Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2012, 12:48   #916
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

American Damping or American Dynamics? If the latter, you can ask at the accessories shop on Residency Road just after Bangalore Club on the left, before the pedestrian overbridge. I had bought some from him 3-4 years back.
Old 30th January 2012, 17:45   #917
BHPian

Does anyone has used/experienced this product?
RAAMmat BXT II - RAAMaudio Inc.

This one has high rating at
Adding soundproofing to your car to reduce noise

I would like to know a word or two before I purchase it from
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I plan to use these on the floors, roof and the firewall, once the wurth underseal(bitumen based) is done and the damping and deadening sheets I purchased from ebay is delivered and the doors are done for good.

Wurth underseal will be done tomorrow for 2.6k, the korean sheets cost me around 5.5k(~ 17 sq ft - 9.5 of polyether based sound deadening and 7.5 of butyl-aluminum damping) and the above RAAMmat(40 sqfeet) would cost me around 10K including shipping, which sounds like 18K in all, for the whole car.

Does it sound like good idea or am i going over the top?

Last edited by glidealong : 30th January 2012 at 17:48.
Old 30th January 2012, 18:13   #918
Senior - BHPian

Though there is no end to the quest of damping, usually the point of diminishing returns is somewhere in the INR5-10K band. That is, less than 5K doesn't get you enough; and more than 10K does not necessarily get you more and more.

The "INR5-10K" assumes off-the-shelf Dynamat/Dynamat Extreme type of damping sheets pasted in strategic areas, augmented by closed-cell foam / cotton-waste stuffing in some areas.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 18:51   #919
BHPian

How does cotton waste help? Where would it be available ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Though there is no end to the quest of damping, usually the point of diminishing returns is somewhere in the INR5-10K band. That is, less than 5K doesn't get you enough; and more than 10K does not necessarily get you more and more.

The "INR5-10K" assumes off-the-shelf Dynamat/Dynamat Extreme type of damping sheets pasted in strategic areas, augmented by closed-cell foam / cotton-waste stuffing in some areas.

Last edited by adityamunshi : 30th January 2012 at 18:59.
Old 30th January 2012, 19:13   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any information / feedback about damping sheets by American Damping ? I am not able to find any information anywhere on this.

Accessories dealer says that this is available in two types - one that does not need heating (non-adhesive side is metallic color), and the other that needs heating (is black/dark color). Sheets are 1.5mm thick.
Condor Sir - Satya of Evo damped all the doors in my Swift using this brand of damping sheets. I have no idea whether heating is required or not, as i wasnt present when it was done, but they have made quite a difference. No vibration or rattles. Also the outside noise has reduced to quite an extent !
Old 30th January 2012, 22:07   #921
Distinguished - BHPian

Doors & Firewall are the key

Quote:
Though there is no end to the quest of damping, usually the point of diminishing returns is somewhere in the INR5-10K band.
Just coming to the closing stages of my DIY damping experiments. Summary:
1. It will help to damp the doors (has already been told to us by the guru's -Navin / DerAlte) - and firewall.
2. For the firewall, get hold of a good mechanic who can open the dash. Apply the damping sheets as much as possible. Get the thicker sheets like Dynamat.
3. Dont worry about the floors- there is already some damping there, and I dont think it will make more difference than what 1 & 2 will.
4. In case there is some lining on the firewall already - unless it is damping sheets, open this lining, apply damping sheets & re-apply the OE lining.
5. You will also get suggestions to damp the pillars & roof. You can, at least the pillars. But inside of the roof I have not tried & you will need someone well versed in this.
6. If you want to try a little more, then you can work on the rear wheel arches - from inside the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Condor Sir - Satya of Evo damped all the doors in my Swift using this brand of damping sheets.
@Nirmal, Satya had quoted the same brand to me. But I would have thought you would do it yourself ! When I can, it should have been much easier for you.

Last edited by Amartya : 30th January 2012 at 22:47. Reason: Edited based on RP. Thanks :).
Old 30th January 2012, 23:43   #922
BHPian

There was also other work to be done like changing the wiring, changing the comps, moving front comps to rear etc so got the whole thing done by Satya as a project

Also was not sure about where to damp, how to damp, how much to apply etc, so wanted it best left to an expert to handle. Job took a whole day & i just came back & collected the car.

Great job done by Satya, haven't faced any issues till date !

Am thinking of now damping the floor, what do you recommend - Underbody coating by 3M along with damping sheets ?
Old 30th January 2012, 23:49   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

OE Damping of floor

@Nirmal, if you are going to damp the floor, then try 3M / Wuerth under-body - as pointed out in recent posts. I dont think applying sheets inside will help that much. Any way, the manufacturer would have already put in at least some amount of sheet there (from inside).

Here's a pic of the damping by Ford, in the Ikon. Section is the left passenger (rear seat). The sheet is in the lower section of the pic. The black part on the left is a fabric sticker. The middle one-third shows the bare-metal mid-floor ridge, which is not covered.

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-oefloordamping.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2012 at 17:44. Reason: As requested
Old 31st January 2012, 07:59   #924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
How does cotton waste help? Where would it be available ?
@Aditya, check this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post1482003

Cotton waste is available in most auto spares shops / lube oil stores.

Quote:
American Damping or American Dynamics?
American Damping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
We opened up the boot lid's panel and filled up every nook and cranny that we could reach with the cotton waste. 2 hrs and voila we had a boot lid which was heavier and no rattles from the back now.
The darn thingy ate up close to 6 kgs easily
Riju, any problems with rusting here ? The cotton waste would soak water (possible during washing at servicing time). And nooks and crannies always take more time to dry.

Last edited by condor : 31st January 2012 at 08:14.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:55   #925
Senior - BHPian

@condor-bhai, where did you expect the water to enter from? The only suspect side is the door pad side, which doesn't see a pressure wash ever. All the other ingresses have a rubber grommets minimizing water entry. If water does get in, you will start to get that typical 'musty' smell sooner or later. CC foam is a better, if costlier, alternative.
Old 31st January 2012, 17:02   #926
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir-ji, sorry - mixed it up with the bonnet. My bad.
Old 31st January 2012, 21:24   #927
Distinguished - BHPian

Navin @ DerAlte, question reg damping sheets vs Yogamat.

from what I have seen, Damping sheet can be used only on metal, and Yoga mat can be used on both metal & door pads/panels.

What is the difference if we used Yoga mat on metal ? Will it damp as well /comparably as damping sheet on metal ?

Is Yoga mat CC or OC ?
Old 1st February 2012, 10:35   #928
BHPian

hi,

I m from Surat and ask here so many car accessory shop about dumping sheet but can't get any thing.
Finally i get dumping sheet from Rockford which is priced 1000 Rs per 1.5 sq.f. is it priced ok.

i search on net and found this from ebay.

SilverStone 21-Inch x 15-Inch 4mm Thick 2-Piece Sound Dampening Acoustic EP0M S | eBay

is it ok to go with this one.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:55   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvc_4125 View Post
... I m from Surat and ask here so many car accessory shop about dumping sheet but can't get any thing. ...
Dumping sheet you can get from any supermarket (4 rolls per pack)! No, seriously, that foam sheet on eBay is not meant for use in a car - 'yoga mats' will be better since they are higher density. Of course, you will need to stick them with 'rubber solution' (like Fevicol SR) - there is a thread in the DIY section, I think, which has enough info on how to do it.

The Rockford one is more conventional, and price is reasonable.

Check with @vigsom (PM him) - he is in Surat and will be able to guide you in damping your car.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 20:56   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

@DerAlte & Navin, one more question:

I have seen that either:
Damping sheets are stuck on the inner metal sheet of the door (the surface facing the door pad) - OR -
Yoga mat is stuck on the inner-side of the door pad.

Which is the best location for the sheets (both damping sheet & yoga mat).

Why dont installers apply the damping sheets on the inner surface of the outer metal sheet ? (I know it is hard to access). The damping at the factory is done on this section - inner surface of the outer sheet .. so why dont installers follow this ? Is it because of advantages / disadvantages - or the time it takes to apply the sheet in this area ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks