Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2013, 19:32   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Altis Re-Iced : The "Focal" Point

After a period of over 3 years I decided to do something about the sound in my car that was simply lacking that 'warmth and punch'. Now do keep in mind that my favourite in car music music spans quite a variety of genres ranging from rock, jazz, pop, electronica, easy listening, & old hindi music.

Hoping to achieve this, I changed my head unit thrice! Two JVC units (810 and 836 in 2008 and 2010) and now the Pioneer 8450BT (India spec model is the 9450)back in July 2012

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...p8450bt-2.html

I was still not happy.

My dealer (Poona Motors @ East Street Pune) has known me for 15 years and I do not even consider going to any other dealer. He is absolutely the tops as far as customer satsifaction, cooperation and prices go. I like warm sound with tight punchy bass without overexcited high frequencies and poofy bass that irritate my ears. I considered going from the Infinity Reference speakers/amps/components to the equivalent in the Kappa range. The dealer advised me to try Focal as it would give "my kinda sound"

So based on his advice I went in for the following:

a) Focal Solid 4 - 4 channel amp (the Solid series of amps are now discontinued abroad but still available in India) The FPP series have not been introduced yet.
b) Focal Solid 1 - Single channel amp driving a SW. The amp has a boost/gain control knob that has been installed in the small coin drawer under the side view mirror controls. It slips out of sight and I can control the bass as much as I want and when I want it. Lovely!
c) Focal P165 V30 2 way components speakers for the front
d) Focal SB P30 12" sub woofer (may go in for a 10" model if I find that suitable. The 12" enclosure takes up too much boot space)
e) Focal 690 CA 6x9 2 way drivers for the rear shelf.
f) Scoche Accumat dampening on all 4 doors and the insides of the boot lid
g) Focal installation kit, including 8 AWG power cable, RCA cables, speaker wire and other misc installation parts
h) Van Del Hul Speaker cable for the SW

Switched on the system after the install, it is BEAUTIFUL! I listened to Jazz (Grover Washington Jr on the sax, George Benson electric guitar) Electronica (Chicane) Rock Metallica, REO Speedwagon, Scorpions and old Hindi music at medium volume where I normally listen to music. Then I pumped it up full blast with Chicane playing Offshore 2007! No distortion, clean sound and great punch. Even the installers were pleased. The best part is the doors and boot lid thump shut and road noise has all but vanished.

Came back home with a smile on my face. And wife wonders why I am looking so pleased with myself. Told her I just sorted out an issue that had bugged me for years and left it at that.

Here are some photos. Do excuse the quality all taken with a mobile phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Altis Re-Iced : The "Focal" Point-focal-6x9.jpg  

Altis Re-Iced : The "Focal" Point-focal-components.jpg  

Altis Re-Iced : The "Focal" Point-accumat-left-door.jpg  

Altis Re-Iced : The "Focal" Point-accumat-right-door.jpg  

Altis Re-Iced : The "Focal" Point-focal-solid-4-amp.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th January 2013 at 19:35.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 21:50   #2
BHPian

re: Altis Re-Iced : The "Focal" Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
After a period of over 3 years I decided to do something about the sound in my car that was simply lacking that 'warmth and punch'. Now do keep in mind that my favourite in car music music spans quite a variety of genres ranging from rock, jazz, pop, electronica, easy listening, & old hindi music....
Looks like a nice install. When you are THAT satisfied with the sound, nothing like it. Can you mention the prices??

On a side note, I have also acquired a Focal Solid 4 amp recently and will be installing it soon. It has an RJ45 port which I assume is for a bass controller that you have mentioned along with the Focal Solid 1 Mono. Any advice on where I can source this controller from?
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 22:16   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Looks like a nice install. When you are THAT satisfied with the sound, nothing like it. Can you mention the prices???
I am getting the bill on Mon/Tues & will update you.

Quote:
I assume is for a bass controller that you have mentioned along with the Focal Solid 1 Mono. Any advice on where I can source this controller from?
How much did you pay for the amp? The MRP is 20K.

BTW, I got only 1 controller, but 2 pairs of RJ45 cables so not sure if it came with the 4 channel or SW mono amp. Also not sure if you can buy this separately.

I see the Focal FPP series amps listed on snapdeal.com. Need to get this clarified from the dealer again

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2013 at 12:42. Reason: Merging both your posts.
Old 25th January 2013, 22:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
How much did you pay for the amp? The MRP is 20K...
I bought it 2nd hand. Paid 6k for it. I am talking about Focal Solid4, not the mono. The MRP is around 14k IIRC.
Old 25th January 2013, 23:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

6K is a good price for a 2nd hand set. As mentioned earlier the MSRP is 19,999 (20K) and it probably sells for less.

It is listed at 16K as per the price at snapdeal.com.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/foca...reID=Focal_Car Audio & Video_product_4;11
Old 26th January 2013, 00:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
6K is a good price for a 2nd hand set. As mentioned earlier the MSRP is 19,999 (20K) and it probably sells for less.

It is listed at 16K as per the price at snapdeal.com.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/foca...reID=Focal_Car Audio & Video_product_4;11
Yeah, I noticed that later. Any clues about the controller though?
Old 26th January 2013, 09:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that later. Any clues about the controller though?
Was going thru the PDF manuals of the 4 Ch and mono amp. Both have controllers included.

Though I don't know what happened to the 2nd controller in my case. Will find out from the dealer early next week. I could use it to control the stereo amp's gain.
Old 26th January 2013, 10:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on new sound, have couple of queries.

Damping: How many sq. ft. was used & was it applied on all 3 layers of each door? If rear speakers are mounted on rear shelf, I guess damping of rear doors wasn't necessary. But, it would anyway help for reduced road noise.

Speakers: How do you find your earlier setup of JBL, Inifinity with Focals? Or is it too early to compare?
Old 26th January 2013, 11:20   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Damping: How many sq. ft. was used & was it applied on all 3 layers of each door? If rear speakers are mounted on rear shelf, I guess damping of rear doors wasn't necessary. But, it would anyway help for reduced road noise.
I didn't get what you meant by 3 layers, but it was applied to the inside of the door where the panel fits. The factory fitted plastic sheet was taken off.
About the quantity - it should be about 7-9 sheets but I could be mistaken.

Along with the front doors and rear shelf, the rear doors (not really required, but I insisted) the insides of the boot lid were also damped. Both are noticeably heavier and that makes a big difference to road noise. And there's the satisfying thump when the doors/lid are closed, very much like a European car. Add to that the massive 12" SW in the boot the car actually feels heavier. I may go in for a 10" SW if it sounds decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Speakers: How do you find your earlier setup of JBL, Inifinity with Focals? Or is it too early to compare?
I don't take too much time to like/dislike the sound. So initial hearings/auditions were more than satisfactory. In fact very good. Clean, warm and distortion free sound. I must say it sounds MUCH better than the previous Infinity reference set up.

The cabling was completely re-done as well; power, audio and earthing.

EDIT: I'll try and upload more pics of the SW and HU later.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th January 2013 at 11:24. Reason: Added EDIT
Old 28th January 2013, 18:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Altis Re-Iced : The "Focal" Point

I went to the dealer today to ask for new FPP amps in lieu of the discontinued "Solid" series. He has agreed (great guy!) to replace them. Of course he will charge me the difference in price. It is a substantial increase over the previous model. The amps will be fitted later this week after they arrive at the dealer. The dealer also offered some 'audio enthusiast/audiofool/audiophile' speakers and components that would total up well into the 5 figure band. But I politely declined adding if I could afford them I wouldn't be driving a Toyota

I do NOT expect the sound to improve at all. This is just the psychological "happy feeling" of getting the latest model.

That said, I can't remember a time when I have enjoyed listening to my car stereo as much as I have since this new system was installed. It sounds good - clean, crisp and punchy no matter what genre of music I throw at it. And Amen to that!

PS - I shall be auditioning the 10" Focal passive SW at the same time. But once you hear a 12" thumping away the 10" may be a let down. Time will tell.

PPS - Pics of the new FPP amps to follow later this week.

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th January 2013 at 18:11.
Old 31st January 2013, 23:02   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The FPP 4100 (4 ch stereo, 1st pic) & FPP 1000 (monaural amp, 2nd pic) were fitted today. Sound does seem slightly warmer. Just love the sound! It's a good upgrade. Worth the money? Probably. A prospective customer also auditioned the set up and was quite impressed.

2 pics attached. The tuning controls are under the magnetically attached flap/cover that has the Focal monogram on it. Classy!

The 10" SW hasn't been delivered yet so still working with the big 12" SW. The smaller SW is expected next week. Few more pics to follow then.
Attached Thumbnails
Altis Re-Iced : The "Focal" Point-new-focal-4-ch.jpg  

Altis Re-Iced : The "Focal" Point-new-focal-mono.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 31st January 2013 at 23:05.
Old 24th February 2013, 21:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Bring this thread to a close (from my side). The Focal 10" sub woofer (the SBP25, with an enclosure) finally arrived and was fitted on Thursday.

http://www.focal.com/en/expert/284-s...055750123.html

I found a very small difference in the low frequency response compared with the 12" but the space saving in the boot was huge. Have to be practical as wifey likes to stock up on our jaunts out of town.

So 10" SBW was finalised. I am a happy camper now..Warm rich punchy sound in my car...at last .

Cheers folks!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 16:54   #13
BHPian

Sir, how much was the price difference betweent the Solid 4 and the FPP 4 channel, asking because i recently got a good price for the Solid 4 at Bafna and went for it, but because the owner is known to me, i always have the option of upgrading.
Old 16th April 2013, 21:15   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Sir, how much was the price difference betweent the Solid 4 and the FPP 4 channel, asking because i recently got a good price for the Solid 4 at Bafna and went for it, but because the owner is known to me, i always have the option of upgrading.
599gto, sorry for not replying for so many days...just saw your post.

The price difference is about 10K over the Solid 4. But the FPP sounds better (warmer) than the Solid 4..to my ears at least. I would definitely recommend it over the older model if you like or prefer that 'warm' sound. The FPP does seem better put together with a magnetic flap that conceals the HP/LP/Crossover/Boost fine tuning controls, instead of a transparent plastic flap that is screwed on with hex keys.

Since you know the owner @ Bafna you may want to test audition the FPP.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 00:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So 10" SBW was finalised. I am a happy camper now..Warm rich punchy sound in my car...at last .

Cheers folks!
Sorry for waking up an old thread. But how is the Focal SB P30 sub in SQ. Does it give that punch you get from Infinity Kappa 120.9W and Rock Fosgate P3 D412 subs ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks