Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2013, 11:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

How to sort music on a USB flash drive?

Hello Members,

My humble car ICE includes a Blaupunkt MP47 with Sony Xplod speakers. I am using a Sandik 4GB USB drive for listening music. It has 5 folders with less than 150 songs in each folder.

The problem is that whatever I do, the way I arrange music on my USB, the player has its own logic while sequencing the songs.

I would like to have it play following MY sequence. How do I go about it, please let me know.

Thanks in anticipation of help!

Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 25th March 2013 at 12:12. Reason: typo
Old 25th March 2013, 13:26   #2
BHPian

re: How to sort music on a USB flash drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello Members,

The problem is that whatever I do, the way I arrange music on my USB, the player has its own logic while sequencing the songs.

I would like to have it play following MY sequence. How do I go about it, please let me know.

Saket
Usually the player sorts the files in the given directory on alphabetic order. So if you want a song to be played in the first, make the file name of the song as 0001-some-song.mp3 and so on. You need to do this with your PC and use your Windows Explorer setting it to sort on the basis 'name'.
Old 25th March 2013, 13:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Usually the player sorts the files in the given directory on alphabetic order. So if you want a song to be played in the first, make the file name of the song as 0001-some-song.mp3 and so on. You need to do this with your PC and use your Windows Explorer setting it to sort on the basis 'name'.
Thanks Prowler for the advice but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be working.

What information I have gathered from the internet is that its the sequence the files physically copied to the drive is what that matters. For example, if song A is copied before song B, irrespective of their names alphabetically or numerically, song A will play first.

I am in the process of copying those 400-500 songs at the moment!

But I would prefer an easy way out for the thing that when I put new songs on the USB, they come up first.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 25th March 2013, 13:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Prowler for the advice but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be working.

What information I have gathered from the internet is that its the sequence the files physically copied to the drive is what that matters. For example, if song A is copied before song B, irrespective of their names alphabetically or numerically, song A will play first.

I am in the process of copying those 400-500 songs at the moment!

But I would prefer an easy way out for the thing that when I put new songs on the USB, they come up first.

Thanks,
Saket
Ok. So it sorts on the basis of time stamp.
But copying hundreds of files would be tedious.

You can use something like this from Windows Command Prompt to modify the time stamp:

Quote:
copy /b some-song.mp3 +,,
I agree this is equally tedious - but you can make changes to the order any time later. This command is roughly equivalent to the UNIX touch command.

Last edited by Prowler : 25th March 2013 at 14:02. Reason: Added more information
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 14:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You can use something like this from Windows Command Prompt to modify the time stamp:

I agree this is equally tedious - but you can make changes to the order any time later.
Hey Prowler,

That looks useful...can you please elaborate on that command line.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 25th March 2013, 14:11   #6
BHPian

Re: How to sort/ sequence music on USB?

Quote:
Hey Prowler,

That looks useful...can you please elaborate on that command line.

Thanks,
Saket
What it does is it just modifies the time stamp with the current time. Copy command is used with the switch set to binary (the slash b) mode and the 2 comma represent that the files are in the current directory. Navigate to the drive in the command prompt and issue the command.
In a Linux/Mac this can be automated using the touch command and a file list containing all the files edited with the order you want it to play and a simple Perl Script.

Sorry Saket - if I have made the whole process more complicated than it already is.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 14:26   #7
BANNED

Re: How to sort music on a USB flash drive?

Quote:
Hello Members,

My humble car ICE includes a Blaupunkt MP47 with Sony Xplod speakers. I am using a Sandik 4GB USB drive for listening music. It has 5 folders with less than 150 songs in each folder.

Saket
Use software Mp3tag and here you can tag your music based on artist/ Genre etc, then the Ice should sort if it has options to sort based by artist, Genre etc.
Old 25th March 2013, 14:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry Saket - if I have made the whole process more complicated than it already is.
I think you have done just that but will be really helpful if that works.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
Use software Mp3tag and here you can tag your music based on artist/ Genre etc, then the Ice should sort if it has options to sort based by artist, Genre etc.
No sorting options AFAIK in Blaupunkt MP47. I am stuck with either a 'Mix' option which is like shuffle or the way it plays automatically. But thanks for exploring the option.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 10:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a software (suggested my a member on another forum): Drivesoft.

Believe it can sort the files physically...yet to check that.

Saket
Old 26th March 2013, 16:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Even I have a Pioneer HU which acts exactly the same way when songs played from USB or MMC card, and I am afraid this changing of timestamp in cmd promt does not work, as there are two timestamps that we are dealing with realistically. Set the windows view to Details and when you right click on the columns header, you can see the following two columns.

