Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2006, 05:53   #1
BHPian

two channel Amp - how to bridge?

hi guys

I am thinking of installing a two channel Amp in my Matiz...just wanted to know how do I run the 4 inch fronts and 6x9 rears on the Amp? I do not want to install a subwoofer...so this would probably be the last thing going in the setup. Also, what all do I need to take care of while installing the cables etc?

I do not want to lose out on the fader control...please suggest !
Old 18th May 2006, 09:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest using the amp for the 4" front speakers and letting the HU power the rear. some HUs allow this some dont. some HUs only allow the rear speakers to be powered by the amp. you can work around this by connecting the amp to the rear fader and then using them to power the front speakers. only in this case the fader will work backwards.
Old 18th May 2006, 09:35   #3
BHPian

do you mean that the I would be able to use the fader control to shift the sound to rear? I cannot fade out the sound from fronts?

my fronts are not that powerful - so connecting the amp to them doesn't make sense to me. Is there any other way they could be bridged together?

also how to distribute power on 2 channels? (stupid ques) - still one channel = power? 2 channel= power? how are the connections calculated?
Old 18th May 2006, 09:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

no no no.....

IF your HU has front and rear pre out using the amp on the front preouts and power your front speakers with the amp so that you move the soundstage to the front.

IF you HU has only rear preouts use the amp on the rear preouts and connect the amp to the front speakers. Use the front speaker outs to power the rear speakers but note that the fader will work in reverse.

You cannot really overpower speakers as easily as you can hurt them by underpowering them. You sit it the front so move the soundstage to the front.
Old 18th May 2006, 09:57   #5
BHPian

thanks Navin, but my fronts make a bad sound as if they are cracked or something but when I checked them, I couldn't find any cracks.
however, the rears sound good and I guess with Amp they would sound even better. I am using Pio 3750 with Boss R992 rears and Boss R422 http://www.bossaudio.com/home/catalo...um=4&catNum=21

I would prefer the soundstage at rear.
Old 18th May 2006, 11:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

ok then use the amp for the rear.
Old 18th May 2006, 17:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar
thanks Navin, but my fronts make a bad sound as if they are cracked or something but when I checked them, I couldn't find any cracks.
however, the rears sound good and I guess with Amp they would sound even better. I am using Pio 3750 with Boss R992 rears and Boss R422 http://www.bossaudio.com/home/catalo...um=4&catNum=21

I would prefer the soundstage at rear.
Classic example of someone who has bought front speakers just for the heck of it. If you prefer a rear soundstage and the front speakers don't behave themselves, you were better off not buying the front speakers at all rather than trying to get them out of the way as much as possible. By powering the rears with the amp, you are making absolutely sure that the insensitive front speakers are rendered almost inaudible by the dominant rears.

Navin's suggestion about using the amp to power the front is right. It is always desirable to have a front soundstage. What is the exact purpose of adding the amp? Is it to make the system louder? This is unfortunately at the expense of losing the front s/s and is not such a great idea. Maybe you can hook it up to your rears for now, but I would advise to save up for a decent pair of fronts in the future, and then shift the amp to drive the fronts. It will certainly be a more ear-pleasing proposition.
Old 19th May 2006, 09:25   #8
Team-BHP Support

Relax B&T some like it in the front and some prefer it from the back. Our is not to question why....:-)
Old 19th May 2006, 09:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Relax B&T some like it in the front and some prefer it from the back. Our is not to question why....:-)

now even our mod,Navin has gone Sam's way.
Old 19th May 2006, 10:15   #10
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr

now even our mod,Navin has gone Sam's way.
hehehe couldnt stop laughing at that
Old 19th May 2006, 11:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am glad You think this way. I prefer the sound stage at back although there are some songs where in I like to get teh front sound stage & for those I shift it at front(My HU allows to select only the front speakers & sub when needed).

No offences but I have noticed that only people who deal or are fan of JBL recommend this front stage thing because the same words were told to me by the JBL dealer in pune. On the forum too I have heard this only from JBL guys.

I believe componenets are yet not known among common people & since JBL is good in componants & sees a potentially untapped market as compared to the rear speakers which has lot of options(which might not be as good as JBL but still) they are advocating this thing.

Just my thoughts
Old 19th May 2006, 12:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
No offences but I have noticed that only people who deal or are fan of JBL recommend this front stage thing because the same words were told to me by the JBL dealer in pune.
I dont that is a fair assessment. I dont use any JBL products but I do have Infinity components in my wife's car.

I have prefered a front soundstage since I can remember (about 1976 or 78 or so) tinkering with car audio.
Old 19th May 2006, 12:07   #13
BHPian

Technocrat,

Ideally one should listen to the front speakers in the car. Thats the way we listen to music/sound at our homes, theatres (main, dialogues, only effects are from rear), live performance. Our ears are also angled to listen from the front.

The problem in a lot of cars sold in India is that they accomodate small speakers in the front, which cannot produce full bandwidth of music so people prefer listening to bigger speakers at the back (6 X 9's).

Solution is put bigger speakers with little modification in the doors in the front, 2-way 6.5" components or 3-way 6.5" componets to utilise .the stock 4" speaker location and i assure you will not like to listen from the back after you listen to good front speakers.

Maximum you need is small size rear fills for the rear passengers which can be faded in or out depending upon the occupancy of the rear seats.

If you have a subwoofer, tune it to integrate in the front stage so that you get seamless full bandwidth sound without localising multiple speakers in the car.
Old 19th May 2006, 13:03   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
I am glad You think this way. I prefer the sound stage at back although there are some songs where in I like to get teh front sound stage & for those I shift it at front(My HU allows to select only the front speakers & sub when needed).

No offences but I have noticed that only people who deal or are fan of JBL recommend this front stage thing because the same words were told to me by the JBL dealer in pune. On the forum too I have heard this only from JBL guys.

I believe componenets are yet not known among common people & since JBL is good in componants & sees a potentially untapped market as compared to the rear speakers which has lot of options(which might not be as good as JBL but still) they are advocating this thing.

Just my thoughts
Hi Technocrat,

Actually a good front soundstage is recommended by all good car audio installers. It has nothing to do with JBL and their front components. It exists for ALL brands.
All good installers and car audio buffs will require a great front soundstage.

That said, I'd like to believe we are good in the front and at the back too.
Old 19th May 2006, 13:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow Nice replies

@Navin: Accepted like I said its just an observation may be I should meet people who recommend good Front Stage & yet not be a hard core HK product installer

@Autophile: Hehe I have got this same reason by the JBL dealer But yes My car doesnt allow me to put any good Front set in the limited space in the dashboard (I am using 2 way Sony Xplode, need I say more) & I dont want to cut my door panel for fitting a speaker :| that said I was on a diet budget when I got my intial setup(Sub & amp came almost 6 months later).

@Sam: I have absolutely no doubts about the quality of JBL fronts & rear & either my next car or if needed then in my current car I will be getting the JBLs for sure

Like I said it was just an observation.

Just for the info this is the setup in my car http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/218640-post66.html

The speakers are the only thing which I might change in future else its great

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks