Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2013, 04:27   #1

Size of the Tata Aria's Subwoofer?

Hello friends,
I am in US for a couple of weeks and have an opportunity to buy good HU and speakers/subwoofer at a fairly decent price.
Can anyone tell me what size subwoofer fits in the Aria (bought just a few weeks ago)? The User manual or specifications do not have this info. 10" or 12"?

Thanks
Ajay
Old 16th May 2013, 13:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Size of the Tata Aria's Subwoofer?

"Fits in the Aria" is not the correct criteria. There is not much difference in the floor area occupied by the box of a 10" sub and 12" sub. 10" subs don't go as low as 12".

OTOH, you should rethink getting a sub from US, primarily because the volume of the package and the weight is substantial. Get all the other stuff from there, if you find a good deal in Fry's or Best Buy. Buy the sub and box in India.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 20:19   #3

Re: Size of the Tata Aria's Subwoofer?

Thanks for the info.. I am not looking at standalone (Box or Tube). I am looking specifically at putting one in the Dedicated Subwoofer placeholder they have in Aria..hence more concerned about the diameter and depth.
Old 17th May 2013, 12:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjaySDate View Post
Thanks for the info.. I am not looking at standalone (Box or Tube). I am looking specifically at putting one in the they have in Aria..hence more concerned about the diameter and depth.
Perhaps it would be better if you are able to put a pic of the dedicated Subwoofer placeholder in the Aria.

If it is anything like the one in the Safari rear door, it is meant to hold an 8" one. An 8" sub in that location (which will be at best a leaky enclosure - neither sealed nor ported) will be terribly insipid and boomy. That is why no one uses that. If you want to use it as a sealed box, you will have to seal all seams and all other openings with silicone glue (for which you will have to feel your way around, since most of the inside of the rear door is not visible directly).

Typically, the clearance required behind the mounting surface (top mounting) varies from 5" (8" sub) to 9+" (12" sub). Effective external dia is SubSize + 0.5", and mounting cutout dia is SubSize - 1".
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 13:28   #5
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess you are referring to the place in the Aria Door. I have had the occasion to open and check it out - while getting the reverse camera replaced and again when getting a dent repaired.

There is no built in wiring for sure. The Outside cover on the door panel is large but on the ring / space on the inside metal is quite small. You would need to send the experts here a snap of the inside. I forgot to take a snap when mine was opened.
The space is small and there is not too much depth inspite of the built in 1" intrusion into luggage space. If I recollect properly the space available was something between 6-8". I think the next Aria refresh is planned with a Subwoofer in the Prestige Version (though not in the higher Pride as it uses a different HU with satnav).

Basically I think you will require to do a fair bit of custom cutting (front Cover Grill) and place spacers to get the Sub to come out a bit further from the rear and then seal it all up. Somehow it does not seem worth the effort. On the Kind of Sound you would get I obviously have no idea possibly as mentioned by DerAlte it may be better to find another location.

A separate dedicated box would be better - You could get something that is removable. And if you do not use the last row seats at all then there is also the option of using the third row legs space or removing one of the last row seats (they are separate) completely.

Also since the Boot door opens upward through Balancers they will definitely not be able to take the load (weight) unless you put in something stronger - I mean to hold the door.

Last edited by ACM : 17th May 2013 at 13:29.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 18:48   #6

Thank you folks! I will be going in for a stand alone (box or tube) sub...to be bought in India.
btw, "7 Inch" is the size for Aria subwoofer. I got response from Concorde Motors Service folks!! That does not give much choice from mainstream sub manufacturers!!
Old 17th May 2013, 21:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you folks! I will be going in for a stand alone (box or tube) sub...to be bought in India.
btw, "7 Inch" is the size for Aria subwoofer. I got response from Concorde Motors Service folks!! That does not give much choice from mainstream sub manufacturers!!
I guess you are talking about stock speaker locations, in that case almost all cars these days have a slot for 6.5 inch Midbass ( in case of a comppnent set!) or a coaxial, a few cars have 6x9 slots too, but that's mostly in a few sedans.
And I don't think any car has a stock location for a sub woofer. I have never been in an Aria so that might be an exception, but its just impossible to provide a stock location for a subwoofer, because they need space for excursion, and they are quite heavy. No matte how well built a door pad or the door itself is, a subwoofer will be difficult to handle.

Last edited by 599gto : 17th May 2013 at 22:01. Reason: typo
Old 17th May 2013, 22:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..., "7 Inch" is the size for Aria subwoofer. ...
7" hole for an 8" subwoofer. There was never a 7" subwoofer even in USSR which always had odd sizes otherwise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
... I guess you are talking about stock speaker locations, in that case almost all cars these days have a slot for 6.5 inch Midbass ...
LOL noooo. This is a special one - in the hatch of Arias and rear door of Safaris. No one ever uses this, since the bass comes really horrible from an 8" sub in a leaky enclosure.

There are some other cars where they leave a provision for 6x9 ovals in the hatch. Very few ever use them, since the gas props that hold up the hatch can't take the additional weight of the speakers. Great designers!!!
Old 17th May 2013, 23:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess you are talking about stock speaker locations, in that case almost all cars these days have a slot for 6.5 inch Midbass ( in case of a comppnent set!) or a coaxial, a few cars have 6x9 slots too, but that's mostly in a few sedans.
And I don't think any car has a stock location for a sub woofer.
Lol I think quite a few cars these days come with a stock location for a subwoofer. My Kizashi comes with support for a 8inch long throw RF sub. Unfortunately I don't know about cars that have support for 10 or 12 inch subs :P
Old 17th May 2013, 23:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
7" hole for an 8" subwoofer. There was never a 7" subwoofer even in USSR which always had odd sizes otherwise!

LOL noooo. This is a special one - in the hatch of Arias and rear door of Safaris. No one ever uses this, since the bass comes really horrible from an 8" sub in a leaky enclosure.

There are some other cars where they leave a provision for 6x9 ovals in the hatch. Very few ever use them, since the gas props that hold up the hatch can't take the additional weight of the speakers. Great designers!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Lol I think quite a few cars these days come with a stock location for a subwoofer. My Kizashi comes with support for a 8inch long throw RF sub. Unfortunately I don't know about cars that have support for 10 or 12 inch subs :P
Ok guys, stop laughing at me, hahaha. Indeed these two are special cars it seems, I guess even a 3 series has an under seat active sub of sorts and the Outlander and Montero too have RF subs in the boot area!

OT- I for one never liked the stock RF ICE in the Outlander, I mean its good, but nothing to talk about! And it is supposedly one of the cars USP according to the manufacturer.

I have seen that sub woofer slot in the older safari, but would like to know where the 'long throw' RF sub sits in the Kizashi, and why just RF? Wouldn't any other similar sized sub fit in?
Old 18th May 2013, 00:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
would like to know where the 'long throw' RF sub sits in the Kizashi, and why just RF? Wouldn't any other similar sized sub fit in?
The car actually has a pretty impressive support: 2" mid range speaker in the middle of the dash, four 6.5" mid range speakers for all the doors, four 1" tweeters in the doors, pair of co-axial speakers in the area between the rear head rests and the windshield along with provision for a 8" sub in between them.
RF is what Suzuki went with, unfortunately they did not equip the Indian spec car with it, but I am currently doing research for an upgrade. I don't think fitting any other sub should be an issue though.

Anyway guess this is OT :P
Old 18th May 2013, 12:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The car actually has a pretty impressive support: 2" mid range speaker in the middle of the dash, four 6.5" mid range speakers for all the doors, four 1" tweeters in the doors, pair of co-axial speakers in the area between the rear head rests and the windshield along with provision for a 8" sub in between them.
RF is what Suzuki went with, unfortunately they did not equip the Indian spec car with it, but I am currently doing research for an upgrade. I don't think fitting any other sub should be an issue though.

Anyway guess this is OT :P
yeah it sure is . But man this is the car to buy for an ICE freak, I mean I don't think any other car offers that kind of support, but two rear stages don't make sense, I guess it gives you option to chose whether you want your speakers to be on the door or on the rear parcel tray.
And talking of that, this car should have sold better, the clan of ICE freaks is increasing four folds everyday!
Old 18th May 2013, 12:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yeah it sure is . But man this is the car to buy for an ICE freak, I mean I don't think any other car offers that kind of support, but two rear stages don't make sense, I guess it gives you option to chose whether you want your speakers to be on the door or on the rear parcel tray.
And talking of that, this car should have sold better, the clan of ICE freaks is increasing four folds everyday!
True I guess it's more economical for an ICE freak to create enclosures, fiberglass moulds etc than to choose their car purely based on that :P
I put it down to just poor marketing and lack of a diesel engine. Either way, the exclusivity factor is kinda nice Though I miss aftermarket support in terms of modifications, dealer knowledge. I have to do all my homework before installing anything.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 18th May 2013 at 13:01.

Most Viewed