Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2018, 14:19   #2416
BHPian
 
anilagdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 202
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Does the mount have a Mini-USB port? Haven't seen the non-GPS mount yet.

One on the left
Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, I got the one with the mini USB port, but Page 11 of the manual reads :
Note: Both GPS mount and non-GPS mount can be used for power.
So, I presume both types of mounts have power-in usb port.
I don't see any marking on the mount wrt GPS. Is there any method to confirm the type of mount ? Even after connecting and enabling the GPS in the Menu, it shows 'no gps'. What could be wrong?
anilagdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 14:42   #2417
BHPian
 
harsh79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: DL 3C
Posts: 374
Thanked: 724 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, I got the one with the mini USB port, but Page 11 of the manual reads :
Note: Both GPS mount and non-GPS mount can be used for power.
So, I presume both types of mounts have power-in usb port.
I don't see any marking on the mount wrt GPS. Is there any method to confirm the type of mount ? Even after connecting and enabling the GPS in the Menu, it shows 'no gps'. What could be wrong?
I haven't seen the non-GPS mount, the GPS mount was being bundled by default. They're probably using the same mount but without the GPS chip inside it.

Is it super light, the GPS one weighs 20 grams.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 14:49   #2418
BHPian
 
anilagdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 202
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
I haven't seen the non-GPS mount, the GPS mount was being bundled by default. They're probably using the same mount but without the GPS chip inside it.

Is it super light, the GPS one weighs 20 grams.
Mine is just 11.44 g. So it is the one without GPS??
anilagdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 21:21   #2419
BHPian
 
Mu009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: M.P.
Posts: 200
Thanked: 379 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
For now, while I bought a stop-gap dash cam that'll be bequeathed to the city car once the Black Vue arrives. Unfortunately, I had some decision fatigue, so I missed out on the sleeker and cheaper Mini2 that has come up in two posts on this thread recently - wound up with the competent but bulky and slightly overpriced Transcend DP230/ It seemed an easy, safe choice. Ah well! Swings and roundabouts I s'pose.
Update:
Returned the Transcend DP230. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone - under almost no circumstances (speed, proximity, ambient light), is it good enough to capture number plates. Expensive too.
Good build, nice suction mount, not-too-awful app and easy installation though.
The 16gb card it came with couldn't even store a moderately heavy driving day's videos.

Last edited by Mu009 : 17th September 2018 at 21:22. Reason: Correction(s)
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 21:52   #2420
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Madras
Posts: 2,036
Thanked: 2,603 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Returned the Transcend DP230. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Can you share some videos? I always had a soft corner for DP230 for it's build quality, but I think I should change my views now.

Unfortunately, our decade old newbie justchells was gifted this very same product recently. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4447495 (Ford doesn't have an EcoSport for Team-BHP; Can we please borrow yours?))
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 22:32   #2421
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,954
Thanked: 21,687 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Can you share some videos? I always had a soft corner for DP230 for it's build quality, but I think I should change my views now.

Unfortunately, our decade old newbie justchells was gifted this very same product recently. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4447495 (Ford doesn't have an EcoSport for Team-BHP; Can we please borrow yours?))
Just to let you know the DRivepro 230 is a $150 camera that is HD only vs the Blackvue that Mu009 is talking about which is a $370 4K camera.

I have the Viofo A119V2 as well as the DDPai mini2. I had recommended the DRivepro 230 and after justchells got it, tried it on as well as installed it in his car.

It is a much much better camera than my $80 DDpai and $105 Viofo.

I don't see the point in comparing a $150 camera with a $370 4K one. It's like comparing a point and shoot to a D-SLR.

For the price there's nothing better than the Drivepro230. It's expensive cause its from a known brand vs the unknown chinese which as a gift is not the best of options.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 22:46   #2422
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Madras
Posts: 2,036
Thanked: 2,603 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Vid6639, I'm not comparing any make / model here. I asked for a sample video to understand the actual performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It is a much much better camera than my $80 DDpai and $105 Viofo.
See the reply from Mu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
under almost no circumstances (speed, proximity, ambient light), is it good enough to capture number plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't see the point in comparing a $150 camera with a $370 4K one. It's like comparing a point and shoot to a D-SLR.
I'm using A119 V2 and Blueskysea B1W and to be frank, $50 B1W (one third of DP230's cost) could capture the number plates except if they are reflective during night drives.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th September 2018 at 18:08. Reason: One of Vid's sentences ended up in Mu009's quote box. Moved it out to its own.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 22:55   #2423
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,954
Thanked: 21,687 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I'm using A119 V2 and Blueskysea B1W and to be frank, $50 B1W (one third of DP230's cost) could capture the number plates except if they are reflective during night drives.
Depends on the lighting. Neither my DDpai or Viofo A119V2 is great in number plates and in the night not at all. And these have pretty good hardware.

Plates depend on lighting, distance and angle. I prefer the DDpai cause of the wireless remote which can take an instant click and in the image the pic is way clearer for the plates.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 22:55   #2424
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA 18/KA 02
Posts: 800
Thanked: 1,995 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I'm using... Blueskysea B1W and to be frank, $50 B1W (one third of DP230's cost) could capture the number plates except if they are reflective during night drives.
I am certainly in luck. Just as I was going through the specs and reviews of Blueskysea B1W, here comes your mention of the same. Where did you buy it from, when? How has the usage experience been? Would you recommend purchasing it?
dailydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use your Camcorder/Digicam as a Dashcam for Rs.100 mukeshgoel Modifications & Accessories 20 15th September 2015 14:24
The DVR thread (Digital Video Recorder) rrangan Gadgets, Computers & Software 23 4th March 2015 12:03
Spy video camera with recorder for car gaddiwale Gadgets, Computers & Software 13 19th July 2014 04:22
Portable Audio Recorder Reqd condor Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 2nd January 2008 09:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks