Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2018, 11:44   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
What about tires? they also make a huge difference to NVH of a car. Are you running OEMs? they are typically not the best brands. Softer ones like Michelin XM2 would also help a fair bit.
Yes! Tyres are one aspect, for which I didn't do anything. My car is running on OEM tyres, Apollo Alnac 4Gs 215/60 R16. I was thinking to replace it with some better options but now my car/tyre is more than 9000Km old & will not get proper resale/exchange value. I will go for Micheline after 20,000 km. Thanks for Suggestion.
Old 11th March 2018, 13:15   #1157

Hi All

I came across Dynamat Extreme on Amazon (Dynamat 10435 12' x 36' x 0.067' Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Door Kit https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00020CAUG/..._WZnPAbG9SBP8A). The listing confirms that it contains four 12” x 36” pieces of dynamat. Will it be enough to do damping on my ertiga doors?

Also, kindly confirm if he price is also right or not as it is currently retailing at ₹9970/-.
Old 19th March 2018, 10:43   #1158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiyushD View Post
Hi All

I came across Dynamat Extreme on Amazon (Dynamat 10435 12' x 36' x 0.067' Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Door Kit https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00020CAUG/..._WZnPAbG9SBP8A). The listing confirms that it contains four 12” x 36” pieces of dynamat. Will it be enough to do damping on my ertiga doors?

Also, kindly confirm if he price is also right or not as it is currently retailing at ₹9970/-.
I see 4.75" x 12.00" x 4.00 pcs at Rs. 12,435.00.

12' x 36' is a lot of damping. I assume you mean 12" x 36".
navin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 21:43   #1159

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I see 4.75" x 12.00" x 4.00 pcs at Rs. 12,435.00.

12' x 36' is a lot of damping. I assume you mean 12" x 36".
Thanks for the revert Navin. You are right I meant 12” x 36”. I think they have updated the product page. Anyways, I have postponed the plan owning to Vitamin M crunch.
Old 20th March 2018, 10:30   #1160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiyushD View Post
Thanks for the revert Navin. You are right I meant 12” x 36”. I think they have updated the product page. Anyways, I have postponed the plan owning to Vitamin M crunch.
For the record you will need about 1.5 sq. ft (18" x 12") per door.

Stick to damping that is made with a butyl rubber base. It lasts better especially in the hot/humid climate of India.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 16:16   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
For the record you will need about 1.5 sq. ft (18" x 12") per door.

is that all ? 1.5 sq.ft per door. that seems too small a material to do damping. If it is just to cover the exposes holes, may be.

Today i bought a roll of Tar felt and going to try my best to do this weekend on my 11 year old civic. Let me see how it comes and post some pictures here later.

Swami
Old 25th May 2018, 17:43   #1162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
is that all ? 1.5 sq.ft per door. that seems too small a material to do damping. If it is just to cover the exposes holes, may be.
All that is needed to damp is to prevent the mettle resonating. They do that with patches, rather than covering entire panels.

Soundproofing would be a different matter.

I recall a 3M Carcare demo with stainless-steel plates. We all know that if you hold one in your fingertips and hit it, it will ring like a musical istrument. They then do the same with a plate bearing a small patch of their material, and it just gives a dull thud. As a product demo, I wasn't impressed, thinking, yes, but a lump of cheap plasticine. or similar, would probably have the same effect on the plate; but still, it makes a point about damping in general.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 09:36   #1163
BHPian

@Thad - thanks for the clarity, i probably got confused between damping and soundproofing. So, eventually, i do not know what i did

but, this is what i did.

Bought a 0.5mm self adhesive Tar felt roll from Parrys Corner
1 mtr x 20 mtr roll - Rs. 1000
Since there was too much of material and available only in 20 mtr size, i went for 0.5mm to have multiple layers

Removed the padding
Cleaned the outermost Door metal
Pasted approx 3 layers of material one over the other
Also pasted few strips on the inner metal shell, holes etc.,
Used the company provided damping sheet to cover the large door hole
Pasted back the company provided polythene layer
Completed all four doors
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE - When you knock, it is SOLID

The Car is much silent now and the the speaker is sounding better
No fancy stuff yet - Only front doors have 6.5 coaxials from Polk
Rear - same old OEM stuff
OEM head unit
No amplifier

It sounds much better now. Will slowly improve other areas as required as i just want a descent stuff and not willing to spend too much on this.

For Chennai people - If any one wants to try their hands on their car, pickup some material from me, i have a lot left
swami69 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 11:17   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Removed the padding
Cleaned the outermost Door metal
Pasted approx 3 layers of material one over the other
Also pasted few strips on the inner metal shell, holes etc.,
Used the company provided damping sheet to cover the large door hole
Pasted back the company provided polythene layer
Completed all four doors
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE - When you knock, it is SOLID
Did you click some pics of the installation? It would have made things more clear.
Old 29th May 2018, 14:19   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Did you click some pics of the installation? It would have made things more clear.
Hi Sorry, i took it little easy/lazy and did not click any picture of the same. But, just wanted to say that it is a same sort of door damping which we have seen in many threads, but only the material is slightly different, which is cheaper, lesser thickness. Else, it all looks same, except for Aluminium foil on the top side, here it is black printed plastic sheet.

Coming to the post install..
  • There is absolutely no smell inside the car. But, there may be, if i park it for a longer time in the sun. Need to check
  • The road noise & outside noise has come down substantially, i really mean it
  • The stock Audio sounds better
  • Also achieved another major thing - all those little tinny door rattles are absolutely gone and it feels very different and fresh
Overall it is splendid considering that I spent less than Rs. 1000.

I will use the balance material and do the same for my XUV. Still i will be left with material for another car and someone from Chennai can take it

Swami
Old 10th June 2018, 13:29   #1166
Senior - BHPian

While my Forester sits completely stripped out, awaiting its paint job, I have begun considering the possibility of damping all the doors, the floor and the roof of the car. I am a total noob when it comes to such stuff. It would be helpful if members can point out exactly what material needs to be bought for floor, for roof and for doors and boot, also it would be great if members can give me a rough estimate on what I should be looking to spend, whether I can source items online etc. I know that if I get all this done at the shop where I have the audio installed, I will either end up paying too much or I will end up with inferior products or both in which case I end up paying too much for inferior products. Considering the car is in fully stripped out phase right now, I feel now is the right time to get this done.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 18:48   #1167
Senior - BHPian

So I have done some research of my own. The Forester seems to have a naturally low noise intrusion compared to other cars of this vintage. I would say it even offers good noise insulation compared to a lot of today's cars. Still, I would like to damp the roof and doors.

I have come across 3 different products:

STP Silver getting a pack of 10 sheets of 2mm thickness for about 9k
i-COPPER i-D9 getting a pack of 9 sheets of 2mm thickness for 6k
i-COPPER i-D5 getting a pack of 5 sheets of 7mm thickness for 5.5k

Now the main difference between the STP Silver and i-COPPER i-D9 of comparable 2mm thickness, is that STP uses silver. Has anyone used both and can comment on whether STP silver is worth the premium?

The other difference between the 2mm sheets and the 7mm i-COPPER i-D5 sheets that I could make out is that the i-D5 sheets come with a layer of foam. How important is this layer of foam?

How many sheets does one think I might need to buy of each to cover my roof, doors and dicky door? Which sheets should I use for the doors and which ones for the roof? I am in urgent need of advice from members and experts here as I would like to have this installed immediately while car is being painted before interior trim bits are fitted back on.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 20:28   #1168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Now the main difference between the STP Silver and i-COPPER i-D9 of comparable 2mm thickness, is that STP uses silver.
Not sure what does silver have to do in damping. The Butyl-rubber has the weight to reduce the vibrations of the sheet metal. What would silver do here ?

Regarding how much for the roof: even about 30% of the roof area, but spread across in small pieces should be sufficient.

The foam can help absorb some more sound, but I would not use that inside the roof - it would introduce empty spaces between roof-liner and the roof-metal

Last edited by condor : 14th June 2018 at 20:30.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 22:46   #1169
Distinguished - BHPian

Silver would sound better for audiophile damping

What actual base metal is this stuff made of? Isn't the surface colour just cosmetic/marketing?
Old 15th June 2018, 11:01   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Silver would sound better for audiophile damping

What actual base metal is this stuff made of? Isn't the surface colour just cosmetic/marketing?
Yeah actually the silver part seems to be just branding and market nonsense. Since I went onto the stp company site and found gold and diamond lines as well I guess it is simply aluminium itself.

If anyone has used both products and can comment on whether the stp brand is worth a premium, and whether I should bother buying the foam based sheets as well, that would be very helpful.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks