Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2018, 15:41   #2056
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Oh! pardon me, I thought one can read the license plate in a 480p video. In that case I am in need of a dash cam that can efficiently record 780p video, with longer loop times and overall recordings of about 24 hours, preferably in 32gb memory.
Depends on the distance and speed of vehicles. If you are in normal speed, good lighting, 480p should do. Though faster moving vehicles and bad lighting will hamper finer details. With the HSRP fontsize being standardized all across, there is no need to go for higher resolution.

I chose 480p for normal cycle of card. It helps me transfer files to safe store and computer much faster (due to small size) when compared to 780p or 1080p
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 18:59   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Assuming 480p is the best compromise between file size and clarity, which camera has the longest loop recording time for 480p video on a 32gb/64gb SD card?
As far as I know, 480p is 640x480 everywhere. It needs 640*480*24 bits colour depth / 8 bits per byte = 900 kB per frame.

Now comes the camera spec. If it is of 24 fps then you need 900*24 = 21 Mb/second of video. A 32 GB card will then be able to store about 26 minutes of video.

The next variable is the codec in use, which is another thing that depends on the camera. H.264 gives about 1:40-50 compression, so your 26 minutes goes up to 22 hours.

Using numbers from my Transcend DP220 spec sheet: at 1080p, 30 fps it will take up:

1920*1080*3*30/(1024*1024)/50 = 3.5 MB/s or 12.5 GB/hour. My 64 GB card, which is the largest size supported by the camera, will then be able to store about 5.2 hours of video. And that is what I get too (about 6 hours, which probably means I get a lot more than 1:50 compression).
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 01:44   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Just received SJcam from Aliexpress. Total cost was Rs4.7K for camera plus Rs744 taken by postman.
Was the 744 taken as excise duty? I'm planning to order the Yi dashcam which is around 3.6k on Aliexpress, and wanted to know if there's any customs duty that gets charged.
Old 25th March 2018, 06:12   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Was the 744 taken as excise duty? I'm planning to order the Yi dashcam which is around 3.6k on Aliexpress, and wanted to know if there's any customs duty that gets charged.
The postman said they are VP charges. I am frankly not sure what that is, I was not at home to take the delivery of the parcel. It took exactly 1 month to reach me. Overall the recording quality is really good for the price. I have used 64GB card in it.
Brigadier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 08:05   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Duty or no duty depends on what's mentioned on the packaging. My Rs. 2000 cheap dashcam from aliexpress was charged 650 Rs duty as it was mentioned as "digital camera" on the package, while a colleague who ordered Rs. 7000 smartwatch wasn't charged anything as duty since it was mentioned as a "gift" on the package. May be you can confirm with your seller how he'll mention it on the package
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 22:13   #2061
BHPian

Hi Guys

I bought this Rear View Mirror Dash Cam with Rear Cam and installed it in my Grand Vitara. It runs the Android 5 and has the Google play store, and I could install Youtube. It already had Sygic for Navigation and Google Maps. It has Wifi, a 4G Sim slot and becomes a Hotspot.

PHISUNG E06 4G Car Dvr 7.84 Inch Touch Adas Remote Monitor Rear View Mirror With Dvr And Camera Android Dual Lens 1080P Wifi Dash CamRom 16GB.

I think it has a whole host of features for it's cost of around $129 at Aliexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Phis...812030569.html

It is expensive on Amazon India.
https://www.amazon.in/PHISUNG-E06-Re...sh+cam+android

The front dashcamera is 1080P and decent quality. Although it is adjustable I could not get it to align totally to the Cente when the rear view mirror is adjusted at the normal angle to have a proper view of the rear window from the Driver's seat.

It has a Car Assist App for Android and IOS which can download 10 sec video clips over internet when you are not close to the car. It also gives you the GPS tracks of the Car and gets notifications when the Car is started.

On the whole there are a whole host of features including the following :
1. Dashcam
2. Rear Camera, with Auto reverse Camera display on Reversing.
3. Android 5 OS with Google Play Store.
4. Bluethooth for Calling.
5. 4G LTE Sim slot for Data and it becomes a Hotspot.
6. Nice touch screen with Navigation.
7. Complete ADAS system, although I am not a fan of this in India.
8. FM Transmitter to send audio to your Car Stereo.

I have just mainly bought it for the DashCam, with simultaneous Front and Rear Recording and reverse camera monitor.

One Problem I have noticed is that after installing this the FM Radio on the Car Stereo has some disturbance. I removed the GPS Cable connector and the Rear Camera Cable connector but the disturbance is still there.
Any ideas on what could be causing it and what would be the solution to fix it ?

Also It has 4G LTE Bands FDD,2100(B1)/1800(B3). What Service Provider Sim will be compatible with LTE Band 3 (1800) in india ? Airtel or Jio ?

Feel free to contact me if you want any details.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 25th March 2018 at 22:42.
Styler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 06:41   #2062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi Guys

I bought this Rear View Mirror Dash Cam with Rear Cam and installed it in my Grand Vitara. It runs the Android 5 and has the Google play store, and I could install Youtube. It already had Sygic for Navigation and Google Maps. It has Wifi, a 4G Sim slot and becomes a Hotspot.

PHISUNG E06 4G Car Dvr 7.84 Inch Touch Adas Remote Monitor Rear View Mirror With Dvr And Camera Android Dual Lens 1080P Wifi Dash CamRom 16GB.

One Problem I have noticed is that after installing this the FM Radio on the Car Stereo has some disturbance. I removed the GPS Cable connector and the Rear Camera Cable connector but the disturbance is still there.
Any ideas on what could be causing it and what would be the solution to fix it ?

Styler
Looks like an all in one rear view mirror. I had always wondered why there wasn't a product like this. It looks like I didn't search well enough.

Since you say there is an FM transmitter, it may well be the cause for the disturbance.
Old 26th March 2018, 08:24   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
1. Dashcam
2. Rear Camera, with Auto reverse Camera display on Reversing.
3. Android 5 OS with Google Play Store.
4. Bluethooth for Calling.
5. 4G LTE Sim slot for Data and it becomes a Hotspot.
6. Nice touch screen with Navigation.
7. Complete ADAS system, although I am not a fan of this in India.
8. FM Transmitter to send audio to your Car Stereo.
Thanks for this Styler.

Saw the sales video and it gets me thinking, should this not be a designed as a driver assist device (HUD) fit enough to be placed on dashboard rather than rear view. E.g. Garmin HUD.

Lot of its features are just what drivers yearn for and it has all the right things.

If I were to get this, I will fix right above the speedo console behind my steering wheel to keep my eyes up front. Awesome features though.
Old 26th March 2018, 09:31   #2064
BHPian

Quote:

Okay found the cause of the problem of Disturbance in the FM Radio. I had bought a hard wire kit to power it. The installer had routed the power cables of this along with the Antenna cable in the left side A Pillar. He even taped these together. Re-routing the power cable to the other side away from the Antenna Cable fixed this issue.

Last edited by Styler : 26th March 2018 at 09:32.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 09:42   #2065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Thanks for this Styler.

Saw the sales video and it gets me thinking, should this not be a designed as a driver assist device (HUD) fit enough to be placed on dashboard rather than rear view. E.g. Garmin HUD.

Lot of its features are just what drivers yearn for and it has all the right things.

If I were to get this, I will fix right above the speedo console behind my steering wheel to keep my eyes up front. Awesome features though.

This is exactly what you are looking for :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Phis...f708a285&tpp=1

Both have exactly the same features.

Actually the E06 Rear View Mirror mounted is good if somebody wants a Dashcam which is totally stealth, not even noticeable. My wife didnt even notice it installed till I told her about it.

On the other hand the E02 Dashboard Mounted is better for somebody who will use Navigation a lot.

I bought the E06 at Amazon USA and got it from US, and it costed me around $150. The E02 wasn't listed at Amazon US. Now that you have given me the idea I might just sell this one and get that one. Cabling is already done I will just need to replace the Main unit.

It is hard to be satisfied

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 26th March 2018 at 10:00.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 12:07   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
It is hard to be satisfied

Styler
How is the picture quality? I was going through some of the reviews on Amazon USA and they talk about picture quality being not upto the mark.
Old 26th March 2018, 12:19   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Styler
I have similar issues with my DashCam. Mainly reduced range, FM is clear within city limits. Tried couple of solutions like fiddling with the FM antenna cable and the likes. It didn't work though.
Old 26th March 2018, 12:26   #2068
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the E02 the best possible bet of a Dashcam from Ali at the moment? I don't have one, have never had one. Contemplating one for myself considering we do drive a lot.
Old 26th March 2018, 12:31   #2069
BHPian

I am planning on purchasing the Viofo A 119S Dashcam from Aliexpress. After reading the last few posts, I wonder if the already existing reverse cam on my cars( City & Jazz), could be integrated with the new install of Viofo to get both front and rear recordings.
Logic says no, but technology is meant to surprise us.
Old 26th March 2018, 14:30   #2070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
How is the picture quality? I was going through some of the reviews on Amazon USA and they talk about picture quality being not upto the mark.
I find the picture quality of the front dashcam decent enough in 1080P resolution. The rear camera is good in the day, slightly noisy in the dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I have similar issues with my DashCam. Mainly reduced range, FM is clear within city limits. Tried couple of solutions like fiddling with the FM antenna cable and the likes. It didn't work though.
Did you use a hardware kit and not the original Cigarette Lighter Power Cable ? If that is what you did, for testing purpose, power it through the Original Cigarette Lighter Power Cable that came with the unit. In my case it was a Power issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is the E02 the best possible bet of a Dashcam from Ali at the moment? I don't have one, have never had one. Contemplating one for myself considering we do drive a lot.
E02 and E06 are not the normal recommended DashCams. These are chinese multiple function devices. Although they are loaded with features we don't know how reliable they will be. Kindly go through the other dashcams listed in this thread.

Styler
Styler is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed