Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2011, 17:17   #856
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Info:

Most TATA outlets have wruth products offered by them. Infact the TATA Service Manual specifies a lot of them including the underbody treatment. Getting this treatment done at TATA centres (for TATA / Fiat cars) is a bit more expensive than getting it done outside but is very convenient, plus since they do it day in and day out for these specific vehicles they do know exactly what needs to be done and how much. Had gone for the Underbody treatment for the Safari 11 years back, but since sound was not the objective of the treatment did not really notice a change or rather make it a point to notice it.

Observation on the thread:

Yes many have spoken about using a Spray inside the door as well, (instead of damping pads) and of doing it in combination with dampening pads, but no case as yet of someone using just the spay and being happy with the result or otherwise. Wish there were some reports / efforts on that as well.

Also wish more people put up snaps of their sound damping work.

Another question have the prices gone up or down since 2007 when the thread started. Seems to be the same range overall, though normally should go down overtime. I guess it is to a large extent just rawmaterial so the price drop as is the norm has not taken place.

Superb thread for info on Sound Damping.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:41   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I have almost finalized on buying the Punto 90HP, during the TD i noticed that the road noise at high speeds was too intrusive and bothering, also the speakers need to be replaced asap.
Good choice of car. The Punto has adequate damping from the factory and I doubt if any additional damping will significantly reduce cabin noise. I think the 'noise' you hear at high speeds is caused more by the design of the door mirrors. I may be wrong though.

I changed the OE speakers on my car to a combination of Hertz and Polk. Got a JBL GT Basspro 12 Linky I did not want a separate amp installation as I need to take the sub out of the boot frequently for long trips.
Old 21st November 2011, 00:46   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Good choice of car. The Punto has adequate damping from the factory and I doubt if any additional damping will significantly reduce cabin noise. I think the 'noise' you hear at high speeds is caused more by the design of the door mirrors. I may be wrong though.

I changed the OE speakers on my car to a combination of Hertz and Polk. Got a JBL GT Basspro 12 Linky I did not want a separate amp installation as I need to take the sub out of the boot frequently for long trips.
@WasavaTyres
I have installed the Rockford fosgate prime components in front and coaxial in the rear doors. Can you tell me how much did u have to pay for the basspro12? I have seen this product online and looks like this is has amp and sub together, how's the performance of this? and how much boot space does this take up? (I own a punto as well)
Old 21st November 2011, 10:20   #859
BHPian

I just installed the amazing DLS Damping mats in my Ritz what a difference it makes. I also did the spare tire well and there is less sound coming in. This weekend will remove the seats, carpets and do the entire floor. Next will be the roof liner, doors, boot & bonnet.
Old 21st November 2011, 11:44   #860
BHPian

hi guys. there are very few pics of the actual damping process being done. i guess the ones i saw was only of bhagwan getting his polo ICEd. it will be of great help if someone can post pics of the process (insatller or DIY) for better understanding and also to check if the installer is doing the job right. also, can someone guide to a gret damping place in mumbai. i want to get best prices (intended to be budget) and products for damping my new (expected skoda rapid) car completely before going in for the ICE setup. thanks.
Old 21st November 2011, 13:05   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally View Post
hi guys. there are very few pics of the actual damping process being done....
1. Installer takes the sheet
2. Installer peels off dampening material from one side
3. Installer sticks the dampening material on the inside/outside of the door.
That's pretty much it.

First you need to decide how extensive you want the dampening to be done. Best way of getting the doors dampened is to stick the sheets both on the inside and outside however if you are on budget, like I was, you may just get it done on the outside and little inside area which is directly behind the mid-bass drivers.

In the pic below you can see the left door where dampening sheet has been used on the whole of outside door area and about 8-9 inch high door-length sheet was used behind the mid-bass driver i.e. on the inside (not visible in the pic though)

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-photo015.jpg

In the 2nd pic below you can see that the dampening sheet was not used on the whole outside area of the right door but only the gaps/holes in the doors were plugged with the sheet. Here again a 8-9 inch high door-length sheet was used behind the mid-bass driver, on the inside.

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-photo016.jpg
Old 21st November 2011, 13:25   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
1. Installer takes the sheet
2. Installer peels off dampening material from one side
3. Installer sticks the dampening material on the inside/outside of the door.
That's pretty much it.

First you need to decide how extensive you want the dampening to be done. Best way of getting the doors dampened is to stick the sheets both on the inside and outside however if you are on budget, like I was, you may just get it done on the outside and little inside area which is directly behind the mid-bass drivers.

In the pic below you can see the left door where dampening sheet has been used on the whole of outside door area and about 8-9 inch high door-length sheet was used behind the mid-bass driver i.e. on the inside (not visible in the pic though)

Attachment 845042

In the 2nd pic below you can see that the dampening sheet was not used on the whole outside area of the right door but only the gaps/holes in the doors were plugged with the sheet. Here again a 8-9 inch high door-length sheet was used behind the mid-bass driver, on the inside.

Attachment 845043
thanks fine69. however i see from the pics that you have pieces of damping material cut out and stuck instead of full sheets to size. was that done due to budget issues? the damping process, if i understand correctly, is to paste full sheets cut to door size.
i am looking at damping the whole car (doors, boot, floor & under hood) for superior SQ. i think if this is done correctly then a basic config ICE set-up will be enough to satiate my audio thirst.
i also read the http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com link and have mailed Don (the researcher) regarding some info on the products and their usability. has anybody used these products? how are they? and are they available in mumbai/india? some info will be really helpful. cheers.
Old 21st November 2011, 13:57   #863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
I just installed the amazing DLS Damping mats in my Ritz what a difference it makes.
@Prithvi, pls share details of where you got this, the cost & where did you get it installed. Any pics will be good too. Thanks !
Old 21st November 2011, 14:19   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally View Post
thanks fine69. however i see from the pics that you have pieces of damping material cut out and stuck instead of full sheets to size. was that done due to budget issues? the damping process, if i understand correctly, is to paste full sheets cut to door size.
Yes I was on budget and wanted no more than 3 sheets to be used so in the RHS door pic you see that the dampening sheet has been used to plug the holes only, unlike the LHS door.

The dampening material that I saw at the ICE shop was not of the size of a car door so a single sheet wasn't going to cover the whole door. Another thing was that there was locks/power window cables and metal parts sticking so even if the sheet was big enough to cover the whole door it would have to be cut out in a couple of places.

I'm not aware of too many dampening materials available but have seen Stinger and Dynamat in action and both did a good job in preventing vibrations from the door. I think there's Dynamat Extreme also and just in case that's not enough, use two sheets of that. As for dampening inside the bonnet, I think Rapid's bonnet is already dampened and also there's very less engine noise (even in diesel) so not sure if one would want to get that dampened too.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:28   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
@WasavaTyres
I have installed the Rockford fosgate prime components in front and coaxial in the rear doors. Can you tell me how much did u have to pay for the basspro12? I have seen this product online and looks like this is has amp and sub together, how's the performance of this? and how much boot space does this take up? (I own a punto as well)

Hi sorry for the delay. Haven't had the time to click pics and post.

1. Prices vary from dealer to dealer as well as the city. Plz check prices in your town The MRP is 16,990 for the product.

2. I'm not a audiophile so do not get into the nuances & details. I wanted good bass, and this product gives me great bass.

3. It does take up almost 3/4th of the boot space, check attached pics.
Attached Thumbnails
The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-jbl-basspro-1.jpg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-jbl-basspro-2.jpg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-jbl-basspro-3.jpg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-jbl-basspro-4.jpg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-jbl-basspro-5.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 18:08   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
From where did you get the dampening done and what was the cost?
Abeer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 12:38   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
From where did you get the dampening done and what was the cost?
I got it done by Driven in East of Kailash. 3 of Stinger sheets were used, 1500 bucks per sheet, total cost 4500.
Old 26th November 2011, 14:20   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Hi sorry for the delay. Haven't had the time to click pics and post.

1. Prices vary from dealer to dealer as well as the city. Plz check prices in your town The MRP is 16,990 for the product.

2. I'm not a audiophile so do not get into the nuances & details. I wanted good bass, and this product gives me great bass.

3. It does take up almost 3/4th of the boot space, check attached pics.
Thank you for the great pics.. that helped a lot! Looks like I will need to sacrifice some serious space. I will need to look out for a smaller sub. I am in look out for good bass. Do not really want great bass!
Old 27th November 2011, 10:22   #869
Senior - BHPian

@WasavaTyres, both the RCA (from HU presumably) and the Hi-level inputs (from HU speaker outputs, I presume) seem to be connected to the BassPro. Any specific reason why? Normally only one input needs to be connected, no?
Old 30th November 2011, 15:39   #870
BHPian

Last year I had my 15 year old Tata Sierra go under the knife for a exterior and interior overhaul. Part of this was replacing the worn out broken carboard door panels with sponge padded aluminium ones. The idea was to make sure that the seepage during the monsoons does not spoil the door panels.

The 15 year old beast obviously makes enough noise when revved. What noise reduction treatment will the experts recommend for me ?

Also should I now replace the metal door panels with cardboard ones and then get the wruth / dynamat treatment done ?

Any other suggestions to cut out the engine noise ?

I am not looking for any improvement in the audio quality. Just a reduction in engine noise

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks