Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2019, 19:16   #1186
BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
I would prefer Dampmat/Dynamat depending on your budget. I have Dampmat in Innova for last 6 years.

You can try this at any of audio installers in Pune namely Poona motors in Camp, Bhandari Auto on JM road, Bafna cars on Ghole road, Car Cupid on Sus road.
Thanks Sukiwa. I will check at those shops.
Old 13th January 2019, 06:15   #1187
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Pored over this thread over the past few hours. I would be grateful if experts here can clarify my understanding. Please correct me wherever I'm wrong. I'm totally new to this and am exploring how to improve nvh in my car.

Noise/vibration source precedence :
i). Engine and suspension vibrations
ii) Tyre noise from rubber flexing and air escaping grooves
iii). Ambient Air (shouting pedestrians, traffic, wind from the car itself etc) on hitting sheet metal body panels of car.

I've taken the liberty to use a new term to help me understand :
Drum-worthiness (DW) of a metal panel (ability to transmit vibrations coming from the fastened edges to the air/material in contact with majority of it's central area, like a drum does or even air waves hitting inner/outer part of the panel and sound getting transmitted from the other side) can be roughly summarized as , DW ~= (area of panel uninterrupted by structural changes) / (thickness of the metal used to make the panel).

The highest priority should be to dampen components that have highest DW. Will this be the right DW priority for a sedan , inorder to make it more robust againt nvh ? (not specific for better music experience, but overall nvh in general, assume that there is no such thing as ICE in the car)

1. Roof
2. Front door outer panel (side impact beams are not touching outer sheet metal)
3. Rear door outer panel
4. Rear seats' bottom (area above fuel tank)
4. Firewall area and front wheel wells
5. Boot floor (area between Stepney cavity and rear seats) and rear wheel wells
6. Cabin floor (putting this behind 4,5, since this is part of monocoque chassis and has lots of stiffening creases already present. Plus already OE damped to an extent and also having carpets and footmats)
7. Door inner panels.

Best practices to stick damping mats :
A. Be at the centre of panel as much as possible, outer edges should be last priority to cover
B. Better to have 4 pieces stuck touching each other in the center , rather than scatter-sticking the pieces equidistantly over entire panel.
C. Heat gun to be used on metal before sticking the mats.
D. Cleaning the panel with IPA or some other solvent is as important as sticking itself.

Please correct all mistakes, so that it can help me plan my priority of attack with a trickle flow of budget. Not so much focussed on audio experience, interested in general nvh rather.

Last edited by venkyhere : 13th January 2019 at 06:18.
venkyhere is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 21:14   #1188
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello,

I have a fairly different but similar requirement. I would like to sound deaden my top box on the motorcycle.

I carry a bunch of stuff in it, and they regularly jump around in the top box creating a racket. I would also like to protect stuff inside from scratching themselvea against the innards of the box.

Would this kind of damping mat work? I intend to fix velcro patches inside and then velcro mate the mat precisely to the box (no gum etc). I was looking at the dampmat felt series, soft and plush and extremely thin to save space is what i would like on the inside. The mat also has to be very form fitting.

Any thoughts? And where can I get this in Bangalore?

Last edited by Red Liner : 18th January 2019 at 21:15.
Old 18th January 2019, 21:24   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hello,

I was looking at the dampmat felt series, soft and plush and extremely thin to save space is what i would like on the inside. The mat also has to be very form fitting.

This is what I got from Dampmat this morning through the mail

Quote:
Please get in touch with Marketeers at +919886402971. They are the official distributor for your area. Just provide them with our reference and they will help you out.
Tried the number and got no response, so followed up with Dampmat on pricing and got a prompt reply.

Quote:
There are in general 3 different products to sound proof the car.

1. DampMat Exceed - Universal Damping product and can be used in any area of the car. From roof, floor, doors, plasric parts and people even use it in hood even though its not recommended for those areas.

2. DampMat Plus - Foam based damping product for use on plastic parts to reduce resonance, specially if you have good sound setup and your plastic parts rattle resonate. Its also a very good product for floor damping but its on expensive side. You can damp the wheel wells from inside with this if there is no damping from company or you have a car such as Honda / Suzuki which skimp on damping.

3. DampMat Felt - Hard and soft cloth based damping usually seen in European cars such as BMW, Audis, Mercs. It is used to damp floor. Cars like Jeep Compass also have this in their flooring, though its a bit thinner compared to Felt or similar product found on Higher end cars.

Pricing MRP's:

DampMat Exceed Bulk Pack (40 sqft) - Rs. 11990
DampMat Plus (12 sqft) - Rs. 6990
DampMat Felt (21.5 sqft / 2 sqmtr) - Rs. 4500
Hope it helps.
keroo1099 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 21:28   #1190
Distinguished - BHPian

Jesus, the most i will need is a couple of square feet, i dont need an inner lining for the entire bike ��!
Old 19th January 2019, 10:37   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

I have a fairly different but similar requirement. I would like to sound deaden my top box on the motorcycle.

I carry a bunch of stuff in it, and they regularly jump around in the top box creating a racket. I would also like to protect stuff inside from scratching themselvea against the innards of the box.

Would this kind of damping mat work? I intend to fix velcro patches inside and then velcro mate the mat precisely to the box (no gum etc). I was looking at the dampmat felt series, soft and plush and extremely thin to save space is what i would like on the inside. The mat also has to be very form fitting.

Isn't damping sheets a bit extravagant for this purpose? I guess some sort of thin foam material ought to do the job. The kind of soft grey or translucent white Styrofoam that comes wrapped around products sometimes. It is super thin and easy to paste onto any form or surface.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 10:38   #1192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Isn't damping sheets a bit extravagant for this purpose? I guess some sort of thin foam material ought to do the job. The kind of soft grey or translucent white Styrofoam that comes wrapped around products sometimes. It is super thin and easy to paste onto any form or surface.
That thing is horrible man, i prefer something a bit more plush for my helmet
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 13:38   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

Dampening world reduce ringing, but not prevent the noise of hard items banging against the side. Dampening materials have no softness (in my limited knowledge). A soft lining might Indeed be better.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 14:26   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That thing is horrible man, i prefer something a bit more plush for my helmet
You sir are a rare breed might I suggest cutting up a yoga mat in that case?
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 14:30   #1195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You sir are a rare breed might I suggest cutting up a yoga mat in that case?
Have thought about it... But a yoga mat will not fit to form. Too thick. I will need to look up liner materials which are thinner and more flexible to fit to form.
Old 21st January 2019, 17:41   #1196
BHPian

I would like to get some damping done on my Grand i10 to reduce road noise and improve the sound quality a bit which will help make drives more relaxing and comfortable. I am having a Pioneer touch unit with some JBL components. Any recommendations of a place in Gurgaon/Delhi who does it at a not so exorbitant cost? Any price estimate for the same?

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 21st January 2019 at 17:43.
Old 2nd February 2019, 21:01   #1197
BHPian

I am offered damping sheets of Viber brand. The quote for four doors is 6.5k. I did not find any information about this brand. Does anyone knows about this brand? Is the price reasonable ?
Old 27th May 2019, 15:55   #1198
BHPian

guys need info please, I went thru the thread which has tons of info on damping but I am still left me confused.

I am planning for a ICE upgrade for my Maruti Brezza and also want to go for Sound damping

my main question is do I need to go for damping for both inner & outer panel of all the 4 doors ?

and what size sheet would I need for one door damping?, Dampmat offers 16"x36"inch for a sheet, so how sheets would I need to damp all 4 doors ?

Last edited by Kanasu : 27th May 2019 at 16:22.
Old 27th May 2019, 16:21   #1199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
my main question is do I need to go for damping for both inner & outer panel of the door ?

and what size sheet would I need for one door damping ? cause Dampmat offers 16"x36" inch for a sheet, so how sheets many would I need to damp all 4 doors ?
Only the inner wall of the outer (metal) panel needs to be damped. Assume an average of 1 (16" x 36") sheet per door. If you want to be diligent maybe 5 sheets over 4 doors.

Last edited by navin : 27th May 2019 at 16:22.
Old 27th May 2019, 16:29   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Only the inner wall of the outer (metal) panel needs to be damped. Assume an average of 1 (16" x 36") sheet per door. If you want to be diligent maybe 5 sheets over 4 doors.
like shown in these two below photos ? I am little confused when u say "inner wall of the outer (metal) panel"

Kanasu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks