Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 09:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY - Cassette Player with a built-in (Hidden) MP3 device

My uncle, an electronics engineer, has an old Maruti Omni bought from the used car market and although it runs fine and all, he always missed good music while driving.

Reason? The Omni came with an age-old Pioneer cassette player.

Everyone in my family knows I am the person to go to for advice on gadgets and cars, he understandably came to me. I gave him a few options available in the market but nothing excited the geek in him. He wanted something different!

Solution? I proposed him to do
this
. It's a complete DIY job and for an electronics engineer, I don't think putting it altogether would be a problem!

More details and installation pictures here:

http://www.ivancreations.com/2013/03...te-player.html
Old 5th April 2013, 10:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY - Cassette Player with a built-in (Hidden) MP3 device

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
My uncle, an electronics engineer, has an old Maruti Omni bought from the used car market and although it runs fine and all, he always missed good music while driving.

Reason? The Omni came with an age-old Pioneer cassette player.

Everyone in my family knows I am the person to go to for advice on gadgets and cars, he understandably came to me. I gave him a few options available in the market but nothing excited the geek in him. He wanted something different!

Solution? I proposed him to do this. It's a complete DIY job and for an electronics engineer, I don't think putting it altogether would be a problem!

More details and installation pictures here:

http://www.ivancreations.com/2013/03...te-player.html
So, did he do it?

Are the installation pictures from your install? I guess not. Please share more details.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 12:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So, did he do it?

Are the installation pictures from your install? I guess not. Please share more details.
Unfortunately, this project didn't really take shape, although I knew it had tickled his geek brain! The installation pictures are from the guy whose idea this was in the first place.

My uncle's reasons for not following this through were far too simple. He had bought the Omni for some 30,000 odd rupees. For a 15+ year old car, in a rather shabby condition (since it is being mainly used as a computer peripherals transport vehicle) he couldn't justify the time, money and effort needed for this project.

Any guesses what I'm gifting him on this next birthday?! Hint: No,it's not a new car!

I just thought of posting this up since there are lot of others on this forum who would find this job an interesting DIY.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 5th April 2013 at 12:32.
Old 5th April 2013, 13:17   #4
BHPian

These are readily available actually. Maybe your uncle can buy something of this sort:

LINK

It has a 3.5 mm jack that you plug into your iPod/MP3 player etc. and insert the cassette into the HU. So it's essentially a converter.
swarnava.m is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks