Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2016, 10:02   #841
BANNED

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I know it's OT here, please do post a review of sorts. Any links to the headunit you picked up? And how much did it cost you?
Below is the link to the product I bought.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...913334228.html

Don't have much to share apart from this is better than the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835, touch screen is awesome, sound quality is better till it reaches 60% after that, it sounds like its struggling. Inbuilt map is free and worth it - works without internet, app store opens door for many utilities around, OBD bluetooth provides real time engine data to the screen, Music player is basic so upgrade is must. Overall value for money product. I paid 26K something including duty of 3-4K. Don't remember the exact figure.

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2016 at 11:09. Reason: Language
Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th March 2016, 10:14   #842
rkg
Senior - BHPian

One can choose Ambarella based ones. Especially Ambarella ALA 70 models with OV 4689 sensor. These cameras come for around 70-90 USD. Shenzhen Dome products is reasonably good. I had one GS9000 model with Ambarella As270 chip. It worked very well. used it non stop for 24 hours also. Finally LIPO battery conked due to heat. I kept the dashcam always in car under hot sun.
One can easily change these batteries also. If precaution are taken. like parking in shade will help a lot. Only problem is their suction mounts are not great.

This model is with GPS from manufaturer official store @ Ali express.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...193873880.html

Last edited by rkg : 9th March 2016 at 10:17.
Old 9th March 2016, 10:52   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Parsh: how much time does this take for delivery ?

has anyone here purchased from them, any first hand experiences ?
Hi, even i have placed an order for MINI 0805 with gearbest.com. This being my first order with them, i am still keeping my fingers crosses as far as delivery is concerned.
Tracking status of my shipment shows this info.

17/02/16 10:30
Item pre-advice received
18/02/16 08:47
Item received for processing
21/02/16 02:29
Order departed on flight from origin
29/02/16 10:33
Order departed from sorting hub
07/03/16 15:21
Order received into final destination country
07/03/16 17:40
Order customs cleared and lodged with local delivery agent

i presume that the item must have already reached India and also got the customs cleared?
Old 10th March 2016, 09:38   #844
BHPian

After reading this thread, and being involved in a few near miss, decided to purchase a dashcam. I already have a YI action camera, that records in 2K resolution, so my requirement was for a cheap, functional unit. The Blaupunkt unit had decent reviews, but the price, on Snapdeal, increased from 3.6K to 4.6K almost overnight.

Saw Gearbest being mentioned above, checked the reseller ratings, and decided to give them a try. Have ordered for GT300 1080P 2.4 inch Car Dashcam Video Recorder yesterday afternoon. Opted for a tracking number and insurance, and the total came to $22.04. Was charged Rs. 1556.23 as per the sms sent by the credit card company.

They have already shipped the unit, via Netherlands post. I have ordered a lot of stuff from ebay (where the items are shipped from China/ HK), and I have usually received the same within 2-4 weeks. Keeping fingers crossed. Will post a review, once I get it and start using it.

Cheers,
Ajay
Old 10th March 2016, 12:20   #845
Team-BHP Support

I installed Street Guardian SG9665GC in my Polo GT TSi. I have documented the DIY in my Polo GT TSi thread.

As I had explained in a previous post, I had shortlisted A118C and DOD-LS460W, but then came across SG9665GC which is similar to A118C, but with better performance. I had ordered the SG9665GC due to this.

Here is a list of features where SG9665 has better spec over A118C.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-feature-comparison.jpg

Here is a sample video.

Note: The video is little compressed by YouTube. The original clips are a little sharper than the YouTube clips.

As mentioned in many reviews, the video is quite good. Many other dash cams which cost half this one have equally good daytime video. But I think this one scores in the crispness of the night time video.

There is a utility called RegistratorViewer that decodes the GPS coordinates from the video and superimposes on Google Maps. The viewer also shows realtime direction and speed of the vehicle. Here is a screenshot of the viewer. On the right side, the green arrow head shows realtime position of the car on the map. On the bottom edge, there is a speedometer that shows real time speed and a compass that shows direction of movement.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screen-shot.png

The software also allows zooming into the video frames to identify details of license plate numbers. Here are a couple of captures with full frame and the zoomed in number plates.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-full-frame-2.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-close-2.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-full-frame-3.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-close-3.png

However, number plate identification is possible only in daytime. In the night time, when the headlight shines on the number plate of the vehicle in front, the heavy light reflection results in overexposed number plate thus making it impossible to read numbers. Numbers can be read only when the headlight is not directly shining on the plate and if the vehicle in front is not too far away.

One major issue I am facing is the dash board reflection. There is a CPL filter for the camera, but it is very expensive. Have other members come across dashboard reflections in other cameras? Other than the CPL filter, is there any other way to reduce these reflections?

A few pictures.

The package
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-street-guardian-box.jpg

The contents
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-contents.jpg

How it looks from outside - quite stealthy and small. The visibility of the camera depends on the surroundings as well. In this picture, the camera is hardly visible. I have seen it to be more visible under some lighting conditions.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-look-outside.jpg

How it looks (or rather is invisible) to the driver. It is neatly hidden behind the IRVM.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-look-inside.jpg
graaja is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 16:43   #846
BHPian

I have received my MINI 0805 dashcam today. This was ordered through gearbest.com and the shipment arrived in 3 weeks after i placed my order.
Now, i need an help from fellow BHPians. I want to fix this in my car by deriving an additional power line from 12V socket (if it is possible) or by any other means through which i can have it connected always and no wires visible. I do not know anything on this, so i request any of the BHPians to help me out to achieve this. I stay in C V Raman nagar area (near Byappanahalli METRO station) and i am ready to drive my car to your place, wherever you are.

Thanks in advance.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 17:27   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I have received my MINI 0805 dashcam today. This was ordered through gearbest.com and the shipment arrived in 3 weeks after i placed my order.
Now, i need an help from fellow BHPians. I want to fix this in my car by deriving an additional power line from 12V socket (if it is possible) or by any other means through which i can have it connected always and no wires visible. I do not know anything on this, so i request any of the BHPians to help me out to achieve this. I stay in C V Raman nagar area (near Byappanahalli METRO station) and i am ready to drive my car to your place, wherever you are.

Thanks in advance.
Nice to know you got the delivery so quickly

Coming to installation you can have a look at my ownership thread here, also there are many thread on this forum where they have done this DIY on their cars. You can follow them and get it done on your own, or any accessory shop electrician should be able to do it for you, if you guide him properly how it needs to be done.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 18:06   #848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now, i need an help from fellow BHPians. I want to fix this in my car by deriving an additional power line from 12V socket (if it is possible) or by any other means through which i can have it connected always and no wires visible.
This depends on your car, location of the 12V socket and the power cable that comes with the Mini 0805. I believe Mini 0805 comes with a power supply that directly plugs into the 12V socket and a USB-Micro connector on the other side.

The simplest way to connect this would be to route the cable through the roof liner to the A pillar to the passenger side foot-well and to the 12V socket in the center console. This will be a straight DIY.

If you want to do a completely invisible wiring, then you will have to some advanced stuff like opening up the power supply and tap wires to the input of the power supply, and then run these wires to either the fuse box to tap from the ACC signal or if your car has IRVM you can also tap supply from the IRVM connector.

If you are not into DIY, then the best would be to take it to a good automobile electrician and get this fixed. But make sure that you take it to a reputed electrician for a good installation.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 18:11   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Nice to know you got the delivery so quickly

Coming to installation you can have a look at my ownership thread here, also there are many thread on this forum where they have done this DIY on their cars. You can follow them and get it done on your own, or any accessory shop electrician should be able to do it for you, if you guide him properly how it needs to be done.
I have gone through some of the DIY posts related to dashcam, just to understand how it is done. But, I am still not comfortable (and confident) doing it on my own. May be, if a person who has already done this is with me, I can definitely try it out. And I do not know any accessory shop electrician. Hence, I am requesting someone to help me out on this. I see that you are also from Bengaluru, so I am ready to drive to your place (or any other accessory shop where it needs to be done) if that is okay for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This depends on your car, location of the 12V socket and the power cable that comes with the Mini 0805. I believe Mini 0805 comes with a power supply that directly plugs into the 12V socket and a USB-Micro connector on the other side.

The simplest way to connect this would be to route the cable through the roof liner to the A pillar to the passenger side foot-well and to the 12V socket in the center console. This will be a straight DIY.

If you want to do a completely invisible wiring, then you will have to some advanced stuff like opening up the power supply and tap wires to the input of the power supply, and then run these wires to either the fuse box to tap from the ACC signal or if your car has IRVM you can also tap supply from the IRVM connector.

If you are not into DIY, then the best would be to take it to a good automobile electrician and get this fixed. But make sure that you take it to a reputed electrician for a good installation.
Okay, i will think about both the options and most probably will not go with 'complete invisible wiring'. Though I am not into DIY stuff, the way you have explained, I think it should be straight forward to channel that cable through the roof liner and then passenger side A-pillar. May be, I just need to buy a lengthier USB cable to make this happen?

Note: Moderators, Sorry for the back-to-back replies. I forgot to do Multi-Quote while replying second time.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th March 2016 at 13:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 11th March 2016, 11:26   #850
BHPian

@ Graaja :

Quote:
There is a utility called RegistratorViewer
Can you kindly provide the link to this utility.

Original developers website if down, and other mirror sites are getting flagged on antivirus
Old 11th March 2016, 11:30   #851
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
@ Graaja :

Can you kindly provide the link to this utility.

Original developers website if down, and other mirror sites are getting flagged on antivirus
Hi, the utility is available from Street Guardian support page.

Street Guardian Support

You will find Registrator Viewer under the Softwares section. It is a very small program just 1MB. There is no installation required. Just run the .exe file.

There is also another software "Dashcam Viewer" which has similar functionality. This has some limitations in the demo version and is available for $15

Dashcam Viewer

Last edited by graaja : 11th March 2016 at 11:41. Reason: Added information about Dashcam Viewer software
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 12:16   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hence, I am requesting someone to help me out on this. I see that you are also from Bengaluru, so I am ready to drive to your place (or any other accessory shop where it needs to be done) if that is okay for you.
Sure buddy I will be happy to help you. But I will be travelling and not be available this weekend and next weekend. So anytime in weekday, we can catch up some place which is good for both of us and get this done. This should not take more than 10 mins of our time, if we are connecting to the 12v socket in your car and not hard wire. For now I think we can do this.

Also can you post couple of pictures on the interiors of your car taken from back seat and the location of 12V socket, which might help us to plan the routing of wire. In fact I can guide you through the phone as well to get this done.

Last edited by fusionbang : 11th March 2016 at 12:18.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 15:47   #853
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
If you are free this week end, you can contact me and I can show you how its done in my Scorpio. This is driving from a 12V socket for both front and rear dash cam.

I stay in Whitefield so not that far for you

If interested PM me and will share my contact details
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 18:13   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Sure buddy I will be happy to help you. But I will be travelling and not be available this weekend and next weekend. So anytime in weekday, we can catch up some place which is good for both of us and get this done. This should not take more than 10 mins of our time, if we are connecting to the 12v socket in your car and not hard wire. For now I think we can do this.

Also can you post couple of pictures on the interiors of your car taken from back seat and the location of 12V socket, which might help us to plan the routing of wire. In fact I can guide you through the phone as well to get this done.
Thanks for offerig your help. If I cannot get this done through narayanang76 this weekend, then I will contact you and we can try to do it on a working day next week.
Meanwhile, please find the pictures that you had asked. Pardon me for the picture quality. If they are not useful, i will try to take it again and send it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
If you are free this week end, you can contact me and I can show you how its done in my Scorpio. This is driving from a 12V socket for both front and rear dash cam.

I stay in Whitefield so not that far for you

If interested PM me and will share my contact details
I have sent you a PM. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20160311_162742.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20160311_162749.jpg  

kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 19:29   #855
BHPian

I have ordered the following equipment that has arrived and is ready to install:
  1. A118C from Aliexpress (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...594272623.html): Cost $51, approx Rs. 3600
  2. A 32GB SanDisk microSD card from Flipkart (http://www.flipkart.com/sandisk-ultr...A5E3VAD9R8RK): Rs 750
  3. A 3 meter USB extender wire (http://www.flipkart.com/astrum-usb-2...CE5FYYM3HUZCZ8): Rs 150

Cost of all the equipment, delivered home is around Rs 4500.

I did not want to use their car charger, since it would use my power socket completely and not allow for any additional charging of mobiles etc. Hence I ordered the USB extender wire, to enable a clean install. This way, I can use a multi port car charger and continue to charge an additional phone or any other equipment.

Box of 118C:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-packing-box.jpg

Contents in the box:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-contents-box.jpg
  1. The camera/DVR
  2. Stand/Wedge, can be used to mount the camera if needed. In my case, I will not need this.
  3. Stand alone car charger with a long wire. I am not going to use this since it will eat up my car charging slot. I already have another car charger with multiple outputs, I will use one of those outputs for the DVR, and the other for charging phones etc.
  4. Very nifty item, unique to this set. This has self sticking wire holding clips. The clips can be stuck to any surface and can be used to guide the USB wire for a clean install.
  5. Type A pin small USB charging cable. I will connect this with the USB extender for my purpose.
  6. Manual, pretty basic and almost useless
  7. Extra 3M piece of dual-sided adhesive tape

Indication of the size of the camera:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-size-camera-1.jpgThe Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-size-camera-2.jpgThe Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-size-camera-3.jpg

A couple of extra pics, of the stick-on clips that comes with this camera, will be a good tool for clean install:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-clips-1.jpgThe Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-clips-2.jpg

I hope to install it over the weekend, will share updates soon.

Last edited by anshuman_v : 11th March 2016 at 19:30.
anshuman_v is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks