Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2020, 15:05   #2971
BANNED

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
I'm looking to buy a dashcam for my 2016 VW Vento. The car is primarily driven on highways so a front-facing dashcam should be sufficient - Budget - Rs.5000.
You can look at Blueskysea B1W, DDPai Mini. They meet the requirements without any issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Also, would the camera turn on automatically when the car turns on (if routed through the headliner)?
Yes, just connect the fuse tap cable into a fuse / socket that turns ON when the ignition is turned on.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th May 2020 at 21:13. Reason: Minor typo.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 21:20   #2972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post

The DDPai mini is probably the cheapest capacitor dashcam you can get. Paid Rs.4000 for it. Daylight videos are quite good. Night videos are not that great, but good for what you pay. It will serve the purpose of a dashcam very well. Downside (or upside, depending on how you look at it) is that there is no built in GPS. It has no display. I do not miss a display because dashcam displays are too small anyway and from experience, only helps during the initial alignment.
Thank you for your suggestion, I have received my ddpai mini which I got for 3600₹. Installed myself with the wires hidden. I concur what you have said, daylight videos have very good quality, night videos are not that clear.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 12:05   #2973
Senior - BHPian

My old Polaroid dash cam is not storing the date or settings anymore.
There are so many models of DDPAI. Is the A2 https://www.amazon.in/A2-Continuous-Monitoring-encoding-G-Sensor/dp/B086XDLB6N/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=ddpai&qid=1590474397& sr=8-4 better than the Mini https://www.amazon.in/Mini-G-Sensor-Parking-Hardwire-Kit/dp/B07L6JVT92/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=ddpai&qid=1590474397& sr=8-8? Cost difference is only Rs. 200/-
@SKC-auto; where did you pick up the mini for Rs. 3600/-?
Actually I was keen on picking up something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_ where I could add a reverse camera, bluetooth telephony and also have navigation. (I don't want to change the single din Alpine head unit). But I guess that ordering from Aliexpress is ruled out for now. And no Indian sites seem to stock this type of DVR.
Old 26th May 2020, 22:12   #2974
FGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Was contemplating between purchasing the DDPai Mini and Blueseasky B1W last night, when I came across a basic comparison on Amazon manifesting the differences between the different DDPai dash cams. Have attached a screenshot here for everyones ready reference.

Don't know about SKC-auto, but when i was browsing on Amazon last night, the DDPai Mini was for Rs. 4,000/- and there was an additional coupon giving a discount of Rs. 400/- bringing down the amount payable to Rs. 3,600/-.

The price on amazon earlier today for the DDPai Mini was Rs. 3,800 and the additional coupon seemed to have disappeared.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot-20200526-10.05.35-pm.png  

FGP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 22:25   #2975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
@SKC-auto; where did you pick up the mini for Rs. 3600/-?
Looks like both are same, all the same features. I bought the mini with charger for regular 12v socket. The links which you shared include hardware kit but no 12v charger.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07L6L9KW1/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_CEuZEb3DGADA4

Yesterday I got some coupon from the seller and got it for 3600₹.

My experience with ali express was not good, I bought a dashcam for 800₹ and it finally reached me after 2 months, and had to pay 1200₹ to the postman for custom duty, I did not pick the product and left it there. Uninstalled aliexpress and never went back.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 26th May 2020 at 22:48. Reason: Added last point about ali express
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:33   #2976
BHPian

Hi Fellow BHPans,

Need your expert advise to shortlist a dash camera for my new car. My requirements are as follows:
- Good picture quality, to be able to read clearly the number plate
- WIFI transfer to phone/laptop and good App to control
- in built memory or external SD card (min 64GB)
- GPS capability with ability to disable/enable the same
- Night parking mode with good G-sensor
- decent night vision
- Heat tolerance. This car may be parked Hot sultry humid weather outside for long. Capacitators are desirable.
- Dual camera desirable

Most importantly, i am looking for NON-CHINESE brands. I understand China dominates electronics supply chain and there is no device which is made 100% with non-Chinese parts. But it is desirable for me to minimise chinese components/parts/brands as much as possible if alternative exits. (Mods - i don't mean to violate any policy or provoke unwanted discussion. its just a personal desire to put a good non-china camera in my new Nexon. Market is full of chines products and need help to shortlist.)

I know i have to pay premium for non-chinese products so my price range will be around ~15 to 20k max. Kindly let me know.

Last edited by TurboOnTarmac : 17th June 2020 at 10:49. Reason: corrected typos
TurboOnTarmac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:42   #2977
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboOnTarmac View Post
I know i have to pay premium for non-chinese products so my price range will be around ~15 to 20k max. Kindly let me know.
You can look at Street Guardian dashcams. I think they are Australian based company. Excellent video quality (both day and night) and can support I think upto 400GB memory cards. For a dual channel dashcam, get the SG9663DC PRO. Price for this one is near ₹20,000 depending on the memory card chosen.

Links to buy:

Since you have excluded China based ones, I am not including dashcam's made by Viofo and Mini.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 12:16   #2978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You can look at Street Guardian dashcams. I think they are Australian based company. Excellent video quality (both day and night) and can support I think upto 400GB memory cards. For a dual channel dashcam, get the SG9663DC PRO. Price for this one is near ₹20,000 depending on the memory card chosen.

Links to buy:

Since you have excluded China based ones, I am not including dashcam's made by Viofo and Mini.
Thank you Anurag. I checked the links and they seems meet all my criteria. much appreciated.

A follow up question: Any comments, per your knowledge, on warranty or support in India? Amazon India site showing product out of stock but it seems available on Amazon US site. How to order it from in India, any other site?

Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 12:26   #2979
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboOnTarmac View Post
Any comments, per your knowledge, on warranty or support in India? Amazon India site showing product out of stock but it seems available on Amazon US site. How to order it from in India, any other site?
Buy it from Amazon.com or Street Guardian's website directly. I think they carry 2 years warranty IIRC.

I'll be getting the same model for my Creta too from Amazon.com website.

Amazon India will have the pricing between ₹25-30K I think so.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 20:42   #2980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
Hi everyone,

Is anyone using a dual channel dashcam like the sorts of viofo a129 duo in an EcoSport?
I was actually considering to buy a dual channel dashcam and then the thought of actually fixing it on my car came to my mind. With a boot door that open side ways, i would need to have a very long cable( longer than an upward opening boot) with quite some free end dangling near the boot area.
I brought the viofo a129 duo dashcam from Amazon india. With the present condition and uncertainty at the borders I opted not to purchase from Banggood or AliExpress.

The rear camera cable provided in the box is 6M in length and fortunately it was enough for my EcoSport. I routed it through the floor panel as I did not want to interfere with side curtain airbags when routing through the headliner. I was a bit skeptical about the cord length when routed through the floor but it was enough and more for EcoSport. I could leave enough buffer cable at the hinge without much concern. Used the provided clips to manage the cable near the hinge at tailgate.

The only issue I faced was that the rear camera cable had a straight connector pin rather than a right angled pin. If the connector was right angled i could have placed the camera close to the top, but with straight pin, for the ease of plugging in and out, I had to place it close to middle of the glass area. I made sure that the rear camera was well within the sweep area of the rear wiper for that clear field of view always.

Installation of the front camera was a pretty straight forward procedure. I just had to swap out my 70mai pro cam. I would miss it's ADAS warnings though!
The camera is powered through the 12v socket. Didn't go for hardwiring because my car would most of the time be parked and that too in my garage, so no point in draining the battery further.
Attaching few pictures for reference.

Thanks for all the replies to my previous query.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20200621_150333.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20200621_150343.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20200621_150417.jpg  

blueeyed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 18:56   #2981
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

The investment paid off and it saved me from what could have been a major harassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Due to the worsening situation of road rage and other related incidents, decided to invest in a good dashcam.
I overtook a PCR van, and a Honda Stunner was in front of me with two riders, both had helmets. I spotted a dog running voraciously from opposite lane and I had doubt that it could create some issue. There was no accelerator input from my end. The dog eventually crashes into the bike and they both fall.

But the PCR van probably got entirely different idea. They thought I had crashed into the bikers.

I got down, helped the bikers to get up and made them sit on the divider. Some other good samaritans came and moved the bike.

Meanwhile police came and asked the chaps if I was responsible for the crash. More than confirming, their tone gave me a vibe that they wanted the bikers to say Yes! The biker then lied that they don't know how they fell, may be they felt a push from behind.

This was enough to make the cops go berserk. Thankfully I was calm all this while as I knew I had the footage.

As soon as I uttered about the camera, they got shocked and the pillion who was quiet all this while, tells that they fell down due to a dog crossing the street.

The cops didn't even check my dashcam for footage and let me go.

I sincerely urge all BHPians to get this life saver. This incident happened 1km from my residence. If I didn't have any footage then it was going to be an uphill task to convince them, since I think they wanted this to escalate, and may be make some money out of this.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20200623_183936.jpg

A narrow escape!

PS: Also note that the biker had braked before crashing, which clearly indicates he was lying.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th June 2020 at 21:52. Reason: Copied your post to our dashcam thread for added visibility! :)
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:02   #2982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Buy it from Amazon.com or Street Guardian's website directly. I think they carry 2 years warranty IIRC.

I'll be getting the same model for my Creta too from Amazon.com website.

Amazon India will have the pricing between ₹25-30K I think so.
Thank you, Anurag. My car came today and i will order it on Amazon this week.
Old 27th June 2020, 09:15   #2983
BHPian

Hey guys, forgive me for this mega noob question but I need some guidance.

Thinking of putting up dashcams in the our family (mine, dad and the wife's) cars. The problem is, despite going through 24 pages in this thread I am not even sure what I should be looking for.

1) some are with inbuilt cams, some are only recorder

2) some record 24/7, some disconnect when the car is shut down

3) some have wifi I think though am not sure why or what function this has

4) some have some linked smart apps I think ostensibly for viewing remotely?

Finally the budget swings widely from some 2k to 30k!

My requirement is simple,

When am on the move, I would like to record the road ahead for both possible incident cases and also for Travelogues. Very occasionally when I need to park in the open (say outside a stadium) in a dodgy place, record when not in motion.

My questions are,

1) what's the advantage of a inbuilt dash cam vs one that only records - I guess the later are cheaper?

2) do all these cameras upload on a cloud or do you need access to the physical cam to download the video.

3) as I need to put 3, can this be done on a budget, like 3-5k / car.

Thanks in advance
Old 27th June 2020, 12:36   #2984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post

My requirement is simple,

When am on the move, I would like to record the road ahead for both possible incident cases and also for Travelogues. Very occasionally when I need to park in the open (say outside a stadium) in a dodgy place, record when not in motion.

My questions are,

1) what's the advantage of a inbuilt dash cam vs one that only records - I guess the later are cheaper?

2) do all these cameras upload on a cloud or do you need access to the physical cam to download the video.

3) as I need to put 3, can this be done on a budget, like 3-5k / car.
Not able to make out what you mean by "inbuilt dash cam". All dash cams start recording when powered.

You can download files over WiFi using the respective app. Settings can also be changed using the app. Remote viewing is possible but most have a very limited range so you'll need to be very close to the car.

If you plan on using Parking Mode, get a hardwiring kit as well, preferably from the cam manufacturer.

Within 3-5k, I suggest looking at the B1W (no screen) or single channel options from Viofo. Should be able to find a A119 V2 or A119S for about 5k.
Old 27th June 2020, 13:20   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Not able to make out what you mean by "inbuilt dash cam". All dash cams start recording when powered.

Sorry I meant those that come with displays on the body vs those without displays.

Is there any benefit to having a video display on the body of the cam?

Also are there specific rear dash cams, or they the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks