Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2015, 19:55   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
After gathering a wealth of information from team-bhp I booked a Polo GT TSI and the car will be delivered next week. I was contemplating upgrading to the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 as that is the upgrade offered by my dealer and he is giving me a price of 44000 without the camera. I will not be upgrading the speakers for fear of warranty being rejected. Will I perceive any improvement in sound from the stock RCD 320. The dealer has warned me that the PDC will not integrate with this system and and that neither will the camera they are working on a solution with Volkswagen.
Based on previous posts here, there is probably some improvement in the sound quality. But not really enough to warranty an upgrade just for the sound quality.

The main reason for going for the 835 would be the Video/Navigation features and the integration with reverse sensors and camera. I understand that the Park Assist display on the HU does not work with the new polo/vento, but the camera integration should work.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 20:07   #137
a2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Based on previous posts here, there is probably some improvement in the sound quality. But not really enough to warranty an upgrade just for the sound quality.

The main reason for going for the 835 would be the Video/Navigation features and the integration with reverse sensors and camera. I understand that the Park Assist display on the HU does not work with the new polo/vento, but the camera integration should work.
As per the dealer the camera integration will not be possible as that have to cut wires and drill holes which would void the warranty and hence they have stopped selling the camera for the blaupunkt system with the new GT TSI. I am really wary about voicing the warranty as I have purchased the extended warranty as well and with the reliability of the DSG under question I prefer to be a bit conservative in doing things which would lead to a warranty refusal.
Old 21st January 2015, 21:13   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As per the dealer the camera integration will not be possible as that have to cut wires and drill holes which would void the warranty and hence they have stopped selling the camera for the blaupunkt system with the new GT TSI. I am really wary about voicing the warranty as I have purchased the extended warranty as well and with the reliability of the DSG under question I prefer to be a bit conservative in doing things which would lead to a warranty refusal.
Strange. Normally dealers say these warranty concerns for work done outside the dealership. They normally do stuff like camera. VW itself has provided reverse camera as part of their offers multiple times. There is no wire cutting required, they manage it with a relay (not sure about the technical details).

Anyway, reverse cam is not really needed for a polo, so as you mentioned, better to be safe than sorry.
Old 29th January 2015, 19:07   #139
BHPian

I have been having this HU from Nov 2013. Awesome experience. I have few queries for the fellow owners here

1. Have you tried playing videos from iPhone or any device? What format does it support?
2. How easy is the upgrade? Can it be done via any USB or only via Nav? Do I just need to place the zip folder contents and choose the upgrade option from Nav menu.

Any help will be appreciated
Old 15th February 2015, 19:55   #140
BANNED

Need help from Gurus, I am getting Blaupunkt Philadelphia installed in my Rapid through showroom guys just to be on safer side for warranty etc. dealer is telling me something about one link cable which runs from steering to the system to retain the steering controls and asking 8K for that cable, my doubt is is it true and really that cable costs that much? 49K for the system and 8K for the cable I am really not able to digest that. Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2015, 20:12   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
dealer is telling me something about one link cable which runs from steering to the system to retain the steering controls and asking 8K for that cable
The Philadelphia 835 comes with the required harness for a complete retrofit and no additional cables or harness is required. Looks like the dealer is taking you for a ride. I am not sure what is the fuss about the warranty if the dealership doesn't install the HU. No wires are spliced and taped so you are on the safe side.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 20:16   #142
BANNED

Thanks Gannu_1 sent a mail to dealer to get a written confirmation on the same, else I'll be taking it to my old trusted installer, he knows what he is doing
Old 15th February 2015, 20:42   #143
Team-BHP Support

Do keep us posted on how it goes Ajay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
2. How easy is the upgrade? Can it be done via any USB or only via Nav? Do I just need to place the zip folder contents and choose the upgrade option from Nav menu.
Upgrading is very easy. I've posted the procedure here. Have a look!

Upgrading the firmware is possible only via the mSD card and not through the USB ports, as suggested by Blaupunkt.
Old 18th February 2015, 13:39   #144
a2k
BHPian

Just got the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 system installed by the dealer. For people in Chennai who are interested Sundaram Volkswagen is currently running an offer on it for 44000. This is the best price from have seen from a VW dealer.

So far my personal opinion is I feel it is not worth the money spent. I don't see a huge quality in sound difference. I have not changed my stock speakers though.

1. I got the iGo navigation from Ayana Navigation Solutions for the Navigation. For some reason it cannot find my new house address. Can an update be purchased for this?
2. In the navigation menu I see an option to get get the latest nav updates from Naviextras.com. Is that update for India as well or only for countries abroad.
3. In General setting there is an option called SWC and there are 8 buttons. Some of the steering wheel controls work with the unit already. Is this for mapping the rest. Has anyone used this?
4. The buetooth mic has both an internal and external option and it works on both. What is the difference and which one should be used?
5. Any luck with other TSI owners getting the PDC and climate control to work with the Phladelphia 835 via the adapter?
Old 3rd March 2015, 16:40   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So far my personal opinion is I feel it is not worth the money spent. I don't see a huge quality in sound difference. I have not changed my stock speakers though.

1. I got the iGo navigation from Ayana Navigation Solutions for the Navigation. For some reason it cannot find my new house address. Can an update be purchased for this?
2. In the navigation menu I see an option to get get the latest nav updates from Naviextras.com. Is that update for India as well or only for countries abroad.
3. In General setting there is an option called SWC and there are 8 buttons. Some of the steering wheel controls work with the unit already. Is this for mapping the rest. Has anyone used this?
4. The buetooth mic has both an internal and external option and it works on both. What is the difference and which one should be used?
5. Any luck with other TSI owners getting the PDC and climate control to work with the Phladelphia 835 via the adapter?
The stock speakers in any car are the weakest link in an audio set up. Also the speakers are optimized to hide the failings of the stock audio system. The Blau 835 can sound very good if you feed it good source music and play around with the equalizer settings a bit. But you need good speakers. The stock VW ones (Fosters, made in China IIRC) are better than ones found in Honda but they are still very poor, single paper cone type.

1. I think you've got a European set. The Indian ones come with Map my India.
3. Never messed with SWC settings. All steering buttons worked from the get go.
4. An external mic, if installed, is better. My voice is distant with the internal mic, folks on the other end of the line have told me. That could also be because the internal mic is designed for left-hand drive cars and is positioned as such on the system.
5. Climate control has never worked with the Polo/Vento. PDC used to but then VW changed the module to a plain audible one because the stock RCD320 made no use of the advanced one. You can change the module but trying to wire it up with the car's CANBUS is going to be a massive headache and definitely a warranty voiding job. Just get a camera, which is a very simple affair - video-out signal goes from the camera into the video-in socket of the Blau 835. There is no wire cutting involved (and even if there was, the camera and the 835 aren't VW parts.)

P.S. also the speakers need wire cutting because VW uses proprietary connectors for its stock speakers. But all this is hidden underneath the door panel, so VW would never know that the speakers have been changed unless they open the door panel. Now, god forbid, you have a DSG failure in warranty, their really is no reason for them to open the door panel.
Warranty was one reason I went for Focal co-axials with directional tweeters in the doors. A component set up with tweeters mounted on the dash or A-pillar would make it apparent that the speakers have been changed.

Last edited by StarScream : 3rd March 2015 at 16:56.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:02   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
P.S. also the speakers need wire cutting because VW uses proprietary connectors for its stock speakers. But all this is hidden underneath the door panel, so VW would never know that the speakers have been changed unless they open the door panel. Now, god forbid, you have a DSG failure in warranty, their really is no reason for them to open the door panel.
Warranty was one reason I went for Focal co-axials with directional tweeters in the doors. A component set up with tweeters mounted on the dash or A-pillar would make it apparent that the speakers have been changed.
No you dont actully have to cut the speaker cables. These days installers get the original VW connectors and crimp them to the speaker side cable. After that its just plug and play.
Old 3rd March 2015, 18:38   #147
a2k
BHPian

Quote:
The stock speakers in any car are the weakest link in an audio set up. Also the speakers are optimized to hide the failings of the stock audio system. The Blau 835 can sound very good if you feed it good source music and play around with the equalizer settings a bit. But you need good speakers. The stock VW ones (Fosters, made in China IIRC) are better than ones found in Honda but they are still very poor, single paper cone type.

1. I think you've got a European set. The Indian ones come with Map my India.
3. Never messed with SWC settings. All steering buttons worked from the get go.
4. An external mic, if installed, is better. My voice is distant with the internal mic, folks on the other end of the line have told me. That could also be because the internal mic is designed for left-hand drive cars and is positioned as such on the system.
5. Climate control has never worked with the Polo/Vento. PDC used to but then VW changed the module to a plain audible one because the stock RCD320 made no use of the advanced one. You can change the module but trying to wire it up with the car's CANBUS is going to be a massive headache and definitely a warranty voiding job. Just get a camera, which is a very simple affair - video-out signal goes from the camera into the video-in socket of the Blau 835. There is no wire cutting involved (and even if there was, the camera and the 835 aren't VW parts.)

Thank you very much for the reply. Can you kindly point me to the exact model name and number of the Focal installed by you. Also can you kindly let me know of a good reversing camera - Does Blaupunkt make one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
No you dont actully have to cut the speaker cables. These days installers get the original VW connectors and crimp them to the speaker side cable. After that its just plug and play.
Can you kindly point me to a dealer in Chennai who installs it this way so my warranty is not void.
Old 4th March 2015, 13:08   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I don't understand this. The connection is proprietary on both sides i.e. speaker wire and speaker. So the end of the wire has to be cut for it to be crimped and connected to the after-market speaker. At least that's what I meant by cutting.

Quote:
Thank you very much for the reply. Can you kindly point me to the exact model name and number of the Focal installed by you. Also can you kindly let me know of a good reversing camera - Does Blaupunkt make one?
It was these:
http://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/96...050750609.html
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 13:54   #149
Senior - BHPian

a2k, I missed your reverse camera question. The one installed in my car is from Autocop - the kind that goes into a hole in the rear bumper. Cost me 1,100 or so.
Old 4th March 2015, 14:27   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't understand this. The connection is proprietary on both sides i.e. speaker wire and speaker. So the end of the wire has to be cut for it to be crimped and connected to the after-market speaker. At least that's what I meant by cutting.
Nope. Not needed if you use a pair of male speaker leads like these:

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-arpc28071.jpg
Pic credit: Google images

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-pa040009.jpg
Pic credit: BHPian Chethan's ownership thread
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks