Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 15:37   #1
BHPian

Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?

The New VW Passat has been a pleasure to drive for my uncle.
It has horde of creature comforts, and even after having owned it for almost 9 months, he still finds new stuff with his car

The only grouse has been a below average audio experience.
So he's been on the lookout for a good replacement HU, with new speakers.
Main requirements:
  • Really good SQ
  • GPS Navigation
  • OEM looks
  • USB and Aux-In

As I'm a novice at this, I could only do a Google search to help him out.
He has seen the Mega Audio OE replacement for Volkswagen Mega Audio OE Replacement

I have advised him against this going by the general impression received from fellow BHPians and others.

On further searching, I came across Blaupunkt Phildelphia 835.
Blaupunkt Philedelphia 835

Knowing it is a Genuine Blaupunkt product creates a better impression, and so far I have gotten to know of an approximate 10% difference in price of Mega Audio vs. Blaupunkt. Which is acceptable, and frankly a little surprising, considering it is essentially a comparison between Chinese & German development & manufacturing!

Are there other alternatives for OE Replacement HUs for VW Passat?
Can the gurus here comment on their experience with/views on the Blaupunkt HU?
And what would be a good SQ setup for replacement speakers, amp, woofers etc.?

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 8th April 2013 at 15:46.
Old 8th April 2013, 16:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
The only grouse has been a below average audio experience.
So he's been on the lookout for a good replacement HU, with new speakers.
Main requirements:
  • Really good SQ
  • GPS Navigation
  • OEM looks
  • USB and Aux-In
Sam
Sam
Have you considered likes of Pioneer , Kenwood , Sony as well. Nearly all the top auto-consumer audio brands would have a product that would tick most boxes. For really good SQ - sky's the limit, so it's more a matter of where the purse faints although the heart wants more..
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 17:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Sam
Have you considered likes of Pioneer , Kenwood , Sony as well. For really good SQ - sky's the limit, so it's more a matter of where the purse faints although the heart wants more..
OE looks are important. Pioneer, Sony etc. Wouldn't be able to provide that, unfortunately.

Sam
Old 8th April 2013, 18:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
... on the lookout for a good replacement HU, with new speakers.
... approximate 10% difference in price of Mega Audio vs. Blaupunkt. Which is acceptable, and frankly a little surprising, considering it is essentially a comparison between Chinese & German development & manufacturing!...
10% price difference between a China-design product and a Blaupunkt should be considered a rip-off since Mega Audio would have invested less than 1% of what went into a Blau. Couple that with comparison of sound quality and A.S.S., and the rip-off should be very easy to understand. The only thing you would need to fit an aftermarket HU and have OE look, would be a fascia adapter costing a few hundred.

Go step by step - and don't change the HU first.

First, audition components of different brands and select one that sounds the best to your (or your uncle's) ears. This should give you the most improvement in the front image / SQ. This is necessary because you should have a good point of reference when you change the HU.

VW's OE HU is also a Blau or Bosch (not sure, check the sticker on the HU), so the comparison with a replacement would be on the basis of features provided in the replacement HU. Stay away from Mega Audio and such - what should matter most to your uncle would be an established service network, not convenience of buying something.

Last edited by DerAlte : 8th April 2013 at 18:40.
DerAlte is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 18:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting topic Samarth. Even I would be interested with expert views on the same as the same Blaupunkt system could be integrated into the Skoda Superb. I think the Blaupunkt should be the best bet in terms of quality and OE integration.

After reading its specs, I am only concerned about the integration of the Blaupunkt system with the bluetooth module as both the Passat and the Superb come with in-built BT modules. So how would those be integrated and also about the display of this system in the MID of these cars. These are some of the unanswered queries.

Let me know the sourcing of this system in India and also the pricing if you get hold of these.

PS - I would also be quite interested in a similar system for my Fortuner (old model) that can give a similar OE integration, if anyone has any suggestions.

Last edited by dkaile : 8th April 2013 at 18:41.
Old 9th April 2013, 11:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
After reading its specs, I am only concerned about the integration of the Blaupunkt system with the bluetooth module as both the Passat and the Superb come with in-built BT modules. So how would those be integrated and also about the display of this system in the MID of these cars. These are some of the unanswered queries.
hi dkaile :
my understanding is that the bluetooth compatible HU of Blaupunkt or other brand, would offer dial-out and phone/call management facility once paired with the phone. Such a HU would offer its own interface to perform the pairing and call-management functions.

I read from the following Passat link (sorry I have not seen the car) , that the car's Bluetooth setup, offers the same functionality of phone pairing and call-management.

So is your question really about having to ensure two ways of phone pairing and call management -
a) via the new HU interface
b) via the car's native interface described on the link above.

Installing the HU only - makes the car's native interface dysfunctional.

In case you want both options, , then an adapter/interface is possibly needed between the car's native interface and the HU - there are a few manufacturers who have products for this need.

One of these manufacturers (link ) supplied the steering stalk controls (vol up/down, track up/down) adapter when I changed my stock HU to a Pioneer unit on my Innova.
If you go to a reputable car-audio installer, they would be able to advise you on what products are available to perform this integration. You can also write to these manufacturers with your specific needs and they should be able to say if they have something or not.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 10:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

VW's OE HU is also a Blau or Bosch (not sure, check the sticker on the HU), so the comparison with a replacement would be on the basis of features provided in the replacement HU. Stay away from Mega Audio and such - what should matter most to your uncle would be an established service network, not convenience of buying something.
VW OE HU is made by Delphi AFAIK, about the price of this Blaupunkt, I checked with my dealer, it is priced at around 40k, and I am also told that pioneer has launched a similar model called the AVIC f7121 in the Malaysian market but it is still not in India, and I think it is only compatible with the Polo and a Vento perhaps.

Last edited by 599gto : 15th April 2013 at 10:20.
Old 15th April 2013, 10:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
VW OE HU is made by Delphi AFAIK, ...
Please recheck and confirm. AFAIK VW doesn't buy anything Delphi, and their usual vendors are Blau, Bosch (after Bosch sold off Blau) and Grundig. And they buy the whole center console together from the vendor, even though the HU is available by itself as a spare.
Old 15th April 2013, 16:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Please recheck and confirm. AFAIK VW doesn't buy anything Delphi, and their usual vendors are Blau, Bosch (after Bosch sold off Blau) and Grundig. And they buy the whole center console together from the vendor, even though the HU is available by itself as a spare.
I will definitely check with my source about the manufacturer, one of my friends was getting an RCD510 taken out from a Jetta sourced from somewhere! It was him who told me that its been manufactured by Delphi!
Old 20th April 2013, 18:48   #10
BHPian

By the way, Alpine has OE-look head units for Volkswagen, see this link on the Alpine Australia site. Expensive though, $2599 and right now the Australian dollar is one of the most expensive dollars in the world.
johnjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 17:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
... Alpine has OE-look head units for Volkswagen, ...
The "OE look" is just about the faceplate adapter that one can get for <1K. Unlike other cars, VW dash front is planar and the HU opening a simple rectangle with rounded corners. Not difficult to adapt any after-market HU (2DIN Pio, Kenwood, JVC, Clarion etc.) with the faceplate adapter.
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The "OE look" is just about the faceplate adapter that one can get for <1K.
I think the OE look in this case extends to much more than being just skin deep. That Alpine unit also integrates VW steering wheel controls and even MID display which is quite an achievement in electronic laden VW cars. That is what I would call a true OE integration but its prohibitively expensive.
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... That Alpine unit also integrates VW steering wheel controls ...
Jugaad available for other HUs!

Quote:
... and even MID display ...
True, but does that justify the $2600 cost? That's more than even premium ICE systems put together (HU, 1x components, 1x coaxes, amp, sub). The difference is CAN bus connectivity - if one can find a new aftermarket Blau or Grundig unit, even that is taken care of.
Old 22nd April 2013, 19:31   #14
BHPian

How about a Caska unit if you want to maintain looks?
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
How about a Caska unit if you want to maintain looks?
And pay a very high price (more than the units from established brands) for bad sound? Why?

Caska's market is people who want a OE looks in a drop-in replacement - for people who don't want the hassle of thinking.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed