Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 14:12   #3511
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit162 View Post
Thanks for sharing.Though I had already placed an order after receiving the footage shared by you.
Initially, I was slightly apprehensive about the cam’s inability to read the registration plates of passing car, as you had also commented.Then, I chanced upon some videos of 70Mai Pro Plus+.The results there were very similar to your videos in Youtube, where the number plates of some cars could be read.
Thanks to your videos as well as to JithinR and Wanderers for their subsequent posts, my fears have been dispelled!
All in all, I think, DDPAI Z40 is a good buy also considering that it uses a super capacitor which is considered safer, instead of Lithium battery. But one thing I have noticed is that their Amazon page mentions “Z40 will not support ADAS feature in India”. This is not mentioned anywhere in the Nexdigitron site. There appears to be no such issue with 70Mai Pro Plus + A500S !

ADAS is more of a gimmick feature introduced by these Chinese dashcam companies. It gets very annoying after initial excitement of having this feature fades. In India it is not very accurate and it is better to turn it off.
mercedised is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 00:07   #3512
BHPian

Update: I checked the YouTube videos of DDPAI Z40 dash cam in a 43 inch screen size TV. The videos look good. Car numberplates at lower speeds (<30 kmph) were visible. If the YouTube quality (compressed) of the videos is good enough, I pressume the original resolution videos would be better.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 15:53   #3513
BHPian

I finally took the plunge and got myself a DDPAI MOLA N3 dash camera. The reference was given by fellow bhpian sinharishi.

I paid 4950/- including all discounts on amazon prime day. It was delivered in a day.

Took an hour to install and setup. Actually would have taken less time but I kept trying unsuccessfully to hide the wire behind the A pillar passenger trim . I have tucked the wire inside now and extra wire is inside the glove box.

I'll neatly put it once I take it to SC next month for my scheduled service.

Unboxing
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-unboxing.jpeg

Wire showing from the side trim. Once the door is shut its not much visible
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-door-wire.jpg

CL port connection used. It automatically shuts when the car shuts. But I remove the charger to avoid any headaches
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-c-wire.jpg

Driver view. I sit high in my Scross and it's obstructing my view very little. For lower seat height adjust it'll be negligible
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-driver-view.jpg

All installation instructions are crisp and clear in the User Manual. Its basically few steps as follows:
1. Stick mount
2. Plug in cam
3. Connect wire to cam and power socket
And done

Use wifi to connect to the dashcam using DDPAI app. Its seamless in my phone but have read about lags in other's posts. Capture for photo. Every video is 1 min in length and is stored in the memory card. I have set it to 1080p resolution, which is enough. I can increase it to 2k (1600p), which will use up more space. It follows FIFO to replace older videos with new. Any time you can download a video to your phone, if you want a local copy. But you need to keep the camera on to do that. Otherwise you can always remove the memory card and take backup on your PC.

I haven't added a video here as there are many MOLA N3 videos in this thread. Just wanted to document this for anyone's reference. Currently I have set it to 1080p and mic off.

Cheers,
Shreyas
DieselAnna is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 18:24   #3514
BHPian

Hey Guys, absolute novice in this area of dash cams, so some very basic questions,

1- What is the essential difference between a DDPAI Mola 3 and a DDPAI mini, I only see some GPS functionality in the Mola 3 not in the mini. Is a GPS really that important from a dash cam perspective?

2 - Is the DDPAI A2 a good buy?

Do I need a rear view cam also?

Edit - what is the best option in the Rs 4,000-5,000 range? Am looking for basic functionality of recording videos to safeguard my interests in case of any dings.

Last edited by Stribog : 3rd August 2021 at 18:25.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 23:48   #3515
BHPian

The interesting story of the Indian start up Safe Cams:

'Growing up in Johannesburg, South Africa, Chetna Naidoo was used to driving in non-chaotic conditions. A well-organised road network and structured traffic was something she always took for granted.

However, in 2017, when she moved to Pune, India, along with her husband Vanesh Naidoo and two young children, she was in for a rude surprise. The unpredictable traffic conditions and a personal incident affected her to such an extent that it propelled her to do something about it.

And even as Chetna was getting a grip on her new life in India, she decided to launch Safe Cams, a Pune-based technology company, to help reduce accidents and fatalities on roads.'

https://yourstory.com/herstory/2021/...oad-safety/amp
Old 5th August 2021, 12:31   #3516

How has your experience been so far? I'm in the market for a dual dash cam, since my car is parked on the streets, the DDPAI Z40 is one of the cams I have shortlisted.

Did you plug it via the fuse box? Did you conceal the wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
I have uploaded few videos in Youtube, actually it becomes my YouTube channel!!

I am feeling super-excited like a school kid in this mid-40's!

Here is the link:
https://Youtube.com/channel/UCQTKWYVWT2WF9v7mY4OnP4w

I am also attaching few photographs of unboxed ddpai z40 dash cam package received from Nexdigitron, and some auto captured images today. Hope these help for comparison and buying decision. I am sorry I couldn't upload the video clips in a proper way into gdrive.
Old 5th August 2021, 15:08   #3517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippen88 View Post
How has your experience been so far? I'm in the market for a dual dash cam, since my car is parked on the streets, the DDPAI Z40 is one of the cams I have shortlisted.

Did you plug it via the fuse box? Did you conceal the wiring?
Initially I was a bit skeptical about the video quality, later got convinced from the feedback of others that video quality is acceptable. I watched the video on a big screen and it looks okay for the budget.

I didn't do the hardwiring myself. It was connected to the fusebox by Nexdigitron's recommended installer "Hello Car" in Lajpat Nagar area of Delhi. However, it seems they made some goof-up. It is not recording anything in parking mode. There are options of continuous time lapse or event triggered capturing in parking mode. But I could not see anything in parking mode. Tried to simulate some events by disturbing the car, shaking it from outside etc. Didn't work.

I think I must break the ice and re-do the hardwiring by myself. There is always a first time for everyone.
Old 5th August 2021, 15:22   #3518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
It is not recording anything in parking mode. There are options of continuous time lapse or event triggered capturing in parking mode. But I could not see anything in parking mode. Tried to simulate some events by disturbing the car, shaking it from outside etc. Didn't work.

I think I must break the ice and re-do the hardwiring by myself. There is always a first time for everyone.
Do you mean that the installer forgot to connect the fuse tap for the parking mode? Or that they did do it and the camera does keep it's power on while the car is parked and it still doesn't record anything?
Old 15th August 2021, 06:05   #3519
BHPian

Hello Friends, I have 2 requirements
  1. Dashcam
  2. Rearview camera and display as my model does not have a Head Unit display.
Given this situation, I am thinking of purchasing 70Mai Pro Plus + A500S to meet these 2 requirements. I have following questions
  1. When I engage reverse camera, whether this display and camera will switch to support my requirement to take reverse. Or I need to do any manual changes
  2. How big is this 2inch display and clarity to get a view of the rear and take reverse? How well it's visible compared to a 5 inch display which might come separately or with a head unit?

Last edited by blorebuddy : 15th August 2021 at 06:07.
Old 17th August 2021, 18:35   #3520
BHPian

Installed the DDPAI mini 3 on the front.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_4578.jpg

Primarily I bought this specific dash cam for the reason below.
1. It is one of the few budget cams with capacitors powering up the unit. I didn't want to risk the chance of battery overheating and explosions.
2. Mini 3 was a decent 2k+ camera that also comes with a remote for snapshot, this is one useful thing in case you want a quick capture of the scene without opening the app.
3. Video quality was decent in reviews across websites and it is a stable firmware. It has also won awards for the best dash cam in 2018 ( although its late , I'm fine since I'm paying a lot less)
4. Didn't want a GPS for obvious reasons, don't want a dashcam to track my speed on record which in my view is a handicap. It certainly helps to prove overspeeding tickets wrong, my Honda already has a GPS tracker if needed to help me out in such situations.

1. Gives accurate videos which can be zoomed into, decent dynamic range.
2. Numbers are readable on most occasions except for high speeds.
3. Quick remote for snapshot records not only video but also captures pictures.
4. For approximately 8k, we get a decently built capacitor-based dash cam that doesn't have a LED screen. Both battery and screen are not favourable during hot summers.
5. Night time clarity is pretty decent for the price on offer.

Dislikes
1. The app on IOS is painfully slow to connect with the camera.
2. The reflections from the dashboard are quite disturbing in the daytime.

In the coming days, I plan to buy another capacitor-based dash cam for the rear side. I didn't want a dash cam that had both in a single unit because of inferior rear camera quality. Also, it is a single point of failure in case something goes wrong.
Swarup5 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:58   #3521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Hello Friends, I have 2 requirements
  1. Dashcam
  2. Rearview camera and display as my model does not have a Head Unit display.
Given this situation, I am thinking of purchasing 70Mai Pro Plus + A500S to meet these 2 requirements. I have following questions
  1. When I engage reverse camera, whether this display and camera will switch to support my requirement to take reverse. Or I need to do any manual changes
The 70MAI Pro Plus+ A500S cannot be used as a reverse camera. I’m not sure if it can be modified to do that, but the product is not designed to do that. It doesn’t know if the reverse gear is engaged or not. You have the option to toggle the camera feed between front and rear both on the unit and the mobile app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
How big is this 2inch display and clarity to get a view of the rear and take reverse? How well it's visible compared to a 5 inch display which might come separately or with a head unit?
It’s too small in my opinion, (I’ve attached a couple of photos, one taken from the driver’s seat).

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-0bf65b51baf6416c80a49b310baa2e8f.jpeg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-73cb71ecf9624063aa9e3416e594e83a.jpeg

I think it’s better to go for something like 70mai Rearview Dashcam Wide if you need reverse camera along with DVR.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 17th August 2021 at 20:16. Reason: Fixed broken formatting.
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 18:09   #3522
BHPian

Folks,

I'm looking to add a dashcam to my Sonet.

My primary requirement is 60 fps videos, wider is better, that's all. However, I do not see any active models with 60fps video capability.

I'm not sure what should be a good budget, but anything south of 10k INR should be OK. I've never purchased from overseas and would not prefer to go that route.

What are my options?

Also, is it safe to route the cable via the A-pillars, will it interfere with the way Airbags work?

Kindly let me know, thanks!

Last edited by 7000plusrpm : 18th August 2021 at 18:14.
Old 18th August 2021, 20:47   #3523

Was looking for decent dashcam for my car (Mahindra XUV500 W8) for couple of weeks but couldn't decide. Visited couple of local shops too but no luck as all were telling to purchase online and they will fix. Tried Amazon, Flipkart and many other but couldn't get clear pic hence landed at reliable place nothing other than Team-BHP and went though almost 50+ pages discussion, anyway we have more than 200+ pages discussion, and decided to purchase the much advised Xiaomi 70mai dashcam.

Today (18-Aug-2021) ordered from Nexdigitron https://www.nexdigitron.com/ :

1. 70mai A500S Pro Plus+ Dual Channel DashCam
2. 70mai Hardwire Cable Kit with 6 Pcs Fuse Tap Adapters
3. Strontium Nitro A1 128GB Micro SDHC Memory Card for DashCams

Expecting to receive on or before 23-Aug-2021. Will share pic and other details shortly.
shuk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 23:50   #3524
BHPian

I have bought a DDPAI mola N3 for my creta which is getting delivered earlier next week. Any recommendations for a shop where i can get it neatly installed in Mumbai (preferably around Powai). I do not want to try DIY as am skeptical of leaving some panels loose. Would also want a neat job not showing any wiring.
Old 20th August 2021, 13:45   #3525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
I have bought a DDPAI mola N3 for my creta which is getting delivered earlier next week. Any recommendations for a shop where i can get it neatly installed in Mumbai (preferably around Powai). I do not want to try DIY as am skeptical of leaving some panels loose. Would also want a neat job not showing any wiring.
In case you are not using a hardwiring kit, try a DIY and I am sure you will be able to do a neater job. I have done it in my Creta without opening any panels and you can make use of the tool given along with the dashcam pack to tuck in the wires. One can hardly spot any wires .

You can refer to the pics i have shared in the post -728 (Hyundai Creta : Official Review)

Last edited by D'Ro@dSt@r : 20th August 2021 at 13:47. Reason: Added few more details
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks