Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2012, 06:42   #1
BHPian

MapMyIndia 2-Din ICE

Mod Note : Please upload pictures ONLY via the Team-BHP Attachment System. To know how to, click here

MMI has a couple of 2DIN HU's which look decent. They have HU's with car specific facia but also have a universal model which fits in most 2DIN slots.

A friend fitted the universal version in her car and I was quite impressed with the overall build etc. She got the USB only version (MechLess) for less than 20k in Bangalore includin fitting. MMI itself is retailin for 20k on site.

Specs or the MechLess version (without DVD)

AVN 11 Mechless
  • Fully functional 15.8cm Touch screen.
  • 4.1 Audio Channel
  • Professional audio/video system
  • Radio AM/FM Digital Tune
  • Steering wheel control system
  • Built in bluetooth hands-free control
  • Supports A2DP music streaming
  • Auto switching to rear view camera input
  • EQ mode display
  • IR remote control
Connectivity
  • Supports A2DP Music Streaming. Enjoy listening to your favourite music while on the move. These are bluetooth interface.
  • Rear View Camera Input
  • AM/FM PLL Synthesizer tuner with 30 pre-set stations
  • USB PORT/SD CARD SLOT

Bluetooth :
The device comes with Bluetooth with A2DP & hands free support that allows you to connect you mobile phone and send & receive calls directly through your in dash unit.

Radio
High quality radio to listen to your favorite music numbers. Stuck in traffic. No problem. Just switch on the radio & swing to your favorite bollywoood tunes. Driving has never been so fun.

Mp4 /Mp3 Support
In Dash system from MapmyIndia provides support for Mp3 as well MP4 format. This enables seamless playback of music as well as video to keep you entertained.
Other Features:
  • Fully functional large touch screen
  • Steering Control Support
  • Fully functional remote control
  • Preset Equalizer (Nature/Pop/Rock)
  • Reverse Camera Input Support

For 20k this seems like a reasonable deal overall? Much less jugaad and experimentation involved.
Is this a Windows CE type device? MMI is loaded onto a 2GB SD card. Can we run external apps on this? What kind of steering remote would work with this thing?

Looking forward to hear the feedback on this device.

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2012 at 15:43. Reason: See note in post
COUGAR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 09:58   #2
BHPian

Re: MapMyIndia 2-Din ICE

From the reviews , it looks like a nice device. I am still searching for a cheap GPS device in Malaysia. Not sure whether I should buy a garmin here or go back and buy Mapmyindia device :(.
Old 18th November 2012, 17:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Do we have to forego our OEM equipment? Are they compatible with ALL auto manufacturers?

Is the audio quality comparable to the good audio equipments?
Old 18th November 2012, 20:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Do we have to forego our OEM equipment? Are they compatible with ALL auto manufacturers?

Is the audio quality comparable to the good audio equipments?
Err... how otherwise does one fit it in - without removing the OE HU?

Compatibility is an issue of fitting it in the slot provided. One has to check:
- whether the OE HU is not to DIN size (happens, but rarely)
- whether one needs an adapter / fascia insert that would cover the gaps around the 2DIN unit - gap due to OE HU occupying a larger than 2DIN size in the dashboard.

On the audio quality front, no, none of these units comes anywhere close to purpose-build after-market HUs from the major brands - Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, etc. The difference is especially palpable with good speakers.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 09:49   #5
BHPian

Does anyone tried it so far? if so, can you comment on audio quality.

I am thinking to buy it for my duster.
Old 8th March 2013, 11:06   #6
BHPian

I too am looking for such a device that integrates navigtaion, bluetooth, rear camera support and also plays popular music formats. The price of this unit is now listed at 17990 on mapmyindia website. I am wondering if this will be a good choice to replace the stock ice unit in my skoda rapid. Is the sound quality of such units below par as compared to the stock units? Because I can live with the sound quality of the stock ICE.
Old 8th March 2013, 11:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
Does anyone tried it so far? if so, can you comment on audio quality.

I am thinking to buy it for my duster.
I tried it on my Liva. The audio quality is just about okay. For real music lovers, I dont think this device will suffice.

There is another problem, if you are activating the map, you can't control the audio. You can run only one app at a time, the rest goes off. At least that's what it appeared to me. (Please note, I might be wrong here, because all my logic says that there should be ways to see the map as well as listen to sound -- but setting that dual mode is non-trivial and I gave up).

Finally I settled for Pioneer ICE and a separate navigator from mapmyindia. Both work perfect.

Last edited by subratasenn : 8th March 2013 at 11:26.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 15:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
... Is the sound quality of such units below par as compared to the stock units? ...
It is - because of the compromises made in hardware to keep cost in check. Stock ICE works quite decently with good speakers - the OE speakers are usually the weak point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
... if you are activating the map, you can't control the audio ...
You only have to figure out how to switch between tasks - should be mentioned in the manual. If you are used to switching between applications on a PC, you are actually stymied by the lack of keyboard & mouse.

Both Windows CE (used in most such units) and Android have a method to switch between tasks. And all such units would allow Playback AND Navigation at the same time. Navigation just mutes all other audio sources to for the nav instructions to be vocalised over the speakers WHEN it needs to speak out.
Old 10th August 2015, 15:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
It is - because of the compromises made in hardware to keep cost in check. Stock ICE works quite decently with good speakers - the OE speakers are usually the weak point.
How is the SQ for this Product ? Would you recommend it over the Stock fitment in RXL purely from SQ with speakers remaining the same ? I am looking at it purely from Navigation and reverse Camera Support in an integrated Console..

http://www.mapmyindia.com/in-dash-av...s/avn-r-duster
Old 10th August 2015, 16:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
How is the SQ for this Product ? Would you recommend it over the Stock fitment in RXL purely from SQ with speakers remaining the same ? ...
Let us put it this way: the SQ of the original HU that comes with Duster, Micra etc. is leagues ahead of the MapMyIndia unit. If you fit this, you will get Navigation but audio will be inferior.

There are navigation units from Kenwood, Pioneer, Blaupunkt etc. which fit in the Duster straightaway with a bezel adapter that costs a couple of 100 (installers either have it or get it). These units have audio SQ superior to that of the OE HU. Nav maps are usually Garmin or TomTom. Effectively they cost the same as the MMI unit, and they have far better SQ, BT connectivity, iDevice / Android support etc.

There are some nav-ready units too which accept an external box with MMI maps (BX100 for Kenwood, BX200 for Pioneer, etc.), in case one wants MMI maps ONLY. Together they cost the same as units with built-in navigation. I myself don't see an advantage using MMI maps, as Garmin and TomTom are as good - but with much better map update policies. With MMI, if you lose the SD card containing maps, they will ask you to pay 4K even if your license is current!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks