Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2018, 07:45   #2311
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Thanks. This gets me thinking about adding a rear dash cam.

A quick web search shows that in order to be able to use such videos in courts, the video will first need to submitted to the traffic police, who will then use a forensic expert to check for tampering and thereafter issue a report/certificate.
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:03   #2312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Basis dashcam video, has anyone here managed to prove their innocence in a road incident ?
Me. Didn't go to court; got resolved at the local police level itself.

The bus driver argued I tried to overtake him while he was doing the turn. The cops were initially inclined to believe him, but then I showed them this video (explained to them in my broken Tamil what a Dashcam is, inserted the card in my phone and then played the video to the inspector).

Net result was that the bus staff had to pay me compensation. Nothing great (about 10% of the overall repair bill), but was satisfactory.
binand is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:22   #2313
mxh
BHPian

I ordered one remote control from Ali Express for my AC for 5.66 USD and after 25 days, it was delivered by normal postman and no duty was collected. What is the chance of the same happening for an item like Dashcam? Is there any particular seller or delivery method to be used based on which this duty is charged or not charged. Location: Andheri Mumbai.
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:31   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
I ordered one remote control from Ali Express for my AC for 5.66 USD and after 25 days, it was delivered by normal postman and no duty was collected. What is the chance of the same happening for an item like Dashcam? Is there any particular seller or delivery method to be used based on which this duty is charged or not charged. Location: Andheri Mumbai.
Just ask the seller to mark it as gift and declare low price. Usually above 50$, they will open and check.
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:32   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Is there any particular seller or delivery method to be used based on which this duty is charged or not charged. Location: Andheri Mumbai.
look at product feedback and especially feedback from India, people do write in there if they had to pay duty or not. I did not have to pay duty for my dashcam.
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:22   #2316
BHPian

I am planning to get a 64GB SD Card. Has anybody used Samsung Plus Evo 64GB in their dashcam? If yes, for how long?

I read here that Samsung cards are not supported and not even recommended as Samsung doesn't honour warranty if used in dashcam. Is it true?
Old 2nd August 2018, 20:01   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
I am planning to get a 64GB SD Card. Has anybody used Samsung Plus Evo 64GB in their dashcam? If yes, for how long?

I read here that Samsung cards are not supported and not even recommended as Samsung doesn't honour warranty if used in dashcam. Is it true?
I have used the same brand 32 GB card in my Viofo A119S since December 2017, and have been using the exact same card (64 GB) since a couple of months back (the 32 GB card is now used for music).
Till date did not face any data corruption whenever I checked.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 21:31   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Has anybody used Samsung Plus Evo 64GB in their dashcam? If yes, for how long?
Samsung cards are not supported and not even recommended as Samsung doesn't honour warranty if used in dashcam. Is it true?
I have been using Samsung EVO Plus 64 GB memory card since August 2017 in my Viofo A119. No issue so far. I use to format the card every month.

Samsung cards are supported in dashcams. Following was the response from Viofo about memory card.
Quote:
Thanks for choosing VIOFO. Yes, A119 supports memory card up to 128GB. Also according to our experience, Transcend or Samsung Micro SD card works well with our camera.
You are correct about warranty, here is the Samsung disclaimer "Warranty does not extend to dashcam, CCTV, surveillance camera and other write-intensive uses".
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 23:26   #2319
BHPian

There's a great deal on Banggood.com for Viofo A119S.

The reviews are not so good, so I wonder if they'll honour warranty/refund for the same. Has anybody purchased dashcam from them? If yes, was there any custom duty imposed?
Old 3rd August 2018, 15:25   #2320
BHPian

Has anyone over here ever had to claim warranty for your dashcams bought from China?
How was the experience and were the sellers even honoring the warranty? Any specific procedure you followed to make sure duty wasnt charged on the replacement.
Old 3rd August 2018, 15:42   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Has anyone over here ever had to claim warranty for your dashcams bought from China?
How was the experience and were the sellers even honoring the warranty? Any specific procedure you followed to make sure duty wasnt charged on the replacement.
I had sent back a dash cam 2 years back, took two weeks to reach via EMS (Speedpost), another two weeks for them to go through their processes and then another three weeks for the new one to reach me.

Sent back another one a few months back, reached within a week but was held by Chinese customs and returned to my doorstep two and a half months later.

Most Chinese sellers do honour warranty, as long as it reaches them, which is at your risk. Not much of a risk if it's defective though.
Old 3rd August 2018, 16:20   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Most Chinese sellers do honour warranty, as long as it reaches them, which is at your risk. Not much of a risk if it's defective though.
Are you the same harsh from Dashcamtalk. If yes, let us know if the A119s V2 still good, especially since it is on sale for 73 bucks. This is for someone like me who had always contemplated getting one but get discouraged by going through Dashcamtalk forums.
Old 3rd August 2018, 16:52   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Are you the same harsh from Dashcamtalk. If yes, let us know if the A119s V2 still good, especially since it is on sale for 73 bucks. This is for someone like me who had always contemplated getting one but get discouraged by going through Dashcamtalk forums.
The unit I had saw it all, firmware crashes due to inadequate power (lower gauge power cable), getting stuck on the VIOFO logo, the XXXXX's bug, the XXXXX's + screen corruption.

All have been fixed via firmware except the screen freezing issue. Firmware version 2.6 also mentions - "1.Fixed: The screen freezing issue.", time will tell.

Complete changelog available here - https://www.captureyouraction.com/pa...a119s-firmware

VIOFO says it's due to the ribbon cable going from the mainboard to the sensor and reseating it resolves the issue but then they keep releasing fixes via firmware to address an issue being attributed to a hardware fault. I understand that a component could trip the firmware and cause undesirable behaviour but for some reason I think there's more to it and this actually needs fixing by Novatek.

VIOFO's rep had mentioned that they intend on upgrading the ribbon cable for the A119 series, this was 6 months ago, don't know whether they've done so yet.

IMO the A119 is a safer buy.

Last edited by harsh79 : 3rd August 2018 at 16:53.
Old 4th August 2018, 08:05   #2324
BANNED

I have installed apeman C550 dual camera dash cam, front camera is awesome at 1080p but rear is just ok with claimed 720p which I doubt not even 480i. Paid some 5xxx bucks over aliexpress with GPS module.
The front camera view with one biker overtaking me from the wrong side

Old 4th August 2018, 08:12   #2325
BANNED

Have installed Innovv K1 dash camera on my tiger last year, not very clear but it does its job. Below are the sample clips from couple of months ago ride. Considering Innovv K2 for the coming baby BMW GS.

Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks