Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2018, 14:19   #2416
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Does the mount have a Mini-USB port? Haven't seen the non-GPS mount yet.

One on the left
Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, I got the one with the mini USB port, but Page 11 of the manual reads :
Note: Both GPS mount and non-GPS mount can be used for power.
So, I presume both types of mounts have power-in usb port.
I don't see any marking on the mount wrt GPS. Is there any method to confirm the type of mount ? Even after connecting and enabling the GPS in the Menu, it shows 'no gps'. What could be wrong?
Old 17th September 2018, 14:42   #2417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, I got the one with the mini USB port, but Page 11 of the manual reads :
Note: Both GPS mount and non-GPS mount can be used for power.
So, I presume both types of mounts have power-in usb port.
I don't see any marking on the mount wrt GPS. Is there any method to confirm the type of mount ? Even after connecting and enabling the GPS in the Menu, it shows 'no gps'. What could be wrong?
I haven't seen the non-GPS mount, the GPS mount was being bundled by default. They're probably using the same mount but without the GPS chip inside it.

Is it super light, the GPS one weighs 20 grams.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 14:49   #2418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
I haven't seen the non-GPS mount, the GPS mount was being bundled by default. They're probably using the same mount but without the GPS chip inside it.

Is it super light, the GPS one weighs 20 grams.
Mine is just 11.44 g. So it is the one without GPS??
Old 17th September 2018, 21:21   #2419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
For now, while I bought a stop-gap dash cam that'll be bequeathed to the city car once the Black Vue arrives. Unfortunately, I had some decision fatigue, so I missed out on the sleeker and cheaper Mini2 that has come up in two posts on this thread recently - wound up with the competent but bulky and slightly overpriced Transcend DP230/ It seemed an easy, safe choice. Ah well! Swings and roundabouts I s'pose.
Update:
Returned the Transcend DP230. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone - under almost no circumstances (speed, proximity, ambient light), is it good enough to capture number plates. Expensive too.
Good build, nice suction mount, not-too-awful app and easy installation though.
The 16gb card it came with couldn't even store a moderately heavy driving day's videos.

Last edited by Mu009 : 17th September 2018 at 21:22. Reason: Correction(s)
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 21:52   #2420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Returned the Transcend DP230. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Can you share some videos? I always had a soft corner for DP230 for it's build quality, but I think I should change my views now.

Unfortunately, our decade old newbie justchells was gifted this very same product recently. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4447495 (Ford doesn't have an EcoSport for Team-BHP; Can we please borrow yours?))
Mr.Boss is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 22:32   #2421
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Can you share some videos? I always had a soft corner for DP230 for it's build quality, but I think I should change my views now.

Unfortunately, our decade old newbie justchells was gifted this very same product recently. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4447495 (Ford doesn't have an EcoSport for Team-BHP; Can we please borrow yours?))
Just to let you know the DRivepro 230 is a $150 camera that is HD only vs the Blackvue that Mu009 is talking about which is a $370 4K camera.

I have the Viofo A119V2 as well as the DDPai mini2. I had recommended the DRivepro 230 and after justchells got it, tried it on as well as installed it in his car.

It is a much much better camera than my $80 DDpai and $105 Viofo.

I don't see the point in comparing a $150 camera with a $370 4K one. It's like comparing a point and shoot to a D-SLR.

For the price there's nothing better than the Drivepro230. It's expensive cause its from a known brand vs the unknown chinese which as a gift is not the best of options.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 22:46   #2422
Distinguished - BHPian

Vid6639, I'm not comparing any make / model here. I asked for a sample video to understand the actual performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It is a much much better camera than my $80 DDpai and $105 Viofo.
See the reply from Mu009
Quote:
under almost no circumstances (speed, proximity, ambient light), is it good enough to capture number plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't see the point in comparing a $150 camera with a $370 4K one. It's like comparing a point and shoot to a D-SLR.
I'm using A119 V2 and Blueskysea B1W and to be frank, $50 B1W (one third of DP230's cost) could capture the number plates except if they are reflective during night drives.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th September 2018 at 18:08. Reason: One of Vid's sentences ended up in Mu009's quote box. Moved it out to its own.
Mr.Boss is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 22:55   #2423
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm using A119 V2 and Blueskysea B1W and to be frank, $50 B1W (one third of DP230's cost) could capture the number plates except if they are reflective during night drives.
Depends on the lighting. Neither my DDpai or Viofo A119V2 is great in number plates and in the night not at all. And these have pretty good hardware.

Plates depend on lighting, distance and angle. I prefer the DDpai cause of the wireless remote which can take an instant click and in the image the pic is way clearer for the plates.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 22:55   #2424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm using... Blueskysea B1W and to be frank, $50 B1W (one third of DP230's cost) could capture the number plates except if they are reflective during night drives.
I am certainly in luck. Just as I was going through the specs and reviews of Blueskysea B1W, here comes your mention of the same. Where did you buy it from, when? How has the usage experience been? Would you recommend purchasing it?
Old 20th September 2018, 09:26   #2425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Where did you buy it from, when?
Aliexpress, 3 months back

Quote:
How has the usage experience been?
'So far so good' experience
Form factor, build quality & Video quality are above average, Wi-fi pairing is flawless. Only problem I faced is sometimes the mobile App hangs

Quote:
Would you recommend purchasing it?
At this price range (less than $50 including hard wiring kit), YES definitely.
Mr.Boss is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 15:17   #2426
BHPian

My 1 year old Viofo 119 V2 dash cam has suddenly stopped working since yesterday.

The Dash cam has been hard wired using the OE kit purchased from Aliexpress.

The device doesn't seem to switch ON.

What could be the problem?
Old 20th September 2018, 15:37   #2427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
My 1 year old Viofo 119 V2 dash cam has suddenly stopped working since yesterday.

Must be a loose connection. Check with the mechanic from whom you got it fixed.
Old 21st September 2018, 22:53   #2428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Or the way around. The 12v socket in the pre-facelift EcoSport is continuously powered so leaving the dashcam plugged in can drain your battery, as has happened with a few people.

Hard-wiring can be done such that the dashcam gets powered only when the engine is running. I personally prefer this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
your dashcam could remain powered either throughout or until the power management system switches off the power automatically. How long it remains on after switching off the ignition depends on if its powered by USB port or the power outlet and again varies between different makes of cars.

2. Provided you have chosen a suitable fuse, power to the dashcam will switch ON/OFF depending on the ignition switch. You may also choose, if you so wish, to use a fuse which is always powered. Any self respecting dashcam is designed to start recording as soon as the power is ON without any human interference and will also shutdown/sleep once the power supply is turned off. So your dashcam becomes practically hands free.
Any idea how the set up is with the Ford Endeavour 3.2? Iam having Transcend 220 dashcam for POLO & got a wiring kit to connect it to a fuse. But a reputed music system shop suggested me to connect it to a 12V socket directly. Till date i haven't faced any issues, but wanted to be double cautious with Endy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This article should clear a lot of queries - must read before you buy memory card for your dashcam:

https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/...sk-ultra-cards

I am currently using this since April 2018, had a 32 GB version of the same from December 17 to March 18 (scaled up for bigger storage space): https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For Transcend 220 DP, I use 64 GB Transcend premium 400X Micro SD XCI card. Till date no issues faced & it records upto last 6 hrs of driving. Planning to get the same Transcend card but with higher capacity of 128 GB but the cost was really on higher side, Costs Rs.4,440/-

https://www.amazon.in/Transcend-Clas.../dp/B00WS63GZK

Is it really worth to spend so much on a card? Any reliable alternatives VFM products?
Old 22nd September 2018, 00:13   #2429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Any idea how the set up is with the Ford Endeavour 3.2? Iam having Transcend 220 dashcam for POLO & got a wiring kit to connect it to a fuse. But a reputed music system shop suggested me to connect it to a 12V socket directly. Till date i haven't faced any issues, but wanted to be double cautious with Endy.
I didn't get exactly what you meant, but I have used the Transcend DP220 for more than a year and a half without any issues in my Endeavour 3.2. The only change I made was to replace the power socket adapter with a mini USB cable. Because, in the Endeavour, the power socket remains ON for a long time after locking the car. More than an hour and a half. I did not want this. The USB power outlet switches off after a few seconds of locking the car. This way, the dashcam comes ON and starts recording the moment I switch on the ignition and goes to sleep mode a few seconds after I lock the car. I hardly use the USB ports for anything else. Besides, the ports are almost hidden too. The only precaution I used to take was to remove the cam from its holder and keep it in the storage box below the arm rest every time the car was to be parked in the sun.

These days I use a slightly bigger dashcam (if you are interested, you can read post #2252 on page 151 in this thread) which I cannot power from the USB port. I have to use the power socket. I have changed the power off time of the socket. So now I leave it plugged all the time. It comes on with the ignition and goes to sleep mode 30 seconds after I lock the car. I never felt the need to hardwire a dashcam yet. I follow the same routine of not leaving the cam on the dashboard whenever I have to park the car in the sun for a long time.

I hope this answers your question. On the other hand, if you are asking me if its ok to hardwire the dashcam in the Endeavour, I don't see any reason why you cannot do so. As long as the person doing it knows what he is doing, it is a very safe option with absolutely no need to cut any wires. You are merely replacing an existing fuse with a tap. The original equipment whose fuse you have tapped remains protected by the same rating fuse and your dashcam has its own fuse on the tap.

Hope this helps.
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 01:39   #2430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post

Power it using a wall charger or the supplied charger & cable and see if it turns on. Could be a blown fuse or faulty hardwire kit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks