Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2017, 18:38   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

My car DVR charger seems to stop working every few months. I have been through two chargers and for no apparent reason, it stops charging the camera. The camera charges through the USB port on the entertainment unit, but I do not want to render that port useless.

My setup for the charger is an additional charging point, which is installed just next to the fuse box. The charger lights up through an indicator, but doesn't charge the camera. I checked the fuse and the fuse in the charger unit seems fine as well. Why is this happening? Please help..
Old 29th December 2017, 18:52   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Any pointers in using a SJ4000 as a dash cam? What are its disadvantages compared to a dedicated dash cam?
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 19:54   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
What are its disadvantages compared to a dedicated dash cam?
I am pretty sure that it will not be as discreet as some of the actual dash cams. There are chances of it trying to get stolen because of the looks. Also, the accessories list doesn't include a long usb cable to power it from the lighter port. But it comes with an inbuilt battery.

Last edited by Turbopetrol : 29th December 2017 at 20:01.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:43   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Just received this Xiaomi Mijia MI dashboard camera.
I am unable to correctly install this camera in my car. I connected the camera to my phone via WiFi, installed the MI Dash Cam app, connected the camera with this app. The camera shoots and the video can be seen on my phone. However neither I can save the video and nor the camera's display shows the video. And yes, when the camera is connected to the phone and the video is being shot, I can see a big ! mark on the camera screen and something written in Chinese below it.
Old 1st January 2018, 14:04   #1970
Senior - BHPian

So what is the longivity if these Chinese dash cams. Any one here used these for more than 2 or 3 years without trouble?
Old 1st January 2018, 14:06   #1971
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So what is the longivity if these Chinese dash cams. Any one here used these for more than 2 or 3 years without trouble?
I have been using the Viofo A118 from 1.5years, at least two hours a day. It has been running fine, except that the clock somehow shifts by two hours once a while.
Old 1st January 2018, 15:17   #1972
BHPian

Quote:
Any pointers in using a SJ4000 as a dash cam? What are its disadvantages compared to a dedicated dash cam?
Using SJ4000 Wifi for close to a month now. To answer your question

1. No GPS information
2. No Speed information
3. You need to make some extra effort to make it discreet. I have wrapped it in a Mata ki Chunri
4. Motion Detection should be set to OFF else it stops recording every now and then.
5. Supports only certain types of SD cards.
6. Additional investment on SD card and USB Cable. I have used these two Link1 and Link2.

My raison d etre for a dashcam is to be safe in case of accidents like the Bhpians in these threads Link3 and Link4 .

If you looking only at the safety factor in incidents/accidents SJ4000 Wifi does a fair job
DejavuTrip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:11   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
I am unable to correctly install this camera in my car. I connected the camera to my phone via WiFi, installed the MI Dash Cam app, connected the camera with this app. The camera shoots and the video can be seen on my phone. However neither I can save the video and nor the camera's display shows the video. And yes, when the camera is connected to the phone and the video is being shot, I can see a big ! mark on the camera screen and something written in Chinese below it.
Buddy, You need to use MIHome App from either playstore or itunes.

Have been using the same comfortably on both android phone and iphone.

Let us know if you face any challenges.

And mind that you need to add the dashcam manually to the app. It helps.

Edit : On another note, was very comfortable with Android app, since I can easily identify the location of my downloaded files. Am not able to locate the same in iphone. Any help will be great here.

Edit 2: Mi Dash Cam app is a test app. Recommend not to use it.

Ciao

Last edited by lambuhere1 : 2nd January 2018 at 10:13.
lambuhere1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 18:32   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Buddy, You need to use MIHome App from either playstore or itunes.

Edit 2: Mi Dash Cam app is a test app. Recommend not to use it.

Ciao
Removed the Mi Dash Cam app and installed the MI Home app in my phone.

My phone is an Android, a Panasonic P-66 handset. I am unable to open the MI Home app in my phone. The phone hangs and just a black screen is visible.

Should I change the phone? Apart from this P-66, I have a Red-mi Note 4 for this task. And, if I get a new motherboard, I can have a Samsung Tab 2 P-3100 tablet. Do you recommend changing the phone? I am a little too excited too install the camera
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:53   #1975
BHPian

Has anyone succeeded in recovering old video files from SD card of dash cam?
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:41   #1976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Has anyone succeeded in recovering old video files from SD card of dash cam?
Going by the way the dashcam functions by overwriting old files with new ones as they age, I dont think its possible to recover the old files, if the memory card is full and the old files are being deleted by the dashcam. This recovery is only possible if you have accidentally deleted the file and after that you havent used the dashcam for its full recording capacity.

In other memory cards, if a file is deleted, only the index is removed and the physical memory location might still contain the data. Hence, these kind of situations will provide an option of recovery.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:54   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from this P-66, I have a Red-mi Note 4 for this task.
It works perfectly well on my MI3.

Try out on Redmi Note. It should work. You may have to register at mi site to enter into the app to add the dashcam.

Check it out. On another note, not worth the effort to change phone for dashcam. Anytime you can remove the microsd and read it out anywhere.
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:21   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Going by the way the dashcam functions by overwriting old files with new ones as they age, I dont think its possible to recover the old files, if the memory card is full and the old files are being deleted by the dashcam. This recovery is only possible if you have accidentally deleted the file and after that you havent used the dashcam for its full recording capacity.

In other memory cards, if a file is deleted, only the index is removed and the physical memory location might still contain the data. Hence, these kind of situations will provide an option of recovery.

That is sad to know. I knew my 16gigs memory card could hold about 7hrs video approximately but the excitement overtook knowledge in my recent trip and I totally forgot to backup. Phew!!! Had excellent videos of overtaking, bad drivers and great day/night scenery. 😪
Old 4th January 2018, 08:14   #1979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejavuTrip View Post
Using SJ4000 Wifi for close to a month now. To answer your question

1. No GPS information
2. No Speed information
3. You need to make some extra effort to make it discreet. I have wrapped it in a Mata ki Chunri
4. Motion Detection should be set to OFF else it stops recording every now and then.
5. Supports only certain types of SD cards.
6. Additional investment on SD card and USB Cable. I have used these two Link1 and Link2.

If you looking only at the safety factor in incidents/accidents SJ4000 Wifi does a fair job
Finally bit the bullet and got myself the SJ4000 Wifi. Tried it out yesterday during my drive to / from the office.
In addition to what DejavuTrip mentioned:-

The picture quality is quite good & is a cheaper version of the Go Pro and has multiple uses, including underwater usage. The camera comes with a waterproof cover and a host of accessories. In my opinion a good VFM.

I also used a 32 GB Micro SD card, and with the loop recording on, the camera records video in multiple files (size depends on the time set - 3, 5 or 10 min per video). Once the memory is full, the camera automatically overwrites the oldest file.

More on this in a bit

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th January 2018 at 10:51. Reason: Typo edited
Old 4th January 2018, 08:58   #1980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Why is this happening? Please help..
I had faced a similar issue with my Transcend DrivePro 220. While using the supplied power connector, it would record for a few minutes, then keep on switching on and off. I thought that camera has konked off. Then I contacted the service center where I was told it'll take a month for me to get the unit back as it had to be sent back. Then I checked internet and updated the firmware. But that also didn't help. Then I changed the wire. Now I use a micro USB cable with a separate USB port and it's been working like that since last 2 years. I had to install a separate 12V port just for this purpose.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks