Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 13:55   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ac 240V- DC 12V converter

Seems to be a low power converter, useful for mobile phone charging nly. For a Car Vacuum cleaner you need a heftier adapter. Please check the current required (should be written on the plate where model and serial number is), and get an adapter of at least twice the rating. If you cannot get the running current, try and measure it with a multimeter when the cleaner is running.
Old 8th September 2011, 15:40   #92
BANNED

@white-rabbit; A Vacuum cleaner takes anywhere from 150 to 1000 Watts Just convert to 12V this is about 13A to 80A. Add about 30% for the inverter efficiency. So we are looking at 15-100A. No way will the battery be able to provide this kind of power from the Accessory socket. The socket carries a fuse of 10 or 15A. Even running it from the battery will require hefty cables. Very few cars have alternators rated much above 65A, though 100A units do exist. So you have the answer!
Old 9th September 2011, 11:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@white-rabbit; A Vacuum cleaner takes anywhere from 150 to 1000 Watts Just convert to 12V this is about 13A to 80A. Add about 30% for the inverter efficiency. So we are looking at 15-100A. No way will the battery be able to provide this kind of power from the Accessory socket. The socket carries a fuse of 10 or 15A. Even running it from the battery will require hefty cables. Very few cars have alternators rated much above 65A, though 100A units do exist. So you have the answer!
The home Vacuum Cleaner may take this power, but my Car Vaccum is a low power device, which runs merrily on the cigarette lighter socket. I estimate the power requirement to be around 20W
Here are some links :
12.5W : Black & Decker Car Vacuum Cleaners ACV 1205 . Buy Best Black & Decker Car Vacuum Cleaners ACV 1205 at Lowest Price Online
Unknown : Car Vacuum Cleaner and Car Polish - Indiavarta.com
Old 9th September 2011, 13:53   #94
BANNED

Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

@Aroy; I know. Also you have portables like DustBusters which are rechargeable, and far more powerful that the car toys. I was looking at home vacuum cleaners, since the car ones run of 12V so would not figure in the discussion.

In my experience there are many places where the vacuum has to be used on blow rather than suction.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:45   #95
BHPian

I wanted to check if anyone has used a 1200 - 1500 watt converter (would have to be connected to the batteries) - the use case is for running a good DA orbiter polisher. At the place I park there are no power sockets and buying a genset is way too overkill. How do you suggest this be done?
Old 14th September 2011, 10:35   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverhick View Post
I wanted to check if anyone has used a 1200 - 1500 watt converter (would have to be connected to the batteries) - the use case is for running a good DA orbiter polisher. At the place I park there are no power sockets and buying a genset is way too overkill. How do you suggest this be done?
1500W output would mean about 2KW input. The calculations for running off the battery for one hour are :
2KW x 1 H = 2KWH = 2000/12 AH for 12V battery = 167AH battery. As One Hour discharge means derating the capacity by 50%, you require at least 300AH batter - 2 x 150AH. Not recommended load for a normal car battery (40-80AH normally). You can use a 2KW Inverter with 2-4 batteries of sufficient capacity. If you want the power for only 20min, a singe 150AH battery may suffice. Try to find out exactly how much power your tool requires, it may need much less than 1KW, and then getting just an inverter to run off the car battery may make sense.

Alternatively I have seen Chinese battery powered tools - drills, saws etc, abroad. You can get those, and they may suffice your requirement.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:06   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1500W output would mean about 2KW input. ...
LOL Sir, don't you think KISS principles would be more appropriate here? It would be cheaper to buy a looong length of 3 core cable (long enough to run it to the nearest power point; even if it is to the apartment), with a 15A plug at one end and a distribution box at the other. Would obviate the risk of running the battery down!!!
Old 14th September 2011, 15:33   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
LOL Sir, don't you think KISS principles would be more appropriate here? It would be cheaper to buy a looong length of 3 core cable (long enough to run it to the nearest power point; even if it is to the apartment), with a 15A plug at one end and a distribution box at the other. Would obviate the risk of running the battery down!!!
Surely given a choice the power plug option is the best. My apartment complex folks might get a bit finicky if they see me plugging into the common power socket and that is why I was looking for a better option
Old 14th September 2011, 15:34   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1500W output would mean about 2KW input. The calculations for running off the battery for one hour are :
2KW x 1 H = 2KWH = 2000/12 AH for 12V battery = 167AH battery. As One Hour discharge means derating the capacity by 50%, you require at least 300AH batter - 2 x 150AH. Not recommended load for a normal car battery (40-80AH normally). You can use a 2KW Inverter with 2-4 batteries of sufficient capacity. If you want the power for only 20min, a singe 150AH battery may suffice. Try to find out exactly how much power your tool requires, it may need much less than 1KW, and then getting just an inverter to run off the car battery may make sense.

Alternatively I have seen Chinese battery powered tools - drills, saws etc, abroad. You can get those, and they may suffice your requirement.
Thanks for the detailed response. The tool might be close to 1KW. One of the options I was considering was to keep the car running and plug the inverter to the car battery. Would the charging of the battery keep pace with the power usage?
Old 15th September 2011, 11:44   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverhick View Post
Thanks for the detailed response. The tool might be close to 1KW. One of the options I was considering was to keep the car running and plug the inverter to the car battery. Would the charging of the battery keep pace with the power usage?
At 1KW you will need approximately 100A, factoring in the efficiency of the inverter. So if your Alternator is capable of delivering this current, then you may, else the battery will be drained fast. Running the vehicle at high RPM; to generate high current; is expensive in terms of fuel. If may be financially more prudent to invest in an extra long heavy duty extension cord for your tools.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:45   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Sorry, I just saw your post. This is what I have suggested as a financially viable solution.
Old 26th October 2011, 09:32   #102
BHPian

Re: Car Inverter-Cum-Charger With 220 V AC Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Today, I received it from Blue Dart courier. Manufactured by Belkin Inc., USA, made in China, imported by a Bangalore-based company and sold by another New Delhi-based one! Letsbuy.com did it really super-fast.
thanks for the info ravi. I have placed an order today for the same...
cheers,
Jai
Old 26th October 2011, 10:46   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Today, I received it from Blue Dart courier. Manufactured by Belkin Inc., USA, made in China, imported by a Bangalore-based company and sold by another New Delhi-based one! Letsbuy.com did it really super-fast.
Attachment 584500Attachment 584501
I have the same one for our car. Bought from Croma, Hadapsar, Pune for a similar price. A Very good piece of equipment, can easily power a Laptop. Even comes with a cooling fan for the unit. High quality product
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 11:06   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 584500Attachment 584501
can you post a picture of the item . It will give us an idea of size and sockets available.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 11:58   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
can you post a picture of the item . It will give us an idea of size and sockets available.
It has a standard USB port, and a 5A 3-pin plug point. Both can be used together. Will try to click a picture and post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks