Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:55   #166
BHPian

Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm looking forward to operate a couple of things while on road, 1> kettle for hot water, 2>small blender for smoothies, 3>Another kettle that can be used for pastas/soup etc..

I'm trying to drop #3 as that device is rated as 1200watts, I'm already using #1 that is from the tropicool, for years and its working just fine.
I have got the 300watts inverter from tropicool and its working fine for notebook/phone charging and anything for that capacity.
I'm trying to add the ability to use #2 which is rated at 400watts. I'm looking forward to add the other inverter from tropicool (below) that allows 1000watt devices, but seems it needs 24v dc input. While I understand the car battery will provide on 12v dc.
Any ideas how to achieve the 24v dc input if I'm planning to use this device on road trips??
I am afraid I am a little late to the party. It has been mentioned in this thread so many times that for cooking, heating purposes on the road,you would be better off using a small gas stove than trying to squeeze 1000 W out of your car.

Here is why (at the risk of repeating): 1000 W requires about 100 A from the battery/Alternator of your car. You are looking at least an alternator capable of supplying 120 A or above - unlikely in your car.

Car electrical system is designed for the specific car needs + some additional capacity to supply ICE etc. Massive dips in the supply line can cause havoc with ECU.

As for #2 : Small blender for smoothies : Look for one rated at around 150 VA and the existing 300 W inverter will be happy to supply this requirement without breaking into a sweat.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 00:44   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I am afraid I am a little late to the party. It has been mentioned in this thread so many times that for cooking, heating purposes on the road,you would be better off using a small gas stove than trying to squeeze 1000 W out of your car.

Here is why (at the risk of repeating): 1000 W requires about 100 A from the battery/Alternator of your car. You are looking at least an alternator capable of supplying 120 A or above - unlikely in your car.

Car electrical system is designed for the specific car needs + some additional capacity to supply ICE etc. Massive dips in the supply line can cause havoc with ECU.

As for #2 : Small blender for smoothies : Look for one rated at around 150 VA and the existing 300 W inverter will be happy to supply this requirement without breaking into a sweat.
Thank you for the response, sure I'm not going to risk the car battery for these things. I should be okay if I have to get a spare battery that can be used in the car, need to find out the options with the battery seller I usually go to.
Old 4th January 2018, 03:35   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post

I'm looking forward to add the other inverter from tropicool (below) that allows 1000watt devices, but seems it needs 24v dc input. While I understand the car battery will provide on 12v dc.
Any ideas how to achieve the 24v dc input if I'm planning to use this device on road trips??
This is possible by connecting two 12V batteries in series. For a 1000W device to work on battery for 1 hr, you would need two 35Ah batteries. These are the types of batteries seen in small hatchbacks.

What I said above is the theoretical aspect to solve your problem. In practice, you need to spend the money for two batteries, find the space to store it properly, and finally a provision to charge these batteries.
knightrider_7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 09:41   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
This is possible by connecting two 12V batteries in series. For a 1000W device to work on battery for 1 hr, you would need two 35Ah batteries. These are the types of batteries seen in small hatchbacks.

What I said above is the theoretical aspect to solve your problem. In practice, you need to spend the money for two batteries, find the space to store it properly, and finally a provision to charge these batteries.
Theoretically you would need 41.6 A from your 24 V batteries to supply 1000 W device through an inverter (ignoring losses and efficiencies). A 35AH battery would supply this kind of current for only a few minutes. An automobile kind of battery is not designed for deep discharge and hence would die early.

To the OP: How about a small petrol driven generator ? Noise would only be the deterrent.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 15:42   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post

Thank you, I guess these suggestions make sense. I'm thinking of limiting my requirements to current 300W capacity only for now since this may not be an ongoing requirement and may not need a long term solution.

Quote:
Theoretically you would need 41.6 A from your 24 V batteries to supply 1000 W device through an inverter (ignoring losses and efficiencies). A 35AH battery would supply this kind of current for only a few minutes. An automobile kind of battery is not designed for deep discharge and hence would die early.

To the OP: How about a small petrol driven generator ? Noise would only be the deterrent.
Thanks, the small generator idea is better it seems, it may take lesser space than the two batteries we were thinking about and car electrical are not touched for this once in a while type requirement.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 15:02   #171
BHPian

Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc-vantro-inverter.jpg

Have anyone of you used or know anything about this product? Is it reliable?
https://www.vantro.in/product/vantro-power-inverter/ This is their portal.
It seems to be a good product from the reviews in Amazon (https://www.amazon.in/Vantro-Power-Inverter-200W-Port/dp/B07L6B4XH7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=car+inverter&qid=1602 913552&sr=8-1) and it is economical as well. Only thing I couldn't figure out is its amp value it draws from the car power point. I have asked the same to their customer care and awaiting their feedback.
Kia Sonet owner's manual says any device with amp upto 10A can be used.
Old 17th October 2020, 18:10   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
Only thing I couldn't figure out is its amp value it draws from the car power point.
The inverter will draw about 16 A from your car (ignoring losses, efficiencies and loads on USB) when it supplies its full rated load of 200 VA. But depending upon what is connected, it would easily overload your 10 A rating.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 20:55   #173
BHPian

Quote:
The inverter will draw about 16 A from your car (ignoring losses, efficiencies and loads on USB) when it supplies its full rated load of 200 VA. But depending upon what is connected, it would easily overload your 10 A rating.
Thanks! I get the 16A calculation - so if I connect only a laptop charger of 90W/2.5A to this inverter, will that create any problem? Upto 120W is safe on the power point (12V x 10A) with this rating isn't it? I mean the inverter rating of 200W is the maximum it can support and the rating of device we connect to it directly affects the power point rating - is that a correct understanding?
BKB999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 14:41   #174

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Hello,

Has some one used a Car Inverter in car for long drives and can advise me on the preferred/favorite brand and/or model, for use in my XL6 Zeta MT. Also advise the devices that can be charged using the said Car Inverter and the precautions to be taken while using the same.

Hoping to hear from your experiences - you knowledgeable Folks.

Regards

Vikas Grover
Old 16th December 2020, 11:01   #175
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vgrover3 View Post
Hello,

Has some one used a Car Inverter in car for long drives and can advise me on the preferred/favorite brand and/or model, for use in my XL6 Zeta MT. Also advise the devices that can be charged using the said Car Inverter and the precautions to be taken while using the same.
I have been using Belkin 200 VA inverter for almost a decade. Any good brand inverter will work too. Just make sure that you don't exceed its ratings. The normal 12 V output socket in a typical car is rated to supply a maximum of 10 A. So this translates to about 100 VA output. You can run any device with a maximum rating of 100 VA - most laptops, electric shaver, ipads and camera chargers. Don't even think about running electric heaters, electric stoves etc.
Another thing many people do which results in catastrophic failures is to bury the inverter under a pile of cloths, blankets etc. The inverters have a small fan to cool the power electronics. If the ports of the inverter is blocked, the output MOSFET devices will likely fail with much sound and light show. You don't want that inside your car. Do you ?
Old 17th December 2020, 12:05   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2069106

https://www.vantro.in/product/vantro-power-inverter/ This is their portal.
It seems to be a good product from the reviews in Amazon (https://www.amazon.in/Vantro-Power-Inverter-200W-Port/dp/B07L6B4XH7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=car+inverter&qid=1602 913552&sr=8-1) and it is economical as well. Only thing I couldn't figure out is its amp value it draws from the car power point. I have asked the same to their customer care and awaiting their feedback.
I have purchased this yesterday after going through reviews in amazon. My main objective is to charge laptop (mine is lenovo TP consuming around 75 W); will update after usage.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 12:48   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2069106

https://www.vantro.in/product/vantro-power-inverter/
I have been using this very product since late October, and am completely satisfied with it. I used to have a Belkin in the past, but I had lost it over the years. Based on initial experiences, I would recommend this over the Belkin, especially given the price differential.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 13:16   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I have purchased this yesterday after going through reviews..
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I would recommend this over the Belkin, especially given the price differential.
Thanks to both of you
I have also bought this last week after checking with their customer care. I have used it in Baleno for a long journey and it delivers power well within its described range. I also tried it in my Sonet last week and worked well. Both cars' power socket is rated as 120W and therefore I tried only one laptop and a mobile - using the USB port, not the AC charger, so that it won't be overloaded. The laptop charger is rated 95W. I like the car battery volt display on this product; helps to decide if the battery is down and should we disconnect it. overall, I feel it is worth for the money.
Only con is the shorter length of its cable which can be neglected because the chargers will usually have enough length. We have to place the invertor on the center console or if you have power point on the rear that would be the best - see the photo that I took from the Baleno.Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc-img_20201125_121955585_hdr.jpg

Last edited by BKB999 : 17th December 2020 at 13:19.
BKB999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 22:32   #179
BHPian

Bumping an old thread...
I am considering buying a car inverter /Power Delivery Car Charger for my car, which will be brought from the US by a cousin.

Requirements-
1. Charge two OnePlus phones simultaneously.
2. Potentially charge an iPad (2019 model) at the same time.
3. If not iPad, charge a MacBook Air (2021 model C Type Charging Pin) instead.

Not sure which would be more useful as it appears all new Apple Devices have either Lightening or ThunderBolt pins only.

Advise appreciated.

Most Viewed