Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 16:05   #1876
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Guys when you order from Ali Express is it reliable ? How much time does it take generally and does one have to pay a duty ?
Old 27th November 2017, 16:45   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
researching a Front Dashcam with a rear parking assist camera.

It mounts on the Rear View Mirror and has a touch screen.
.......I think it has a battery and not a capacitor, and the battery will die in a coupe of years. That is my only issue with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Two thoughts...

1. Rear-view mirror is too important for safe driving. Would not want it obscured by other display....
Quote:
Guys when you order from Ali Express is it reliable ? How much time does it take generally and does one have to pay a duty ?
You would loose the anti-glare function of the OEM supplied rear view mirror if you mounted such a mirror-cam over the Rear View Mirror.

This would not be good in the interest of safety/glare from the vehicle headlights behind your car.

I ordered DDPai Mini 2 from AliExpress and got it in 12 days. There is no customs duty for items below Rs 5K.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 20:46   #1878
BHPian

I need a reasonably priced dash cam for checking on people touching and scratching my car while it is parked.

Please suggest a solution.I want a view from all sides of the car while it is parked.
Old 27th November 2017, 21:17   #1879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
....DDPai Mini 2 from AliExpress and got it in 12 days. There is no customs duty for items below Rs 5K.
My Viofo is already 15 days and counting. Hope it reaches me this week, I ordered after the 11.11 rush, so probably mine is delayed on that reason !
Old 27th November 2017, 22:49   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
I have never bought on Ali Express. Is there a duty involved in buying from Ali-Express when shipped to India ?
And are there any discounts going on Ali Express ?

Styler
It is a hit or miss. Most people never get charged any duty. Try to keep the packages small.

Discounts, you will need to check on AliExpress directly. It keeps changing.

Like most other online purchases, make sure that you check the seller rating, number of orders fulfilled etc.
Old 28th November 2017, 07:04   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I ordered DDPai Mini 2 from AliExpress and got it in 12 days. There is no customs duty for items below Rs 5K.
I saw a preview on the mobile and the video quality is just average. Unable to tell the reg numbers from the video even during day time. It is set at 1440p with the latest firmware. How is yours ?
Old 28th November 2017, 08:34   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
My Viofo is already 15 days and counting. Hope it reaches me this week, I ordered after the 11.11 rush, so probably mine is delayed on that reason !
Me too ordered the Yi dashcam during the 11.11 sale on Ali Express. Till couple of days back there was no status update on the delivery. Wrote to Yi store, had a chat with AliExpress and then there was an update that the item has moved out of the host country. Its now a wait n watch mode.

Meanwhile I have been exploring ordering a suitable MicroSd card for the dashcam. Confused between 32 and 64Gb. I had zeroed in on SanDisk brand but some bad reviews on You tube forced me to rethink. What MircoSd cards are dashcam owners buying?
Old 28th November 2017, 09:37   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
It's really a hit and miss with aliexpress shipping time. The best shipping time I've got was 10 days and the worst was more than 2 months. And most of the time, the bottleneck is with Indian customs.

Regarding customs duty, if the seller has mentioned the correct product and value we'll mostly end up paying duty. I had to pay a duty of 450/- for a cheap 2000 Rs dashcam since the seller mentioned it as camera and value as 40$. Never had to pay duty in any other instance as sellers usually mention the item as "Gift" and values ~5 USD
Old 28th November 2017, 09:42   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Few are lucky and few are not. Select the appropriate seller/listing/shipping method. I have always used Singapore Post or AliExpress Shipping.

Out of 8 orders made during 11.11, for one got appropriate tracking information on their site and in my email once it reached India.

For the rest the tracking has stopped either at transit or departed origin country. Surprisingly in spite of the above tracking info, one package reached home yesterday and hence it is clear to wait and watch and track when the shipping date nears.
Old 28th November 2017, 11:22   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
.....item has moved out of the host country. Its now a wait n watch mode.....What MircoSd cards are dashcam owners buying?
Same here, no update from 22nd November. I have been using SanDisk for over 10 years, have 12 SD Cards and 6 Micro SD (all of them Class-10), so far none of them have failed me. I can vouch for it because I did more than 140 paid commercial works using them, which were critical data as I had no back up person with me for half of those works. Many friends vouch for Lexar, but I think all of them are good. Its more like Nikon or Canon or Sony type of decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
....most of the time, the bottleneck is with Indian customs....
I think it should be corrected as "all the time" I am assuming my Viofo is in Chennai right from 22nd November.
My screenshot below:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-aex.png
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 13:57   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I saw a preview on the mobile and the video quality is just average. Unable to tell the reg numbers from the video even during day time. It is set at 1440p with the latest firmware. How is yours ?
The video quality is on par as per the resolution.
There is a plastic film on the lens when shipped, I'm sure you would have removed it, just mentioning it as a check.

At 1440p, the recording duration is only 5.5 hours on 64 GB card, so I've set the resolution to 1080p and I get about 13 hours of recording. I find the video quality good at 1080p, same like the video in the online reviews.
Old 28th November 2017, 19:42   #1887
Senior - BHPian

I ordered my viofo on 11.11 and it's at customs as per the update from 21 November.
Keeping my fingers crossed that it will reach this week with no excess payment.
Old 29th November 2017, 07:11   #1888
BHPian

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Checked Mini 0805 and I guess it pretty serves my purpose.

Only thing that there is one Adashine Mini 0805 listed on amazon costing some 18K while there are several Mini 0805 by different manufacture which cost hardly 4-5K.

Which one is original? How do I make sure I am buying right one? Surely don't want to spend 18K.

There have been a lot of users of this mini0805. If you scroll back a few pages you would get the link.

The below link should give you some vital insights.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3950268

By the way I have not heard of Adashine mini. But beware there are too many mini(s) out there.

Have you looked at Viofo or ddpai?
I have placed an order for JunsunS30 during the 11.11 sale and am waiting for it to arrive.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 29th November 2017 at 07:22.
Old 30th November 2017, 12:50   #1889
BHPian

VIOFO A119 v2 is available on Aliexpress for $107.54 USD with a $12 USD Discount which brings the total to Rs. 6403.86/- cheapest anywhere online, from the official store & with GPS & CPL Filter, but no hard wiring kit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...999.261.Kp2MGS

Ordered one hope to source the hard wiring kit locally.

Last edited by dreamz_mak : 30th November 2017 at 12:51.
Old 30th November 2017, 13:25   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz_mak View Post
VIOFO A119 v2 is available on Aliexpress for $107.54 USD with a $12 USD Discount which brings the total to Rs. 6403.86/- cheapest anywhere online, from the official store & with GPS & CPL Filter, but no hard wiring kit....
Love to disagree here on the 'cheapest' part. Alibaba always show lower prices than Aliexpress specially Viofo sold by the same seller on both portals. I found the entire package costing under $90 last month, even now its listed under $80 without the CPL. I wanted to order from them, but could not find a feedback by anyone here or in the friends' circle. But I am sure being one of the leading online stores globally, they must be really good if not better than Ali.

Most Viewed