Team-BHP - Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/134831-blaupunkt-philadelphia-835-vw-passat-others-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 3359738)
Too lazy to do it. I'll let you lead the way :p

Did the firmware upgrade sometime back but I couldn't notice any changes, truth be told. I am yet to face an issue with the unit so far. *touchwood*

The f/w upgrade went smoothly without any hiccups. The files in the compressed folder (link) has to be unzipped into a FAT32 formatted microSD card. The card goes into the MAP microSD card slot in the HU. Press Navigation from the main menu and perform the updates in this order:

1. MCU
2. MPU
3. CAN

This has been detailed in the Instructions pdf given by Blaupunkt itself. Here are some snaps from the process:

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-wp_20140301_15_37_25_pro.jpg

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-wp_20140301_15_38_23_pro.jpg

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-wp_20140301_15_38_38_pro.jpg

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-wp_20140301_15_41_12_pro.jpg

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-wp_20140301_15_47_44_pro.jpg

I really wish Blaupunkt gave us better fonts and a UI instead of this; a la the RCD 510/RNS 510. Has that upmarket feel to it.

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-vw_rcd510.jpg

I bit the bullet and picked up the philadelphia 835 from a local dealer who gave it to me at 42k. I have installed the HU on my Yeti and will be adding a few a faceplate as both the Yeti and the Laura need the faceplate to have some alterations. I will be installing the polk audio dxi 6502 this sunday. The HU is brilliant, however i am unable to update the HU, i think there maybe a problem in the micro SD card i used, will be trying out today and will let you guys know if the result. I am enclosing an image of the current state the HU has been installed. The HU installation is a DIY attempt and did go well but i am not trying to do the same for the speakers and hence getting a professional installation with damping, will post photos later this weekend once it has been done.

New Update for Blaupunkt Philadelphia (27th March'2014):
LINK

Using it since the last 4 months, works great so far :)

Using this as boot logo :
Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-logo.jpg

Just figured out that long pressing the SETUP button for a few seconds will turn off the display. Discovered it accidentally yesterday. This will not turn off the backlighting however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjax (Post 3390353)
I am enclosing an image of the current state the HU has been installed.

Images missing! :p

I have too much interference in rear view camera ,
Horizontal bands + noise is everywhere.
Installed a DHC rear view camera (I have heard good things about it)
What other thing can possibly go wrong in installation ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 (Post 3431773)
I have too much interference in rear view camera ,

Horizontal bands + noise is everywhere. ...

The yellow connector from the camera must be sitting loosely at the socket. Hope there is no loose connection within the camera.

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP App

Hi, I have a small question for all the 835 owners.

1. Does the button backlight on the head unit turn Off/On with the rest of the buttons in the car. i.e does the backlight turn on when you turn on the headlights in the car.
If yes, can you please post a picture. :)

2. What kind of reversing camera works best with the head unit. Is it a hassle free experience?

3. The Maps that come free with the unit are one time maps or are the updates also free?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean (Post 3447347)
Hi, I have a small question for all the 835 owners.

1. Does the button backlight on the head unit turn Off/On with the rest of the buttons in the car. i.e does the backlight turn on when you turn on the headlights in the car.
If yes, can you please post a picture. :)

2. What kind of reversing camera works best with the head unit. Is it a hassle free experience?

3. The Maps that come free with the unit are one time maps or are the updates also free?

1. I need to check this. Will check and update
2. I think any camera will work fine. I have the one mounted above the number plate. Works perfectly. The button on the touchscreen allows you to toggle between Sensor and Camera view.
3. Updates are not free. Needs to be purchased.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3449105)
2. I think any camera will work fine. I have the one mounted above the number plate. Works perfectly. The button on the touchscreen allows you to toggle between Sensor and Camera view.
3. Updates are not free. Needs to be purchased.

Hi Rajeevraj, Thanks for the response.

Please update me regarding the button back light feature ASAP.

Thanks

New updates have come for the system. :)

As per the change log:

Quote:

SW_20140504

- improved: system stability improved, in some rare cases CE69 ERROR may occur and you have to press RESET KEY
- improved: compatibility with some iGO navigation software versions

SW_20140520

- improved: brighness setup
- added: log errors in case of system crash (service may request this data to analyze)
Quote:

The backlighting turns on irrespective of whether the headlights/parking lights are on. To minimise the distraction to the driver, the main display can be turned off entirely by pressing the SETUP button for 2 seconds but the buttons would still be backlit. It isn't much of a botheration TBH. :)

Quote:

This is the camera ideally suited for the VW/Skoda cars since it replaces one of the number plate lights and fits in its place.

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-1.jpg

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-2.jpg

Costs anywhere from 20-35 USD from AliExpress, China and works well. This isn't an OEM part though. The OEM VW part costs upwards of 100 USD.

Guys does this unit still make sense. I used it today on a vento and it seems fine, though a bit on the slow side. Overall it's a bit too colorful and slightly slow, but otherwise it seems to have everything that you need.

What rear and front parking sensors can be used with the 835 for a 2012 Passat.

Thx

Finally, got bluetooth streaming working on my Vento TSI's RCD 320 music system. It's a deceptively simple fix. If there is no sound and if the BT Audio setting under Media shows the song name in the display then its streaming and the problem lies with the phone. The bluetooth profile for the car, VW Radio, has its own setting for volume, which in my phone - a Blackberry Z10 - is accessed by pressing the volume up/down buttons on the side of the phone, while it is streaming. In my phone, that volume was at zero. Increasing it, fixed the problem and saved me 44k that I was preparing to spend on the Philadelphia 835.

Hi,
I want to install this on my Mitsubishi Cedia. The other options that i had in mind was the Pioneer AVIC-F60 BT (for around 5k more) or the Pioneer AVH-P8590BT (for around 10 k less).

While going through the thread i also noticed that the 835 is specifically designed for Skodas and VW. Does this in any way make it less than ideal for other cars?

Also any idea what's the ideal speaker setup for optimum performance?

I currently have kenwood 2+2 speaker set up in my Cedia so was curious if i need to get completely new speakers or could built up on the existing ones and add a couple of tweeters and additional speakers(may be)

Any help on this will be highly appreciated.please:

Thanks and Regards,
Rajesh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 3420323)
Just figured out that long pressing the SETUP button for a few seconds will turn off the display. Discovered it accidentally yesterday. This will not turn off the backlighting however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3449105)

Gannu_1, Rajeevraj - one quick question about the Blau 835 - does the PTT/mute button on the steering work with the system? My apologies if you've answered this before on this thread.

After a lot of research I'm coming around to the view that Blau 835 is the cheapest and easiest solution for CANbus compatibility in VAG cars. Although similar CAN functionality can be had with Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood with the right interface, it is an expensive affair and they need to be sourced from abroad. Add to that, the interfaces only work with the top-end systems from those brands, so you're spending as much as the Blau on the headunit alone anyhow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj981 (Post 3523228)
Hi,
I want to install this on my Mitsubishi Cedia. The other options that i had in mind was the Pioneer AVIC-F60 BT (for around 5k more) or the Pioneer AVH-P8590BT (for around 10 k less).

While going through the thread i also noticed that the 835 is specifically designed for Skodas and VW. Does this in any way make it less than ideal for other cars?

Also any idea what's the ideal speaker setup for optimum performance?

I currently have kenwood 2+2 speaker set up in my Cedia so was curious if i need to get completely new speakers or could built up on the existing ones and add a couple of tweeters and additional speakers(may be)

Any help on this will be highly appreciated.please:

Thanks and Regards,
Rajesh

Rajesh, I'm sure you can use the 835 with any car. Its just that it's designed to interface better with VAG electronics and look like an OEM headunit. That look may not work with the Cedia. The Pioneer models you mentioned look like tablet computer slabs, so they are more "neutral" looking in that sense.

I think that if you don't need CANbus compatibility you can do better with other brands. The Pioneer F60BT has a better UI and more advanced signal processing features. The last I checked, the difference between the two wasn't as much as you mentioned - the 835 was 41.5k and the F60BT was 44k.

As far as speakers go, perhaps you could get a decent pair of components for the front, while retaining the Kenwoods for the back.