Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2006, 21:45   #16
BHPian

Alpine 9853 has two options to choose from:3-way & F/R sub-W and i have chosen later,2-way one.

As my system is like 3-way,should i choose 3-way system switch[there is a switch on bottom of HU where this can be done] for x-over setting.

Dear JB & Gunbir,u remeber when i told u about this setting?

Crutchfield hands on research says ........

6-Position Digital Crossover with Adjustable Slope: The digital crossover allows you to choose from the following modes:
  • 2-way Mode: A continuously variable 20-200Hz low-pass filter is available for the subwoofer outputs, and a continuously variable 20-200Hz high-pass filter is available for the front and rear preamp outputs. The slope for each filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24dB/octave, or Flat. The level for each filter can be adjusted from 0 to -12dB.
  • 3-way Mode: A continuously variable 20-200Hz low-pass filter is available for the subwoofer outputs, and a continuously variable 1-20kHz high-pass filter is available for the high-range speakers. The midrange speakers have a continuously variable 20Hz-20kHz low-pass filter and a continuously variable 20-200Hz high-pass filter. The slope for each filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24dB/octave, or Flat. The level for each filter can be adjusted from 0 to -12dB.

And acc to its manual......... http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man...500CDA9853.PDF

--The xover switch position for a 2-way system [freq range is divided between highs for front/rear and pows for subw]
--The xover switch postion for a 3-way system whose frq range is divided among the highs[front],mids[rear], and lows[subw].

Sam/JB/Gunbir i need ur help and plz go through pages 17-18 & 45-47 as page 47 is very confusing for me.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 25th May 2006 at 21:48.
Old 26th May 2006, 02:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

RSJ... Your system is running in F+R+Sub config right now. This is not a 3way setup!!! To explain further:

A. 3way passive system - You would have a two channel amplifier powering the 3way passive crossover which in turn divides freqs into low (woofer), mid (midrange) and high (tweeter).

B. 3way Active - If you switch your HU into 3way mode, your preouts become High, Mid and Low (instead of Front, Rear and Sub). You will need 1 ch of amplification per driver (separate ch for left tweeter, another for left midrange, another for left woofer or mono sub... and same for right side). So a total of 6ch of amplification will be needed. So in this case, since the crossover is done in the HU, BEFORE the amp, you will not use your passive crossovers. This is a proper active 3way setup.

C. 3way mixed mode - Remove the rear fill and this is sort of what you have now. Your front comps have a passive crossover so they are in passive mode. Your subwoofer crossover is being used from the HU so since it is before the amplifier it is in active mode. So its a combination of active XO and passive XO, together dividing lows, mids and highs. You only need 3ch of amplification for this setup. Of course you have added rear fill also so you are using two more channls of amplification for them.

D. 4way Active - What Im running now. HU has 8 preouts (4 pairs). High, Mid, Low, Sub. so basically 3way front stage + sub, using 8ch of amplification. I am using Hertz HT-20R Ribbon Supertweeters (High), Image Dynamics CD2Comp Neo Compression Horn mid-tweeter (Mid), Hertz HV-165 6.5" woofer (Low) and Image Dynamics iDQ12" Subwoofer (Sub).

Did all of that make any sense?

Anyway, you dont need to run your system active. It is fine as it is.

Last edited by gunbir : 26th May 2006 at 03:01.
Old 26th May 2006, 12:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
also have a look at the 'Focal Be' set. Fanatically expensive, but very nice.
Man I have searched for the prices of the componet set they are very well priced. but I am not searching for this type of expensive equipment I dont want to spend $3500 (DOLLARS) on a 3 way componet set
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=SPX-Z18T
http://www.utopia-be.com/Products/Number7.htm

For the above speakers I would be needing ur calrion HU and the trutech class A amp for the same. and u know the price of the same.
http://www.bladeice.com/truampaclass.htm

The thing I want is close to ur range of Hertz speaker like I posted earlier
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/sched...at=2&numprod=2
Like the above it is in a good price range. If U can suggest in this price range then it is ok other wise I also know how expensive this stuff costs. I am talking about practical thing which I can install.

Sam where are u man I need suggestions.....

Keep them comming..
Old 26th May 2006, 13:23   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
The thing I want is close to ur range of Hertz speaker like I posted earlier
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/sched...at=2&numprod=2
Like the above it is in a good price range. If U can suggest in this price range then it is ok other wise I also know how expensive this stuff costs. I am talking about practical thing which I can install.

Sam where are u man I need suggestions.....
Well, then I would suggest buying the Hertz 3 way component system then... Why look for something close to it? I don't understand. You know it sounds good and it's what you want and in your budget right?
I haven't heard them, but if JB and Gunbir say it's good, it's good.
Old 26th May 2006, 13:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

The one u are using how much is it for and any other models u can suggest me price in not a issue here can go above that one also. The kappa u r using is it avalable in india.... and info about it .....
Old 26th May 2006, 14:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

The picture i posted.. that is the Kappa 1.7CS, this is for 17,990/- with BW

There is also the Kappa 1.5CS this has a 6X9" woofer along with 4" midrange and tweeters. This is also for 17,990/-
Old 26th May 2006, 14:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

are u using them and how do u feel them playing , any place from where do i get them in delhi. Last but not the least I u have installed them in ur car can I see the pics of the same...........
Old 26th May 2006, 15:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

No I am using similar components, but 2 way, in my car.
Old 26th May 2006, 19:32   #24

I am also interested in 3 way any one here can give some info.
Old 27th May 2006, 02:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
The picture i posted.. that is the Kappa 1.7CS, this is for 17,990/- with BW
The Kappa 2way we heard in RSJ's getz was quite nice. I'm sure the Kappa 3way is an excellent product as well. LBM, I suggest you audition them. Sam can tell you where.
Old 27th May 2006, 02:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The thing I want is close to ur range of Hertz speaker like I posted earlier Like the above it is in a good price range. If U can suggest in this price range then it is ok other wise I also know how expensive this stuff costs. I am talking about practical thing which I can install.
LBM apart from Infinity Kappa and Hertz I cant really recommend much out there. We have heard the Canton 3way available, not too impressed. There was a Blaupunkt 3way set (copper coloured cones) we used some way back in 2002. I think they are still around. They sound nice and balanced but dont have much power handling. They will not be able to keep up with your sub section.

As for our 3way sets. The HSK163 is not the only one. At this time we have 4 sets available in India ranging from 11k to 29k. We have higher models as well ranging upto 1.30 lakh but as you can imagine, these are only on special order.

You can download more information here. And you are welcome to audition any of these at a dealer.
Old 27th May 2006, 10:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Sam the Man from where do can I listen to this kappa. Plz give any phone or address u have man..............
Old 27th May 2006, 12:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

One more thing placement of the mid range in swift................

This is bugging me the most..............
Old 27th May 2006, 15:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
LBM

Thats a nice choice. This set will work well for you. Those are scanspeak drivers and used in some of the best speaker systems made. also have a look at the 'Focal Be' set. Fanatically expensive, but very nice.

The 545 is a wimpy amplifier for this application. Get a good 2 channel amp with atleast 200w cont into 4 ohms per side.
Alipne F1 series, full orgasm speakers. Only, the crossovers are sooooo damn bigggg!

Yeah, the 545 is not a good mate for the F1 3-way. You need a nice clean 2-ch amplifier with loads of juice to power up that set. In fact, for any good 3-way component, use either a powerful 2-ch amp or a 4-ch in stereo bridged mode.
Old 27th May 2006, 18:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more thing placement of the mid range in swift................

This is bugging me the most..............
LBM your best option would be on the A pillar. I know the interiors of the Indian Swift are different but the A pillar should be the same. With some modifications you could fit a dome midrange there.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks