Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 20:45   #3346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Hi Reinhard - Does A500 have a backup battery? Dont know why, but cannot locate the size and other details on the website.
Hey Blackjack, yes it has the typical small backup Li-Po battery like the Lite and Pro models. I think 500mAh or so. Good enough for standby parking surveillance, based on G shocks. Lasts for 2-3 days generally. Of course, not good if you want round the clock recording - Then hardwiring would be needed.

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th January 2021 at 21:09.
Old 8th January 2021, 15:44   #3347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuk View Post
This is my second post on Ding-Ding Pai (DDPAI) MOLA N3!

It was installed just 24 hrs back. it was connected to my CL point and was 'on' the whole night.
This is my third post on Ding-Ding Pai (DDPAI) MOLA N3 after using it for 20 days and having it with me on a 1740 km tour to Dooars.

My primary intention was to record my journeys through the dashcam. Yes, it would also record any unfortunate events of accidents, but my primary intention was not that only.

I have put a 64GB Memory card in the DDPAI. So, with that capacity, it can store around 9 hours of continuous recording and then starts overwriting the oldest files.
As you know, DDPAI creates files for every single minute of recording which takes up around 104.9 MB in 1080P resolution. Higher the resolution, bigger the files and shorter the duration of the overall recording.

So, if I drive for more than 9 hours, the initial recordings would start getting overwritten.
One way to solve this problem is to put in a 128GB memory card - so it is okay for at least 18 hours or so!

However, the bigger question is, how do you copy or download the files (mp4 files) from DDPAI into any other storage device, like PC/Laptop or External storage device?

One option is to take the memory card out and copy the files into another storage (PC/laptop, external hard drive). This can be done by (1) pulling the memory card out from the device while it is attached to the windshield or (2) detach the device from the hook and then peacefully take the memory card out.

Both of these processes are delicate in nature and cannot be done every day! And this is the challenge! A big challenge.

Furthermore, while it is easy to copy the mp4 files into any other device, you lose GPS information, including direction, speed, elevation etc.
Additionally, you also need to stitch all the 1-min videos to make a larger video and eventually store all these files.
(I actually had to buy a 1TB external HDD to store all these mp4 files!)

So, while the initial thought of buying a dashcam with GPS unit was very fascinating, in real life it did not turn out to be so encouraging. :-)

I believe this is true for other dashcams as well and nothing specific to DDPAI!

Regards,

~/KB
basuk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 19:08   #3348
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
Ding-Ding Pai (DDPAI) MOLA N3

how do you copy or download the files (mp4 files) from DDPAI into any other storage device.
Even I am looking for a dashcam and DDPAI MOLA N3 looks promising and seems to be available on Amazon.

By the way, as per the product feature, there is another way to extract the video clips, that's through DDPAI App using Wi-Fi. Haven't you tried this option?
Old 8th January 2021, 20:15   #3349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
...there is another way to extract the video clips, that's through DDPAI App using Wi-Fi...
Yes, you can connect to the dashcam using the mobile app over Wifi and it shows videos of current and the past. You can download the files, it shows the list of files. These files are all 1-min video files.. so for each one hour, you have to download 60 files one by one, which would be around 6.3GB. Also, the mobile phone has to have that much free space to accommodate the files.

However, in all other aspects DDPAI is a great dashcam and I am pretty happy with its performance.
basuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 01:26   #3350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
From which part of the mount is it becoming loose? Any pictures?
This below is the GPS module and the 70mai Dash cam Pro.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-gps.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-dashcam.jpg

This GPS module is fixed to the windshield with electrostatic sticker. The troughs on each side are where the dash cam is inserted. The dash cam has ridges which slide into the slot and held tight. The four pins in both the module provide the contact between GPS module and Dash cam.

Initially the fit is tight and contact is fine. I think because of the dash cam weight it sags slightly during running, which causes issues with the contact and GPS module does not function. The video recording is done without any issues. By slightly shaking the dash cam the GPS will work again for some time.

One Team BHP member had said that he had used glue between the GPS module and Dash cam which solved the problem. I have not tried it.

This issue is not there in A800 and A500 as they have inbuilt GPS module
AshBabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 10:12   #3351
BHPian

Quote:
This is my third post on Ding-Ding Pai (DDPAI) MOLA N3 after using it for 20 days..
Hi KB, many thanks for the review! Since the A800 is almost always out of stock stumbled upon this product and now your review. Have three questions for you- A) Is there an option to attach the rear cam? B) Im guessing there is no screen, is that a decisive matter? and finally C) I intend to put it flush behind the rear view mirror, will it be okay to do so space and aesthetics wise?
Old 10th January 2021, 16:10   #3352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam.dino View Post
A) Is there an option to attach the rear cam?
B) Im guessing there is no screen, is that a decisive matter? and finally
C) I intend to put it flush behind the rear view mirror, will it be okay to do so space and aesthetics wise?
A) Per my understanding, DDPAI has models that support both front and rear cam. You may check other models as well.

B) A dashcam without a small screen is not an issue as it connects with the mobile phone and offers better flexibility and touch-based UI.

C) You may try to fit the dashcam at the back of the rear-view mirror. However, it may depend on the car and its model as well as the dashcam size etc for the necessary space. For this specific dashcam (DDPAI MOLA N3), it may be okay.

Regards,

~/KB
basuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 20:28   #3353
BHPian

Got Thinkware U1000-2 channel, 4K dash cam from Singapore dealer through ebay.com. When Amazon US not delivering everything to India and my US tours not coming up soon, was looking for alternatives and after lot of search narrowed down on this dealer.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-6fa8b70c9700419cae0aceae6ad83d4d.jpeg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-7ed3e78d5ac7402395367b28aeacf68a.jpeg

Will install them in my Ford Endeavour. Need to take out Blackvue DR750S-2CH first, which was already doing a great job. It was more of a impulse buying. Will be listing Blackvue for sale on our classifieds section soon.

Those who are looking for 70mai A800 please do not hesitate and buy from ebay.com and look for this Singapore dealer- Carnected. Good discount and free DHL express delivery but you need to pay around 43% custom +GST. I ordered on 12th Jan and got delivered today, faster than Amazon prime. Packaging is good but still need to run it.

Last edited by Wanderers : 15th January 2021 at 20:30.
Wanderers is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 11:43   #3354
BHPian

Folks, I am going to pick a dashcam soon and looking for a basic one.
I have shortlisted DDPAI Mini (~Rs3500) and DDPAI Mola N3 (~Rs5200).
The major difference I see between these two is the video quality. Mini is 1K and N3 is 2K.
I am not too worried about the video quality. I might view the video only if there is a an unfortunate event.
So my question is: Is 1K video quality good enough to read the number plates of the traffic ahead in not so bright conditions or I need a 2K one?
papr23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 15:40   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Folks, I am going to pick a dashcam soon and looking for a basic one.

So my question is: Is 1K video quality good enough to read the number plates of the traffic ahead
This is million dollar question. Believe me even my 4K dash cam cannot guarantee reading all number plates as it depends on lot other things. In general, you should go for at least full HD dash cam and ddpai and 70mai are good for that. Don't forget to use good memory card, Samsung evo plus is recommended as budget sd card.
Wanderers is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 15:12   #3356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Planning to buy this for my XC60, costing 16.5k with the hard wiring kit.

Anyway, would love to hear your experience with the a800 so far.
After using the A800 for a couple of weeks, here are my observations so far -

1. There is no proper wiring info available in the box. The store I took the dashcam for installation did a professional job. Took quite a while to figure it out. The way it is currently hardwired - turn on/off in ACC mode from the ignition. Camera will record as long as ACC mode is on and stop when car is off. However, if you press the power button when the ignition is off, the dashcam will still record and will continue recording till you manually switch if off again by long-pressing the power button on the camera (parking mode recording) I am okay with this implementation as it serves my need.

2. Have parked the car in the sun for hours. The camera did not get as hot as expected (I was worried since it has a battery inside and is not capacitor powered) Does not get too hot during normal operation either.

3. Mobile app is easy to use. Has access to settings and you can download the videos/pics from it.

4. Video Quality
  • Front Cam - Video quality is very good in daylight. There is a drop in quality at night, but it is still good enough to see the number plates etc. GPS co-ordinates, speed indication is working as expected. Dashboard reflection on the windscreen is pretty evident in the captured video. Need to figure out some way to reduce this.
  • Rear Cam - Decent video quality in daylight (but still noticeably lower than the front) Pretty useless at night. The glare from the headlights of vehicles behind you completely distorts the image. Unless the vehicles are in adjacent lanes and there is nothing immediately behind you, the video quality is pretty poor. I don't know if there are settings to overcome this, have not had time to look around much. Left it as it is, since I believe something is better than nothing

5. ADAS - turned off. Don't expect I will use it ever.
shreyascashyap is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 23:14   #3357
BHPian

I am looking for a dash cam for my S- Cross zeta AT (2020). I want a dash cam that integrates itself with the android auto Enabled system.

Welcoming suggestions.

Regards,
RaviCar
Old 23rd January 2021, 00:06   #3358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviCar View Post
I am looking for a dash cam for my S- Cross zeta AT (2020). I want a dash cam that integrates itself with the android auto Enabled system.
Regards,
RaviCar
Can you please elaborate on your exact use case of integrating dashcam with AA?
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:21   #3359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
So finally I took my Roav C1 out! I think its one of the nicest looking Dashcams in the market. The contours are hugging the curves of the glass pretty well. It fixes directly to the windshield using a very powerful 3M double sided tape (suction cups don't last a season as I found out last time). Looks very discrete, and the size is just about right (as opposed to my older Transcend 220). The lens can be moved up and down in four steps. Came with a very high quality Anker 'dual USB' adapter. Controls are all easy (reassuringly beeps), and wifi loads well with all the videos in my iPhone. Love its 'parking-impact emergency record' feature. When it's 'ON' there is a chime alert, ruling out any second guessing. Quality at 1080P is decent, can zoom into number plates (But I'd go for a new/better 4K model in Jan 2021). Price: Rs. 3100. Picked up a Samsung Pro Endurance, Class 10, 64 GB (which is surveillance grade). This will safely record a video/s for 640 minutes. Price: Rs 1,800. Registered the serial number with Samsung (to check its authenticity, and warranty), inserted it in, and I'm all set. Pretty happy with this duo.
Hi Sebring
I just enquired about the price at Sachins and they were quoting 9K for the Roav C1, is the 3100 price you quoted correct ? could you please PM me the place you bought it from Amazon prices shows 10K
Old 23rd January 2021, 22:17   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Landmark at ORION mall was having a sale, and a TBHPian had alerted us to that incredible pricing. And yes, that's what I paid. After me, two other TBHPians purchased for same price. This I came to know when the shopkeeper called me later to check if the memory card was inside. I was just plain lucky that day
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvictor View Post
I just enquired about the price at Sachins and they were quoting 9K for the Roav C1, is the 3100 price you quoted correct ? could you please PM me the place you bought it from Amazon prices shows 10K
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed