Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 10:28   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Polo TSI: Stock Head-Unit with Infinity. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Do the tweeters for the component setups fit in-door? I wouldn't mind a component setup if everything is concealed. I don't want any tweeters visible from outside the car attracting unnecessary attention.
The Kapa tweeters may not fit into the door nor the A pillar. You will have to install it on the pillar and the tweeter will be visible from outside.
Also spacers may be needed for the Kapa components to avoid the glass touching when rolling down.
Fabiaous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 11:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yeah that's why I'm not leaning towards components for the front. I don't want anything externally visible. The Kappa coax will probably need a spacer but I don't think that's a big deal to get.
Old 29th May 2013, 12:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
The Kapa tweeters may not fit ...
Quote:
Yeah that's why I'm not leaning towards components for the front. ...
It will fit in the sail panel.

Name:  Polo TSi dash.png
Views: 9754
Size:  125.0 KBName:  TweeterSailPanel.png
Views: 8190
Size:  148.7 KB

Quote:
... Also spacers may be needed for the Kapa components to avoid the glass touching when rolling down.
Any decent installer will know what to do when they open the doorpad. Kappa mid-bass is expected to fit in the VW OE location without fouling with the glass. OE (whizzer cone) speakers are mounted on a plastic spacer anyway.
Old 29th May 2013, 17:37   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Polo TSI should be here in a couple of days and I want to upgrade the music system because I feel the stock system has absolutely no treble and a muddy mid-range, which makes my trance sound like crap.

I was thinking of retaining the stock RCD 320 HU which has Bluetooth, USB, SD, Aux and a CD player + radio. I have very fond memories of the music system I had in my OHC that used Inifinity Gold speakers, so I was thinking of replacing the Polo's stock speakers with coax Infinity Kappa speakers. I originally wanted the three-way 6 1/2" 63.9i speakers for all four doors but it seems these aren't available locally so I'm now thinking of getting the two-way 6 1/2" 62.11 speakers.

Any thoughts? Dunno what sort of output the RCD 320 has, would it be adequate to power the Infinity Kappas or would an amp be a sure requirement? I'm not looking for crazy sound levels, I just want nice, clean sound from the four in-door speakers and the stock HU.
Kbk if I'm not mistaken this will be your everyday ride. Why not get a full blown system then. Adding better speakers to the stock hu will marginally help and it will still sound muddy. Either change the hu, get the blaupunkt one which looks like vw head units and has all features including nav, or get a processor with he stock hu. Also get amps and a sub, believe me for trance/house to enjoy the music you need these.

Lastly the man you should be speaking to is Ajay at 4 seasons audio, he's also a member here. He knows his stuff and will do an excellent install.
Old 29th May 2013, 18:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Kbk if I'm not mistaken this will be your everyday ride. Why not get a full blown system then. Adding better speakers to the stock hu will marginally help and it will still sound muddy. Either change the hu, get the blaupunkt one which looks like vw head units and has all features including nav, or get a processor with he stock hu. Also get amps and a sub, believe me for trance/house to enjoy the music you need these.

Lastly the man you should be speaking to is Ajay at 4 seasons audio, he's also a member here. He knows his stuff and will do an excellent install.
As I understand it there is no scope to add a processor to the stock HU. Nor can an amp be added. This would necessitate the head unit to be changed. No doubt a sub with an amp will add tremendously to the sound, but I don't want to go down that route, this car has to be completely practical, first and foremost.

Thanks for the link, do you have a number for Ajay? (PM Please)

Last edited by kbk_75 : 29th May 2013 at 18:17.
Old 30th May 2013, 14:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I understand it there is no scope to add a processor to the stock HU. Nor can an amp be added. ...
You have inferred / have been advised wrongly. It is possible to interface both / either. If stock HU doesn't have Pre-outs terminated at RCA sockets, one can always connect to the speaker connections using an LoC (many amps and processors have that built-in).
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 15:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
My Polo TSI should be here in a couple of days and I want to upgrade the music system because I feel the stock system has absolutely no treble and a muddy mid-range, which makes my trance sound like crap.

I was thinking of retaining the stock RCD 320 HU which has Bluetooth, USB, SD, Aux and a CD player + radio. I have very fond memories of the music system I had in my OHC that used Inifinity Gold speakers, so I was thinking of replacing the Polo's stock speakers with coax Infinity Kappa speakers. I originally wanted the three-way 6 1/2" 63.9i speakers for all four doors but it seems these aren't available locally so I'm now thinking of getting the two-way 6 1/2" 62.11 speakers.

Any thoughts? Dunno what sort of output the RCD 320 has, would it be adequate to power the Infinity Kappas or would an amp be a sure requirement? I'm not looking for crazy sound levels, I just want nice, clean sound from the four in-door speakers and the stock HU.

kbk,

I was in this dilemma for over a year, I choose the middle path of just updating the speakers and retain the stock HU. I have used focal integration's components and co-axials , and yes there is a definite improvement in sound quality.

And my installation was done by Ajay too.
If you want to have a listen let me know.

The link to installation here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3112831

Cheers
Sid
Old 30th May 2013, 21:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You have inferred / have been advised wrongly. It is possible to interface both / either. If stock HU doesn't have Pre-outs terminated at RCA sockets, one can always connect to the speaker connections using an LoC (many amps and processors have that built-in).
Thanks for clarifying. Seems a lot of dealers / installers are just misinforming people in the hope to "up sell" them to more expensive equipment! How pathetic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
kbk,

I was in this dilemma for over a year, I choose the middle path of just updating the speakers and retain the stock HU. I have used focal integration's components and co-axials , and yes there is a definite improvement in sound quality.

And my installation was done by Ajay too.
If you want to have a listen let me know.

The link to installation here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3112831

Cheers
Sid
Thanks for confirming that Sid. I would love to have a listen some time. I'll PM you when I get a chance!
Old 31st May 2013, 17:21   #24
Team-BHP Support

Do the RCD 320 & 510 have any pre-outs at all?

cya
R
Old 31st May 2013, 19:10   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Do the RCD 320 & 510 have any pre-outs at all?

cya
R
The 510 does, apparently depending on the set up in the car the outputs can be switched from being per outs to using the internal amp to power the car. Case in point the normal Laura's with 8 speaker systems and the l&k with a 12 speaker system.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 23:37   #26
Team-BHP Support

Spent some time putting the Polo GT TSI audio system through its paces:
  • Sound quality is definitely not as good as my Vento (RCD 310). Bass would crack earlier, lacked the same tight punch and i heard some vibrations in the cabin.
  • Assuming the Polo's RCD 320 is the same / better output than the Vento's 310, the speakers would be the weakest link.
  • In addition to better speakers, spend some money on damping. The audio gurus here recommend it highly.

cya
R
Old 9th October 2013, 11:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Spent some time putting the Polo GT TSI audio system through its paces:
  • Sound quality is definitely not as good as my Vento (RCD 310). Bass would crack earlier, lacked the same tight punch and i heard some vibrations in the cabin.
  • Assuming the Polo's RCD 320 is the same / better output than the Vento's 310, the speakers would be the weakest link.
  • In addition to better speakers, spend some money on damping. The audio gurus here recommend it highly.

cya
R
You are right and wrong. RCD 310 is superior to the rcd320. RCD 310 is a canbus radio. Meaning its connected to the can gateway offering better integration with the car and features such as graphical reverse display. It DOES have better sound quality. Even the superb ambition comes with this system (albeit under a different name). RCD310's are more expensive than RCD320.

VW has understood the indian mentality and found a way to cut costs. Seems like people prefer blutooth over graphical reverse parking display.
By offering bluetooth, usb and sd card support in one cheap non canbus radio they dont need to provide a canbus radio and no longer need MDI kit in the glove box.

Those with rcd310 and the MDI kit have the best combination.
Upgrading to rcd510 would be easy and a direct swap for them. The rcd310 also looks better with the piano black finish.

VW dangled the bluetooth feature with the RCD 320 and most of us fell for it. Many sites dont even give it the rcd name and instead it refer to as the RCN320. Those with rcd320 will be a new adapter with separate can wires to upgrade to a rcd510
Old 4th November 2013, 00:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Kappa are good even without amps, I have it in my Fabia on the front doors and had moved the stock to the rear, I dont need a amp as I didnt need a louder sound and want to make real effect out of the Cowon J3 which has 32 preset equalizers and the Kapas have served the purpose.
Hi, were you able to fit the tweeters in the stock location in A pillar ? I too have a fabia and an unused set of Kappa with me, thinking of getting these fixed. Can you post some pics please ? thanks in advance. I presume you are driving them from the stock HU.
Old 10th November 2013, 16:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
You are right and wrong. RCD 310 is superior to the rcd320. RCD 310 is a canbus radio. Meaning its connected to the can gateway offering better integration with the car and features such as graphical reverse display. It DOES have better sound quality. Even the superb ambition comes with this system (albeit under a different name). RCD310's are more expensive than RCD320.

VW has understood the indian mentality and found a way to cut costs. Seems like people prefer blutooth over graphical reverse parking display.
By offering bluetooth, usb and sd card support in one cheap non canbus radio they dont need to provide a canbus radio and no longer need MDI kit in the glove box.

Those with rcd310 and the MDI kit have the best combination.
Upgrading to rcd510 would be easy and a direct swap for them. The rcd310 also looks better with the piano black finish.

VW dangled the bluetooth feature with the RCD 320 and most of us fell for it. Many sites dont even give it the rcd name and instead it refer to as the RCN320. Those with rcd320 will be a new adapter with separate can wires to upgrade to a rcd510
Are you sure that the stock RCD320 that now comes with the Polo GT's does not have a CANBUS interface? I was under the impression like all VAG cars it does and was looking to upgrade my HU to something from Kenwood or Blaupunkt with a CAN interface so that my Optical Parking Display & ACC details can also be displayed on the HU. If this is so its just plain ridiculous!

Can more people please verify this, I will put my HU upgrade plans on hold then.
Old 10th November 2013, 17:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post

Are you sure that the stock RCD320 that now comes with the Polo GT's does not have a CANBUS interface? I was under the impression like all VAG cars it does and was looking to upgrade my HU to something from Kenwood or Blaupunkt with a CAN interface so that my Optical Parking Display & ACC details can also be displayed on the HU. If this is so its just plain ridiculous!

Can more people please verify this, I will put my HU upgrade plans on hold then.
Of course you can upgrade to blaupunkt and rcd510 and get optical parking display.
All you need is an adapter and can wires to make canbus connection.

Think vagtune has an adapter to convert low line non can bus radios to highline canbus ones

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks