Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2018, 13:41   #2176
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
How are the others who recently bought the Viofo A119s V2 faring?

I noticed that the time-stamp and all the settings in my dashcam keeps getting reset every time I power it off. With my vehicle being under warranty, I haven't hardwired the dashcam, so it's just plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Turns out that many Viofo A119 users have been experiencing loss of settings.
Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all your tips and suggestions. I have succeeded in making the date/timestamp show up correctly. I charged the dashcam by plugging it in to a 2A/3V wall charger for 5 hours at home. The internal rechargeable RTC battery must indeed have drained, since the problem is resolved by charging it up via a wall charger.

I also updated the firmware up to v2.4, which is the latest.

Now, I am struggling to enforce 3 minute loop recordings. I see that a 45 minute office commute shows up as 15 separate 3 minute clips on the micro SD card even though I have set it to 3 minute loop recording mode.

I guess this could be due to the numerous jerks and impacts received all the time from speed bumps and bad roads; I have set the G sensor to 'Medium' sensitivity. Maybe by setting it to 'Low' or by shutting it off, the loop recording will work. I'll try this and let you all know.

Any advice will help, in the meantime. Thanks again!

Last edited by locusjag : 9th May 2018 at 13:47.
Old 9th May 2018, 13:47   #2177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I see that a 45 minute office commute shows up as 15 separate 3 minute clips on the micro SD card even though I have set it to 3 minute loop recording mode.
Err, that's exactly what the 3-min loop recording is supposed to do. Not sure if I missed something in your previous posts, but, in 3 min loop recording mode, are you expecting a single file of 3 min duration over the 45 min journey?

Or is it that your older clips are not being overwritten?
Old 9th May 2018, 13:54   #2178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Err, that's exactly what the 3-min loop recording is supposed to do. Not sure if I missed something in your previous posts, but, in 3 min loop recording mode, are you expecting a single file of 3 min duration over the 45 min journey?

Or is it that your older clips are not being overwritten?
Looks like I'm treading on thin ice here!

Doesn't loop recording mean that the file keeps getting overwritten at the specified time duration? I was expecting to see a single 3 minute file, showing the last 3 minutes of my commute.

I was prepared to record ("lock") only certain clips by manually pressing the "!" button.

Last edited by locusjag : 9th May 2018 at 13:56.
Old 9th May 2018, 14:00   #2179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Doesn't loop recording mean that the file keeps getting overwritten at the specified time duration? I was expecting to see a single 3 minute file, showing the last 3 minutes of my commute.
Lol! Like i said, it's working as expected. Just see if the older files are being overwritten or not. Once the storage card is full, the camera will overwrite the oldest file with the new one.

This write up and video can help clear some confusion you might have - http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 14:03   #2180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I was prepared to record ("lock") only certain clips by manually pressing the "!" button.
The Ice sheet has crashed I'm afraid

Selecting the 3 minute option means it creates a file after every 3 minutes ( to avoid issues of files getting corrupted)
Loop recording means it overwrites previous recordings (unless protected).
This overwriting happens when the memory card is full. Instead of throwing "memory full" error and seeking user permission, it overwrites.
Now you have combined both and understood it wrong my friend.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 15:28   #2181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Lol! Like i said, it's working as expected. Just see if the older files are being overwritten or not. Once the storage card is full, the camera will overwrite the oldest file with the new one.

This write up and video can help clear some confusion you might have - http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The Ice sheet has crashed I'm afraid

Selecting the 3 minute option means it creates a file after every 3 minutes ( to avoid issues of files getting corrupted)
Loop recording means it overwrites previous recordings (unless protected).
This overwriting happens when the memory card is full. Instead of throwing "memory full" error and seeking user permission, it overwrites.
Now you have combined both and understood it wrong my friend.
Gentlemen, I am guilty of conflating different things and accusing an innocent cam of being defective

Thank you so much!
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 09:57   #2182
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen, I am guilty of conflating different things and accusing an innocent cam of being defective

Thank you so much!
Point to note, the 3 Minute loop will overwrite the oldest clip from memory card. So, its always advisable to use the max memory supported card to help you store clips for longer duration.

Reduce the G-Sensor sensitivity too. I am not sure if your cam has this feature of storing high G footages in a separate folder as an "Event". If it does, then that folder will occupy more space than regular loop footage folder. Reducing your chance of capturing long stretch videos.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 01:26   #2183
BHPian

Installed the YI Smart Dashcam last week, connecting it to the 12V supply in the front. I have hidden the wires behind the roof liner by following the below video.

Dashcam from outside:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-dashcam_outside.jpg

The interesting thing with this Dashcam is the ease of operation using the mobile app - "YI Dashcam". This app can be used to control the settings and download the videos from the SD card to our mobile using the in-built Wi-fi.

Once you open the app, it will ask you to Connect to the Device and this will turn-on your phone's Wi-fi (if OFF) and connect to the Dashcam's built-in Wi-fi.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-connection.jpg

Once connected, below is the screen you will see (actually the one which the Dashcam "sees"). Interesting thing is you can take a picture by tapping the camera button in this screen and that will be directly saved to your phone.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-app_camera.jpg

In the "Settings" tab, you can change various settings like Video Resolution, turning On/Off Audio, Gsensor sensitivity, Show/Hide timestamp in the video, Show/Hide YI logo, ADAS (yet to explore on this) settings, LCD screen On/Off settings, etc.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-settings_1.jpg The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-settings_2.jpg The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-settings_3.jpg

Below are the various resolutions available for video recording, except 2304 X 1296 which is only for picture.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-video_resolutions.jpg

Each video file is for 3 minutes length (or lower if the car is turned off or power switched off before that).

Recording in the lowest resolution, 1280 X 720 30fps, the file size is approx. 110-120 MB however the clarity is also lowest. I have a 32 GB card installed, so that will give a recording time of approx. 12-13 hours.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-video_1280_720.jpg

The file size is approx. 320 MB when recorded in 1920 X 1080 30fps resolution and this may give a recording time of approx. 4.5-5 hours.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-video_1920_1080_f30.jpg

At the highest resolution, 1920 X 1080 60fps, which also has maximum clarity, the file size is approx. 434 MB. So, the total recording time may be 3-3.5 hours.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-video_1920_1080_f60.jpg

The main thing, for me, is the ease of downloading the video from SD card to the mobile, so that I don't need to remove the Dashcam from the mount and connect to the computer.

By default, the app will allow you to download 90 seconds (1.5 mins) of the total 180 seconds of a video file. The start time & end time are 0:45 - 2:15 in the video.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-video_download_1.jpg

However, we can also choose to download only a smaller portion of the video dragging the edges of the guide to the required timestamp.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-video_download_2.jpg

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 11th May 2018 at 01:29.
jpcoolguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 05:01   #2184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
For basic editing try Movie Maker. If you ever want to go all out, try DaVinci Resolve.
I could not find movie maker on win10. Maybe they have named it something else. I was looking for that only!

Thanks a lot
Quote:
locusjag
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Hemanth
for your suggestions. The final list of apps suggested are:

- YouTubeYouTube online editor
- inshot
- shotcut
- movie maker
- davinci resolve

If I have any specific feedback on these will be sure to update here.

Last edited by sridhu : 11th May 2018 at 05:07.
Old 11th May 2018, 12:54   #2185
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone shared dashcam footage of idiots jumping red lights to the police- perhaps via their official FB pages?

I got footage of a (government-owned) MTC city bus here in Chennai and then a political-flag-bearing Innova jumping the same red light, even as pedestrians struggled to cross the road.

But RTI applicants, journalists and whistleblowers (e.g., Manjunath (IIM Lucknow)) are all known to have a low life expectancy. Whereas, I have seen Chennai City Traffic Police declaring the complainant's name along with an "action taken report" in full public view on Facebook. Do they have to declare the whistleblower?
Old 11th May 2018, 12:58   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
But RTI applicants, journalists and whistleblowers (e.g., Manjunath (IIM Lucknow)) are all known to have a low life expectancy. Whereas, I have seen Chennai City Traffic Police declaring the complainant's name along with an "action taken report" in full public view on Facebook. Do they have to declare the whistleblower?
my colleague got knocked down by a politician car last month near tambaram. He went into a coma and lost his life. The cops sided with the politician and filed a case against this person. The power of the high and mighty aided by the corrupt cannot be undermined so easily.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 13:09   #2187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
my colleague got knocked down by a politician car last month near tambaram. He went into a coma and lost his life. The cops sided with the politician and filed a case against this person. The power of the high and mighty aided by the corrupt cannot be undermined so easily.
That is so saddening to hear! Thanks for reminding me how the truth doesn't really matter.

I get hopping mad at people who won't stop for red lights. I fear for the old, the disabled and kids, who usually struggle to cross the roads. Everyday I see near misses where lives could have ended...

Sorry, I'll get off my pulpit now. My rant is done. I guess our dashcam footage is only meant to protect ourselves when accused.
Old 11th May 2018, 13:20   #2188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone shared dashcam footage of idiots jumping red lights to the police- perhaps via their official FB pages?
The Bengaluru Traffic Police has a web portal where citizens can upload photos (with a limit on the size) of traffic violations. I do my bit by uploading photos from my dahs cam. Though most of these cases have been acted upon - the cops have issued a citation to the violator - there are a few exceptions where the rule was violated by a cop. A lady cop (she was in uniform and had POLICE written on the number plate of her scooter) was snapped riding on the wrong side and without helmet. The number was clearly visible in the snap, yet it was rejected with the comment "Image not clear". Ironically, they acted upon a pic which was not as clear (taken by the rear camera through a dusty rear glass), of an IT guy fiddling with his phone while driving on the ORR.

Quote:
But RTI applicants, journalists and whistleblowers (e.g., Manjunath (IIM Lucknow)) are all known to have a low life expectancy
It's all the more true these days - close the case, reject demands for probes, issue favourable verdicts and let the high and mighty escape, or be prepared to die.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 13:34   #2189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The Bengaluru Traffic Police has a web portal where citizens can upload photos (with a limit on the size) of traffic violations. I do my bit by uploading photos from my dahs cam.
Do the Bengaluru traffic police make it known to the violator that it was your evidence that nailed them? That'd be scary, to have a target painted on your back. The Chennai police on FB make it known who exactly filed the evidence/complaint with them.
Old 14th May 2018, 18:08   #2190
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Don't mind me saying these words, " Keep it (dashcam footage) to yourself ".

It is so rife that its just fate. Unless you have relatives in Political roles, Judiciary etc. never EVER even think of using these footages or reporting.

Gone are the good old days of being law abiding citizen. Nowdays, its be safe and keep silent.
prithm is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks