Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2015, 14:53   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nope. Not needed if you use a pair of male speaker leads like these:
Ahh thanks. Now I get it. I've never seen that. All in all, I still think whichever method one chooses, it's a very minor issue I mean it's not like messing with wiring in the engine.
Old 5th March 2015, 07:34   #152
a2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
a2k, I missed your reverse camera question. The one installed in my car is from Autocop - the kind that goes into a hole in the rear bumper. Cost me 1,100 or so.
Starcream,, I was wondering if there was a reversing camera made by blaupunkt themselves. Also Did installation of reverse camera cause any wire cutting?

Quote:
I don't understand this. The connection is proprietary on both sides i.e. speaker wire and speaker. So the end of the wire has to be cut for it to be crimped and connected to the after-market speaker. At least that's what I meant by cutting.

It was these:
http://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/96...050750609.html
Staracream, Any particular reason you did not go in for these speakers from focal which are custom made for VW by focal and also have a slightly better frequent response. My local dealer recommended these speakers citing there will be no wire cutting with these speakers.

http://www.focal.com/en/dedicated-dr...ic-165-vw.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nope. Not needed if you use a pair of male speaker leads like these:

Gannu,

Where can I purchase these speaker leads in India. I see a U.S store crutchfield.com selling these but they won't ship to India.

http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_1207105...s.html?tp=3097

Attachment 1346391
Pic credit: Google images

Attachment 1346392
Pic credit: BHPian Chethan's ownership thread
Old 5th March 2015, 11:10   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
Starcream,, I was wondering if there was a reversing camera made by blaupunkt themselves. Also Did installation of reverse camera cause any wire cutting?

Staracream, Any particular reason you did not go in for these speakers from focal which are custom made for VW by focal and also have a slightly better frequent response. My local dealer recommended these speakers citing there will be no wire cutting with these speakers.

http://www.focal.com/en/dedicated-dr...ic-165-vw.html
Like I said earlier, installation of the reversing camera is a straight-forward job and doesn't entail any wire cutting. I have no idea if Blau makes a camera.

If your dealer has those speakers, please use them by all means. They look pretty similar to the CA 1s anyway. My installer didn't have these, so I chose from what he had in stock.

Last edited by StarScream : 5th March 2015 at 11:12.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 16:44   #154
BHPian

I came across a new gen OEM VW head unit used in the VW Sharan (Pic attached), displayed at Geneva.
Looks like it can fit the current gen VW models and has additional features of the newer models i.e Proximity sensor etc. Can anyone find more info about this unit, model no. etc?

I tried but couldn't find anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-sharan-radio.jpg  

Old 7th March 2015, 18:03   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
I came across a new gen OEM VW head unit used in the VW Sharan (Pic attached), displayed at Geneva.
Looks like it can fit the current gen VW models and has additional features of the newer models i.e Proximity sensor etc. Can anyone find more info about this unit, model no. etc?

I don't think this will fit the current gen. VWs in India. Among the VAG models launched in India, new Octavia has the new gen. HU. The one you shared will be able to fit in the new Octavia. It looks slightly bigger in dimension than the older HUs like RCD 510, RNS 510, etc.

Edit: On observing closer, it seems to be the 2015 Amundsen (that is what Skoda calls it) HU. That should fit in all current generation VW/Skodas I guess.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 7th March 2015 at 18:24. Reason: Added info.
Old 7th March 2015, 19:02   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I don't think this will fit the current gen. VWs in India. Among the VAG models launched in India, new Octavia has the new gen. HU. The one you shared will be able to fit in the new Octavia. It looks slightly bigger in dimension than the older HUs like RCD 510, RNS 510, etc.

Edit: On observing closer, it seems to be the 2015 Amundsen (that is what Skoda calls it) HU. That should fit in all current generation VW/Skodas I guess.
Yeah, I am pretty sure it would fit as If you search for 2013 Sharan interior on google, the layout is exactly the same and the cavity for the HU looks equally big. You are right its very similar to Skoda amundsen ( Skoda font sans VW font), looks like a great HU to me. Dont know how much they would cost.

Edit: some more search reveals its the new look Bolero and Amundsen, They look the same, its just the Amundsen has Nav and bolero doesn't but both the units have moved to a 4 button design on either side. Bolero earlier had 3 buttons on either side if I am not wrong.

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 7th March 2015 at 19:06.
Old 22nd March 2015, 12:15   #157
Senior - BHPian

Many folks have asked about the sound quality and radio reception of the Blau 835. Here is a video to demonstrate and this is radio reception in my basement! Better music sources sound better:
Old 29th March 2015, 21:38   #158
BANNED

Sorry for the delay, here's the blaupunkt philadelphia headunit in my car
Attached Thumbnails
Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-1427645258528.jpg  

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-1427645276119.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2015, 13:08   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
For some reason the (*) shows up on its own.

To answer your questions.

*about 44k with b/w
*had to buy an extra usb cable (only 1 included), rear view camera and aux cable
*gps receiver was part of the package
*map my india comes preloaded (it lacks real time traffic info like Google maps)
*a CAN accessory has to be purchased separately, costs about 50usd.
*i meant DAC
* it has time alignment built in, also has an auto/eq and time alignment feature, uses a mic (included) set it up, takes about 10mins.
Sounds good but dont you think its too expensive?
Old 3rd April 2015, 16:58   #160

Hello guys,
I purchased a VW Vento 1.6 TDI highline last week and bought the Philadelphia 835 for INR 43000 from the dealer - EVM.

Yes, I went through team-bhp like I was studying for my boards. In fact, I had to directly quote from here on more than one occasion when they did try to pull a fast one.
All's well so far.

Have one very important question:
1) My unit only seems to play video in AVI format i.e:no MP4,
(Is it because I need to update the firmware or is it something else entirely?)

and a question of lesser importance,
2) I did not receive a users manual or a warranty card - is this standard or should i approach them again for it?

On another note, as I was browsing through a manual online, I noticed that it recommends visiting www.naviextras.com within one month of first using the GPS for a free update -
I have visited the site, downloaded the app, connected the microSD and backed up the data and am currently updating - it has been just over an hour and still updating (definitely a data muncher).

Could someone please shed some light about the MP4 compatibility?

Thank you.
Old 10th April 2015, 06:39   #161
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post

Quote:
Yeah, I am pretty sure it would fit as If you search for 2013 Sharan interior on google, the layout is exactly the same and the cavity for the HU looks equally big. You are right its very similar to Skoda amundsen ( Skoda font sans VW font), looks like a great HU to me. Dont know how much they would cost.

Edit: some more search reveals its the new look Bolero and Amundsen, They look the same, its just the Amundsen has Nav and bolero doesn't but both the units have moved to a 4 button design on either side. Bolero earlier had 3 buttons on either side if I am not wrong.
I checked out the chances of retrofitting the new Amundsen 2015 unit, as by size and shape it seems to be a direct swap, and this is what I could find out. The new Amundsen (2015) is based on the new MIB infotainment system. It will fit physically in the current generation cars too but it might work on the cars with the new MIB infotainment system only.

In India, only the new Octavia has this new system. Other Skoda models and VWs as of now does not have the new MIB infotainment system (Abroad, new Yeti and VWs come with it already though). So it might not work for the current gen. VW & Skoda models in India except the Octavia which already comes with MIB system but with a different HU (New Bolero I guess).

Now if there is a way to work around this compatibility issue between old and new infotainment systems by adding a adaptor unit or something is yet to be found out. It is not plug n play for sure unless the car is based on MIB infotainment system.

Below are images from Skoda Yeti page from Skoda international website. You can see both Bolero Radio and Amundsen Navigation HUs in the old shape but with the new MIB system. I wish these were compatible with older cars too.
Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-2015-bolero-radio.jpg
Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?-2015-amundsed-navigation.jpg

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 10th April 2015 at 06:56. Reason: Added info.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 15:52   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Question to the 835 users. Initially I had only one phone paired to the unit and the connection and stability were very good.

Recently paired my wife's and brothers phone also. Since then I noticed that it takes a long time to recognize and connect to my phone (even when the other phones are not in range) and even frequently disconnects. Anybody else facing such an issue?
Old 6th May 2015, 10:39   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many folks have asked about the sound quality and radio reception of the Blau 835. Here is a video to demonstrate and this is radio reception in my basement! Better music sources sound better:
That sounds pretty good. Did you also upgrade the speakers and add a woofer ?

Which car do you have it on ?
Old 6th May 2015, 11:12   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
That sounds pretty good. Did you also upgrade the speakers and add a woofer ?

Which car do you have it on ?
Speakers, yes, to Focal co-axials. No subwoofer. It's a Vento TSI.

Last edited by StarScream : 6th May 2015 at 11:19.
Old 16th July 2015, 02:37   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Question to the 835 users. Initially I had only one phone paired to the unit and the connection and stability were very good.

Recently paired my wife's and brothers phone also. Since then I noticed that it takes a long time to recognize and connect to my phone (even when the other phones are not in range) and even frequently disconnects. Anybody else facing such an issue?
Hello Rajeevraj,

I am using Blau's 835 in my vento TDI for quite a while. In fact, i bought this konekt edition only because of this HU. Referring to your query, I never faced such an issue so far. 3 phones were paired to this HU and it gets automatically connected to the one when only one of us is in the car. When all 3 aboard or more than one , we need to choose which one to connect.

Was your software up to date? I guess the recent patch was released in may or june which included a Bluetooth version update. Please update it if not done already.
diyaneesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks