Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 18:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Head-Unit showing USB error!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
... 3. Delete album arts, thumbs etc from all the files (I used Mp3tag) ...
Too small to worry about. HU reads what it wants, and disregards the rest. Most touchscreen HUs need the album art files, though if it doesn't find any it will show blank album art.

Quote:
... 4. Avoid multilevel folders i.e if you have a folder with music files, do not add another folder inside it. ...
Huh? Only primitive HUs can't manage multi-level folders. Modern HUs can handle multi-level directory systems quite easily. Please check with your HU manual if it can or not.

Quote:
... I followed these steps and tested my 8 GB drive with the Classic's HU and it played almost 20-25 songs without any breaks. ...
Let it play for some time. The errors usually turn up deeper in the directory. Reformatting usually takes care of temporary bad 'sectors' on pendrives and SD cards.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 18:59   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to all those who responded. If the error pops up again, I'll be back with updates
If the error pops-up again, try running chkdsk command on your drive which tells you if there is any bad sector in your pen drive and tries to fix it as well.
As DerAlte suggested, formatting your pen drive would take care of the bad sectors only temporarily and you may face it later, if the actual issue is that.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 19:46   #78
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried with :
a) a different (new) pen-drive
b) songs ripped from CD in MP3 (LAME 320 kbps) using something like Window Media Player or even VLC
c) attaching the pen-drive before the car starts up. And then accessing the pen-drive after 5 mins. Thus giving enough time for the HU to actually read all the files on it.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 21:48   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Modern HUs can handle multi-level directory systems quite easily
Maybe, maybe not. But after following the above mentioned rules religiously, my HU has played songs from the PD flawlessly

Quote:
Let it play for some time. The errors usually turn up deeper in the directory. Reformatting usually takes care of temporary bad 'sectors' on pendrives and SD cards.
Yeah, as mentioned in the previous post, I already did run a full format on the PD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
If the error pops-up again, try running chkdsk command on your drive which tells you if there is any bad sector in your pen drive and tries to fix it as well.
Sure thing buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Have you tried with :
a) a different (new) pen-drive
b) songs ripped from CD in MP3 (LAME 320 kbps) using something like Window Media Player or even VLC
c) attaching the pen-drive before the car starts up. And then accessing the pen-drive after 5 mins. Thus giving enough time for the HU to actually read all the files on it.
Well, the PD is running fine ATM mate, thanks for the suggestions. Will surely look into it if the error recurs.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:51   #80
Senior - BHPian

Reducing the bit-rate from 320kbps to 128kbps might help.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:22   #81
BHPian

RiGOD,
You also might wanna get rid of those 'incomplete' downloaded mp3s (if any).
Say, if the actual file size was supposed to be 4Mb, and for some reason, the mp3 file didn't download fully and did stopped at 800Kb only, and if your HU is trying to read this file, it would end up erroring out.
This happened to me once and I scavenged out all those culprits and now I'm running good.

Might help!

Last edited by vishnu-man : 22nd July 2014 at 10:34. Reason: Grammar
vishnu-man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 16:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. ...
JVC manual says:
Name:  USBJVC.png
Views: 791
Size:  51.0 KB

Kenwood manual mentions:
Name:  USBKenwood.png
Views: 658
Size:  32.0 KB

Pioneer manual says:
Name:  USBPioneer.png
Views: 725
Size:  57.3 KB

Ditto for Blaupunkt, Alpine, Sony and Clarion. Which ones fall under "maybe not"???

There is always a limit on the number of directory entries (folders and files) that the HU supports on USB / SD (FAT 16/32 format) and CD - anything between 10000 and 131000. Additionally, the subdirectory hierarchy depth is usually 8 max.

It would be misleading and incorrect to advise others without actually verifying facts by reading the user manual, FAQs and other sites / forms that give such technical information. If a certain method apparently works for you for whatever assumption you have made (usually not at all associated with the problem), it is still incorrect to project that as the right method. In your case the simple solution was reformatting the pen-drive, and all other steps have nothing to do with the problem.

Last edited by DerAlte : 22nd July 2014 at 18:57.
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:22   #83
BHPian

Quote:
JVC manual says:
Attachment 1264835

Kenwood manual mentions:
Attachment 1264836

Pioneer manual says:
Attachment 1264837
Getting an error - Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Quote:
Ditto for Blaupunkt, Alpine, Sony and Clarion. Which ones fall under "maybe not"???
Apologies for the same. I was just trying to convey that I'm satisfied with the current setup and in no way interested in multilevel folder arrangement.

Quote:
Additionally, the subdirectory hierarchy depth is usually 8 max.
You're right, for the Ford HU maximum quantity of directory levels is 8.

Quote:
It would be misleading and incorrect to advice others without actually verifying facts by reading the user manual, FAQs and other sites / forms that give such technical information.
You got me all wrong there. I found some information that actually worked for me and thought of sharing the same here.

Quote:
If a certain method apparently works for you for whatever assumption you have made (usually not at all associated with the problem), it is still incorrect to project that as the right method. In your case the simple solution was reformatting the pen-drive, and all other steps have nothing to do with the problem.
Well I'm afraid that you're wrong there mate. I actually did run a complete format on the very same PD before trying all the steps mentioned in my earlier post, and still then it showed USB ERROR at some point. So it was something else that actually fixed it.

To all fellow BHPians - My sincere apologies if I mislead anyone by mentioning that I avoided using the multilevel folder setup. And yeah, removing the tags also might've sounded absurd, so I humbly request everyone to refrain yourselves from trying these steps
Old 22nd July 2014, 19:20   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Getting an error ...
Fixed.

Quote:
... no way interested in multilevel folder arrangement. ...
That's OK.

Quote:
You got me all wrong there. I found some information that actually worked for me and thought of sharing the same here. ...
Did I? Though your heart is in the right place, your observations and inferences were wrong / incomplete. That resulted in the confusion.

Quote:
... Well I'm afraid that you're wrong there mate. ... So it was something else that actually fixed it. ...
See, that "something else" is the problem, right? Unless one knows the right cause, effect and solution, the chain of taking potshots in the dark continues by word of mouth. Before saying the other person is wrong, did you complete your first round of formatting and check if the formatting was done correctly? You didn't, right? You only *later* conjectured from the USB ERROR that the formatting method alone doesn't work.

Last month, I was having the same problem as you did, and the proper formatting sorted out the bad sectors (I do remember having checked the format results). After that, I didn't do anything else but copy the albums I wanted to hear (about 15GB worth on a 16GB pen-drive). I don't even remember how many songs are there, and I think I have folders nested 4 or 5 deep in many places. It is working perfectly.
Old 22nd July 2014, 19:43   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Though your heart is in the right place, your observations and inferences were wrong / incomplete. That resulted in the confusion.
You're right, sure that I did not convey the idea properly in that post

Quote:
Before saying the other person is wrong, did you complete your first round of formatting and check if the formatting was done correctly? You didn't, right? You only *later* conjectured from the USB ERROR that the formatting method alone doesn't work.
Oh dear, now where did that come from? Before googling for a solution, I tried every possible measure like formatting (quick) using NTFS (showed USB ERROR when I inserted the PD itself, didn't even play a single song), FAT 32, avoiding the use of folders and dumping all the files directly and the last one being running a full format on the PD. I'm sure buddy, that too didn't work. And as a matter of fact, the PD was brand new as it was bought exclusively for this purpose (the older one was showing the same error and I though it was the 'snug fit' issue that caused the same). And the possibility of a brand new PD having bad sectors? Is it so likely?
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Before googling for a solution, I tried every possible measure like formatting (quick) using NTFS (showed USB ERROR when I inserted the PD itself, didn't even play a single song), ...
You had done exactly what I was alluding to: taking potshots in the dark. You took "every possible measure" without knowing what you were doing?

Did it not occur to you to read the HU manual as to what is the format that the HU will accept? No HU works with NTFS - only computers do. The manual of *every* HU has a section devoted to USB:
Name:  Screen Shot 20140723 at 1.01.55 pm.png
Views: 653
Size:  89.9 KB

Quote:
... (the older one was showing the same error and I though it was the 'snug fit' issue that caused the same). And the possibility of a brand new PD having bad sectors? Is it so likely?
If you had searched on the forum you would have come across this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ead-units.html. Would have given you clues to what all can go wrong with pen-drives vis-a-vis HUs.

I will be moving posts from the current thread to that one so that the pen-drive knowledge base is in one place. Thanks for adding to the issues one can face.

Last edited by DerAlte : 23rd July 2014 at 13:39.
Old 25th July 2014, 09:16   #87
BHPian

Quote:
JVC manual says:
Attachment 1264927
Connecting a USB-Hub to the rear port on my JVC KD-R736BT has worked fine.
Link on forum: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...head-unit.html
Old 25th July 2014, 14:50   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu-man View Post
Connecting a USB-Hub to the rear port on my JVC KD-R736BT has worked fine. ...
Saw that.

Different HU, right? That is why one has to read the manual to know what is there and what is not. If the HU whose manual specs I quoted doesn't support hubs, it doesn't mean others won't. There are some functionality implementations which have become a standard in all makes, and some which are need based (technically; everything has a cost, no?). One can't assume *every* functionality is either there, or not there. Read the manual, please, before buying or using.

The issue highlighted in this thread was that of nested sub-folders, which all HUs support today. Hub functionality is supported only in HUs that have more than 1 USB port.
Old 28th July 2014, 09:21   #89
BHPian

Re: Pen Drives : Compatibility issues with Head-Units

I have a strange issue on one of my 16 GB San Disk pendrive. It does get recognized on the HU but not any of the computers. I have tried it on 3 different computers but it did not get recognized.
Old 5th September 2014, 16:38   #90
BHPian

Re: Pen Drives : Compatibility issues with Head-Units

Hello all,

I want to report that HP V-220 W 16 GB Pen Drive works perfectly with Pioneer MVH-355BT Head unit.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks