Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2006, 02:06   #1
BHPian

Not in mood to listen, but learn car audio

Hi,

I am a software engineer, just about to finish my MCA. Dont know why but... ya i have started to have this urge to learn what is car audio. I means the theory behind this, various type of calculation that gunbir showed (selecting cables) awesome yaar!!etc..
I have knowledge about the brands in the market, but still some technical terms like TH (for amps), RC cables, damping factor, max input signal etcc..... are not clear. And morover knowing the brands is not enough, isnt it? one needs to know what is inside the brands.

I am i am mood to learn technical things about car audio.

I hope experienced people here would like to guide me about the resources from where i can learn all these things. Like documentation avaliable on the intenet, may be some sort of basic books for sound theory, some setup people in mumbai who are kind enough to teach about how to do setup and rest you all know what i mean.

Ya in the end experince counts everywhere, but still for experience one needs to start from 0.

The thread that gunbir posted about selecting the cable, along with some calculations was great!!!. I could not understands everything in it, but most of the things were clear. I mean i was damm impressed by seeing the level of argument that was going on in that thread.

Hope to see you people helping

Thanks
Amit

Last edited by amit_sound : 9th May 2006 at 02:11.
Old 9th May 2006, 02:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Amit

a great place to begin your research is www.bcae1.com

Also, there are some very knowledgable people in Mumbai like Navinji, B&T, Sam and others who are on the forum. Learning begins with the desire to learn. Ask questions, preferably one at a time, and all of us will be glad to help.

Enjoy

From support team: Do not quote the whole thread in your post. It takes lot of space.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th May 2006 at 06:43.
Old 9th May 2006, 09:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

in my days there was no internet and books weere hard to come by in India. we learnt from smuggled mags like Electronics For You and Elektor, friends and family and a lot of trial and error (I have the solder marks to prove this). However today you can get books from Vance Dickanson and co and specialst mags like Voice Coil and Speaker Builder along wit the ones mentioned above. I would also suggest reading Popular Electroncis and Mechnanics for a more rounded learning experience.

One advantage of playing with audio from age 10. When you get to college you whip eveeryone esp at electrical lab.
Old 9th May 2006, 11:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
in my days there was no internet and books weere hard to come by in India. we learnt from smuggled mags like Electronics For You and Elektor, friends and family and a lot of trial and error (I have the solder marks to prove this). However today you can get books from Vance Dickanson and co and specialst mags like Voice Coil and Speaker Builder along wit the ones mentioned above. I would also suggest reading Popular Electroncis and Mechnanics for a more rounded learning experience.

One advantage of playing with audio from age 10. When you get to college you whip eveeryone esp at electrical lab.
and ripping teh biek apart (oh ok,and putting it back!)

not another navin in the making here :(( nooooooo !!!!!!!!!!
Old 9th May 2006, 12:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Elektor and the other magazines used to be awesome, although they weren't as hard to find when I was young @ Navin . I used to try and build as many projects as my meagre pocket money would allow. That way I had also learnt to read resistor values even before I was taught that in school.

One good approach to car audio is to start experimenting practically once some theory is in place. Although some mistakes might prove expensive...doesn't education always come at a price?
Old 9th May 2006, 13:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

The first Eliminator I made STILL works!!... So does the radio... and the tape recorder... and the .... and... and....

Used to have an interesting class in school - SUPW - Socially Useful Productive Work!!
Old 9th May 2006, 15:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
The first Eliminator I made STILL works!!... So does the radio... and the tape recorder... and the .... and... and....

Used to have an interesting class in school - SUPW - Socially Useful Productive Work!!

I have this habit of tearing apart my DIY projects after using them for some time. Why? Simple. I would have started something new and will need some part urgently. Of course only for the simpler stuff and not my expensive exploits.

How many of you do this?
Old 9th May 2006, 15:33   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
The first Eliminator I made STILL works
You made THE Eliminator?

Oh I get it a battery eliminator! I thought you made a speaker called the Eliminator. That speaker was a killer all Philips components too. Ask my mom she had to put up with the racket.
Old 9th May 2006, 15:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

When I was younger, I spent all my time planning how to go out and impress women so as to end up in a horizontal sort of fashion with them.
One thing that definitely leads to that and other positions (PM me for some very interesting ones) is good music.

Thats what started it. I discovered that often, if the woman wasn't interesting enough, music and wine would help pass the time till she became interesting. With the right music and the right wine, I've realised that all women can become terribly interesting. This of course is fat material for a different kind of forum.

Ah, then in between all the wooing and line-maraoing, i started realising i loved audio. That was the day my life changed, i changed my evil ways.
No more would i seduce a woman with poor audio, NO. I bought myself a quad pre and power amp and only then i went back to the seducing. It felt nice to have changed my evil ways (baby...lord knows you gotta change)
Often i would find myself exploring the nuances of a good song in between some very interesting moments.
One day i realised that good audio itself was stimulation for me. So i got rid of the other feminine stimulations and lived happily ever after.

The End.
Old 9th May 2006, 17:04   #10
Team-BHP Support

Sam's been drinking. I suspect it's a stonger stuff than what Rudra consumed when he wrote his epic.
Old 9th May 2006, 17:06   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
... if the woman wasn't interesting enough, music and wine would help pass the time till she became interesting....
in my case it was "music and wine would help pass the time till she became interested" :-(
Old 9th May 2006, 17:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, then in between all the wooing and line-maraoing, i started realising i loved audio.
Ahh... stuff for a movie... "Experiments in Erotic Harmony: The Sam Kapasi story" coming soon to a B grade theater near you... hehehe

Music was always my first love. I always knew that. But when did I realise I loved Music and Audio more than the other good things in life???.... Many years ago I was driving back from work and these two hot girls wanted a lift. I pulled over and they got in. A few hundred meters away, one of them screecehd... music is too loud, please band kar do. I promptly pulled over and let them out...

And thats my story... wouldnt make a movie though

Last edited by gunbir : 9th May 2006 at 17:09.
Old 9th May 2006, 19:13   #13
BHPian

Thanks to all of you. Will soon start with R&D on books, mags, internet after 15 of this month, as i am busy with my final exams.

Please do keep posting any new though comes to your mind
Old 9th May 2006, 20:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_sound
TPlease do keep posting any new thought comes to your mind
No I cannot. This is a decent forum and I would get banned.
Old 9th May 2006, 22:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sam you are a nice, fluffy, cuddly beautiful sort of mad! ~ Sir Navin Advani
NAVIN !! ........... HOpe this has nothing to do with SAm's last three-four posts on this here forum!!

Fluffy??? .... har har har.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks