Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2006, 00:05   #1
Team-BHP Support

For whom the bell tolls

I never thought that I’d write something in this section.

Reasons are more than one:

1. Like many other subjects, I don’t understand this one.
2. I don’t understand those technical calculations to arrive at a so-called perfect or near perfect solution.
3. I don’t know how much or how little to pay for a good ICE setup.

BUT! I know or I believe:

1. Like any kind of spending on audio systems, sky is the limit.
2. If you have something that is top of the line today… it’s only for a few days more. Soon, very soon some other better system will come up to spoil your good night’s sleep.
3. By and large it’s more important for others to know how good or powerful your ICE setup is.
4. People will tell you what’s wrong with your system and what a serious mistake you’ve made by buying that particular amplifier or that head unit.
5. Every single installer in your town has better knowledge than the other.

A fairly complicated scenario as far as lay man, like me is concerned.

I had a problem. Every time I switched on my audio system, lights started playing waltz along with the music. I didn’t have to see the crescendo but the blinking was clearly visible within low volume level.

Comments poured in, but in vain. Non of them worked. Sam like a true friend believes that I’m of the kind who’ll spend money for no rhyme or reason. His point was very clear: Live with what you have. Also, he suggested that if I’m so stubborn then I should ease the load of my four channel amplifier by adding one more amplifier for my bass tube only.

I did that through his supervision. Sound did improve. And lights blinking problem reduced but remained. I did make a complaint but like a true friend he shouted back saying: You’re too finicky. Nonetheless he threatened me saying he’ll stop calling me a friend.

With such reassuring statements and lot of booze and good times he left me for Bombay. Coming back home in the middle of the night and in the river of dreams I was engulfed with the same problem.

Feeling deeply depressed and finding no hope in the horizon, I checked with Preetam of Sound Factor. He asked me to hook up a 1.2 F capacitor. If nothing, it would handle my low frequency issue.
One 1.2 F Audiobhan capacitor, that looks like a time bomb parked next to my 4 channel amplifier. His logic was impeccable. Since this blinking problem was there from the very beginning, it should be connected there only. Long distance discussion with brother Sam ensured that I only pay if I’m happy with (if any) improvement.

I came back home with music and my (still) dancing lights!

Next morning started with a headache.
Is this a big problem? Am I thinking too much? Is this normal?
I didn’t know. But I knew lights are not supposed to dance with my music. They’re not supposed to do that or designed for that.

Spoke to JK. PM’d Kb100. Navin, from his busy schedule made some comments to help. One of psycho’s friend told me that Audibhan is all crap and I should go for the brand Tsunami.

Gunbir, from my post to him long back knew my problem. He wanted to know few things:

1. At what volume this blinking happens?
2. What are the speakers number and how many of them and in what configuration.
3. What kind of music do I listen.

Few weeks down the line I got a diagram from Gunbir and a suggestion on who to go to - TMC ELECTRONICS, original and first dealer for the brand BLAUPUNKT.

Last Friday I spent fully with Venu (TMC ELECTRONICS) and came back home happy (playing music) for the first time. Saturday, I went back to fine tune the amps settings to suit my kind of music.

He did explain to me about what he did. But don’t ask me, ask him.
He understood my requirements with great patience, listening to Pat Metheny and Windham Mills…Giving me all those minute notes and strokes from acoustic guitars.
Three days down the line I got what I wanted. No over bearing on top of you fatigue stricken sound but massive sound stage. With every nuance.

Sorry, this long stupid note is for those who want to play music for themselves. Not for pedestrians to look at you with a total awe, when you pass by.

As Gunbir says, somebody’s SQ is somebody’s SPL. I do agree with that.

Music, inside your car is for you to enjoy. Try to find your enjoyment and soul. Don’t build your setup for outsiders. It’s a colossal waste.

For every member in this forum: Do what you think is right for you. Do not go over board. At the end of the day, it’ll be you who’s spending money without knowing for what.

My sincere thanks to:

Sam for supporting me as my brother/friend.

KB100 for supplying info.

JKDas for continues support.

Gunbir for helping me right through installation.

Venu for spending time and giving me what I wanted.

Navin for not editing this post.

Foot note for my setup:

1. Headunit - OE fitment - Blaupunkt with in dash cd changer.
2. Speakers Front: Hertz High energy series HSK130 51/4" component speakers.
3. Speakers Rear: Blaupunkt Transperent series TS504 51/4" component speakers
4. Amplifier : 4channel Blaupunkt GTA450 to drive 4 full range speakers.
5. Amplifier : 2 channel JBL CS60.2 to drive the sub.
6. Sub. : Blaupunkt bass tube GTT1200
7. Capacitor : Audioban1.2Fd.
8. RCA cables: connection audison FT2600 - 3Nos.
9. Double Fuse block with fuse and 4swg and 8swg power cable.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th May 2006 at 06:49.
Old 9th May 2006, 00:20   #2
BHPian

I am happy that your dancing lights problem has been solved and also happy to note that u r enjoying the music the way you wanted it to be.

From support team: Do not quote the whole thread in your post. It takes lot of space.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th May 2006 at 00:24.
Old 9th May 2006, 01:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rudra Sir

Thanks and you're welcome. Nothing gives us more pleasure than to see a true music lover doing what he spent his good money for in the first place.... to enjoy his music. I'm thrilled for you... To us, this is what its all about. Those Hi-Energys are a great set of speakers... Dig out those old CDs and enjoy

Venu, while I know from you what was wrong in Rudra Sirs car, a lot of people (who have been following his problem) could benefit from your explanation...

Cheers
Old 9th May 2006, 09:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Like many other subjects, I don’t understand this one.
I don’t know how much or how little to pay for a good ICE setup.
Having gone through your setup, looks like you seem to know what you want.

i am sure you havent paid little for your setup, would like to know how much did it cost.

Quote:
5. Every single installer in your town has better knowledge than the other.
this applies to all profession...
Old 9th May 2006, 09:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

Great job Venu and Gunbir. See what good cabling and a patient, talented installer can do.

BTW guys when Rudra gets romatic and pens these essays he is often "under the influence". BTW he is a super photographer who has an extemely keen eye for detail. Just check out his 1959 Amby.

Last edited by navin : 9th May 2006 at 09:36.
Old 9th May 2006, 10:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

How did the problem got solved. What changes did u make. Plz tell...
Old 9th May 2006, 10:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ah, now I am happy. Was too worried why one of the best setup (yo, setup varies frm person to person) here at TBHP had this problem. I too had this problem with my old car but then there was no tbhp at that time.

Just one thing like Rudra pointed out; " As Gunbir says, somebody’s SQ is somebody’s SPL. I do agree with that." I like my car's ICE setup. Like I told Karthik247; get what you want and not how 'my' car's ICE sound. He happy, me happy, seller happy.

And one more thing, just make up your mind before buying stuffs, a seller and an amateur installer will brainwash you and get you a bad setup.

@steer ; wait till KB posts his ICE setup in teh near future. hehe

Last edited by jkdas : 9th May 2006 at 10:56.
Old 9th May 2006, 10:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Name the poison, Rudro - phenomenal thread. Your best written yet, if I may.

Quote:
1. Like many other subjects, I don’t understand this one.
2. I don’t understand those technical calculations to arrive at a so-called perfect or near perfect solution.
3. I don’t know how much or how little to pay for a good ICE setup.
Okay, but you know what you want and how you want it.

Quote:
Nonetheless he threatened me saying he’ll stop calling me a friend.
Why didnt you grab the opportunity? You may live to regret

Quote:
Giving me all those minute notes and strokes from acoustic guitars.
Three days down the line I got what I wanted.
Now, how many people can claim that sort of satisfaction? I personally dont like the setup in my car, but everyone I talk to seems to be going overboard with huge amps and subs and I'm scared that I will spend a ton of money and still remain unsatisfied, which is where I am at today without spending that ton of $$$....I hope that I'll reach the same state of audio nirvana as you have.

Once again, what were you drinking last night?
Old 9th May 2006, 12:08   #9
Team-BHP Support

For those who need to "understand" the Old Man please read Post #1 on this thread...I think it is simply fanstastic! If only there were more Rudras out there.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ar-review.html
Old 9th May 2006, 12:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Audiobahn doesn't make any 1.2 Farad caps, so it's probably a fake, and hence certainly crap.
Old 9th May 2006, 12:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Audiobahn doesn't make any 1.2 Farad caps, so it's probably a fake, and hence certainly crap.
Can you support this statement with proper proof? I'm yet to pay for this and need to know...
Old 9th May 2006, 12:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

Rudra what is the model number on the cap? Does it start with ACAP...?

http://www.audiobahn.com/Audiobahn06...apacitors.html

http://www.mmxpress.com/Audiobahn/images/caps.jpg

http://www.carstereoworld.com/audiobahn/abcap.html

Last edited by navin : 9th May 2006 at 12:40.
Old 9th May 2006, 12:41   #13
Team-BHP Support

Navin, I'll let you know in an hour. This is bothering me now!!
Sam, where are you?
Old 9th May 2006, 12:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Rudra, that made a very interesting read

Also about Venu, even though I havent gone in for an install yet he has very graciously been giving me a lot of information and dicussing my options. Swell guy !

And I think Sam is in the process of JBLfying Baroda !! hehe
Old 9th May 2006, 12:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you support this statement with proper proof? I'm yet to pay for this and need to know...
now whT! more torture!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks