Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2007, 09:33   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
anyways any link of edead.....
Never seen edead but heard it is pretty cheap. i think they have something called V1 or V2 (reminds me of German WWII rockets).

Make sure that anything you get is Butyl based and not a blend and certainly not asphalt. in India's climate Asphalt based products will deteriorate fast.

Butyl rubber is the same compund used for MOST, good, car speaker surrounds.
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:30   #47
BANNED

Can anyone please input the costs of all these VFM Damping products ?

And which are the commonly available Damping brands in India ?
Old 22nd March 2007, 08:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

@mithun, in India you get Dynamat, Dynamat Extreme, Fonomat, WURTH, Pylemat and a few other names I don't remember. These are usually available with most good installers.

Fonomat cost approx. 250/- per sheet. WURTH is a bit lesser. Not much idea about the others.

More than the per-sheet cost, it usually takes about 5K to decently damp a hatchback's front doors, boot and C pillars. Doing the roof will cost a bit more.
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:24   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, upon a chance chat with Anil Padiwal of Hot Tracks from Bangalore (we were chatting in Thailand actually lol), I discovered that he has got a rather large quantity of Acoustic damping called American Acoustics (or something like that) in his warehouse.

I saw the product, later and was impressed by it. It comes in a single one metre roll, is nice and heavy and quite impressive. I do not know the retail price in India, but I was told it should be less than half the price of dynamat.
So you bangalore guys - I think that's pretty much the best vfm damping I've seen in this country.
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:56   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Actually, upon a chance chat with Anil Padiwal ...American Acoustics (or something like that) in his warehouse....but I was told it should be less than half the price of dynamat.....
Geez Sam you get around. How? You are half my audio-age (time spent in audio) and still you know all this! Now I am bugged and impressed.

That stuff is less than 50% of the cost of the regular dynamat and quite good (looks better than regualr dynamat but dynamat extreme is much better). It (AA) looks like it is butyl based or at worst it is a butyl-asphalt composite. Excellent VFM if you can get it. The reason I did not mention it (like I dont mention Sommer, Belden, etc) is that it is not well distributed then i get 100 PMs asking me where to get it and at what price. PMs to which I have no answers.

P.S. I hear Anil is a good bloke. Cut from the same cloth as you and B&T I'm told.

Last edited by navin : 22nd March 2007 at 11:58.
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:24   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a very interesting thread. I have a query which may sound quite ignorant but, i am sure would help a lot of ICE beginners ( like me) to know better. I have off-late noticed the need for good dampners to increase the overall acoustics of your ICE.

It would greatly help, if you audio gurus can list the places ( where the dampening can be done say in priority-wise ( For eg: Rear Speakers, Subwoofers etc along with inputs of effecting methods of doing it) for somebody who is on a piece meal budget ( for e.g 1K or 2K budgets) would of great help.
Old 22nd March 2007, 14:52   #52
Team-BHP Support

Front doors, Trunk, Under carpet, Rear doors, Roof, and A-B-C Pillars in that order
Old 23rd March 2007, 21:57   #53
BHPian

I got the damping of front doors of my santro done for 5K. Damn, why didnt this thread start a bit earlier
Old 23rd March 2007, 22:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Don't fret, Harsh! If you did pucca damping using only damping sheets, it would be quite costly and would come to more or less what you spent (esp. in a Santro). Most damping jobs are a mix of damping sheets supported by waste material and closed-cell foam packed-in tight. That's how the cost gets controlled.
Old 23rd March 2007, 22:54   #55
BHPian

yup it was a layer each of damping material on the inside and outside wall of the door
about 25-30sq.ft i guess
Old 27th March 2007, 20:31   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Geez Sam you get around. How? You are half my audio-age (time spent in audio) and still you know all this! Now I am bugged and impressed.

That stuff is less than 50% of the cost of the regular dynamat and quite good (looks better than regualr dynamat but dynamat extreme is much better). It (AA) looks like it is butyl based or at worst it is a butyl-asphalt composite. .
Bah, you're just pulling my leg now, old man.

Yes, now it's confirmed, Hot Tracks, Bangalore has lots of rolls of American Acoustics damping. Anil Padiwal is very kindly sending me 4X1 metre rolls of the stuff for my verna. I will surely put up pictures and a review.

By the way, guys, since this is a thread on VFM damping, I would tell you that it was an impressive product. I was also told that a large 1 metre roll of this is about Rs. 1300-1400 in retail.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 27th March 2007 at 20:33.
Old 28th March 2007, 02:32   #57
BHPian

Has anyone tried the foam sheets used as insualting material in Air Conditioners? Used it as a lining in the boot of my ol' Matiz and it helped in improving the bass. Thats a real cheap option.
Old 28th March 2007, 09:16   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
...Anil Padiwal is very kindly sending me 4X1 metre rolls of the stuff for my verna....I was also told that a large 1 metre roll of this is about Rs. 1300-1400 in retail.
Hey this is good. For 5K you can get 4 rolls and do front doors and the trunk of most cars. Is there a Mumbai source! I need 12 x 1 meter rolls for a few friends cars.
Old 28th March 2007, 09:17   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Has anyone tried the foam sheets used as insualting material in Air Conditioners? .
wonder if it is waterproof. that is why I say bytul rubber. cars are expoed to rain if the products is not water proof it will deteriorate fast.
Old 28th March 2007, 11:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
wonder if it is waterproof.
Nope. It is open-cell foam. It will retain moisture if it gets wet. Not a very good thing. But this is a good and cheap alternative if used in places that will not get wet at all. Using them in the doors would be pretty dangerous in the long run (rusting issues).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks