Team-BHP - Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/134831-blaupunkt-philadelphia-835-vw-passat-others-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by latentpotential (Post 3101583)
How about a Caska unit if you want to maintain looks?

I dont think you can compare Caska with Alpine. Even so $2600 for just a HU is insane. Much of the cost is due to exclusive (read as 'small market') nature of the device (besides it has a 8" screen that is supposed to very good even in sunlight, full integration with the car's other systems etc..).

Hello Samarth,

One of my friend (a diesel-head) owns a 6 months old Jetta. We have been discussing about its HU replacement with a Double-DIN with no conclusions made yet.

We came across your requirement to change the HU for your Uncle's Passat. We suppose that must be a Double-DIN with Bluetooth & CD Changer options.

In case your uncle is opting a new HU, would he be interested in selling the current OE HU to my friend? Do PM in case you are interested in such a deal. Thanks :)

Cheers!!
M

I was looking at replacing the HU in a Trendline Passat with either the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 or the HU in the Highline version the RNS 510 and combine it with this reverse camera.

What would be a better option?

The Blaupunkt is available for INR45K while the RNS 510 can be sourced from ebay for around the same price.

Which is a better system? More importantly would it void the manufacturer warranty.

Thanks

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 comes with garmin powered maps i heard from one of the auto shops in Trivandrum. Going by the OEM looks and the CAN support, I would prefer this one over anything else in VW.

Apparently works quite well with these cars.
Comes with mapmyindia maps, and has support for the parking sensors (and can add an extra reversing cam), climatronic system, and steering controls.

I'm quite tempted to get it for my Laura, but the nearly 50K sticker is quite a scare!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 3211807)
... nearly 50K sticker is quite a scare!

Street price should be substantially less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 3211807)
I'm quite tempted to get it for my Laura, but the nearly 50K sticker is quite a scare!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 3212045)

I had posted here along with photos of the installation in some other Superb - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3126492 that the same was offered to me for 41.5K directly from Blaupunkt along with their contact details in the following posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 3212045)

Yes sir, they will be.

This honestly will be a tempting option for many VW/Skoda owners compared to the Caska unit. This for one should have much better SQ, and overall performance should be better as well.

Even those owners who have the RCD510 (Bolero Touchscreen Unit) would benefit through a DVD player, USB, Bluetooth (not all models come with it - a 20K option), Navigation, and a remote control.

In fact, I am very tempted to get it put in the Laura simply for the Bluetooth, Nav, DVD player, and remote control. Makes more sense than paying 20K for inbuilt bluetooth, and 20k for a good Navigation device.
Just don't like how it doesn't fit flush with the dashboard as it appears a little sunken - but then, I haven't seen it in person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3212053)
the same was offered to me for 41.5K directly from Blaupunkt along with their contact details in the following posts.

Ahh! I had heard of being around 50K MRP. Maybe that included fitting also.

At Rs. 41.5K it makes it a lot more tempting, especially compared to Caska and others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 3212056)
... tempting option for many VW/Skoda owners compared to the Caska unit ...

Caska, Motevo, etc. are no match for the Blaupunkt units.

Can anyone who has had the 835 installed comment on the SQ and usability of the unit vs the OEM HU.

Got the 835 installed in my Trendline Passat. Great HU. Still need to play around with the EQ settings to get the sound down pat but so far Sq is an improvement over stock. Radio reception however is sub par. Going back to the installer tomorrow to get the antenna setting checked. Bluetooth connectivity with the iphone for both Voice and Music is a breeze. Rear parking camera integrated well but there seems to be some interference in the image despite of using a relay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wysiwyg25 (Post 3238019)
Got the 835 installed in my Trendline Passat. Great HU. Still need to play around with the EQ settings to get the sound down pat but so far Sq is an improvement over stock. Radio reception however is sub par. Going back to the installer tomorrow to get the antenna setting checked. Bluetooth connectivity with the iphone for both Voice and Music is a breeze. Rear parking camera integrated well but there seems to be some interference in the image despite of using a relay.

Its possible he hasn't connected the external antenna to this.

Also have you used an external mic too, or just the one on the HU? Does the person you are speaking to hear you properly, or do you have to raise your voice a bit to get them to hear you?

Yes quite possible that antenna hook up was missed out. Got it done at Tornado motors Santacruz. Bunch of novices largely used a trial and error method for install. Had no choice but to go with dealer install to keep warranty intact. Total cost with reverse camera 44k.

External mic is hooked up and conversations are clear no need to speak up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wysiwyg25 (Post 3232764)
Can anyone who has had the 835 installed comment on the SQ and usability of the unit vs the OEM HU.

I recently had by VW Vento's stock HU replaced with Philadelphia 835 in Chennai. Havent changed the stock speakers but there definitely is an improvement in the sound quality (finding beats to be a bit more crisper - though the stock speakers still beg to be changed). From a usability perspective its pretty easy (to learn) and get used to in time (a week for me). If you have a Vento or Jetta or any other cars in the skoda range that deploy CAN interfacing - would strongly suggest this HU.

The touch screen, and bluetooth interface that connects to my iPhone 5 works perfect (can synch all contacts/missed calls/dialed list and favourites right on the HU !!) Video playback is excellent as well @ 800 x 400 resolution. The stock steering controls work as well with no wiring required.

The only issue I seem to have is with the HU's microphones reception quality. As per the manual this unit has internal and external mic (provided). The external mic was setup at the top near the rear view mirror (with wiring concealed). I've tried switching the mic setting to both external and internal but has made no improvements in the reception quality. (called at the other end hears a wind noise and finds my voice to be quite feeble - though I made sure the AC blowers are not facing the mic, kept it to a minimum or switched off).

Thinking of taking it back to Sandhya (reseller I picked up this HU in Chennai) or Technokrats to have it looked at when upgrading the other components (speakers and adding a sub with amp).

Hi guys, I installed the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 system in my Vento TDi HL 2 days back. The System in itself is really nice with good features. However I found certain issues with it.

Firstly, earlier I was using RCD 310 along with 9w7 bluetooth unit. In that setup the phone used to get paired with the system even if the system was turned off and when a call was received it would turn on in the phone mode. In the Blaupunkt unit the phone gets paired only if the system is turned on and as soon as you turn the system off the bluetooth connection is lost.

Secondly, in my old system I could answer and disconnect the calls using the phone button on the steering wheel. In the Blaupunkt I can answer the calls using the button on the steering but I cannot disconnect the call with it. I have to use the button on the system itself for which one need to take their eye off the road. I confirmed with the people at blaupunkt who confirmed that disconnecting the calls with the steering button is not possible.

Can anybody confirm these two issues. I am still getting used to the system, will keep u guys posted on any new features or issues that I come across.

Thanks