Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2020, 20:01   #2881
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I think you need to format the card once. Do it when the memory card is plugged-in.
...Thanks.

I did it, but had to use the laptop for the full format. Took quite a while. I think the card became full and that caused the error (shouldn't happen though).

After re-inserting the card and turning the camera on, it said memory card initializing... and it started working again.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:16   #2882
BHPian

I'm looking for a Dashcam within a budget of 5k. Currently shortlisted the following:

1) Blueskysea B1W - Issue is with the charger unit provided. Once plugged in to the cigarette lighter, no other phone can be charged since it is not shipped with dual USB ports kind of charger like other dashcams (one port for dashcam, another free port).

2) Yi dashcam - No suction mount provided, more like a permanent stick-on type fitting. Fitting has to be perfect in the first attempt. Any issue with fitting will be an issue if I need to relocate the dashcam to another location on the windshield.

3) 70mai Pro - 500 mah battery included, which can be a big issue when parked in direct sunlight for a long time. Also not sure whether suction mount is provided, or this also has permanent stick-on type of fitting.

Any input in greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2020, 14:12   #2883
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
I'm looking for a Dashcam within a budget of 5k.
Do have a look at DDPai Mini dascham. Falls in the budget you've chosen.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 14:30   #2884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Do have a look at DDPai Mini dascham. Falls in the budget you've chosen.
How is the mounting? Sticker based or suction based?

Are the number plates readable?

I see DDPai Mini and Mini2p. Which are are you using?

Last edited by scorpion_blore : 22nd February 2020 at 14:44.
Old 22nd February 2020, 16:15   #2885
BANNED

Quote:
How is the mounting? Sticker based or suction based?

Are the number plates readable?

I see DDPai Mini and Mini2p. Which are are you using?
Sticker based. Sort of readable. I had the DDPai Mini. Sold it off an year back.

I'm getting a dual dashcam soon.
Old 22nd February 2020, 16:16   #2886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3) 70mai Pro - 500 mah battery included, which can be a big issue when parked in direct sunlight for a long time. Also not sure whether suction mount is provided, or this also has permanent stick-on type of fitting.
I recently bought 70mai Smart Dash Cam 1S for Rs.3980/-

Good one, easy to use, no hiccups. It is a sticker type and not suction mount. Not sure about the battery and sunlight thing yet. Good quality videos and syncs with phone seamlessly.

The only bug is that it takes commands if some song is played or while we speak. Very rarely though.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:17   #2887
BHPian

Finally went ahead and ordered Yi Smart Dashcam, finally arrived today. I'm a bit surprised to see that Yi has included a charger with just a single USB port. I would like to charge my mobile simultaneously and would need a dual charger.

I'm confused what dual charger to order from Amazon. YI user guide says their car charger stats as: Input 12-24V and Output 5V. Will this specific car charger work for using both mobile and dashcam simultaneously?
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:41   #2888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will this specific car charger work for using both mobile and dashcam simultaneously?
Yes, it will work.

I personally bought a "boAt Dual Port Rapid Car Charger (Qualcomm Certified) Smart Charging with Quick Charge 3.0" and it gives one port with quick charging (for mobile) and other for dashcam. I liked it so much that I bought one more for second car.

https://www.amazon.in/Dual-Charger-Q.../dp/B07BK1LZWQ
mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:47   #2889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Yes, it will work.

I personally bought a "boAt Dual Port Rapid Car Charger (Qualcomm Certified) Smart Charging with Quick Charge 3.0" and it gives one port with quick charging (for mobile) and other for dashcam. I liked it so much that I bought one more for second car.

https://www.amazon.in/Dual-Charger-Q.../dp/B07BK1LZWQ
Thanks, this helps. Always means a lot when a comment/feedback comes from T-BHPian compared to hundreds of reviews on e-commerce sites. Ordering one right away!
scorpion_blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:51   #2890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, this helps. Always means a lot when a comment/feedback comes from T-BHPian compared to hundreds of reviews on e-commerce sites. Ordering one right away!
You can choose one with Micro USB or USB Type C Cable also at an addition (marginal) cost. They are good quality cables.
mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 19:43   #2891
BHPian

Got the Yi Dashcam installed today, and powered via cigarette lighter slot.

I'm seeing few issues with this dashcam:
1) Every time I power-up the car, the dashcam shows the UI to set the date and time. Unless I do this, the dashcam does not start the recording, also does not turn on Wi-Fi. This beats the whole purpose of owning a dashcam (install and let it do its job in the background)

2) Second major issue is downloading videos on the phone. It is possible to open a specific video and then download on to the phone via Wi-Fi. But bulk download option is missing (however the Android app provides bulk delete).

3) Settings are not retained, every time I need to enter the same settings.

Anyone having the same issue with Yi dashcam? This is really a bummer, this is my first dashcam purchase and never expected such a pathetic experience.

Edit: On further debugging, I found that the in-built battery is not getting charged. The unit has a red LED at the bottom right corner, and it is not blinking indicating that the unit is not getting charged.
I tried using different charger and cable, also tried connecting to wall socket. Nothing solved the issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th February 2020 at 21:38. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
scorpion_blore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 14:27   #2892
BHPian

I'm really spooked by the videos and this thread : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...vertaking.html and I'm going to install a dashcam ASAP. I had a blaupunkt few years back and it wasn't hardwired. Eventually lost the dashcam in the pile of junk or the services and honestly it was not convenient managing it. Need one which syncs up easily with the phone, can be hard wired without screwing up the battery and can be reliable. I have a Brezza and will be ok to spend anywhere below 10k. Please help me out on zeroing something down. 70Mai pro seems like a good choice though.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 04:51   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
I'm really spooked by the videos and this thread : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...vertaking.html and I'm going to install a dashcam ASAP.
After reading the thread on the frightening experience of fellow member Thilak29 & having been a fence-sitter with regard to dash cams, I reviewed dash cams and zeroed in on Kent CamEye, Transcend Drive Pro 230 & 70mai Smart Dash Cam Pro.
Finally just ordered the 70mai Drive Pro and 128gb micro SD since a couple of reviews say that though SD capacity is mentioned 8 - 64 gb, it does support 128 gb.
Did not opt for the 70mai GPS module for speed and location add-on since most reviews said it was not worth buying.
Delivery expected on 7th March.
Will update real life experience if the dash cam supports 128 gb or not.
Ithaca is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 09:25   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Finally just ordered the 70mai Drive Pro and 128gb micro SD since a couple of reviews say that though SD capacity is mentioned 8 - 64 gb, it does support 128 gb.
Thanks for the update. I have had my eyes on the 70mai for quite sometime now. How do you plan to power it? I don't want to fiddle around with the electronics so hard wiring may be an issue. I am super confused but looking at what our fellow BHPian went through, a dash cam is very much required.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 11:57   #2895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
ordered the 70mai Drive Pro and 128gb micro SD
Does this support a rear Dash cam recording simultaneously in addition to the front or is it only the front cam that is recorded? The specs don't mention anything so am assuming it can record only from the front cam..
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed