Team-BHP - Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/134831-blaupunkt-philadelphia-835-vw-passat-others-9.html)

Had a question. Today I noticed that the MapMyIndia Micro SD card is missing from my Philadelphia 835 unit. Do not remember if I removed and misplaced it or it was taken by someone during service/car wash. Couple of questions:

1. What does this SD card Look like? Is it a Custom MMI Microsd, or does it look like any other SD card with manufacturer name and capacity?

2. It looks like I need to buy it again. Which all maps does the 835 support in India and is anything better than MMI?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3570261)
Had a question. Today I noticed that the MapMyIndia Micro SD card is missing from my Philadelphia 835 unit. Do not remember if I removed and misplaced it or it was taken by someone during service/car wash. Couple of questions:

1. What does this SD card Look like? Is it a Custom MMI Microsd, or does it look like any other SD card with manufacturer name and capacity?

2. It looks like I need to buy it again. Which all maps does the 835 support in India and is anything better than MMI?

I better check mine. But to answer your first question, mine is a regular 4 or 8GB microSD card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandarMax (Post 3561764)
Updated to the latest firmware version available here -

What's new in this version?

So finally upgraded the oe head unit of my 2011 Laura ambience. I was initially looking at the blaupunkt 835 and the dynavin, but landed up getting the pioneer f60-bt.*

With a dash kit it looks decent and not out of place. Using a canbus controller allows it to retain all functions (didn't need most of them as I have the ambience version) , no error codes etc.*

What I like about it:

24 bit processor (sounds fantastic)
Blue tooth integration
2 usb ports*
Apple car play works perfectly. Just plug in the phone and it shows up on the screen*
Mirror link function for android based phones.*
Touchscreen responsiveness is excellent*
Navigation*
No hanging issues or the system slowing down
Splash screen can be changed*

It's got countless other features that I cannot list. But happy going back to pioneer. Feel very comfortable using them.*

The only downside is the lack of oe looks. Otherwise it's a worthy competitor and a good alternative *in the blau/dynavin space .*

Anyone from Mumbai that wants to check out before making a decision *send me a pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.P.M (Post 3581351)
So finally upgraded the oe head unit of my 2011 Laura ambience. I was initially looking at the blaupunkt 835 and the dynavin, but landed up getting the pioneer f60-bt.* ...

Very nice - sounds like a very competent HU.
* How much did it cost?
* Did you have to buy anything separately (apart from the dash adapter)?
* Was the GPS receiver for navigation in the box?
* Who are the (India) map suppliers for navigation?
* Was CAN integrated in the Pio F60-BT?
* What did you mean by "24-bit processor"?
* Does it have Time Alignment functionality?

I assume you have used '*' to stress the points.

For some reason the (*) shows up on its own.

To answer your questions.

*about 44k with b/w
*had to buy an extra usb cable (only 1 included), rear view camera and aux cable
*gps receiver was part of the package
*map my india comes preloaded (it lacks real time traffic info like Google maps)
*a CAN accessory has to be purchased separately, costs about 50usd.
*i meant DAC
* it has time alignment built in, also has an auto/eq and time alignment feature, uses a mic (included) set it up, takes about 10mins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3570261)

To your second question. When I had the techs install this they claimed that MMI was the only compatible carrier for the BP 835. I personally haven't read that but, was told.

Just updated my 835's firmware from a November 2013 version to May 2014. Can't see very many differences other than speed-sensitive volume is now a 3 step action instead of on-off. I guess the steps translate into how aggressive the volume change is, which is good because the previous version made the music quite loud. I have cribbed about how the stock system had this and the 835 didn't.

Also the update didn't forget my personal boot logo or my paired phone. It did require me to save radio presets again though. One bug that's been fixed, is that it no longer cycles through radio stations if you select your region as Europe and have RDS on. The previous version used to that if you chose the first preset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarScream (Post 3588661)
Just updated my 835's firmware from a November 2013 version to May 2014.

The most recent one appears to be September 2014 going by the change log. Did you download an earlier version?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Changelog
SW_20130118

- first release

SW_20130402

- added: undervoltage stable, does not restart anymore during starting engine
- added: remember SHUFFLE/ REPEAT after OFF/ON
- added: set mediaplayback to pause during call
- added: show time/ track on MFD (if supportet by MFD)
- added: option to disable AM bands in settings (EUROPE (FM)/ EUROPE (AM))
- changed: default setting RADAR instead of CAMERA
- fixed: USB playback issues (display, shuffle status)
- fixed: remembers USB2 last position
- fixed: problems if user tries to connect second handset during active connection to another handset
- fixed: pop sound during change between A2DP/ USB fixed
- fixed: black screen after first power connection
- fixed: Hebrew search (phonebook)
- several bugfixes and improvements

SW_20130618

- added: possibility to switch off GALA
- added: show name/ number of caller on MFD (if supportet)
- added: mediaplayback is set to pause during MUTE
- added: SWC option (only useable with Philadelphia 835 101130391x with changed hardware)
- changed: shows playing source on MFD of NAVI is shown on TFT
- changed: new CAN software, several improvements for different cars (MFD, steering wheel remote, radar...)
- improved: better selection of keycolor (cursor matches to touch)

SW_20130912

- added: store radio stations via long press on desired station key (FM & DAB)
- added: new "X" key in multimedia lists (MP3/ CDDA) to jump back to playmask
- added: syncs DATE via RDS
- added: show version info in menu
- added: DAB ready for DAB+ Tuner Box835 1101303005 (only Philadelphia 835 101130391x with modified hardware)
- added: SRC key remembers last source (not final)
- changed: new code must be typed twice times to change it successfully
- changed: execute harder factory reset via general menu
- changed: new CAN software, several improvements for different cars (MFD, steering wheel remote, radar...)
- fixed: "skip back/ forward not possible" problem on some rare VCDs
- fixed: faulty EQ bass setting after turning off/ on
- fixed: Hebrew bluetooth issues (phonebook)

SW_20130930

- added: abort TRAFFIC temporary with RADIO key (not final)
- fixed: MP3 browsing with right encoder

SW_20131101

- improved: stability
- fixed: forgets last active source if reverse gear is engaged during whole start up of device (sometimes)

SW_20131128

- added: abort TRAFFIC/ EON TRAFFIC temporary with pressing TRAFFIC/ EON TRAFFIC on display or RADIO key
- improved: Source selection via SRC key
- improved: PHONE key toggles source now properly

SW_20140327

- added: enhanced GALA setup, now 3 steps available instead of ON/ OFF
- added: remembers last radio source (DAB/ FM) if you use RADIO key (only if DAB BOX is connected, only DAB capable devices)
- added: picture setup- LONGPRESS SETUP (until BEEP sound) during videoplayback/ reverse camera to open picture setup (brightness, contrast, saturation)
- added: fast access to brightness setup- LONGPRESS SETUP (until BEEP sound) during normal operation to open brightness setup (note: not possible if navigation is shown on display)
- added: MEDIA playback right encoder LONGPRESS in LISTMODE = FOLDER UP
- changed: MEDIA playback right encoder function changed from PAUSE to LIST
- changed: parking volume will not increase volume anymore (if set to higher volume than current volume)

SW_20140504

- improved: system stability improved, in some rare cases CE69 ERROR may occur and you have to press RESET KEY (next to EJECT)
- improved: compatibility with some iGO navigation software versions

SW_20140603

- improved: brightness setup
- added: log errors in case of system crash (service may request this data in case of system crash to support you)

SW_20140902

- improved: bluetooth compatibility
- fixed: several bugfixes and improvements

Note 1:
After update all settings are set back to their defaults (apart from navigation settings)

Note 2:
New CAN software available, if you own a car with steering wheel remote which only works in AUDIO/ MEDIA MFD mode, you may contact us for an update which enables this function permanently (only if the keys are not used for other functions of board computer!!!).

Haven't updated the firmware on my system since a while. Will do it shortly and post back the changes. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 3590839)
The most recent one appears to be September 2014 going by the change log. Did you download an earlier version?

Haven't updated the firmware on my system since a while. Will do it shortly and post back the changes. :)

No, this is the latest version from the site. It has the same change log. I was going by the date of the first component on the version info screen.

Hi Guys,

I am Finalising on a Vento TDI and am thinking of updating the HU to something better. My priority is the SQ as I am a music lover but I also need the NAV. I was offered the Caska and Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 7" Touchscreen units for 65k approx with the reversing cam. But I checked online and its available for 42xxx on snap deal. But the showroom Accessories guy told me that we would give you with 2 years warranty which you won't get online (which I later checked and is false as you get 2 years warranty on snap deal also) and also they won't give you proper harnessing connectors which just fixes to the existing wires like plug and play, again which I think is BS as the harnessing and connectors and stuff should be standard with all units.

Correct me If I am wrong guys and help a Bhpian bro save some bucks which the VW showroom guys are trying to loot! lol:

I also heard that the 835 lags and hangs. Is that correct? If yes, is there a better option then? Also if I get it from snap deal or some local dealer later on, will it be as easy to install and also can I get MMI maps instead of the Garmin maps offered with VW Blaupunkt units as I am already using MMI maps and think they are pretty good. also hows the iPhone connectivity? I use a 64 GB iPhone 5 and the XUV HU (Nippon) cannot handle it properly and often disconnects when playing music from it and so I end up playing via Bluetooth most of the time.

I am also thinking of getting wood finish inserts surrounding the HU and door panels. Had seen on a Rapid display car and it looked classy. So If I get it installed from the dealer, will it be a problem when I get the HU replaced later on? Though the dealer said that its just attached through clips like the existing black plastic one. So it can be removed and re attached easily.

One last thing. If I get the HU from outside, should I get the reverse cam also then only from outside or from the dealer. I am asking as sometimes the dealer provided accessories are better comparatively as I have experienced on my XUV. The night vision reverse cam is just superb on it and is of great convenience.

I was also offered Focal components in the front and coaxials at the back for some 22k, which again I am thinking must be higher than market rate so not going for it and will get some good speakers later on with the HU and shall ask in the proper thread after I get the car. I am practically a noob compared to the knowledge some of you here on the forum have so I need some proper advice.

Thanks a lot. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by magikrider (Post 3596197)
Hi Guys,

I am Finalising on a Vento TDI and am thinking of updating the HU to something better. My priority is the SQ as I am a music lover but I also need the NAV. I was offered the Caska and Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 7" Touchscreen units for 65k approx with the reversing cam. But I checked online and its available for 42xxx on snap deal. But the showroom Accessories guy told me that we would give you with 2 years warranty which you won't get online (which I later checked and is false as you get 2 years warranty on snap deal also) and also they won't give you proper harnessing connectors which just fixes to the existing wires like plug and play, again which I think is BS as the harnessing and connectors and stuff should be standard with all units.

Correct me If I am wrong guys and help a Bhpian bro save some bucks which the VW showroom guys are trying to loot! lol:

You are correct. The 835 is totally plug and play and there is nothing additional required. Most of us who installed it recently did it from outside and not from the showroom. 65K is definitely highly overpriced. The snapdeal price is in line with the actual market price.

Quote:

I also heard that the 835 lags and hangs. Is that correct? If yes, is there a better option then? Also if I get it from snap deal or some local dealer later on, will it be as easy to install and also can I get MMI maps instead of the Garmin maps offered with VW Blaupunkt units as I am already using MMI maps and think they are pretty good.

Not really. I have not faced any hangs. Sometimes it does lag a little but nothing to really cause a worry. When you purchase from outside, the unit comes with MMI maps as default. Otherwise also you can purchase the MMI maps micro sd from MMI and insert it. Will work fine. If you contact Blaupunkt India via their facebook page, they will direct you to their authorized seller and installer. They will come to your place and install it.

The other recent option that has come up is the Dynavin N6. You can refer the detailed review thread on this unit by bhpian ajaypjayaraj

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...koda-cars.html

Quote:

One last thing. If I get the HU from outside, should I get the reverse cam also then only from outside or from the dealer. I am asking as sometimes the dealer provided accessories are better comparatively as I have experienced on my XUV. The night vision reverse cam is just superb on it and is of great convenience.

I don't think that the reverse cam from the dealer would be significantly better/different from outside, you should be able to get the same unit outside at a cheaper price. I installed the reverse cam also along with the 835 from outside. But one thing to take care is that the installer should not cut any wires when installing the reverse camera. Also for the reverse camera, there is more work involved like screwing it properly, taking the right connection for power and taking the wire to the HU correctly. So in hindsight I felt for better peace of mind it would have been better to get it done from dealer.

Another point is that the 835 supports the Optical Parking Display and displays sensor data on the HU. So I have not felt a a real need for the reverse camera. Probably you can get the HU from outside and later if you feel the need for the camera, get it done from the dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3596244)
The other recent option that has come up is the Dynavin N6. You can refer the detailed review thread on this unit by bhpian ajaypjayaraj

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...koda-cars.html

Now this was an interesting link. But I think I can go with it after reading few more reviews and opinions and comparison with the 835. Though how is the sound quality of the 835? I don't prefer very loud music but richer and clearer sound.

Also Will get the unit and fitted it from outside only now If I get the 835, as 60-65k is really way too much. Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3596244)
I don't think that the reverse cam from the dealer would be significantly better/different from outside, you should be able to get the same unit outside at a cheaper price. I installed the reverse cam also along with the 835 from outside. But one thing to take care is that the installer should not cut any wires when installing the reverse camera. Also for the reverse camera, there is more work involved like screwing it properly, taking the right connection for power and taking the wire to the HU correctly. So in hindsight I felt for better peace of mind it would have been better to get it done from dealer.

Another point is that the 835 supports the Optical Parking Display and displays sensor data on the HU. So I have not felt a a real need for the reverse camera. Probably you can get the HU from outside and later if you feel the need for the camera, get it done from the dealer.

Yeah It is a safer bet to get the reverse camera from the dealer later on. But I think they will have the one which they drill into the bumper and not like the one you have which you have installed above the number plate in place of one light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magikrider (Post 3596839)
Though how is the sound quality of the 835? I don't prefer very loud music but richer and clearer sound.

I upgraded on Day 1. So no comparison with the OEM Unit. From what I have read, I don't think the 835 sound quality is significantly better than the OEM unit. For that I think the first upgrade would need to be the speakers.

More than sound quality, my reasons for upgrading were the MMI Navigation. Reverse Cam and Park Assist and support for Video.

Quote:

Hi Guys,

I also heard that the 835 lags and hangs. Is that correct? If yes, is there a better option then? Also if I get it from snap deal or some local dealer later on, will it be as easy to install and also can I get MMI maps instead of the Garmin maps offered with VW Blaupunkt units as I am already using MMI maps and think they are pretty good. also hows the iPhone connectivity? I use a 64 GB iPhone 5 and the XUV HU (Nippon) cannot handle it properly and often disconnects when playing music from it and so I end up playing via Bluetooth most of the time.

I was also offered Focal components in the front and coaxials at the back for some 22k, which again I am thinking must be higher than market rate so not going for it and will get some good speakers later on with the HU and shall ask in the proper thread after I get the car. I am practically a noob compared to the knowledge some of you here on the forum have so I need some proper advice.

To answer your questions topic wise:

Cost: 60-65k is daylight robbery. Mine cost me 41k. At that time the dealer was offering it for 50k.

Harness: the box comes with three different types of harnesses to work with VW cars in India. Full CANBUS block connector for Jetta, Vento/Polo Highline ISO with CANBUS cable, non-CANBUS ISO cable for Vento/Polo Trendline. With these, it's very straight forward to connect. It's a DIY job.

Lags: Mine has never lagged or hung. I have the latest firmware.

MMI: mine came with MMI maps.

iPhone 5: can't comment as I don't use an iPhone but for whatever it's worth, works fine with 5th-gen iPod and via Bluetooth streaming from my phone.

Reverse camera: I use an Autocop reversing camera supplied by the installer for Rs. 1,500. Works fine in any light.

Speakers: I have four Focal Access coaxials with directional tweeters in the doors. They cost me 12k (6k a pair).

Quote:

Originally Posted by magikrider (Post 3596839)
Now this was an interesting link. But I think I can go with it after reading few more reviews and opinions and comparison with the 835. Though how is the sound quality of the 835? I don't prefer very loud music but richer and clearer sound.

Also Will get the unit and fitted it from outside only now If I get the 835, as 60-65k is really way too much. Thanks for the info.

Yeah It is a safer bet to get the reverse camera from the dealer later on. But I think they will have the one which they drill into the bumper and not like the one you have which you have installed above the number plate in place of one light.

I'd go with Blau for a very simple reason. It's an established brand with established procedures. Before you buy, send a message to Blau via their Facebook page and ask who is their authorized dealer in your city. It maybe cheaper to go to an authorized shop rather than buying from Snapdeal and then paying an installer separately. It was for me.

For me, the Blau's sound is clearer and less boomy than the stock system. And I first upgraded the speakers, so I'm comparing like to like.

After gathering a wealth of information from team-bhp I booked a Polo GT TSI and the car will be delivered next week. I was contemplating upgrading to the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 as that is the upgrade offered by my dealer and he is giving me a price of 44000 without the camera. I will not be upgrading the speakers for fear of warranty being rejected. Will I perceive any improvement in sound from the stock RCD 320. The dealer has warned me that the PDC will not integrate with this system and and that neither will the camera they are working on a solution with Volkswagen.