Team-BHP - expert advice required regarding woofers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   expert advice required regarding woofers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/13733-expert-advice-required-regarding-woofers.html)

Hi all,

Got almost all the stuff,including 2 GT4-15 and GTO601.1 to be installed next saturday. Need clarification from ICE regarding woofer installation. I would be getting a custom build sealed box for the woofers. I had a meeting with the installation person.

The two options avaliable with me for installation are:
1. First setup is suggested by the installer
2, Second option is what i am looking for.

1. What he is suggesting for my accent is that the box placed in the boot and the woofers mounted on top of the box and facing upwards. But with this sort of setup, what he is suggesting that cut a 12" hole in the speaker tray and cover it with grill to let the bass enter the cabin. The problem with this is that, i am against doing any cuttings in that car.

2. This option i am looking for. I wish to do it Autophyce way, since i guess no cutting would be required in the speaker tray. Autophyse's way means, the lancer that was displayed in delhi, which had two hetrz 15" woofers and 3 audison amps. Hope u guys recall it

Please help me which setup should i go for. This is urgent because i need to order him for the box within 3-4 days.

Sorry guys some problem with the pics, will upload it soon

Dude,

The bass will enter the car, even if there is a hole, or not. Dont make a hole. Simple. Make a sealed or vented box (depending on your taste) and place it in the boot. End of story.

are you sure that your Accent Alternater will handle the load generated??

Thanks for the reply sam, but what the installer means by the hole is that since bass can escape from the boot , there will be less amount of vibrations.
Also, do suggest the position for the woofers from my 1 st thread i.e. option 1 OR option 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_sound
Hi all,

1. What he is suggesting for my accent is that the box placed in the boot and the woofers mounted on top of the box and facing upwards. But with this sort of setup, what he is suggesting that cut a 12" hole in the speaker tray and cover it with grill to let the bass enter the cabin. The problem with this is that, i am against doing any cuttings in that car.

No need to cut holes in your car. Remove the rear speakers (if you are not using them) and the two holes will serve as portals for the bass.

Quote:

2. This option i am looking for. I wish to do it Autophyce way, since i guess no cutting would be required in the speaker tray. Autophyse's way means, the lancer that was displayed in delhi, which had two hetrz 15" woofers and 3 audison amps. Hope u guys recall it

Do it this way it is the best for a sedan. Make a seal box dont go for ported as ur woofer require a very large volume to play good.........

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...CheckProduct=Y

Hi gunbir, i would be using the GTO937 (7-series) and GTO607 components as fronts.

From my first thread, the JBL pic is option 1, which i am talking about. In this setup the installer made a 12" hole in the rear tray of corolla.

This is the option 2, which i plan to go for. No drilling of holes required i guess.

i have two questions now....

1) How much of a difference will it makle to drill a hole in the tray in terms of sound quality ??

2)Will the vibration reduce considerably with the same ??

Man the corolla pic u cannot see any thing ->the hole ->the sub firing position.....

the second option the subs are firing backwards this is the best postion required in the car.

there is a thread in this forum about that u can check it out

Poisitioning the subs in a trunk

As the hole in the tray will make not much of the diff in the SQ......

The vibration is something diff from the hole. The boot will rattle even if u cut a hole or not.....

well all i wanted to show is the way in which the subs were placed in the corolla....the subs are placed upwards.....the hole is a regular 12"one....in the tray...dont really have those pics bro...

and the link u sent cant seem to open..jst check...thnx

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ubs-trunk.html

there got it sorry for that............

thnx for that LBM ....

Amit, don't cut holes. The installer is right about the trunk lid etc. vibrating because of the pressure build-up in the trunk, but it's better to damp the surfaces than to cut ungainly looking holes in the parcel shelf. If you still decide to go ahead and do it, make it as large as possible, and redesign the parcel tray with MDF making a frame for the hole and attach grill cloth to the frame so that it doesn't bounce with the bass.

You can play around with the directions in which the subs are aiming. Do let us know which position gives you the best results, so we can re-affirm whether subs firing towards the rear are indeed the best bet.

thnx bass&trouble for ur inputs....even im a bit apprehensive about cutting holes but because initially i had this JBL bass tube which gave in some MAD vibrations did i think otherwise....well at that time i didnt hav any damping done that could be the reason...still i will have a word with my installer by tommorow and will let u`ll know.

about the subs facing...i feel i wil be going for the rear facing ones, since they seem to be tried and tested enough here !!

thnx

Quote:

This is the option 2, which i plan to go for. No drilling of holes required i guess.

Amit

You got it a bit wrong. Im surprised the others missed this as well. The VEGA Lancer install had this 'portal' created in the center of the metal shelf. Note the abundant damping on the metal tray.

Also a custom parcel shelf was fabricated to cover this and acoustically transparent cloth was used to cover the tray. The enclosures are ported and both ports are positioned to fire upwards into the portal.

Amit, while such a portal is not 100% necessary, there were some reasons for this... To get that upper bass attack into the cabin, which is lost at times in a sealed boot. This upper bass also helps in the integration of the large 15" subs output to the front comps 6.5" woofers.