Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2006, 14:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cd Player With Usb

Hai Folks,I am thinking of upgrading my CD player, some grey areas for me are:

1. Are there DVD players which will be able to play CD/DVD songs too? I am sure I don't want a video player in the car, all I want is an audio player.

2. Which are the good players which have usb into which I can plug in my ipod and play the mp3 songs?

3. What are the approximate costs?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ramky.
========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 6th May 2006 at 15:01. Reason: formatting
Old 6th May 2006, 20:25   #2
BHPian

Ramky,

I am not sure I fully understand what you mean. But I am assuming that you want to record mp3 songs on DVD and play them.

I recently fitted the Sony MEX R1 which has this capability. But then it can also play movies. That is if you had a monitor fitted out.

But if you just want to hear songs that is fine. I however do not think that the cost of audio only is going to be any less then a video capable player. Prices of electronics have come down so much that they just throw in features whether you want them or not.

As far as the connecting the ipod is concerned, I am not sure why you are asking about usb connectiivity. iPods do not have usb connectors built in. There are two ways to play ipod songs on car stereos.

1. By using iTrip which is a transmitter on FM spectrum.
2. Aux in by taking a EP to (mostly) RCA jack.

Audio systems do come with USB connectors but those are targetted at USB stick based mp3 players.

When I went for the Sony system , I chose to have a EP to RCA aux in fitted in due to various benefits.

1. Being a wired connection there is no signal loss due to FM transmission.
2. No additional battery drain for transmission.
3. EPs can go into a variety of external players, since all of them would have one for their headphones.

My Sony R1 set me back by 12K but there are cheaper options too.

Venkat
Old 6th May 2006, 21:14   #3
BHPian

EP- would that be If' I'm correct, be able to plug into my I-pods Headphone socket and play....I have an OEM Kenwood KRC..It can play CD-MD but I've not seen any aux mode ...!
Old 6th May 2006, 22:46   #4
BHPian

Wolf,
I checked the web and found that there are many models under the KRC family. Check the manual and see if there is any input / aux there. If there is then getting a proper connector should be no problem.

Venkat
Old 8th May 2006, 10:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

iPOD and USB

Hai Venkat,

Thanks for the reply.. please note,

But I am assuming that you want to record mp3 songs on DVD and play them.

Yes, I can record more songs on the DVD on the home PC and then carry them on a trip if I have a DVD player on the car too to play MP3 songs.

I recently fitted the Sony MEX R1 which has this capability. But then it can also play movies. That is if you had a monitor fitted out.

I dont't want the monitor as it can be distract me or anybody driving.. it could be dangerous. Yes, the cost differential may be small and it will make sense to take video capable player and keepy the monitor option open....

As far as the connecting the ipod is concerned, I am not sure why you are asking about usb connectiivity. iPods do not have usb connectors built in. There are two ways to play ipod songs on car stereos.

1. By using iTrip which is a transmitter on FM spectrum.
2. Aux in by taking a EP to (mostly) RCA jack.

Audio systems do come with USB connectors but those are targetted at USB stick based mp3 players.

For the iPOD, taking in the aux will be ideal. However, I'm exploring the usb plug in options since my 2 sons have stick based mp3 (movo) players.
It wold be ideal if we can just plug in their mp3 players into the car sterio and listen in. You know when they put on their head-pnones and start listening to their songs others in the car are plugged-out, so I want to include them into the party......

My Sony R1 set me back by 12K but there are cheaper options too.

Will check out R1 today.....

Thanks to everyone ....

---Ramky

Most Viewed