Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2013, 10:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE-ing my Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
... I am not planning to go for an amp as of now. the built-in 50Wx4 should suffice me as of now with my 120W Hertz coaxs and components. ...
The "built-in 50Wx4" is actually 14-18W RMW (50W is W MUSIC - which doesn't mean anything really). The speaker is likely to be rated in W RMS.

It is not a question of 'sufficing'. An external amplifier of 40W RMS or more per channel gives a far superior listening experience even at normal listening levels. That is because the amplifier handles dynamics of music far better than the small internal amplifiers. Please do listen whenever you can to the same speakers driven by an amp - the difference will be apparent.

However, a decision due to budget limitation is not a wrong decision.

Last edited by DerAlte : 13th January 2013 at 10:39.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 10:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The "built-in 50Wx4" is actually 14-18W RMW (50W is W MUSIC - which doesn't mean anything really). The speaker is likely to be rated in W RMS.

It is not a question of 'sufficing'. An external amplifier of 40W RMS or more per channel gives a far superior listening experience even at normal listening levels. That is because the amplifier handles dynamics of music far better than the small internal amplifiers. Please do listen whenever you can to the same speakers driven by an amp - the difference will be apparent.

From the specs, it is 22W RMS x 4 for the 8490BT.

By sufficing I meant I will be satisfied but not happy To be happy, I would need an amp, which like you correctly identified, is being given a miss due to budget restrictions. Difficult to plonk 50-60k in one shot and I'd not like to settle for a second best thing. So a slow upgrade path is what I chose.

True, the music dynamics improve and everything is even more clearer with an amp and I've heard it. Just that it will have to wait (as would the sub)! *sigh*

Last edited by nileshch : 13th January 2013 at 11:01.
Old 14th January 2013, 18:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Great choice of ICE components, @anToNIcHeN!
Thanks buddy.
Quote:
How much did it cost you? I might plomp my money on it once I reach my target savings. How has been your experience with the HU in general?
It costed me 27K. Now that new models are about to come out (Source CES 2013), this should come down.
My experience with the HU have been good. I have not been able to use the HU to its maximum (several features work along with Iphone).
Few complaints:
1. It doesnt have Parametric EQ (though it gives 8band GEQ).
2. Time alignment is very basic.
3. Bluetooth address book sync has few issues sometimes (It doesnt get synced always. Not sure if its becoz of my phone or some firmware issue with HU).

Quote:
Also, didn't see you mention about damping material. Did you install them? If yes, which brand?
No I didnt install them at all!. Vento build quality is really good i would say. Only "damping" used was some sponge as you can see in the pics.

One thing I wanted to add here. With my current set up, I made the HPF and LPF setting like this --> HPF at 80Hz and LPF at 80Hz. So my speakers gets only sound signals above 80Hz (and ofcourse, Subwoofer gets sound signals <=80Hz).
And I have seen that, only if I cut the HPF and really crank up the volume, would I see some sort of jarring and vibration from the Door panels.
Hence with current set up, I wouldnt require any damping on the doors. So decided against it.

Quote:
I am not planning to go for an amp as of now. the built-in 50Wx4 should suffice me as of now with my 120W Hertz coaxs and components. What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Completely agree with DerAlte here. If possible, do try to get an amp.
But if the issue is budget, like you have mentioned, do take a slow upgrade path.

Quote:
Difficult to plonk 50-60k in one shot and I'd not like to settle for a second best thing. So a slow upgrade path is what I chose.
I dont think you would need to spend that much (I am guessing that you would only need a HU + amp as you already have hertz speakers). Try to source it from US. Amps are much cheaper out there.

Most Viewed