Team-BHP - DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/134966-diy-damping-figo-wurth-yoga-mats.html)

Thanks to @rjstyles69, this is a job done with inspiration from the thread
diy

Background:

Mine is the Figo base variant and I was closely watching when the central locking and the power windows were being fixed. The material used by Ford to sound proof the doors was pretty pathetic. It was just a polythene sheet with a sticky material running along the border stuck on to the metal behind the plastic door pads.

Though the Figo's cabin is pretty quiet for its segment, after seeing the polythene, I felt it would be a lot quieter if a bit of better quality material is used. Also I wanted to use the yoga mat option for the inside of the door pads to avoid any future rattles. I did not want to open the door pads frequently, so thought of doing both at one go. I wanted a cost effective solution and after reading through the exclusive Damping thread here, I finalized the wurth sheets to be the most VFM.

Most accessories shops were willing to do the damping only when a high-end audio system is being installed and not ready to take up my car, as I wanted only the damping. So I was left only with the DIY option and as I was closely watching the removal and re fixing of the door pads, I was pretty confident I could do the task myself.

The result of this job is, a comparatively quieter cabin. Probably 20% reduction in outside noise at speeds. But the most satisfactory thing was, the doors now close with a significantly better thud. Its nowhere close to what my Palio had, but a lot better than what the Figo originally had.

I will try to provide as much photos & information as possible for people willing to do this in future.

Raw Materials & Cost:

1. Wurth Sound damping mats comes as set of 6pcs - Rs 2400
2. 2 Yoga Mats @ 399 Each - Rs 798
3. 2 x 200ml Tins of Fevicol 998 Rubber adhesive. - Rs 150
4. A good pair of Scissors, couple of used toothbrushes to apply the adhesive, a marker and a few news papers to cut shape samples.

Last but not least - A shady Place, to park the car & carry out the task in this scorching chennai heat.

The Wurth Damping sheets. Sorry the adhesive and scissors did not get covered fully in the picture.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-1.jpg

The yoga mats.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-2.jpg

Now thats a pretty shady place isn't it? Our home - entrance.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-shady-place.jpg

This is the size of the yoga mat. Around 6ft x 2.5ft
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-3.jpg

Credits:

Before starting the description of the task, I would like to thank my BIL who was with me through this and helped me out with his drawing and marking skills and we were able to complete the task in close to 6hrs time.

The Work in Detail:

After acquiring all the materials required, I removed door pads on all the 4 doors and the hatch door.

Opening them is pretty straighforward. 4 Screws to be unscrewed on each of the doors and detach the lever to adjust the outside mirrors. Now the doors are holding to the pads with just plastic clips. Just pull out the plastic door pad starting from the bottom and going upwards.

This is how the front doors were sound proofed by Ford. Pathetic to say the least.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-4.jpg
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-5.jpg

Now mark & cut newspapers to ensure that we have the exact size. Better to do this before actually marking and cutting the yoga mats. Markings are enough for one of the front & rear doors as the other is the exact reverse.
Once we have the exact sizes of yoga mats cut, apply the adhesive with an old toothbrush thoroughly and stick them to the inside of the door pads.

Markings on the yoga mat.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-6.jpg

Damped Front right Door pad.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-7.jpg

Damped Front left Door pad.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-8.jpg

Damped Rear right Door pad.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-9.jpg

Damped Rear left Door pad.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-10.jpg

Damped Hatch Door pad.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-11.jpg

Now all the door pads are completed with yoga mats. It takes a couple of hours for the adhesive to completely dry and the smell to vanish. In the mean time, we started with the sound proofing with the Wurth mats.

Again its safer to take news paper markings of the doors and later cut the Wurth mats to avoid major wastage. Once all the holes are covered, the polythene sheet is fixed back as before.

Front Left door.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-12.jpg

DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-13.jpg

Front Right door.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-14.jpg

DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-15.jpg

Rear right door.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-16.jpg

DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-17.jpg

Rear Left door.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-18.jpg

DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-19.jpg

Hatch door.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-20.jpg

Now once all this is done, the door pads had nicely dried up. Re-fixed all the door pads. Extreme care should be taken while re-fixing the mirror levers.

Since the doors were open all the time, the dash board and door pads had gathered lot of dust. Applied a coat of vinyl polish and now the car is fresh and ready.

Though we were very tired at the end of it, it was a very satisfactory piece of work completed. But it would be even more satisfactory if some one else here is benefited from my thread.

Thanks a lot for reading through and hope this was useful.
I would be more than happy to answer your queries.

Note From Support: Thread moved from Assembly Line to the DIY section. Thanks for sharing!

Wow! that's a good article with a lot of pictures. :thumbs up This will definitely help others. Thanks for that.

Better sound insulation was always needed for a Ford Figo/Fiesta for their noisy diesels and good that you have helped your ears by reducing that noise by ~ 20%. I could try that for my Fiesta when time permits but I want a noise reduction of 50% :D, I am expecting more ha(?).

May I ask you from where you bought the wurth and what brand is it?

I doubt the polythene used there is for noise damping.

I can see photos with the Yoga mats but not with the Wurth damping. Where was the Wurth used?

Wonderful DIY job, @swami.n. clap: But where are the pics of the Wuerth damping material?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami.n (Post 3092078)
... The material used by Ford to sound proof the doors was pretty pathetic. It was just a polythene sheet with a sticky material running along the border stuck on to the metal behind the plastic door pads. ...

LOL that is the Vapor Barrier, not damping. It prevents moisture from coming into the cabin from outside.

Lovely work there swami clap: . What about the boot lid, din't you fill it up with cotton waste to make it heavier ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 3092470)
I can see photos with the Yoga mats but not with the Wurth damping. Where was the Wurth used?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 3092506)
But where are the pics of the Wuerth damping material?

^^ Exactly my question. Scrolled a few times through the pictures to see if I had missed them.

Wonderful DIY thread Swami, I remember doing something similar in my previous Zen. The only problem with Yoga mats is that in the heat it might expand and if water seeps inside then the mats might absorb that. A better alternative would be a Wurth type damping material for the door pads as well.

Also, is the Wurth damping sheets available in any auto accessories shop?

Many thanks to all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganesc (Post 3092433)
Wow! that's a good article with a lot of pictures. :thumbs up This will definitely help others. Thanks for that.

Better sound insulation was always needed for a Ford Figo/Fiesta for their noisy diesels and good that you have helped your ears by reducing that noise by ~ 20%. I could try that for my Fiesta when time permits but I want a noise reduction of 50% :D, I am expecting more ha(?).

May I ask you from where you bought the wurth and what brand is it?

I doubt the polythene used there is for noise damping.

Even I would have preferred 50% noise reduction, but for that, we have to unmount the dashboard & also the floor carpeting and completely soundproof the floor, wheel arches and the area behind the dashboard as well. I thought that would be too risky, as removing the dashboard may lead to rattles.

I googled Wuerth and got their Chennai contact number and bought it directly from them. The shops who are dealing Wuerth material quoted me 5k for the same material(Whether they fix it themselves or not). PM me if you want the contact details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 3092470)

Quote:

Wonderful DIY job, @swami.n. clap: But where are the pics of the Wuerth damping material?

The last set of pictures where the doors are stuck with a silver color material.
Its basically of sticker type, remove the paper from behind and stick it. Thats all.
The marked portions are the Wuerth sheets.
DIY: Damping a Figo with Wurth & Yoga Mats-wuerth-sheets.jpg
Quote:

LOL that is the Vapor Barrier, not damping. It prevents moisture from coming into the cabin from outside.

Oh, I dint know it was for preventing vapor. But while fixing the central locks,this particular sheet was not properly fixed in the front right door. We did trial runs then and again after sticking it properly. It was a bit quiet when it was stuck properly without any gaps. So I thought it might be for soundproofing. lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 3092583)
Lovely work there swami clap: . What about the boot lid, din't you fill it up with cotton waste to make it heavier ?

Thanks a lot. It was your swift thread that gave me inspiration to do this job.
The cotton waste, how much ever I press it, may solidify in future and leave gaps in the boot lid. I thought a better option would be to fill with the foam material used in mattresses. But anyways, the Wuerth sheets and yoga mats have considerably increased the thud in boot door as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 3092583)
^^ Exactly my question. Scrolled a few times through the pictures to see if I had missed them.

I have posted a marked image for people to recognize.
Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3092587)
Wonderful DIY thread Swami, I remember doing something similar in my previous Zen. The only problem with Yoga mats is that in the heat it might expand and if water seeps inside then the mats might absorb that. A better alternative would be a Wurth type damping material for the door pads as well.

I tend to agree with you on the heat part, but I dont think it will absorb water. Its like a rubber sheet and its water repellent.
Also using the Wuerth sheets for door pads, would require another 3 boxes of the sheets, which would calculate to another 7k to 7.5k. The whole purpose of this DIY being cost effective would have gone there :-).
Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3092587)
Also, is the Wurth damping sheets available in any auto accessories shop?

As I have mentioned, they are available in some shops, but they quote the price including fixing labor cost & even if you want only the sheets, they still charge the same. They say the cost is 5k, and labor is free. Ha ha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami.n (Post 3092593)
Even I would have preferred 50% noise reduction, but for that, we have to unmount the dashboard & also the floor carpeting and completely soundproof the floor, wheel arches and the area behind the dashboard as well. I thought that would be too risky, as removing the dashboard may lead to rattles.

I googled Wuerth and got their Chennai contact number and bought it directly from them. The shops who are dealing Wuerth material quoted me 5k for the same material(Whether they fix it themselves or not). PM me if you want the contact details.

Oh, so you saved Rs.2600/- on the material alone! nice. Thanks. Sharing the contact here is fine I believe and it would help fellow TN members too or I will get in touch with you when needed.

Do I see a Door sill plate thats illuminated? how much is it? I was looking for something like this for Fiesta but then went with the normal one without any illumination worrying about the wiring. And that has already fallen off and lying inside the cabin. Need to get a good double sided tape to put it in place again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganesc (Post 3092608)
Oh, so you saved Rs.2600/- on the material alone! nice. Thanks. Sharing the contact here is fine I believe and it would help fellow TN members too or I will get in touch with you when needed.

His Name is Vignesh - 9840125204. You can use my name for reference. He said if we buy 6 boxes, he can give it for 2200 per box. As I bought only one, I paid 2450 incl of taxes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ganesc (Post 3092608)
Do I see a Door sill plate thats illuminated? how much is it? I was looking for something like this for Fiesta but then went with the normal one without any illumination worrying about the wiring. And that has already fallen off and lying inside the cabin. Need to get a good double sided tape to put it in place again.

Yes, those are illuminated door sill guards. You have got good eyes there. It cost me around rs. 2200. I wanted red color light, but only was available in blue. Fixing is very simple, its connected to the door switch. It illuminates when the doors open. You wont even notice the wires unless you watch very closely.

Though its not of any use so far, but gets people asking about it. Probably that is the reason I put it.:uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami.n (Post 3092593)
... The marked portions are the Wuerth sheets... I have posted a marked image for people to recognize. ...

:eek: Err... don't want to rain on your party, but ... The Wuerth sheets are stuck where they would have the least effect! The correct places to apply them are:
1. Inside the outermost metal layer of the door
2. Inside the doorpad wherever there is large unbroken surface (ribs and folds break up large surfaces, and stiffen the material)

From that p-o-v, Wuerth is more effective a damping material than yoga mat. If you want to apply both, first put the Wuerth as I have mentioned above (making sure every sq.mm. of the sheet is pressed very well using a roller against the metal surface), and then stick the foam mats on the inner metal layer (where the Wuerth currently is in your pics). And, not just over the holes but over the entire metal.

Nice DIY, Swami.

Surprised to know, removing door pads was simple.
For me, removing the door opening lever from door pads was tricky.

Comparitively, it has a complex structure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 3093032)
:eek: Err... don't want to rain on your party, but ... The Wuerth sheets are stuck where they would have the least effect! The correct places to apply them are:
1. Inside the outermost metal layer of the door
2. Inside the doorpad wherever there is large unbroken surface (ribs and folds break up large surfaces, and stiffen the material)

From that p-o-v, Wuerth is more effective a damping material than yoga mat. If you want to apply both, first put the Wuerth as I have mentioned above (making sure every sq.mm. of the sheet is pressed very well using a roller against the metal surface), and then stick the foam mats on the inner metal layer (where the Wuerth currently is in your pics). And, not just over the holes but over the entire metal.

Thanks for that info DerAlte. But the main purpose of this DIY was to try and reduce the road noise and not damping. Sticking the mats to the inner most wall of the doors would be the best solution for reduction in jarring of the speakers with high bass. But mine is a pretty basic system with no subs.

What I have done is to try & cover the possible holes which may transfer road noise into the cabin. I know the best results would be achieved when the carpeting is completely removed and the foot wells and wheel arches are stuck with these stickers. But that would be a big task and possibly not a DIY for me.

As I have mentioned, this DIY has reduced very little road noise, probably 20%, but given a better thud while closing the doors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 3093060)
Nice DIY, Swami.

Surprised to know, removing door pads was simple.
For me, removing the door opening lever from door pads was tricky.

Comparitively, it has a complex structure.

Thanks kpzen. Closely observing the person fitting the central locks & power windows, I kind of understood where are the screws and from where to start pulling out. You could take your to a local accessories shop and tell them some slight vibration inside one of the door pads and observe how they remove and re-fix the door pad. I always believe, "seeing things live in person is always more explanatory than reading stuff".

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami.n (Post 3093067)
... But the main purpose of this DIY was to try and reduce the road noise and not damping. Sticking the mats to the inner most wall of the doors would be the best solution for reduction in jarring of the speakers with high bass. But mine is a pretty basic system with no subs.

What I have done is to try & cover the possible holes which may transfer road noise into the cabin. I know the best results would be achieved when the carpeting is completely removed and the foot wells and wheel arches are stuck with these stickers. But that would be a big task and possibly not a DIY for me.

As I have mentioned, this DIY has reduced very little road noise, probably 20%, but given a better thud while closing the doors. ...

:thumbs up Good luck - you seemed to have a very clear idea what you wanted to achieve.

Great to see what you have done there with the YOGA mats.

YOGA mats are normally made up of EVA foam based materials.

This is the similar kind of material what you see in the Hawai chappals.

Our company supplies material for the same & similar application to blend with EVA polymer to replace natural rubber with our rubber (which is recyclable & hence a green technology)

Your DIY'er has opened up a new segment in my mind, Thanks :D