1. Date Modified
2. Date Created

In most cases we will only have the 1st column checked, and may not have noticed the 2nd column at all.

For example, I bought my Laptop in 2009 end and have so far downloaded songs and also copied from my external drive which I had previously.
Logically, all the files that I have has to have date modified greater than 2009 right?
But that is not the case. I have songs with Date modified in 2006.

When we copy a song or any file for that matter, only the Date created attribute is updated and the Date Modified is left untouched. And editing the field in command prompt in our computer would not help as, every time the file is copied to a new location, the Date created attribute is updated in the location where it is copied.

And all these players that play directly from USB drive or MMC card consider ascending order of the Date Created attribute alone.
If we can find a way to alter the Date Created attribute, directly in the USB or MMC card, then we would have a solution to the problem.

But again, in most cases the song that we are adding to the USB newly would be the latest downloaded song, which we would want to play first. But going by the above theory, the latest file will have the last place in ascending order and will be played last.

So the following are the steps I do to set the order.
1. Sort the files in the USB folder in ascending order of Date Created.
2. Select all & move files to hard disk. The step 1 ensures all files are moved in existing order of Date Created.
3. Copy the new files one by one in the order that I want them to be played.
4. Then again move all the files from Hadrd disk back to the USB folder.

Though this process is tedious, it is not too difficult, since we are only going to copy a few new songs everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
Some HUs have the option to choose songs based on the MP3 tags, but again this would not let us to decide a particular playing order as we do in a playlist.

Quote:
Got a software (suggested my a member on another forum): Drivesoft.

Believe it can sort the files physically...yet to check that.

Saket
It would be helpful if you could elaborate on this software or provide any links. I did not find a related link if I search google. Thanks.
Old 26th March 2013, 16:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Swami,

Below are the 2 sources from which I downloaded the s/w I was talking about. I am yet to try it, but surely you can give it a try too. If it works, then it will end all our worries!

http://www.pendriveapps.com/drivesor...-newest-files/

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...riveSort.shtml

Regards,
Saket
Old 26th March 2013, 17:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Swami,

Below are the 2 sources from which I downloaded the s/w I was talking about. I am yet to try it, but surely you can give it a try too. If it works, then it will end all our worries!

http://www.pendriveapps.com/drivesor...-newest-files/

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...riveSort.shtml

Regards,
Saket
Thanks Saket. It is DriveSort. I think you had mentioned it as DriveSoft in the previous post. Thats why I couldn't find in google.

Last edited by swami.n : 26th March 2013 at 17:16.
Old 26th March 2013, 17:08   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
Thanks Saket. It is DriveSort. I think you had mentioned it as DriveSoft in the previous post. Thats why I couldn't find in google.
Oh boy...& I was wondering why I am not getting the search results! I realized that only after your post!

Just in case you try it before the lazy writer of this post, please let us know if it works.

Saket
Old 26th March 2013, 17:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Oh boy...& I was wondering why I am not getting the search results! I realized that only after your post!

Just in case you try it before the lazy writer of this post, please let us know if it works.

Saket
Saket, I haven't yet downloaded and used it. But on looking into the details of the software, I again feel it is not going to help solve our problem.

The following is the description given in the link.
Quote:
DriveSort description
Sort an entire drive or a selected subfolder, either by size (to find the largest files) or by date.

Have you always wanted to find out which files are taking up the most space on your hard disk? Or what files have been created by a recently installed application?

DriveSort lets you do just that - sort an entire drive or a selected subfolder, either by size (to find the largest files) or by date. (to find the newest files).
As per the description, all it allows is to sort, and sorting only is to view it in a particular order in our Windows. It is only going to improve our view and not do anythng on the Creation Date. The HU is again going to read in the same order that I have mentioned in my above post.

Last edited by swami.n : 26th March 2013 at 17:22.
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 17:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
Saket, I haven't yet downloaded and used it. But on looking into the details of the software, I again feel it is not going to help solve our problem.

The following is the description given in the link.

As per the description, all it allows is to sort, and sorting only is to view it in a particular order in our Windows. It is only going to improve our view and not do anythng on the Creation Date. The HU is again going to read in the same order that I have mentioned in my above post.
Same thoughts went through my mind...but decided to give it a try as why would anyone build (& others download) a SW to sort files when windows can do it easily!

Or may be I am acting too smart!

Last edited by saket77 : 26th March 2013 at 17:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks