Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2023, 18:44   #4501
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
Examples from my Viofo A139 Pro with HDR enabled.

Front (4k 30fps with CPL on lens)
Damn! Everything is visible. I am pretty sure with original file it would be 5x more clearer. Plates are visible. Alas, dashcam is doing what it is supposed to do.

Damn you Viofo for A229.

Even the cheaper previous versions have better night time quality than A229.

Quote:
Rear (1080p 30fps)

The plates & numbers are visible in the rear camera footage but then it wasn't too dark. I'm not sure if rear camera footage is HDR. There is only one option in settings for HDR - enable or disable. I think I'll need to check the user manual to see if HDR is enabled for rear camera as well or not.
HDR at rear doesn't matter. It'd be flashed with direct beams irrespective of whether it has HDR or not. In the link shared, plates are visible so it's fine.
Old 4th June 2023, 22:13   #4502
BHPian

Quote:
Viofo A139 Pro has options for 1, 2, 3, 5 minute loops. I think it goes beyond 5 min loops as well, I'll need to check on that.
So I checked, it has 1, 2, 3, 5 & 10 minute loops.

Quote:
Different cameras have different encoding support - some are good at data compression while others are not. But yes, ideally camera should have atleast 256 GB support.
Checked on this as well. Viofo A139 Pro uses up abt 190 GB for 10 hours video. This includes 4k @ 30fps from front camera & 1080p @ 30fps from rear camera.
Old 4th June 2023, 22:13   #4503
BHPian

Quote:
Viofo A139 Pro has options for 1, 2, 3, 5 minute loops. I think it goes beyond 5 min loops as well, I'll need to check on that.

Different cameras have different encoding support - some are good at data compression while others are not. But yes, ideally camera should have atleast 256 GB support.
The 5-minute recording would be a boon. Today the Qubo Pro app offered me the option to download a 3-minute video, but strangely, the downloaded video was only 1 minute long. I think they need to fix this in the next update for the app.

I will post some samples of the Cam recordings. I need to get the SD card out tomorrow.

Yeah a minimum of 256GB should be must. It is not feasible to carry multiple SD cards if you are planning to document your 10-hour+ road trip like Bangalore to Goa.
Old 4th June 2023, 22:41   #4504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkankur View Post
The 5-minute recording would be a boon.
I don't think so. I've tried with all but 10 min loops after getting the camera installed a week ago. 5 min loops for 4k 30fps become quite big (~1 GB each) & take time to download even on 5Ghz wifi band. After trying 1, 2, 3 & 5 min loops, I've settled on 2 min loops. They'll create half the number of files compared to 1 min loops & they are not that big so downloading on phone is faster compared to 3 & 5 min loops. 2 min loops are about 450 MB each for the 4k ones. Rear camera footage at 1080p is small for 2 min loops (about 70-75 MB each) but there's no option to set loop length differently for front & rear. I don't think any camera would have that since the videos are kind of in sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkankur View Post
Yeah a minimum of 256GB should be must. It is not feasible to carry multiple SD cards if you are planning to document your 10-hour+ road trip like Bangalore to Goa.
Even if not planning a long trip, given the size of videos, the retention would be rather small on a card less than 256 GB. My camera supports 512 GB cards, so I just put a 512 GB card in it.

And not all storage is available for use. I'm using Sandisk Extreme UHS-1 512 GB card & in the camera it shows about 476 GB of total space available on an empty card. About 36 GB is lost in this case to how capacity is calculated by manufacturers & by computing systems. Like for example manufacturer would calculate 1 GB as 1000 MB, 1 MB as 1000 KB, 1 KB as 1000 Bytes. So 512 GB would be roughly 512,000 MB as per manufacturer & that is what the storage capacity is set. But a computing system calculates 1 GB as 1024 MB, 1 MB as 1024 KB, 1 KB as 1024 Bytes. So it sees 512,000 MB as ~476 GB.

This might sound like a scam & storage manufacturers have been doing this since forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
HDR at rear doesn't matter. It'd be flashed with direct beams irrespective of whether it has HDR or not. In the link shared, plates are visible so it's fine.
I think HDR would be almost as relevant in rear because the point of having a camera in rear is to record video in case something happens that side. I'll check for footage from an area which is almost dark without any street lights etc to see how good is the readability on rear camera footage.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Please also note that only two smileys are permitted per post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th June 2023 at 00:05. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
Old 5th June 2023, 00:36   #4505
BHPian

Quote:
I think HDR would be almost as relevant in rear because the point of having a camera in rear is to record video in case something happens that side.
That is true. I did miss that point. Although very little, it does help in capturing vehicles who can scuff the sides. I don't think HDR would be beneficial here since your vehicle headlights do not focus on rear vehicle, which could cause overexposure. A229 does not have HDR. This is how rear images look for reference:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot-20230605-00.25.12.png
(Taken at 28 kmph, no streetlights)

Name:  SmartSelect_20230605_003046_Gallery.gif
Views: 855
Size:  3.72 MB
(This is what it looks like when brakes are applied)

Quote:
I'll check for footage from an area which is almost dark without any street lights etc to see how good is the readability on rear camera footage.
Isn't HDR supposed to work with lights? AFAIK, it adjusts the exposure in accordance with light so that the image is not overexposed. When there are high beams directly focusing on camera in short distance, how will it work? It's akin to capturing sun with mobile phone.

Like the image I posted above where plates are not visible, I think that is where HDR could be useful, if at all there is for rear cam.
Old 5th June 2023, 01:53   #4506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Isn't HDR supposed to work with lights? AFAIK, it adjusts the exposure in accordance with light so that the image is not overexposed. When there are high beams directly focusing on camera in short distance, how will it work? It's akin to capturing sun with mobile phone.
Not quite. HDR is a technique where multiple exposures (from lightest to brightest) are merged to expose sections (by bringing more highlight & shadow detail) which would be otherwise not visible in a single exposure. It might fix an issue with an overexposed section in an image or it might not - its contextual, depending on the lighting in other sections of the image. So there can be cases where a section is overexposed & even HDR cannot make it look good.

All in all the quality depends on the sensor, lens, processor & the software. High end cameras have much better HDR processing & results compared to lower end ones. A 35k mobile phone has a better camera, processor & software these days than what A139 Pro has for instance. So the HDR from that phone camera would give you better results comparatively.

I'm liking A139 Pro compared to some other dashcams I've seen. But if you ask me, I don't think its worth the 36k price tag it comes with. IMO its about 12-13k costlier for the hardware its providing. Ironically it is available for $300 (which is approx INR 24k) in the US market which seems to be the right price for what it offers.
amitgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 11:15   #4507
BHPian

Hi, I just bought the 70mai a800s+rear dash cam with the cpl filter. Any suggestions where can I get this installed in my Vento in Pune(preferably near Hadapsar).
Old 5th June 2023, 18:26   #4508

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Reading through this thread has left me completely confused

I am looking at a dual channel Dash Cam, for a new Harrier and would prefer to hardwire it. Nothing more than 12k and something which has a super capacitor and the app is bug less and easy to use. What would the experts suggest here based on the recent experience?
Hi, I recently purchased wolfbox D07 dual channel dashcam for my Harrier after a long research. It comes with super capacitor. Yet to install it.
Old 5th June 2023, 19:51   #4509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitei20 View Post
Hi, I recently purchased wolfbox D07 dual channel dashcam for my Harrier after a long research. It comes with super capacitor. Yet to install it.
Based on couple of suggestions in this forum, I bought myself a DDPAI Z40 dual channel. Yet to get the car () and still looking for an appropriate place to get this one installed by concealing the wires. Scared to do it on my own, as this version of Harrier has 6 airbags.
Old 5th June 2023, 20:05   #4510
BHPian

Quote:
I'm liking A139 Pro compared to some other dashcams I've seen.
I wish I could say this for A229 Duo. It was really exciting at first and I anticipated Viofo would provide firmware updates which would correct this issue but nope, no solution for missing hardware.

Quote:
But if you ask me, I don't think its worth the 36k price tag it comes with. IMO its about 12-13k costlier for the hardware its providing.
Spot on! Post Aliexpress, all Viofos are super expensive in India, especially dual channel ones. IMO, ones without HDR are not even worth 5k.

Quote:
Ironically it is available for $300 (which is approx INR 24k) in the US market which seems to be the right price for what it offers.
Yes! Same for Canada. Blackboxmycar.ca has some amazing deals and offers during festivals and sales. Even today without any deal or offer, A139 Pro retails for almost 23k INR in Canada and here is retails for 35k.

Last edited by batish : 5th June 2023 at 20:06.
Old 6th June 2023, 17:19   #4511
BHPian

Hi friends
I recently got 70mai M300 front dashcam for my Safari. I managed to set it up after checking YouTube video.
I have put 128 GB memory card in it .
However I have not been able to check the recording in my 70mai app local albums in my smart phone . I can see live feeds during driving. But not able to retrieve it .
When I contacted NexDigitron from where the dashcam was purchased, they replied that that the recording gets stored in the memory card which I can see if I put memory card to a computer.

If I have to access the recording immediately ( for ex , in case of accident or dispute with traffic police ) how do I go about it .
Old 6th June 2023, 23:32   #4512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
If I have to access the recording immediately ( for ex , in case of accident or dispute with traffic police ) how do I go about it .
Ideally the camera should support downloads to phone via app. I've no idea about 70mai so can't say about this. But you can get a small card reader which you can plug into your phone & copy the files that way. Depending on your phone OS (Android or iOS) & the port on it (USB-C, Lightening or Micro-USB), look for a portable card reader.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 23:59   #4513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
Use the app, connect to the device using Wifi. Read the manual for more details.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 20:10   #4514
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I am using DDPAI mini in two of my cars for the past two years and happy so far with its durability, app, and Nexdigitron India support.
The only issue is the 1080P resolution cannot read number plates at highway speeds (80 kmph and above)

I am now looking for a Dashcam with better resolution (4K) but without GPS logger (privacy reasons)

Unfortunately all of the 4k dashcams I could search have gps logger.

Can some one suggest a Dashcam with following specification:

1. Front camera (can go for dual channel)
2. No GPS logger (or option to turn it off)
3. Preferable 4 K resolution ( any thing better than 1080p)
4. Budget INR 10K ( can stretch by another 50%)
Old 8th June 2023, 21:22   #4515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Hello BHPians,

I am using DDPAI mini in two of my cars for the past two years and happy so far with its durability, app, and Nexdigitron India support.
The only issue is the 1080P resolution cannot read number plates at highway speeds (80 kmph and above)

I am now looking for a Dashcam with better resolution (4K) but without GPS logger (privacy reasons)
I don't think at that speed you'd be able to read plates even with 8k resolution. To read plates you need higher frame rate not higher resolution.

Secondly, GPS works offline. Privacy issues arise when dashcam has access to internet but I don't think dashcams support network yet. It will not invade your privacy.

If you are paranoid, look for Viofo dashcams. GPS logger is separate from dashcam, you can detach it. They are super expensive. 4k model is 35k and it is the only one which has good readability and HDR.

I have A229 but night time quality is pathetic due to lack of HDR, so not recommended.
batish is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed