Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2006, 04:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

ICE performance differs in petrol or diesel vehicles?

Hi, I dont know how far its true....but I went to Circuit City (MN to be in particular) today with one of my freinds to get his ICE done.

He owns a diesel car and wanted to have something real bassy and punchy. There was a works manager,Tom, who gave me a new line to think. He said that the good ICE installs perform very well in petrol vehicles and not the same in deisel vehicles as the alternator in deisel vehicles is not meant for ICE loads and the current drawn by bassy/punchy ICE set ups leads to further problems in deisel vehicles....commonest of them being repeated problems with SELF.

what is this? i was clueless and told my friend to wait 4 a day or two so that i can get some logical deductions. (TBHP zindabaad!)

Last edited by panky12345 : 22nd May 2006 at 04:53.
Old 22nd May 2006, 07:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Diesel cant dont depend on teh battery to run and maybe hence it doesnt haev a powerful alternator, maybe.

I was suprised to see that the stereo of karthik247's skoda didnt shut off when he started his car. Maybe an advantage being a diesel.

Can someone enlighten.
Old 22nd May 2006, 11:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

exactly JK, that's exactly i was wondering on.....what the heck the mode (ie diesel/petrol) on the earth has something to do with ICE (or battery/alternator).either we can assume that diesel vehicles are equipped with not so good alternators (generally) that can take a good ICE load (***-u-ming that they have some other more important functions to perform)?
Old 22nd May 2006, 13:26   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this is absolute crap and I don't agree. ICE can perform just as well in a refined-diesel vehicle as a petrol.
I also think diesel cars often come with a better equipped battery (to run the heater etc?)
I may be wrong, but I think Tom doesn't know what he's talking about.
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

As far I Know the diesel Vehicle has a larger battery than the petrol model due to excessive current demand made by the starter due to diesel engine. The diesel engine require more power to start than a petrol. In the diesel engine the fuel has to be compressed. But the petrol the fuel has to be ignited. Thats why the petrol engine are lighter and diesel are heavy. As far ICE is considered it will sound the same whether it is petrol or diesel. But in a diesel it will play for a long duration as the battery is larger than the petrol one. But I advice if u have a amp in ur car never play it with engine off. Always start ur engine before playing ur ICE........
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Rooobbish! .... Sir Geoff Boycott

Quote:
alternator in deisel vehicles is not meant for ICE loads and the current drawn by bassy/punchy ICE set ups leads to further problems in deisel vehicles....commonest of them being repeated problems with SELF.
Most diesel vehicles have higher-amperage alternators than petrol vehicles. The self starter has nothing to do with the alternator. During cranking, only the battery is supplying the power. Diesel starters are more rugged than petrol ones, but once the engine is started, there is no dependence on the battery/ alternator except for a small electrically operated fuel switch, which is required to stop the engine or sometimes the microprocessor. There are also no spark plugs in a diesel engine, so that's one area (compared to a petrol engine) where in fact, electrical interference with your audio setup is out of question. Where is the disadvantage?

Quote:
I was suprised to see that the stereo of karthik247's skoda didnt shut off when he started his car. Maybe an advantage being a diesel.
In most cars, the 'ACC' contact which supplies the power to the head unit is disconnected when the key is turned to the cranking position, and reconnects when the spring loaded starting switch returns back to the original position. This is a safety measure, and is also intended to disconnect all power consuming devices so that the most energy can be used for cranking. If you connect the stereo to some other ignition position, or direct to the battery, or if the 'ACC' remains on even during cranking, the HU could remain on, and the illumination may just dim a bit when you crank. This, however, is not desirable. It is best to switch off the stereo before starting.

Quote:
I also think diesel cars often come with a better equipped battery (to run the heater etc?)
Yup, powering up the heater plugs is one. Also the torque to crank a diesel (compression ignition) engine is far higher than that required for a spark ignition engine. So these guys have much larger batteries that have higher cranking currents.

I've used the word 'crank' so much, i'm feeling cranky.
Old 22nd May 2006, 19:39   #7
BANNED

The man should be feeding his diesel car with something other than diesel that his car started behaving absurd, now he is confused and took some heavy stuff and WOW! another einstein is born : he invented that ICE sounds better in petrol cars and not in diesel cars!

What an amazing discovery!!!!!! Yaaaa????
Old 22nd May 2006, 20:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how it sounds in LPG cars and maybe the Reva .. hehe
Old 22nd May 2006, 20:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
I wonder how it sounds in LPG cars and maybe the Reva .. hehe
Don't even try to fit a SPL system in your Reva unless you have a really long 'extension box' to remain charged wherever you are going!
Old 22nd May 2006, 23:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

thanx for all the replies....had this statement been made by our freindly sadakchaap car accessory wala in dilli, i wdnt' have posted here. but yaar surprised, even in US and that too Circuit city and top of it, WORKS MANAGER looking after ENTIRE ICE set-ups. I mean gimme a break! i'm gonna offer him a membership to TBHP (only if he pays me 500 $$$$) LOL!
any more inputs?
Old 24th May 2006, 15:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345
thanx for all the replies....had this statement been made by our freindly sadakchaap car accessory wala in dilli, i wdnt' have posted here. but yaar surprised, even in US and that too Circuit city and top of it, WORKS MANAGER looking after ENTIRE ICE set-ups. I mean gimme a break! i'm gonna offer him a membership to TBHP (only if he pays me 500 $$$$) LOL!
any more inputs?
The only way a diesel vehicle would be inferior to a petrol vehicle could be in terms of the engine noise, which is higher in most but not all cases.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks