Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2021, 12:34   #3406
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmen View Post
hi the cockpit looks very cool, I want to install in my Tucson, will it void warranty if I tap power from OBD2 port!!
Not at all. You're not tampering with anything if you do that. It is done by simply inserting two probes into two of the sockets in the OBD2 port.

Name:  OBD2ConnectorPinout.png
Views: 4039
Size:  26.4 KB

I tap from pin #16 and #4. It is always live, so I can use it for parking mode too.

Fuse taps may be classified as tampering - if the A.S.S. really wants to deny a warranty claim. But this, I don't think so - you can disconnect it anytime as you wish.

Here's my wiring diagram. I think it is a unique take at hot wiring the dashcam - has anyone tried this at all? By this, you can achieve hard(and hot) wiring with zero tamperings to the car's electrical system.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-dashcam.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 13th April 2021 at 12:49.
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 15:47   #3407
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Not at all. You're not tampering with anything if you do that. It is done by simply inserting two probes into two of the sockets in the OBD2 port.
Rather than inserting a probe in the pins of the OBD II port, get a 16 Pin J1962 OBD2 OBD-II Male Connector to Open Plug Wire

Quote:
I want to install in my Tucson, will it void warranty if I tap power from OBD2 port!!
I get the thought but is there anything wrong in using the fuse box in the passenger compartment and hardwiring the dashcam to the fuse that works only when ignition is ON and turns off the moment the ignition is turned off?!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 13:13   #3408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Rather than inserting a probe in the pins of the OBD II port, get a 16 Pin J1962 OBD2 OBD-II Male Connector to Open Plug Wire
This was my first idea and I went ahead an bought one of these, only to find out that I cannot close my fuse box's lid if I had this plugged into the OBD2 port. So this may not work well for all cars. The one I bought was in fact a more compact one from Ali Express but even that protruded a bit, preventing the lid from closing properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I get the thought but is there anything wrong in using the fuse box in the passenger compartment and hardwiring the dashcam to the fuse that works only when ignition is ON and turns off the moment the ignition is turned off?!
Nothing wrong in tapping a fuse but I would prefer to tap it from a fuse or some point that's always live with 12 volts - because I want the dashcam to continue recording for hours when I park the car somewhere outside.

Last edited by clevermax : 14th April 2021 at 13:15.
Old 19th April 2021, 09:57   #3409

Quote:
Hi I am contemplating to buy a dashcam for my Tucson (to be delivered soon). I am concerned whether it will void warranty. Tucson comes with Wonder Warranty, I shall be taking the 5 year option. I am looking for recommendation on ADAS based, front/back models however concerned about whether rear camera will be wired? void warranty? 70mai and DDPAI are the ones I found with good ratings.

I have been using a dashcam I bought from UK however the challenge I face that after over 3 years of use the vacuum lock does not work well and when parked in Sun, after I come back, find it fallen on the dash. There is no way to get another one as it is a proprietary slot integrated with the windscreen vacuum lock.

Thanks in advance.
Congratulations on your new car! Hardwiring in to a fuse doesnt void warranty, or at least I couldnt find dashcam hardwiring voiding warranty on this forum. Hardwire both front and back in to the horn fuse located in the engine compartment in Tucson.

If you do park under direct sunlight, then make sure you go for a holder that can be fixed to the rear view mirror instead of a suction cup or double sided tape. Hopefully that should take care of it
MMinor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 11:43   #3410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMinor View Post
go for a holder that can be fixed to the rear view mirror instead of a suction cup or double sided tape.
Do you have any recommendations for this type of holder (say Amazon link)? I couldn't find any that fixes to IRVM.
Old 19th April 2021, 13:31   #3411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Do you have any recommendations for this type of holder (say Amazon link)? I couldn't find any that fixes to IRVM.
I bought a holder that can be fixed on IRVM however that is for holding mobiles and are not suitable for holding dashcams. I have tried doing that as the form factor of dash cams are much smaller than mobiles.
Old 19th April 2021, 13:57   #3412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monish_m View Post
Any feedback on the ADAS features on the 70mai A500, believe they advertise it supports collision alerts and lane departure alerts.

Thanks.
I use a 70mai camera with GPS and ADAS.
After the first few days and a couple of highway runs, I disabled the feature. The warnings get a bit too much in our traffic conditions. It's a dumb system that will start every time you pull your car out for an overtake maneuver (lane warnings) and in bumper to bumper to traffic (collision warning). I felt these features are more useful for expressway driving.
Hope this helps!
viper_711 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:02   #3413
BHPian

mounting a mobile phone as a dashcam to the rear view mirror

I'm planning on mounting a mobile phone as a dashcam to the rear view mirror. Could this be perceived as meant for entertainment and attract the authorities' attention ?

Anyone else done it. Your views please.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-51kulrrzul._ac_.jpg  

Last edited by vinu_h : 23rd April 2021 at 16:07. Reason: Added photo
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 08:51   #3414
BHPian

Hi All, just wondering if the dashcams such as ddpai and 70mai can be used on motorcycles by powering them through a powerbank.
For ex. I keep the powerbank in my tank bag and connect it to the phone on the handlebar for gmaps.
Thmh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 22:33   #3415
BHPian

Re: mounting a mobile phone as a dashcam to the rear view mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I'm planning on mounting a mobile phone as a dashcam to the rear view mirror. Could this be perceived as meant for entertainment and attract the authorities' attention ?

Anyone else done it. Your views please.
Hi, using mobile as dashcam may not be smart as you will end up filling up lots of memory space in your mobile, dashcam comes with feature of deleting the old recordings and replacing with the fresh one as FIFO mode and manage the memory card space. Not sure you can achieve the same in mobile as mobile space not dedicated to the recording only. Another downside I see is reducing the battery life of your mobile. Instead you should go for a proper dashcam only.

Having said that I use this mobile holder in car, it has a practical design and very useful while I put google map for my driving directions. Thanks.

Last edited by Dharmen : 25th April 2021 at 23:01. Reason: reworded
Old 25th April 2021, 22:38   #3416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmh View Post
Hi All, just wondering if the dashcams such as ddpai and 70mai can be used on motorcycles by powering them through a powerbank.
For ex. I keep the powerbank in my tank bag and connect it to the phone on the handlebar for gmaps.
Certainly not. The dashcams are designed to be used inside the car. They are not designed for extreme climate (water and dust) a bike is exposed to, at least the ddpai and 70mai dashcams. Further more you will have to unmount and take the the dashcam along with you every time you park your bike. The helmet mounted action cameras are best suited for bikes; you may mount it on your bike and power it with your power bank if you like.
Regards

Last edited by bravo82in : 25th April 2021 at 22:40. Reason: typo
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 07:39   #3417
BHPian

Re: mounting a mobile phone as a dashcam to the rear view mirror

Quote:
Hi, using mobile as dashcam may not be smart as you will end up filling up lots of memory space in your mobile, dashcam comes with feature of deleting the old recordings and replacing with the fresh one as FIFO mode and manage the memory card space. Not sure you can achieve the same in mobile as mobile space not dedicated to the recording only. Another downside I see is reducing the battery life of your mobile. Instead you should go for a proper dashcam only.
I have several spare phones at home and I also own a dashcam. The major benefit with a mobile phone is it's battery, meaning no need to keep it wired. Apps like Autoboy take care of storage.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 11:41   #3418
BHPian

Hello,
I need dashcam advice with 2 peculiarities :
1. Should survive UAE's temperatures.
2. Some adas features like warnings
Vehicle is Land Cruiser
Currently shortlisted this model but would request inputs from the community here.

https://www.amazon.ae/dp/B083KV8LRC/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you.
Old 29th April 2021, 19:34   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Was going through the reviews of a Wirelesss IP Camera on an ecommerce website, was astounded by the creativity of an individual when he used a IP65 rated surveillance camera as a dash camera. Although he rated it as poor for the picture quality not being as clear as expected.

What say? Ain't it a bad idea esp. when priced under Rs.2.5k ? Had he used a camera with lesser field of vision as compared to home security cameras, it might probably have doubled up as a dash camera without GPS though.

Edit: Even found a YT video of someone experimenting the same

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 29th April 2021 at 19:38.
Old 30th April 2021, 17:05   #3420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Hello,
I need dashcam advice with 2 peculiarities :
1. Should survive UAE's temperatures.

https://www.amazon.ae/dp/B083KV8LRC/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
My impractical solution would be, if you are going to park under direct sun, disconnect the cam and take it with you. I have a 70mai cam and it has a small inbuilt battery. I am not sure whether it can withstand such extreme temperature. You don't want your car to catch fire.

Quote from a Google search

"Cause for Explosion
Lithium-ion batteries can be damaged by excessive storage heat of over 60 degrees Celsius, overcharging, manufacturing defects, and product tampering. The explosion occurs when the battery is subjected to substantial overheating, though the battery will typically rupture as opposed to igniting."

Last edited by amvj : 30th April 2021 at 17:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks