Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2006, 11:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84
no it doesn't get hot, its like your using it with normal headphones. As for the battery it wil drain normally. (Maybe a little faster compared to earphones) Its just a simple line out...
Hello kiddo,

Sorry to correct you here, but an iPod battery will last LONGER when using it with a line out, than a headphone. Let me explain why.

Headphones range between 32 to 64 ohms. This is the effective impedance "seen" by the amplifier inside the iPod. Hence the current drains through the headphones, completing the circuit. Thats why, the louder you play it (effectively causing more current to flow through the output stage of the iPod) the shorter the battery life.

When connected to an Auxilliary input, the typical impedance "seen" by the internal amplifier in the iPod is 20,000 ohms. This the amount of current flowing through the output stage is merely a trickle, regardless of volume. In fact you will find the iPod battery behaving almost exactly like you were playing it, WITHOUT headphones.

Cheers
Old 19th May 2006, 12:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

Sam I believe that the hard disk based ipod will last about the same as more current is used spinning the hard disk than driving headphones.

lets consider that most 1.8" hard disks need about 500mA.

Lets consider a headphone that is 95db/1mW/32ohms that means at 4 mW (about 100db) you are using about 100mA at a dangerously loud 100db+.
Using line out you are asking for 2V at 20k which translates to 10mA.

So with headphones at 100db your ipod will last about 20% less than with line out.

I hope I am right. Gurus?
Old 19th May 2006, 12:58   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
So with headphones at 100db your ipod will last about 20% less than with line out.

I hope I am right. Gurus?
I know you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84
As for the battery it wil drain normally. (Maybe a little faster compared to earphones) Its just a simple line out...
I was merely pointing out the fact that suhail quoted the opposite.

Also the effect will be more noticeable in the iPod Nano and the difference will be more than 20%. (No hard disk to spin)
Old 19th May 2006, 13:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Also the effect will be more noticeable in the iPod Nano and the difference will be more than 20%. (No hard disk to spin)
on a Nano you will get 10 times the battery life (10mA vs 100mA).
Old 19th May 2006, 13:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I know you are

I was merely pointing out the fact that suhail quoted the opposite.

thanks for the correction Sam! I was just speculating anyway.

Quote:
kiddo
This brings back memories of 6 years ago, Pony-tailed Sam giving me advice on why you must choose a system depending on your choice in music, listening style etc.,
Me giving him some twisted logic about how the whole family uses the same car so it must play everything well,
Took me 3 music systems and several H.U/speaker combos to realise hw right he was!
(disclaimer: as this was ages ago, most of this is embellished, but the basic plot remains the same)
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rOaD AsSaSin!!
can any one tell??
bought a blaupunkt bahama mp34 for my getz!!
i red on the brochure that it has a auxilary mode so can i connect my ipod nanao to the port wid the usual home use aux wire or i hav to buy any doc or special wire for it??
will normal aux wire harm the HU or the ipod???

Hi rOaD AsSaSin,
How is the blaupunkt bahama mp34 HU? what speakers have you fixed for this HU. please tell me how much you spent for the only the HU and the speakers.
Old 22nd May 2006, 21:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy
Hi rOaD AsSaSin,
How is the blaupunkt bahama mp34 HU? what speakers have you fixed for this HU. please tell me how much you spent for the only the HU and the speakers.
hey brother!!!
as i got the HU installed from the hyundai showroom it cost me 10k + 400 for the front speakerz i got 4" speakers free but the slot given in getz is 6" so i added 400 for blaupunkt IC122 2 way coaxial speakers 105 watts..
the out wid these puny speakers is awsome!!
going to install pioneer 420 watts rear speakers soon...
enJoY!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks