Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2020, 11:19   #2956
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I have being using DDPAI mini Car Dash Camera & Samsung Evo 64 GB since last November and I find the performance pretty satisfactory. I haven't hardwired it and don't have any plan to so do in my current ride. The only glitch is that I have a Philips made air purifier which has a cigarette lighter socket adapter and the camera has similar; so sometimes I have to make a choice whether to run the air purifier or the dash camera.
Old 25th March 2020, 12:37   #2957
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
...so sometimes I have to make a choice whether to run the air purifier or the dash camera.
Why not get a dual 12V power socket setup that can run both the dashcam as well as the air purifier?!

Something like this!
Old 25th March 2020, 16:11   #2958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why not get a dual 12V power socket setup that can run both the dashcam as well as the air purifier?!

Something like this!
Dear a4anurag, I was also thinking on similar lines. Although I was skeptical about whether how much load one cigarette lighter socket can handle. Let me dig in to find out more power consumption details of both the utilities.
Old 26th March 2020, 07:50   #2959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
Dear a4anurag, I was also thinking on similar lines. Although I was skeptical about whether how much load one cigarette lighter socket can handle. Let me dig in to find out more power consumption details of both the utilities.
Cigarette lighter socket has 10 A limit.

Even a tire inflator can be run for 5 min with engine ON. So nothing to worry on that part. The combined load of both gadgets will not exceed 2 to 3 amps
Old 30th March 2020, 00:56   #2960
BHPian

Hi there, i am looking for a dash cam at approximately ₹5000. The dash cam should be automatic in function i.e. in control of the ignition as i don't want to switch it on/off manually plus it would be better off when i kend my car to someone. The bigger the storage capacity, the better. Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.
Old 30th March 2020, 01:46   #2961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickshift99 View Post
Hi there, i am looking for a dash cam at approximately ₹5000. The dash cam should be automatic in function i.e. in control of the ignition as i don't want to switch it on/off manually plus it would be better off when i kend my car to someone. The bigger the storage capacity, the better. Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.
Most, if not all, dashcams are plug and play. In the sense, stick it on the windshield, hide the wires, plug it into the 12v socket or USB port and you are good to go. They will come ON when you switch on the ignition. When they go OFF, will depend on how long power to the socket or USB port remains on, after you have switched the ignition off. Depends on your car. Varies from a few seconds or minutes or hours or in some rare cases, the power just doesn't go off, in which case you will have to remember to unplug it yourself. Else, you run the risk of draining your cars battery, especially if the car is sparingly used or if the battery is old. So please check the power points in your car. Most dashcams use the 12v sockets with a step down adapter bringing the voltage down to 5v. You can also hard wire the dashcam directly to the fuse box with a kit. That comes later, if you feel the need for it.

I have used many dashcams in different cars the past few years, ranging from cheap ones with no names to medium priced ones like the Transcend Drivepro 220. Never tried the high-end ones like the Viofo series. I was happy with the DP220. The only issue I had with it was the Li ion battery. Always made it a point to remove it whenever I parked in the sun. Read many stories about Lithium batteries exploding or swelling up in heat. That kind of irked me and I started looking for a capacitor based one. Didn't want to spend too much on a Dashcam again. So finally settled for the DDPai Mini dashcam.

The DDPai mini is probably the cheapest capacitor dashcam you can get. Paid Rs.4000 for it. Daylight videos are quite good. Night videos are not that great, but good for what you pay. It will serve the purpose of a dashcam very well. Downside (or upside, depending on how you look at it) is that there is no built in GPS. It has no display. I do not miss a display because dashcam displays are too small anyway and from experience, only helps during the initial alignment. For any real viewing, I have always used a laptop or mobile. The DDpai mini is therefore quite easy to hide behind the IRVM. You can easily connect it to your phone using the DDPai app and it connects quite quickly. Everything can be done from your mobile. It can take micro SD cards up to 128gb. Am using a 128gb card with no issues. Sharing a link below for the DDPai mini.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07L6L9KW1/..._q5pGEbENN7994

Another cheap, but reportedly good capacitor dashcam under 5000, is the Blueskysea B1W. Again, available on Amazon.

There are other battery based ones too, for less than 5000 from 70mai, Akaso etc which are also good. But I would recommend a capacitor based one for peace of mind, in our weather conditions.

Last edited by SCORPION : 30th March 2020 at 01:52.
SCORPION is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 10:07   #2962
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Is anyone using a dual channel dashcam like the sorts of viofo a129 duo or for that matter, a rear standalone dash cam in an EcoSport?

I was actually considering to buy a dual channel dashcam and then the thought of actually fixing it on my car came to my mind. With a boot door that open side ways, i would need to have a very long cable( longer than an upward opening boot) with quite some free end dangling near the boot area.

Has anyone thought of a work around? Anybody using a similar set up please pitch in.

Thank you.
Old 9th May 2020, 11:41   #2963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickshift99 View Post
I would agree with most of what Scorpion has mentioned about installation & set-up. However at 5k, there are plenty of branded options available.

I was also with the same budget & a condition that I didn't want to opt for a screen based one - due to fear of the cam becoming inoperable if the screen breaks.
Opted for Viofo WR1 & it has been serving me well for close to 2 years now. It supports a micro sd card, upto 128 gb iirc.
Regarding set-up, I've hardwired it to the front seat 12v socket from inside the console so as to hide away any wires. If you have access to a decent installer, try doping a fuse tap. Better still use a fuse that is 'always on' & take benefit of the cam's parking sentry mode.

You can check out a video that I shot & few snaps of the setup here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4418453

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
With a boot door that open side ways, i would need to have a very long cable.... Has anyone thought of a work around? Anybody using a similar set up please pitch in.

Thank you.
Not using one, but, the hinge principle remains the same for both doors. You'll just have to keep a buffer wire at the hinge.
Run the wire from your camera, parallel to the top of your door frame towards the hinged side & then leave about 5 to 6 inchs of buffer wire before you hoop it over to the car body & you should be good.

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 9th May 2020 at 11:45.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 12:31   #2964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
Hi everyone,

Is anyone using a dual channel dashcam like the sorts of viofo a129 duo or for that matter, a rear standalone dash cam in an EcoSport?

I was actually considering to buy a dual channel dashcam and then the thought of actually fixing it on my car came to my mind. With a boot door that open side ways, i would need to have a very long cable( longer than an upward opening boot) with quite some free end dangling near the boot area.

Has anyone thought of a work around? Anybody using a similar set up please pitch in.

Thank you.
The standard length for the rear camera cable 4 metres, I think a longer cable is available separately. Doesn't need to dangle, you could use cable management clips and route it to the rear camera.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 14:21   #2965
BHPian

I think you're assuming that the rear cam has to be placed in the middle of the rear windshield. Not necessarily. Though I use a sedan I have placed my rear dashcam in one corner of the rear windshield since the high stop lamp is in the middle at the top. Your view will be a bit off centred but that's no big deal. You can place it in the top corner of the hinged side, which will result in a minimum amount of dangling cable. Try it out without sticking it first by asking a friend to hold it in place while you observe the effect on the screen.
Old 12th May 2020, 17:02   #2966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
The seller was Vijay Sales. I bought it for Rs. 6989/- including GPS and Hardwire kit.
I'm looking to buy the same bundle, but it seems to be no longer available. Only the GPS is available as a bundle. I'd rather buy the hardwire kit as well as a bundle since it seems to be cheaper. But neither the bundle nor the separate kit seems to be available now. What does the hardwire kit look like? Do you think we'll be able to use a generic kit available offline?
Old 17th May 2020, 06:55   #2967
BHPian

Pardon me folks but very basic question here. Does leaving the dashcam permanently plugged in (12v charger) risk draining the battery? Car is the Ford Ecosport, so power to 12v socket is not cut on ignition off. It’s my daily drive and rarely left standing parked.

Thanks!
Old 17th May 2020, 10:44   #2968
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Car is the Ford Ecosport, so power to 12v socket is not cut on ignition off. It’s my daily drive and rarely left standing parked.
If the car is used regularly and for a good amount of distance then I don't think you should be worried.

Also if you want the dashcam to record footage when the car is parked, let it be plugged in else you can remove it if you feel it is unnecessary.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 14:24   #2969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Pardon me folks but very basic question here. Does leaving the dashcam permanently plugged in (12v charger) risk draining the battery? Car is the Ford Ecosport, so power to 12v socket is not cut on ignition off. It's my daily drive and rarely left standing parked.

Thanks!
It's a very valid question. Below factors would have a bearing on the answer though:
1. Is your dash cam capacitor or battery based? Capacitors are safer when powered on continuously
2. Is your car parked indoor or outdoor? Indoor would help keep overall temperatures in control. So it'll be safer if you have it always plugged in
3. Does the dash cam have sleep mode? If it does then it's an easy yes. If no, basis answer to Q1 & Q2, you can or should avoid

12v sockets get pretty warm when continuously powering electronics. I'd suggest you hardwire it to a live fuse.

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 17th May 2020 at 14:26.
Old 19th May 2020, 14:58   #2970
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to buy a dashcam for my 2016 VW Vento. The car is primarily driven on highways so a front-facing dashcam should be sufficient.

Requirements
- Has to have a wide FOV
- 720p/1080p Recording
- Should be plug and play (preferably hardwired and not connected to the 12V Socket)
- Budget - Rs.5000

Also, would the camera turn on automatically when the car turns on (if routed through the headliner)?

Most Viewed