Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 12:15   #3286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus1134 View Post
I was planning to install a dashcam in my car, and one feature that is mandatory to me is parking monitoring. From what I can see, most cheaper dashcams such as 70mai do not have a built in battery for this purpose. They are to be hard wired to the car electronics in order to be powered when the car is off.
70mai LITE/PRO dashcams come with a small built-in battery. They have a G-Sensor and the camera begins recording the moment it senses a bump to the car. The sensitivity is good and the on-demand parking surveillance recording works good. I have it in both my cars. (I have since disabled the feature since my cars are covered up round the clock when parked. But it works.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus1134 View Post
But if the car is to be left outside in blazing hot areas with direct sunlight (where even holding the steering becomes impossible), isn't the dashcam with a battery put on the windshield with no sunlight protection whatsoever + the heating cabin, going to be a safety risk in some way?
A valid concern indeed. I never thought much about it. I have been using it since an year now with built-in LiIon batteries. Both cars are generally under mid-day Sun for around 3 hours a day. Haven't had any issues as such. I think the Li-Ion batteries have a safe operating temperature upto 55C odd. The in-cabin temperature under the Sun I think averages around 50-55C at various points of the cabin. (I know can be much hotter in some areas in summers.) So it should be OK in most cases.

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th December 2020 at 12:18.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 13:06   #3287
Senior - BHPian

I had picked up a ROAV from Landmark Store at a clearance price of Rs 3000 (Included card). Even this has an amazingly sensitive sensor (with Battery backup), and gives 2-3 recording daily on emergency mode. So I was under the impression that every set-up will have this feature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
70mai LITE/PRO dashcams come with a small built-in battery. They have a G-Sensor and the camera begins recording the moment it senses a bump to the car. The sensitivity is good and the on-demand parking surveillance recording works good. I have it in both my cars. (I have since disabled the feature since my cars are covered up round the clock when parked. But it works.)
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 20:56   #3288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
70mai LITE/PRO dashcams come with a small built-in battery.
If you are using this can you confirm,

Does it also utilize the car battery for parking surveillance?

Also, is there an option to switch off the display (but continue recording while driving)?
Old 12th December 2020, 21:03   #3289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
If you are using this can you confirm,
Does it also utilize the car battery for parking surveillance?
No not car battery. Unless you hard-wire it specifically to a fuse that is "always-ON" - it will not use car battery. It has a small built-in Li-Ion battery. It will use only that. Recording starts only when a g-shock is sensed. Otherwise the camera is in sleep mode for quick start. Battery life is quite good. Lasts for more than a week for me without car start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Also, is there an option to switch off the display (but continue recording while driving)?
Absolutely. The screen in fact has an auto-off (unless you turn this feature off). By default it has a timeout of few seconds & display turns off. This is good since otherwise its a distraction during night driving. There is a physical button to turn the display ON/OFF on demand also.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 12:54   #3290
BHPian

Got my Ding-Ding Pai (DDPAI) MOLA N3 kit today! The welcome message was "Hello Ding Ding Pai" ;-)

The installation was easy on my car (Ford Ecosport). As the Fastag sticker is just at the centre, had to install it a little bit left. The unit is well hidden at back of the rear-view mirror and hence doesn't obstruct any visibility of the driver.

The kit contains all these plus the charger unit (forgot to include that in the pic)

I have put a new 64GB Class 10 Sandik micro-SD card. It took less than 15 seconds to initialise it.

Initial configuration did not take much time as well.

TIP! : It is better to do all these with your car parked in a open ground, so that you have good front visibility and fix the camera adjusting the horizon correctly while you paste it on the windscreen. Once you put it there, re-adjusting would be hugely difficult.

I will update once again after a few days' of run and see who the whole thing shapes up!
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-ae9a02eb490f4fa6a2149af845649fcd_4_5005_c.jpeg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-c239a31b4d244e529923dcfaac00322e_1_201_a.jpeg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-c87520d9671a4b4d9a4a861e87cb707c_1_201_a.jpeg  

basuk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 13:40   #3291
BHPian

I am not able to fix my Dashcam. Fed up of these double sided tapes. Even 3M has failed me. I won't dare touch feviquik in any case.
Experts, please guide me which double sided tape is the best.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20201213_133243.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20201213_133223.jpg  

Old 13th December 2020, 14:42   #3292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
I am not able to fix my Dashcam. Fed up of these double sided tapes. Even 3M has failed me. I won't dare touch feviquik in any case.
Which cam is this? unable to see the second pic and there is a reflection of the tree.

these double-sided tapes are weak and will withstand neither the heat nor the vibration/jerks of the car.
You need to get more robust 3M double-sided stickers, specific for such work.
basuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 15:57   #3293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Same here. I have given up. What I am yet to explore is installing earlier version via APK route. Let me try that today, else will have to get a new one.
Confirming that this works. Here's the link to the N-1 version.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 21:42   #3294
BHPian

Quote:
I have used these 3M double sided tape for fixing my 70mai dashcam and it handles the weight and the heat well.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20201213_213416_bokeh.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20201213_213605.jpg  

D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 22:15   #3295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ro@dSt@r View Post
I have used these 3M double sided tape for fixing my 70mai dashcam and it handles the weight and the heat well.
Plus one to this particular product if you will be using double sided tapes. This particular 3M tape is really good and should easily withstand the heat and weight. Else get a suction mount.

Regards.
Old 13th December 2020, 22:48   #3296
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a code for that tape? I suspect that 3M might make many that look much the same. It is what it says on the pack that matters.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 22:56   #3297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuk View Post
Which cam is this? unable to see the second pic and there is a reflection of the tree.

these double-sided tapes are weak and will withstand neither the heat nor the vibration/jerks of the car.
You need to get more robust 3M double-sided stickers, specific for such work.
Thanks for the quick reply.
This is a dashcam from a not so popular brand called NSV. My vehicle's previous owner had installed this. The dashcam isn't user friendly at all. Will share a short review soon with better pictures of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ro@dSt@r View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Plus one to this particular product if you will be using double sided tapes. This particular 3M tape is really good and should easily withstand the heat and weight. Else get a suction mount.

Regards.
A product I had purchased from Amazon failed miserably.

Please help me with the link of suggested product as many such tapes are available out there on Amazon. A heartfelt thanks for guidance.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th December 2020 at 04:15. Reason: Image posted in subsequent post
Old 13th December 2020, 23:03   #3298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is there a code for that tape? I suspect that 3M might make many that look much the same. It is what it says on the pack that matters.
Quote:

Please help me with the link of suggested product as many such tapes are available out there on Amazon. A heartfelt thanks for guidance.
I got it from amazon. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.in/Scotch-Double-.../dp/B00N1U9AJS

Got a couple of them around 1.5 years back and it’s really good.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 13th December 2020 at 23:31.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 05:37   #3299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I got it from amazon. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.in/Scotch-Double-.../dp/B00N1U9AJS

Got a couple of them around 1.5 years back and it’s really good.

Regards.
Thanks for the link. Interestingly, this is the same product I had purchased. You can check out my screenshot of Amazon app. In my case, It didn't fulfill my requirement even by 5%. Talk about quality control!
I think I need to check out the expensive versions of 3M double sided tape. But their price is sky-high for just a tape.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_20201214_052211.jpg  

Old 14th December 2020, 10:02   #3300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Interestingly, this is the same product I had purchased. You can check out my screenshot of Amazon app. In my case, It didn't fulfill my requirement even by 5%. Talk about quality control!
I think I need to check out the expensive versions of 3M double sided tape. But their price is sky-high for just a tape.
Is it the same tape that you’re using in the picture posted? Asking because this tape is grey in colour and the one you’ve posted with which the Dashcam is stuck is creamish yellow.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks