Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 15:03   #2896
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Does this support a rear Dash cam recording simultaneously in addition to the front or is it only the front cam that is recorded?
Hi, AMG Power, this particular dash cam does not support simultaneous front & rear recording, only front cam recording.
For that you need to check out Kent CamEye or Transcend Drive Pro 520.
I did not opt for the Kent CamEye at this juncture since I was not interested in paying Rs 16,000 odd for it and then an additional Rs 7200 subscribtion for various services though the first 3 months are free.
Will use the 70mai cam pro and if not satisfied, will upgrade later to the CamEye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
I have had my eyes on the 70mai for quite sometime now. How do you plan to power it?
Hi tarik.arora, from the YouTube videos, I learnt that the box includes a 12V car charger with two usb slots. This will fit into the cigarette lighter of the car and will power the dash cam & the other slot I can use to power my phone.

Here are two videos in Hindi & English that give you an idea of what to expect with the 70mai dash cam pro.

Hindi Review

English Review

The second video around 5.37 min mark shows you that you can input the USB port into the car USB slot in case it is upfront.

For now, I will not want to tamper with the roof lagging or the A-Pillar plastic cover of my car. Will use it initially with wires dangling and get it enclosed by a professional car detailing guy. I do not trust my DIY skills.

Last edited by Ithaca : 6th March 2020 at 15:12.
Ithaca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 16:50   #2897
BHPian

I am told, I may have to let go my dash cam due to some unique circumstances that I got into, since I intend to keep the habit of recording while driving , I would need to make a fresh buy. This time , may be a cam with 360 degree view - is there such thing in market ?

I bought my current one during my Last London trip. With Corona fears, I am not sure if Aliexpress is still an option for shopping. I may fly to Europe in couple of months so I am open to purchase there, if such models are unavailable domestically. Kindly advise.
Old 6th March 2020, 17:53   #2898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
..For now, I will not want to tamper with the roof lagging or the A-Pillar plastic cover of my car. Will use it initially with wires dangling and get it enclosed by a professional car detailing guy. I do not trust my DIY skills.
Few mins back I made this post on the Verna Review thread. It is a pretty simple install - at least in case of Verna. You don't have to remove the complete A pillar cover. Just have to shove it under with a plastic spoon/tool .

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4764519 (Hyundai Verna : Official Review)

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-inkedimg_20200202_145417_li.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I am told, I may have to let go my dash cam due to some unique circumstances that I got into, since I intend to keep the habit of recording while driving , I would need to make a fresh buy. This time , may be a cam with 360 degree view - is there such thing in market ?
After reading your episode even I'm thinking of getting another cam for interiors. There are no 360 degree cams as such AFAIK but there are few dual camera systems which record both interior and exterior actions. Else we can get a cheap action camera [there is one available for 4K INR on Amazon.in with 170 degree view] for car interiors.

Last edited by somspaple : 6th March 2020 at 18:00.
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 22:47   #2899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post

I'm seeing few issues with this dashcam:
Very unfortunate. What happened further, any resolution yet? That must be quite annoying to use it that way. No warranty or return policies?
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 13:00   #2900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
I'm really spooked by the video
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Finally just ordered the 70mai Drive Pro and 128gb micro SD since a couple of reviews say that though SD capacity is mentioned 8 - 64 gb, it does support 128 gb.
Will update real life experience if the dash cam supports 128 gb or not.
Received the dashcam today and set it up. Set up is very easy to do.
One piece of advise - download & install the 70mai app from playstore or appstore as may be the case to save time when you setting up the dashcam.
The charging wire provided is long enough.

The 128 gb microSD card was accepted by the dashcam and formatted.
Though product description on Amazon says it only supports upto 64 gb, you can install a 128 gb microSD if you wish.

The dashcam works well and supports 128 gb MicroSD card.
Only issue is that if you wish to view the videos, do not use VLC.
With VLC, the videos were fuzzy / snowy & I thought this low budget cam was a mistake.
Then I played the same with Windows Media Player, the same videos were seamless.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 7th March 2020 at 17:11. Reason: Merged on request. Thanks.
Ithaca is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 00:59   #2901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Very unfortunate. What happened further, any resolution yet? That must be quite annoying to use it that way. No warranty or return policies?
Good that I used Amazon for ordering the dashcam. The initial dashcam didn't charge. They provided a replacement as part of their policy, and that too had the same issue.
After multiple agonising hours of phone and chat discussions with their customer care, they finally agreed to process the refund.

Now need to hunt another dashcam, back to square one.
Old 8th March 2020, 09:35   #2902
ada
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Thanks for the update. I have had my eyes on the 70mai for quite sometime now. How do you plan to power it? I don't want to fiddle around with the electronics so hard wiring may be an issue. I am super confused but looking at what our fellow BHPian went through, a dash cam is very much required.
You can always draw power from USB linked to a cigarette lighter, you can easily route the wire from behind the glove box and panels. That is what I have done.
ada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 11:24   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
There do exist 360deg view parking camera systems with DVR functionality but they’re expensive. The good ones on AliE are easily priced at 20-30K or more.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th March 2020 at 11:34. Reason: Quote trimmed
nigr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 19:37   #2904
BHPian

So, I went ahead and bought a 70mai 1s due to a simple reason that if I don't set it up this weekend it'll take another month. Have to travel each weekend for the coming month. However, I got the 1s and 64gb SanDisk class 10 sd Card within few hours from Amazon! (Ordered at night and next day it was home!) I'm pretty impressed with the out come and ease of using it, here is a sample from the weekend drive.

bhansali_hardik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 08:49   #2905
BHPian

Quote:
here is a sample from the weekend drive.
How is the clarity during night?
Old 11th March 2020, 00:17   #2906
Senior - BHPian

Any Viofo A129 users here ? What micro SD cards do you people use ? I tried Samsung but it throws up an error each time even after I format it within the camera. Whenever there's an error the camera stops recording so I have no footage or even if I do it'll ask for a format as soon as I put it into a computer so all footage is lost.
Old 11th March 2020, 00:56   #2907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Any Viofo A129 users here ? What micro SD cards do you people use ?
I have been using a Samsung EVO plus Grade 3, Class 10 64GB card for a year and a half now. Ensure that you get a Class 10 with a high transfer rate ~100MB/s for fast transfer and quick change over to new files with every timed file switch.

I had a Strontium Nitro UHS-1 Class 10, but it had issues with the last files since it would be too slow to complete writing before the power went out after turning off the car.

Last edited by swissknife : 11th March 2020 at 01:01.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 01:35   #2908
BHPian

Quote:
So, I went ahead and bought a 70mai 1s due to a simple reason that if I don't set it up this weekend it'll take another month. I'm pretty impressed with the out come and ease of using it, here is a sample from the weekend drive.
There seems to be significant amount of dash reflection on the windshield, which is affecting the video.
Since I'm also planning to get dashcam, I'm afraid of facing the same issue. Especially due to the 3M cooling film, I felt that the dash reflection on windshield is higher when driving in bright sunlight. So, how to avoid this affecting video quality fellow bhpians?
Old 11th March 2020, 09:58   #2909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
After reading numerous reviews online and in this thread, I got the BlueSkySea B1W dash cam for my Chrysler.
Was so impressed with this tiny and cheap cam that I went ahead and bought one more BlueSkySea B1W for my wife's Peugeot.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-blueskyseab1wfrontandrear.jpg

The biggest plus point is the audible messages from the cam such as 'SD card detected', 'Recording started', 'Recording stopped', etc. Gives you an assurance that the cam is working as intended.

Of course, it is capacitor driven, which is very essential for UAE's climatic conditions.

Also, just realized that the provided charger which slots into the power socket in the car has a sliding cover, which reveals another built-in USB port (in case you need to charge your phone). This is especially useful if your car has only one power socket in the front.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 10:11   #2910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
You can always draw power from USB linked to a cigarette lighter, you can easily route the wire from behind the glove box and panels. That is what I have done.
Yes, that is what i am planning to do now. All thanks to the wisdom shared here. Are off the shelf longer wires available for this? The wire needs to be around 3+ metres for this.

Most Viewed