Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2020, 13:27   #2986
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Sorry I meant those that come with displays on the body vs those without displays.

Is there any benefit to having a video display on the body of the cam?

Also are there specific rear dash cams, or they the same?
A physical display has its benefits, especially if something goes wrong. Can be quite frustrating figuring out what's wrong when all you have is a blinking or solid LED vs a visual clue. Also when you need to quickly change a setting or format the card, opposed to pulling out your phone, connecting to the cam's wifi and the proceeding onto using the app.

Same camera can be used for the rear or look at dual channel models.
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 13:58   #2987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
When am on the move, I would like to record the road ahead for both possible incident cases and also for Travelogues. Very occasionally when I need to park in the open (say outside a stadium) in a dodgy place, record when not in motion.
The very purpose of a dashcam is to record the road ahead, and/or behind you, depending on what type of dashcam you have. Dashcams are not very ideal for travelogues because they are meant to be fixed in one place and do not have a manual or auto pan feature. At most you might be able to move it up or down. So your travelogue, through your dashcam, will be limited to it's viewing angle and to where your car is pointing.

All dashcams require a micro SD card on which it records continuously in clips of 1,2,3,5 or 10 mins depending on how you want it. They have loop recording which means once the card is full, the oldest file gets overwritten. There is a separate folder where it saves images and videos in case of an incident, either manually or automatically, depending on its features. This folder is never overwritten unless you do so manually. Some have in built memory too.

Dashcams come with Li ion battery or a capacitor. Capacitor type is more suited to our hot conditions if you need to park your vehicle in the sun most of the time. The in-built battery or the capacitor is used only to power the camera for a safe shut down and also to click/save pictures/videos if you have a parking feature which uses G-forces. If you need to record continuously while you are parked, you will have to connect it to a fuse which remains powered throughout. This is called hardwiring. Hardwiring kits may need to be purchased separately.

Some dashcams have an in-built screen, some don't. The ones without screens are obviously smaller and therefore can be placed more discretely. They have a wifi function and you can connect them to your phone through an app to view or download the clips and also as a live viewer. Some Chinese dashcams which are part of some other devices, like rear view mirrors, also let you insert a SIM card. These have the capability to stream live videos to you when the car is parked provided it is hard wired and the car is in a place where mobile signals are available.

Some have in built GPS, some don't. You may choose to have a time/date/gps location/speed stamp on your video. You can also disable the GPS feature.

Some dashcams have dual cameras. Meaning one camera to record in the forward direction and one to record in the rear direction. The rear direction could either be a cabin view or a view out your rear windshield depending on whether the second cam is part of the main unit or a wired external camera.

Other features/specifications that you should look at are wide angle lens, camera resolution, night vision capability, ADAS (lane departure, collision warning) etc.

Now that most of the features in a dashcam have been listed, you can decide what you need. It is easier to get a dashcam on line. Amazon has a decent range of dashcams. There are other websites dedicated to dashcams but their authenticity in these tough times may be a question mark.
SCORPION is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 15:08   #2988
Senior - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Can't stress on that enough. All Indian cars should have Dashcam in-built. Crime is all around us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I sincerely urge all BHPians to get this life saver.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 15:44   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Brilliant thank you. This clarifies a lot of things.

I think it should mods permitting stand alone as a fresh post, Dash cam 101 or Dash cam faq something like under.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 18:36   #2990
BHPian

Hello BHPians,
My brother recently bought the 70mai dashcam along with the GPS module for his Figo. We have setup the dashcam and it works perfectly but the issue is that we are using the 12v socket to power the camera but the 12v socket in his Figo is always live, that is it always have power even when the car is switched off and there is no key, so the dashcam keeps continuously recording. Do you guys have any solution?

Also, I want to get a dashcam for my Father but he wants one which has both front and rear recording. Please suggest one.
Also, is it safe to order from Aliexpress now, keeping in mind the Covid and Border situation?

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 1st July 2020 at 19:01.
Old 1st July 2020, 23:11   #2991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Hello BHPians,
We have setup the dashcam and it works perfectly but the issue is that we are using the 12v socket to power the camera but the 12v socket in his Figo is always live, that is it always have power even when the car is switched off and there is no key, so the dashcam keeps continuously recording. Do you guys have any solution?

Also, I want to get a dashcam for my Father but he wants one which has both front and rear recording. Please suggest one.
Also, is it safe to order from Aliexpress now, keeping in mind the Covid and Border situation?
The only solution I can think of is to disconnect it from the 12 V socket once you park it in the garage.

The dashcam has an inbuilt battery as well so it will start recording as soon as there is any impact.

In case you want to buy a dashcam which has front and rear cameras then Xiaomi has another model for that.

https://www.furper.com/collections/c...smart-dash-cam

This website is an Indian website which stocks them.

I never bought anything from them but have heard good reviews about the website.

An alternate option is Amazon.in which is safest of all.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 23:26   #2992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
12v socket in his Figo is always live, that is it always have power even when the car is switched off and there is no key, so the dashcam keeps continuously recording. Do you guys have any solution?
My friend, who drives a Ford Ecosport is using a 12V socket splitter with switches, which allows him to switch off the dashcam power.

Last edited by airbus : 1st July 2020 at 23:28.
Old 1st July 2020, 23:39   #2993
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,
My brother recently bought the 70mai dashcam along with the GPS module for his Figo. We have setup the dashcam and it works perfectly but the issue is that we are using the 12v socket to power the camera but the 12v socket in his Figo is always live, that is it always have power even when the car is switched off and there is no key, so the dashcam keeps continuously recording. Do you guys have any solution?
If yours is a pre-facelift next-gen Figo, then you can use a setup similar to mine-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4659887
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:32   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
The only solution I can think of is to disconnect it from the 12 V socket once you park it in the garage.

In case you want to buy a dashcam which has front and rear cameras then Xiaomi has another model for that.

https://www.furper.com/collections/c...smart-dash-cam

This website is an Indian website which stocks them.
Yes, that is what we have been doing as of now.
Thanks for the site but it looks very confusing and cluttered and I couldn't find front and rear camera listings

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
My friend, who drives a Ford Ecosport is using a 12V socket splitter with switches, which allows him to switch off the dashcam power.
Will consider this, will the dealership be willing to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
If yours is a pre-facelift next-gen Figo, then you can use a setup similar to mine-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4659887
Yes, we have the same Figo as yours, connecting it to the USB port in the dock will work but the wire then dangles in air. Routing it through the A pillar was a cleaner solution. Thank you though
Old 2nd July 2020, 23:44   #2995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will consider this, will the dealership be willing to do this?
You will not need to visit a workshop to install this. It is a simple do it yourself device. Representative image is given below.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-cs.jpg
Old 6th July 2020, 10:56   #2996
BHPian

Hey guys, Is there any dash cam out there which are made in India? Any budget ones? I am planning to buy one but seems no Indian manufacturer has come up with one yet.
Old 6th July 2020, 11:45   #2997
BHPian

Quote:
Do you guys have any solution?

For the power issue, you can get a hard wire kit. Find a fuse in the passenger compartment that goes off with ignition. The hardwire kit will include a fuse tap. Ensure the fuse tap matches the fuse type in your car. So check before ordering. Alternatively, you can strip a long section of wire and wrap it around the correct leg (meaning, the fuse should be part of the circuit and should work as required - you will need a multimeter or a fuse checker to determine the correct leg). This way, you need not worry about the type of fuse tap. You will still need the hardwire kit to step down the voltage from 12v to about 5v (usually) for your dashcam. This way, the dashcam will work without you having switch it ON or OFF manually. The ignition switch will take care of that. Ideally that is how a dashcam should work because it shouldn't be that you forgot to switch it on just when you needed it the most. Defeats the whole purpose, IMO. As an added benefit, you have your 12v socket free for other purposes. See below link for such a kit:

https://www.amazon.in/Blueskysea-Uni...e%2C292&sr=1-8

For dashcams with dual cams, check on Amazon.in. There are a few. This is one example:

https://www.amazon.in/Crosstour-Dash...lectric%3ADash

AliExpress may not be too reliable now unless you pay for shipping through DHL or something. But the cost of shipping through DHL takes the final price through the roof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Hey guys, Is there any dash cam out there which are made in India? Any budget ones? I am planning to buy one but seems no Indian manufacturer has come up with one yet.
Kent CamEye is the only one I can think of. In all probability it is made in China too. It is expensive, but I think a good buy. It is more than just a dashcam
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 23:34   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
..you can decide what you need. It is easier to get a dashcam online..
Can you please help me with a front & rear dashcam? I would prefer to hardwire it for neatness, with wifi, GPS and around 8-10k. Would not mind having the live streaming feature too but can do without. I just discovered a dent along with a deep gouge on my six month old car and im going mad right now
Old 18th July 2020, 21:02   #2999
BHPian

Ddpai mini 3 for 1770/- (with tax). Bought one. 🙂

https://nicecart101.myshopify.com/pr...king-monitor-1
Old 18th July 2020, 21:31   #3000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Ddpai mini 3 for 1770/- (with tax). Bought one. 🙂
This is even cheaper than prices mentioned in Aliexpress.com & I just hope it's a valid / genuine site.

Please update once you receive and install the product.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks