Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2018, 08:28   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Because, in the Endeavour, the power socket remains ON for a long time after locking the car. More than an hour and a half. I did not want this. The USB power outlet switches off after a few seconds of locking the car. This way, the dashcam comes ON and starts recording the moment I switch on the ignition and goes to sleep mode a few seconds after I lock the car. I hardly use the USB ports for anything else. Besides, the ports are almost hidden too. The only precaution I used to take was to remove the cam from its holder and keep it in the storage box below the arm rest every time the car was to be parked in the sun.
Quote:
I have to use the power socket. I have changed the power off time of the socket. So now I leave it plugged all the time. It comes on with the ignition and goes to sleep mode 30 seconds after I lock the car. I never felt the need to hardwire a dashcam yet. I follow the same routine of not leaving the cam on the dashboard whenever I have to park the car in the sun for a long time.

I hope this answers your question. On the other hand, if you are asking me if its ok to hardwire the dashcam in the Endeavour, I don't see any reason why you cannot do so. As long as the person doing it knows what he is doing, it is a very safe option with absolutely no need to cut any wires. You are merely replacing an existing fuse with a tap. The original equipment whose fuse you have tapped remains protected by the same rating fuse and your dashcam has its own fuse on the tap.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot. It answered my question

Transcend220 DP I mentioned was for the other hatchback where it was hardwired and source of power is 12V socket, instead of connecting it to a fuse. Iam yet to connect Transcend DP550 to Endy & prefer to hardwire the same. Will definitely insist to connect it to a fuse. How did you manage to change the power off time of the socket?
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 09:01   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
For Transcend 220 DP, I use 64 GB Transcend premium 400X Micro SD XCI card. Till date no issues faced & it records upto last 6 hrs of driving. Planning to get the same Transcend card but with higher capacity of 128 GB but the cost was really on higher side, Costs Rs.4,440/-

https://www.amazon.in/Transcend-Clas.../dp/B00WS63GZK

Is it really worth to spend so much on a card? Any reliable alternatives VFM products?
Check these:
https://www.amazon.in/Transcend-UHS-.../dp/B07C9PVLN8

https://paytmmall.com/samsung-evo-pl...892CE88BCD-pdp
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:35   #2433
BHPian

Hello Harsh, I tried plugging the dash cam into mains using stock usb cable, but the camera doesn't seem to switch on.

Should I contact the seller and check if he can help?
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:42   #2434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
How did you manage to change the power off time of the socket?
Let's not discuss it here, it would be way off topic. PM me your WhatsApp number and we shall discuss it there. Cheers!
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 19:14   #2435
Senior - BHPian

In case anyone was waiting for a price drop - the viofo A129 dual camera wifi dashcam is now available on Aliexpress for about $170 (almost $70 discount).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32...45702e0eYbgNsk
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 20:10   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
In case anyone was waiting for a price drop - the viofo A129 dual camera wifi dashcam is now available on Aliexpress for about $170 (almost $70 discount).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32...45702e0eYbgNsk
It has been available for the same price on Banggood since launch. So not a deal in the real sense.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 20:12   #2437
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
It's been priced at $169.90 from the time of release IIRC.

The pricing shown on the website ($242) isn't right. So, please don't think the discount of $70 is being offered. More of a gimmick to attract eyeballs I think.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2018 at 06:33. Reason: Typos
Old 23rd September 2018, 20:54   #2438
BHPian

I have been using the Blueskysea B1W for a month now. Bought it from Aliexpress for $ 49.34 including hardwire kit.

I am no dash cam expert, but at this price point (even with the $ at Rs.73,), I think it is a damn good buy and captures excellent videos and stills as well. Have found it very user-friendly as well and my iPhone pairs to its wifi very easily.

As has been pointed out earlier in this thread by other users (for all kinds of dashcams including Blueskysea B1W), the videos may not capture the number plates at night very well due to reflection, but I think that is something we will have to learn to live with as even the costlier dashcams have the same problem.

One major reason for me to highly recommend the Blueskysea B1W is that due to its size (87 mm x 43 mm x 35 mm) and colour (black), it totally merges with the colour of the rearview mirror and is very difficult (next to impossible) for anyone to spot easily, unless you point to the camera and show it to them. I would even recommend getting it hardwired as that frees up the front mobile charger port and with the hardwiring done there are no hanging wires and the stealthiness of the camera becomes even better.

Attaching a pic (Apologies for the poor quality) of my Duster with the Dashcam hardwired.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_8865.jpg  

Touringlawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 09:22   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
I have been using the Blueskysea B1W for a month now. Bought it from Aliexpress for $ 49.34 including hardwire kit.
How is the performance of the dashcam at night time in terms of brightness/picture quality etc. Did you have to pay any additional custom duties.
gautamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 18:14   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
How is the performance of the dashcam at night time in terms of brightness/picture quality etc. Did you have to pay any additional custom duties.
I would definitely rate the night picture and video quality to be good. (Please check the youtube video reviews of this camera, I have found the videos to be quite accurate and genuine as I get the same picture and video quality). As I had mentioned, capturing the number plates at night is a struggle because of reflection of the headlight, so please do bear that in mind. Though at the same time, I have found that even at night, at times you may capture the number plate of a vehicle in front in another lane (right or left) but not directly in front of you. Point being that its all due to your own vehicle's headlight reflection that the dashcam is not able to capture the number plate of the vehicle at front and this should be true for even better quality and costlier dashcams.

But other than that, I have no complaints so far. Also please note (and I am emphasizing about it again) that everything is good at a price. At approx. INR 3500, I would say I am absolutely satisfied. Would there be costlier and better alternatives to this, the answer has to be a yes, but at this price point, it more than does its job.

I did not have to pay any additional customs duties.
Touringlawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 14:36   #2441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The USB power outlet switches off after a few seconds of locking the car. This way, the dashcam comes ON and starts recording the moment I switch on the ignition and goes to sleep mode a few seconds after I lock the car. I hardly use the USB ports for anything else. Besides, the ports are almost hidden too.
I have a DP220 as well and tried your method yesterday on my EcoSport. Problem is, the moment I connect the dashcam to the USB port, it goes into accessory mode (as if it has been connected to a computer).
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 15:43   #2442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I have a DP220 as well and tried your method yesterday on my EcoSport. Problem is, the moment I connect the dashcam to the USB port, it goes into accessory mode (as if it has been connected to a computer).
Ok. Understood. I am not an expert. But I think you can work around this one.

Need some DIY. If you have a spare mini USB cable, try that first. I assume you used a standard mini USB cable which probably has 4 wires inside the outer covering. Split open the outer covering of the wire (anywhere along the length of the wire) and expose the inner 4 wires.

If you see White, Green, Red and Black wires inside, green and white are for data and red and black for power. Cut the green and white wires, you don't need them. Tape the open ends with insulation tape.

If you see Orange, White, Blue and Green wires, green and blue are for data and orange and white for power. Cut the green and blue wires, you don't need them. Tape the open ends with insulation tape.

Then tape the entire section you exposed.

It might be easier to cut the cable into 2 halves and reconnect only the wires for power, ie, red and black or orange and white. Then put insulation tape over the whole thing.

Now you only have power going to the dashcam and no data. It should ideally not go into 'computer connected' mode.

If you have a multimeter, it will help you reconfirm the power cables.

Once again - try it on a spare mini USB cable and see if it works before cutting the long wire for the dashcam.

Hope it works. Good luck. Am not responsible if you blow up anything, do it at your own risk.

Do share your experience and feel free to ask for any help.

Last edited by SCORPION : 25th September 2018 at 15:56.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 12:54   #2443
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Looks like my 1 year old Viofo A119 V2 has stopped working for the past few days and has gone kaput :(

So, I messaged the AliExpress seller regarding this issue and he has asked me to ship the dashcam to him to look into the issue.

So, my question to you guys is that, is it safe to ship the product to the seller?

Is there anything that I need to consider before shipping?

Please help.
Old 27th September 2018, 13:00   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Shipping to China will cost you a substantial amount. Registered Post / Speedpost will be the cheapest but still expensive. And the receiver may have to pay additional customs so enclose the original invoice if you have it, and also declare the contents as broken / damaged and sent for repair.

Or as it is a cheap item, just buy a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hello BHPians,

Looks like my 1 year old Viofo A119 V2 has stopped working for the past few days and has gone kaput :(

So, I messaged the AliExpress seller regarding this issue and he has asked me to ship the dashcam to him to look into the issue.

So, my question to you guys is that, is it safe to ship the product to the seller?

Is there anything that I need to consider before shipping?

Please help.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 01:16   #2445
BHPian

Hi, I am currently in the UK and have narrowed down on either the Garmin 55 or the Transcend 230. Both are around the same price at approx £110 ~ 10K INR. Any suggestions on which one to go for? Or any other recommendations?

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks