Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2006, 14:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Awesome, really tempting. You have set me to think, Jkdas. How do I set this up? I need to have a transmiter separately? Is that info anwhere on the forum??

I wont get peace until I learn how to do this.
Theres a thread by NAvin about this. He uses this setup.
Old 29th June 2006, 17:19   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Theres a thread by NAvin about this. He uses this setup.
I use a necVox DVD changer and Screen with my ICE. The DVD changer runs it's audio via FM 88.1. My Ipod however uses a Alpine cable so there is only one FM modulated source in the car. I would expriement with 2 sources (if you intend to use the Ipod and DVD each via FM) before buying.
Old 29th June 2006, 18:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
My Ipod however uses a Alpine cable so there is only one FM modulated source in the car. I would expriement with 2 sources (if you intend to use the Ipod and DVD each via FM) before buying.
Navin, Will this alpine cable work for Pioneer 3850? I really dont understand how this is set up. A simple explaination for dummies like me would help.
Old 30th June 2006, 11:11   #49
Team-BHP Support

No for the Pio use the Pio cable. It costs about 6K locally. 1K cheaper than the Alpine cable. If you have a relative coming from the US order one from crutchfield (let them know exact model number) as it is a lot cheper there.
Old 25th July 2006, 18:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

Ok, Thanks to all who have flooded me with advice and opinion. Now I have my modest audio up and running fine.

This is it just to refresh your memory on my ALTO install:
Pioneer DEH 3850(Head unit)+TSA 1010(Front)100W + TSA 1640(rear)260W

I am looking at upgrading in about 3-4 months as I feel I am not getting enough bass or maybe I have slightly matured from being an amateur in car audio. Nowadays I quote names like Gunbir, Sam Kapasi, Navin, JKdas etc to my friends as my gurus in car audio(Although I havent learned much yet)

Once again I wanted everyone's opinion on a modest upgrade to having a AMP and SUB. Would appreciate if you could post your thoughts keeping in mind my upgrade budget of about 7K.(Could change based on your opinions)
Old 25th July 2006, 19:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

for a start, try powering the co-ax using the sony amp. Later on get a Pio sub and get a box for it.
Old 25th July 2006, 20:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
for a start, try powering the co-ax using the sony amp. Later on get a Pio sub and get a box for it.
Thanks JK.

Will I get decent bass if I use a AMP or will I ruin the speakers. The speakers are only 260W. What is the AMP output rating that I need to source?

Will good quality tweeters in the front have any benefit? What is the best way to install a SUB in ALTO keeping in mind the space constraints?
Old 25th July 2006, 20:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Always go for an amp more powerful that the speakers....

DOnt get misled by PIo speakers claiming 260 watts etc... That at best "may" be the peak figures... The better of the Pio speakers will be happy with 40 - 50 watts ' continuous" !! ...

Another word of caution... there are so many clones of Pio out there it has become difficult to make out... will not recommend PIO speakers for sure!..

Last edited by kb100 : 25th July 2006 at 20:44.
Old 25th July 2006, 20:44   #54
BANNED

Quote:
OWould appreciate if you could post your thoughts keeping in mind my upgrade budget of about 7K.(Could change based on your opinions)
Hi again!

That last sentence in bracket is a nice welcome here!

By the way, are you looking for just a bass upgrade or an overall upgrade?
Even if you dont have the budget right now, it will be better to have an overall upgrade plan in mind. Later as the dough comes in, you can step by step reach the Utopia!!!!

So! Keeping in mind an overall upgrade, I'll suggest you get a 4 channel amp and a normal PIO subwoofer (cost around 10k). You can use it now to power the sub in bridged mode and can be used to power the speakers later (By then you'll have to get components for the front too).
This will be a good option for you.

Another option is to just go for a normal 2 channel amp and a pioneer SUB. Will stay well in your budget and will give an increase in the bass. And if you want some SPL, just get a Ported box for the SUB. And it will give enough bass which can knock your head. If you're going for this setup, make sure you fill the boot door with cloth waste and change the panel there to MDF.
This option wont be much helpful when you plan to upgrade later.
Old 25th July 2006, 20:47   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks JK.

Will I get decent bass if I use a AMP or will I ruin the speakers. The speakers are only 260W. What is the AMP output rating that I need to source?

Will good quality tweeters in the front have any benefit? What is the best way to install a SUB in ALTO keeping in mind the space constraints?
So u were right in ur previous post that u have not learned much!!!

Amplifier will never ruin speaker if its either evenly powerd or just overpowered.
260W is in PMPO u r talking about.RMS should be around 50-70W.

Tweeters r always good components to have in ur ICE.

In ur budget u can go for sony 504 amp+sonyw subw but dont expect much SQ.
If u r looking for good SQ setup,do show us ur bank balance.
Old 25th July 2006, 21:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr

Amplifier will never ruin speaker if its either evenly powerd or just overpowered.
Amplifier will always ruin speaker if it is overpowered. Under normal operating conditions, excess of power is the only thing that ruins speakers, nothing else, be it in the form of simply exceeding rated wattage, or clipping the amplifier.

When people recommend amplifiers with higher power ratings than the speakers, the idea is to have more headroom. This is a good thing, but never rules out the possibility of blowing a speaker without running the amplifier into clipping. Lower powered amplifiers would clip to deliver more power and blow it. Same difference. Sensible use however keeps the chances low regardless of whether the amp is more, or less powerful. The only thing you can't do is like use a 5W amp to blow, say a 100 W woofer, no matter how much you clip it. That's impossible.
Old 25th July 2006, 21:33   #57
Senior - BHPian

So is 20 % more a good yardstick fro amp power... in other words of the Speakers are rated 100 w Continuous... buy an amp that will do 120 watts @ 1.0 THD
Old 25th July 2006, 21:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
So is 20 % more a good yardstick fro amp power... in other words of the Speakers are rated 100 w Continuous... buy an amp that will do 120 watts @ 1.0 THD
Depends on the music you listen to actually. And the way you listen to it too. Some audiophiles use upto twice the rated power too. There's no formula on that one.
Old 25th July 2006, 21:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

I thought DAMPING FACTOR contributes more to HEADROOM that just the wattage.. is that correct?
Old 25th July 2006, 21:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
I thought DAMPING FACTOR contributes more to HEADROOM that just the wattage.. is that correct?
Really sorry guys, all this is flying over my head. I can make head or tail of what this means. Is there a dummy's or layman's explaination for this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks