Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2013, 13:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Stuff needed to add a second amplifier?

Got hold of a 4 channel amp via classifieds, now for the hard part of adding it.
I already have a 150W RMS stereo amp running in bridged mode driving my sub, and the associated wiring. Need to install the bare minimum stuff to get the amp up and running (will do a proper install + Damping later)

Can I just run a pair of power wires from the existing amp to the new one? maybe upgrade the fuse too, or are distribution blocks etc necessary? I'm looking for a bare bones install.
Old 19th January 2013, 18:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Stuff needed to add a second amplifier?

Without a distribution block, you would have to run another power line from the battery.
How thick is the current power wire to the 2-ch amp?
Old 19th January 2013, 18:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Got hold of a 4 channel amp via classifieds, now for the hard part of adding it.
I already have a 150W RMS stereo amp running in bridged mode driving my sub, and the associated wiring. Need to install the bare minimum stuff to get the amp up and running (will do a proper install + Damping later)

Can I just run a pair of power wires from the existing amp to the new one? maybe upgrade the fuse too, or are distribution blocks etc necessary? I'm looking for a bare bones install.
Hello greenhorn

You can cut the power wire near the existing amp and clamp a thimble on that . Then you can attach another power wire using a thimble with bolt in that which can save you from running new power wire . This is what i have seen been used by installer if person dont want to buy a distribution block . Please find the picture of the thimble i am referring to .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...s-dsc00920.jpg
Safari_Beast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 19:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Got hold of a 4 channel amp ... Can I just run a pair of power wires ...
You could, since you are going to use it for a fairly short time. A DB is not a bad investment - makes the wiring safe.

I doubt if you are the SPL type. At the moment, you can drive both the amps through 1 central fuse - don't change fuse rating. With one power cable supplying 2 amps, there *just maybe* some voltage drop at high volume. If the power cable is not heating up unduly, you are safe.

It would be preferable to use a separate ground for the new amp, instead of jumpering off the sub amp. Easier to debug problems.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks